PDA

View Full Version : U.N. Report Declares Internet Access a Human Right

EAGLE EYE
06-05-2011, 08:45 PM
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/06/internet-a-human-right/

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-05-2011, 10:51 PM
what's your opinion?

Obviously it's not a necessity to survival in a literal sense, but I agree with this...once a technology or information source becomes as ubiquitous as the internet has, it sort of does become a basic human right. Without iit, you're automatically behind the majority of humanity in the same way that you would be without water and electricity. At the same time, that is a sign of the crazy and absurd times we're in that this would be declared by the UN.

beautifulrock
06-05-2011, 11:38 PM
They want this because the internet is the easiest tool to spy and profile with. Read between the lines.

EAGLE EYE
06-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Well..

it is a double edged sword. (Look what wikileaks did)

However, in order for the human species to progress we need the digital-divide gap to be closed at some point, so everyone is on the same page.

I still believe the benefits will outweigh the consequences in the long run. Humans are always going to spy on humans. Nothing will change that. I'd rather see people reevaluate the importance of privacy in their lives and understand that the argument which many institutions put forth, about "no worrying if you have nothing to hide" is absurd and can't hold it's weight in an argument.

This article: http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Privacy-Matters-Even-if/127461

was one of the best things I've read this year.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Well..

it is a double edged sword. (Look what wikileaks did)

However, in order for the human species to progress we need the digital-divide gap to be closed at some point, so everyone is on the same page.

I still believe the benefits will outweigh the consequences in the long run. Humans are always going to spy on humans. Nothing will change that. I'd rather see people reevaluate the importance of privacy in their lives and understand that the argument which many institutions put forth, about "no worrying if you have nothing to hide" is absurd and can't hold it's weight in an argument.

This article: http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Privacy-Matters-Even-if/127461

was one of the best things I've read this year.

that article is essential reading

TSA
06-06-2011, 03:54 AM
They want this because the internet is the easiest tool to spy and profile with. Read between the lines.
no, 'they' want it because surpressing it is a form of surpressing someone freedom of speech, assembly, and press all in one blow and people blocking internet access are most of the time seedy megalomaniacs with intent to manipulate a select population and hide their illegitimacy

Frank Sobotka
06-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Of course they have ulterior motives but that doesn't mean it isn't a necessary step in progress. Rome wasn't build in a day.

Uncle Steezo
06-06-2011, 07:17 AM
the web is humanity's collective conscious. read up on cliff high and the web bot project. this dude is studying trending on a whole new angle and coming up with interesting results.

hes finding that humanity and the web is a two way street of sorts that people can create trends and that the web trends can actually be used to predict events or even manifest events.

this gets into yamish stuff like the innate intuitive ability of humans but yeah....

back on topic. its like the world has connected brains and dumped all the info in it. its like if you ain't on the web then you aint part of the human race 2.0