PDA

View Full Version : Employers will soon be able to see everything you faggits have ever posted online

food for thought
06-28-2011, 10:26 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2008231/How-youve-EVER-said-internet-seen-employers-government-approves-Social-Intelligence-Corp.html#ixzz1QQLV98Ql

How anything you've EVER said on the internet could be seen by employers as Feds approve firm that dishes dirt on applicants

Company keeps information on its records for SEVEN YEARS
Uses special software to track down applicants' online pseudonyms
Means social media postings will become regular part of job application process

Government rules company doesn't breach regulations
By FIONA ROBERTS
Last updated at 12:04 PM on 27th June 2011

Comments (42)
Add to My Stories
The Federal Trade Commission has approved a controversial firm which scours social media sites to check on job applicants.

It means anything you've ever said in public on sites including Facebook, Twitter and even Craigslist could be seen by your would-be employer.

The Washington-based commission has ruled the firm, Social Intelligence Corporation, complies with the Fair Credit Reporting Act - even though it keeps the results of its searches on file for seven years.

Dishing the dirt: Social Intelligence Corporation performs background checks by scouring job applicants' social media accounts

It raises the frightening prospect of any social media posting, even it's years old or was meant as a joke, being used in background checks.

Applicants who use online pseudonyms aren't safe, either - the firm uses special software to link those nicknames with real, offline names known to employers.

More...
Too big for Google? Rejected job applicant claims search engine discriminates against fat people
The Kindle slayer? New 'flipback' book printed on wafer-thin Bible paper to take on high-tech competition
One applicant found himself out of the running for a job after being branded racist because he once joined a Facebook group called 'I shouldn't have to press one for English. We are in the United States. Learn the language.'

Social Intelligence Corp scours everything from social networking sites, such as Facebook, to video and picture sharing websites as well as blogs and wikis.

Controversial: One applicant was turned down for a job after the firm discovered he had joined a group like this on Facebook and ruled he had 'racist tendencies'

The company has defended its policy of keeping the searches on file, saying it's for compliance reasons only.

BIG BROTHER FEARS: SO WHERE DO THEY LOOK?
The firm searches any information which is publicly available online. It includes:

Social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter;
Professional networking sites such as LinkedIn;
Video and photo-sharing sites like Flickr and YouTube;
Commercial sites such as eBay and Craigslist;
Blogs and 'wikis'.
It says the negative findings are not re-used if a new employer runs a check on an applicant.

Its chief operating officer, Geoffrey Andrews, said: 'We are not... building a “database” on individuals that will be evaluated each time they apply for a job and potentially could be used adversely even if they have cleaned up their profiles.'

One of the reports, released to Forbes magazine, flagged an applicant for 'demonstrating potentially violent behaviour' because he'd posted a photograph of him holding a gun on his Facebook account.

Another was flagged for 'illegal activity' after putting an advert on Craigslist searching for the drug Oxycontin.

So far the company says it has found 'negative' online postings in up to 20 per cent of applicants it's been asked to investigate.

Background checks: Max Drucker, the firm's CEO, argues the firm 's methods are fairer than if employers simply Google candidates, which can be discriminatory

Social Intelligence Corp. was founded a year ago, and soon afterwards the Federal Trade Commission began investigating over fears it could be in breach of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

DISHING THE DIRT: SO WHAT DO THEY FIND?
According to Social Intelligence Corporation's chief operating officer:

20 per cent of candidates don't appear on the internet at all;
60 per cent have a neutral or positive online 'footprint';
Up to 20 per cent of candidates have something 'negative' about them on the internet, especially when the pool is younger;
That figure falls to around five per cent for younger candidates.
But the government has now dropped its inquiry, ruling the company is within the rules as long as it lets applicants know whether they failed to get a job as a result of the report.

It also changed the wording on it permission form - which all applicants must sign before the checks are carried out - to make sure they know exactly what will be checked during the review.

Social Intelligence Corp says its reports are fairer than if employers simply Google candidates.

The reports only take into account 'job-threatening' characteristics - such as criminal activity - and does not include personal information, such as sexuality or religion, which an employee legally cannot see.

Applicants can also dispute the report's findings, and the offending record will be deleted if it is found to be incorrect.

Mr Andrews told Forbes: 'I like to think we are providing a service not just by screening for employers, but in helping to protect job applicants by creating a standard process for online background checks and a service that presents them with reports on negative material.'

Frank Sobotka
06-28-2011, 10:27 AM
* Deletes Account*

PANDA PISS
06-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Based on this I'm never gonna get a job. Unless the job is 'Wise-Ass' or 'Sexual Predator'.

food for thought
06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
I was thinking the employers wont have much to pick from either

since most people will be black listed basically

Art Vandelay
06-28-2011, 10:42 AM
if you knew every single detail about every single person, you would never hire them, date them or even be friends with them

IrOnMaN
06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
They won't find anything bad on my Facebook account. I don't have a Twitter account either. So, no worries there.

food for thought
06-28-2011, 10:44 AM
ahahaha

u posted your meat on here bro

EAGLE EYE
06-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I read about this the other day.

It's pretty much restricted to public facebook & twitter accounts and a few other services. If you use the same aliases, primary email addresses, and other details... then thats the only way they can build a pool of information. What they claim they can do, can already be done. They just automated it, and it's probably half assed.

Message boards aren't even mentioned in todays times, since the popularity of these has decreased.

However Tectrus Moa posted his full legal name on here. That was bright.

Mr. R&B
06-28-2011, 11:10 AM
if you knew every single detail about every single person, you would never hire them, date them or even be friends with them

There's a large degree of truth to that statement.

IrOnMaN
06-28-2011, 11:11 AM
I read about this the other day.

It's pretty much restricted to public facebook & twitter accounts and a few other services. If you use the same aliases, primary email addresses, and other details... then thats the only way they can build a pool of information. What they claim they can do, can already be done. They just automated it, and it's probably half assed.

Message boards aren't even mentioned in todays times, since the popularity of these has decreased.

However Tectrus Moa posted his full legal name on here. That was bright.

There are several people who names have been posted on WTC. Please don't single me out, Rob.

EAGLE EYE
06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm aware of that, however someone like skampoe isn't applying for jobs and style works for himself.

Did you use your real email when registering here lol?

Frank Sobotka
06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm aware of that, however someone like skampoe isn't applying for jobs and style works for himself.

Did you use your real email when registering here lol?
Why waste time making another email?

IrOnMaN
06-28-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm aware of that, however someone like skampoe isn't applying for jobs and style works for himself. [.QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that more people have had their full names posted on this site.

[QUOTE=Robbie Sinclair;2118199]Did you use your real email when registering here lol?

What difference does it make, Rob? It's still me, regardless if I use an e-mail address that I forgot about ages ago.

Lex Lugor
06-28-2011, 02:03 PM
They won't find anything bad on my Facebook account. I don't have a Twitter account either. So, no worries there.

ahahaha

:'(

Sky Blue Bally Kid
06-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Wu-Tang Corp>>>>Social Intelligence Corp

diggy
06-28-2011, 05:37 PM
I have absolutely NO WORRIES. I am not a member of fb or twitter cuz I always saw the downside of puttin ya bizness online. If people are smart, knowing future employers will google ya name to find out info, people will use those sites to make themselves look good and hireable.

Ya, tectrus, bad move postin nut pics seeking wucorp approval, lol (and smh) and ya name.

EAGLE EYE
06-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Ya I don't recall Frederick Douglass leaving a trail of bread crumbs or red lobster receipts, so the slave owners could find him and run game on his backside

BASCO
06-28-2011, 06:33 PM
i could be a psycho and still be a brilliant worker

honestly, i don't see what more employers can gain with this than with an interview

BASCO
06-28-2011, 06:35 PM
wait this is in UK, americans won't stand for this nonsense

Frank Sobotka
06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Just googled myself and I have nothing to worry about it, one of the only hits is my participation in the World Championship of karate.

EAGLE EYE
06-28-2011, 07:07 PM
wait this is in UK, americans won't stand for this nonsense

It's a UK publication reporting an American story. Pretty sure the FTC doesn't exist in Europe..

All the services listed that they search require email addresses that are often publicly displayed through your profiles. That's how they make the connections..

The idiots on this site should be more concerned with googles new "search by image" which let's you base results off an image upload or URL.

So uploading an ET dick .jpg may result in a match of tetris moa's degree. That's how knowledge is born in '11

IrOnMaN
06-28-2011, 07:41 PM
I have absolutely NO WORRIES. I am not a member of fb or twitter cuz I always saw the downside of puttin ya bizness online. If people are smart, knowing future employers will google ya name to find out info, people will use those sites to make themselves look good and hireable.

Well, I googled my name and nothing BAD came up. As it was mentioned in the article, companies use special software to track down one's internet life.

EAGLE EYE
07-07-2011, 10:04 PM
This article came out today shedding more light on this new practice and company..

http://gizmodo.com/5818774/this-is-a-social-media-background-check

All the fear mongering can stop, because they can only run a check using the email address or other social contacts YOU put on the resume.

I personally have set aside an email address that is used strictly for career related stuff or for personal branding.

Another interesting tidbit: It only uses the data an employer gives it to run a search. This tends to be standard issue information from your resume. Your name, your university, your email address and physical location. Which means that, ultimately, you are the one supplying all the data for a background check. Because you are the one who supplies that data to your employer. And that means you should be smart about what kinds of contact information you put on your resume.
Your personal email address, especially if you've had it for a long time, could have all kinds of things tied to it that you'd rather an employer not see. Spend the nothing it costs to set up a dedicated job search email account, and list that one on your c.v.

diggy
07-07-2011, 11:10 PM
How can the average person get a hold of this scanning software?

EAGLE EYE
07-07-2011, 11:32 PM
How can the average person get a hold of this scanning software?

That's not how it works. This company is a startup and they've built an infrastructure up and will probably lease API access to developers or possibly provide a web based dashboard that recruiting firms can tap into.

diggy
07-07-2011, 11:40 PM
OK.

Too bad. Now I can't know wikifacts about those in ma cypha.

BLACK BART SIMPSON
07-08-2011, 12:28 AM
slowly but surely americans are losing their freedom and anonimity... its fucking gaay.. rebel and KTA

llBARlllCODEll
07-08-2011, 12:32 AM
looks like buckshotstheone wont be gettin any jobs near any fattys

RzaRectum
07-08-2011, 02:05 AM

ahahaha

:'(

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Perhaps the mods can delete all the relevant posts by request if you dig'em up yourself. At least the search engines would eventually stop indexing them. Would be a good idea to start using a different email when registering for jobs. Don't let the info cross over by intermingling real life and alter ego activities. Don't use pseudo versions of the existing info (email accounts and screen names).

PANDA PISS
07-08-2011, 05:02 AM
looks like buckshotstheone wont be gettin any jobs near any fattys

haha, there goes that job at Lane Bryant where he was planning to mack on the chicks there like some greasy player.

g_flex
07-08-2011, 08:38 AM
these corporate cunts have started doing this at my company,
secretly checking if anyone is talk shit about the company, what a bunch of insecure
cunts

JASPER
07-08-2011, 09:50 AM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/robochrist/ce70f52e.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff449/robochrist1/c3ebd166.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff449/robochrist1/ebec1976.jpg

wuswordz95
07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
cool it doesnt apply to the wu corp. i could post all types of shit in here. i like when this 17 year old at my job shows her cleavage and i like lookinh at her legs and getting a hard on then releiving myself in the restroom.

llBARlllCODEll
07-08-2011, 08:03 PM
another year and she can provide relief