PDA

View Full Version : Cage - Hell's Winter

Tres.Bo.
10-22-2005, 06:23 PM
http://www.hiphopgalaxy.com/IMG/arton2107-150x150.jpg

1) Good Morning
2) Too Heavy For Cherubs
3) Grand Ol' Party Crash (w/ Jello Biafra)
4) The Death of Chris Palko (w/ Camu Tao)
5) Stripes
6) Shoot Frank (w/ Daryl Palumbo)
7) Scenester
8) Perfect World
9) The Subtle Art of Breakup Song
10) Peeranoia
11) Left it to Us (w/ Aesop Rock, El-P, Tame 1, Yak Ballz)
12) Public Property
13) Lord Have Mercy
14) Hell's Winter

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
10-22-2005, 06:29 PM
This album is dope. One more classic in the legacy of definitive jux.

----> 9

Wzarecta
10-23-2005, 07:12 AM
Great album. 9/10

hellbound
10-23-2005, 10:32 AM
8/10

i liked 'Movies for the Blind' better, but this one did have better production. still a nice album though.

Shin Densetsu
10-31-2005, 06:43 PM
I gave it a 9, it was so close to being perfect, but the dude on "kill frank" RUINED the chorus(instrumental by RJD2 was alright but seriously I was expecting more out of RJ). and I wasn't really feeling "the subtle art of breakup song". Other than that the rest of the album is BLISS, some straight heaters, and the posse cuts on here are tight, amps me up and all that. Production wise for the most part this album is very well crafted, EL-P's beats have much depth and are addicting, Camu Tao shines on this, and the DJ Shadow track is a heater for sure, I could care less for politics but that song on there is AWESOME and quite possibly the song I bump the most from it. This album can be listened to straight through for the most part. Very deep and personal, I anticipated it since I heard "Hellz winter" on the def jux teaser during summer and this LP was every bit as good as I thought it would be. One of my contenders for album of the year for sure!

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
10-31-2005, 07:00 PM
co-sign, that chorus was wack, he should have got some black dude that could sing

Shin Densetsu
10-31-2005, 07:03 PM
To be honest I think it would have been better had it just been an RJD2 vocal sample chorus like he usually does on other songs, it surprised the hell out of me when I realized for this one they got an actual dude to sing, I dunno RJ's been doing that recently, getting cats to sing live for the chorus, it kinda kills the richness of his instrumentals to me.

Cage did admit the dude on that song is one of his friends so thats why he let him on.

TerroristTY
10-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Album of the year.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
RJD2 makes different beats than to his more complicated cuts on his album, personally I would like to see some multi layed beats for whatever mc he is producing. Can't bitch tho, the albums got him, el-p and dj shadow. Blockhead puts out nice tracks also.

Create
10-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Album of the year.
I LIKE THE ALBUM

BUT NAH

THAT SPOT GOES TO SEAN PRICE MONKEY BARZ

iNtell3kT
11-11-2005, 07:05 AM
i was a lil bit disapointed, it gets a 7, i like it, but it seems like its missing somthing, it really does, maybe an 8 if there were more guess appearences

P-Noid Brown
02-09-2006, 12:03 PM
I Feel Some Of The Concepts Coulda Been Raw-er He Definitely Should Have Had A Lil More Production But The Album Is Hot Definitely Mature And I Feel That Subtle Art Of A Break Up Song Should Have Molded This Album...that Song Is Pure Bananas....i Think That And Left It To Us Was Hot And That Death Of Chris Palko Shoulda Been Longer Minus Camu-tao....cause Camu Ripped It But It Throws Off The FORMULA Of The SONG. I Personally Feel That Perfect World Should Have Been The Video Shot....it Woulda Been Hotter ALL CHICKS N SHIT IN THE VIDEO BACKIN IT UP. And That Dude Definitely Fucked Up Shoot Frank Lol

Antibody
02-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Wicked album... 8/10. Only complaint is I find the Perfect world beat kinda boring/repetative.

WTJ
02-11-2006, 06:20 PM
I give it a 7/10 El-P and the others went hard on the production tip. And I definitely consider this to be the "straight edge" Cage's version of Movies For the Blind(which is still a dope album no matter how lame Eastern Conference is)

iniquity
02-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Can somebody upload this?

brown_dogg
02-25-2006, 03:02 PM
I think this album deserves a 9. Cage really stepped it up with this album. He went from "Fuck your head up like cornrows put in by blind giants" to good shit like "If the opposite of pro is con then look beyond this, the opposite of congress must be progress". The beats are also really really nice, some of them could have been tuned up a bit though.

PANDA PISS
11-26-2006, 05:31 PM
this is classic, i been sleeping on this for like a year
by far the best thing cage has ever done
introspective, emotional, engaging, original, musical
this album has blown me away over the last week
i just been listening to it non stop
i always liked el-ps shit, and i think this is the best production of his career on this album
cage has finally proved himself as a rapper, before he was just like necro/eminem/copywrite etc
i think this album proves hes a better rapper than all those 3

RynMur
12-01-2006, 03:22 AM
I give it a 9.5/10. Fav Track: Subtle Art Of The Breakup Song

KIND
11-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Great album. 9/10

Fav track Perfect World

GhettoGnom
11-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Def a great album... 9/10.... Not a single track I don't like... And the singer on Shoot Frank is dope, regardless of what idiots bringing race into every got damn thing say.

graffitiwhat
11-12-2007, 06:32 AM
co-sign, that chorus was wack, he should have got some black dude that could sing

the dude on the chorus is daryl palumbo hes the singer for the band glassjaw and head automatica hes cages friend and down with the weathermen and cardboard city, but i can see why many of you dont like it, i dont mind it tho

Dr Sleepwalker
11-16-2007, 07:42 PM
9.5/10... albums a fuckin' classic.

pea2e

DR. NICK RIVIERA
11-18-2007, 11:21 AM
darryl palumbo is siiiick, too ill

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
11-18-2007, 01:11 PM
great fucking album my homie put me onto cage and i love his shit fuck what eminem says