PDA

View Full Version : Did Microsoft Buy Skype to Spy on You?

EAGLE EYE
07-18-2011, 03:00 AM
BY John Thorpe

Of course they did. They'll deny it, because they're a corporation and they have secrets to protect, profits to make, and apparently, millions of Americans to spy on.

They might be able to hire wonderful PR firms and amazing lawyers, but they cannot hide from the truth. And the truth is this: In December 2009, Microsoft (http://www.benzinga.com/news/11/06/1204310/did-microsoft-buy-skype-to-spy-on-you-probably) applied for a patent to legally intercept VoIP phone calls. In May 2011, Microsoft bought Skype, the VoIP phone call company. If you think that's a big fat coincidence, I have a bridge to sell you.

Why else would they have bought the US$8.5 billion company? Even Wired.com couldn't figure out (http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/05/microsoft-buys-skype-2/) Microsoft's rationale in buying Skype (http://www.benzinga.com/news/11/06/1204310/did-microsoft-buy-skype-to-spy-on-you-probably), saying: "Ultimately, it's hard to see how the Skype purchase is worthwhile from a technology or user-access perspective. The technology isn't good enough and the users aren't lucrative enough or plentiful enough to justify it."

You can, however, completely justify it if Microsoft intends to provide the government with a means to eavesdrop and record phone users. Their patent application makes it clear that Microsoft intends to pursue eavesdropping technology for VoIP. By patenting it now, Microsoft can be the sole provider of surveillance of the next generation of phone usage.

This has ramifications beyond just government spying, although that is perhaps the most damning possibility. Microsoft could, for example, use the technology to monitor every phone conversation over VoIP and, using data-mining techniques, determine which users are most likely to buy certain products.

They could sell that data to telemarketers, who could then tailor their obnoxious phone calls to specific individuals. It's creepy enough that Facebook reads my status updates and automatically places ads based on the keywords I write.

Who's to say this new system will be hack-proof? Do I really want to risk people listening in on my conversation with the pizza company, where I give them my credit card info? How hard would it be to filter common words I say and use that data to reverse-engineer my passwords? Will one girlfriend be able to track when I talk to the other girlfriends?

Yet, it is government's ability and desire to spy on Americans that makes this patent downright scary. How quickly can it recoup that US$8.5 billion by pimping itself out to the government? Microsoft has already chosen profits over principle once before, deciding to stay in China despite China's oppressive regime and anti-free speech censorship policies. It's not like spying on Americans is that far-fetched for the software giant.

The best part? There isn't a damn thing you can do about it, other than not use their products. The Constitution, which in theory protects you from government abuse, does not protect you from private company abuse. Good luck with that, America.

This is a cross-post from Benzinga.com (http://www.designtaxi.com/article/101668/Did-Microsoft-Buy-Skype-to-Spy-on-You/%E2%80%9Chttp://www.benzinga.com%E2%80%9D)

Image from Skype Media Library

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-18-2011, 03:27 AM
i've been trying to tell people about how all of these corporations and social networking tools are fondling your privacy and anally raping your rights in an effort to sell you shit you don't need, but people just look at me like i'm palehorse. oh well...

RzaRectum
07-18-2011, 03:46 AM
It might be easier to tell them these companies make millions of dollars from harvesting personal information and selling it to 3rd party corporations so they can play farmville for "free" (making the quotation hand sign as it is said).

LORD NOSE
07-19-2011, 08:37 PM
how were they spying on us before ?

Fresh
07-19-2011, 08:46 PM
or maybe they bought it just to intergate into their products ??

someone on xbox talking to someone on PC or their mobiles or whatever. pretty cool

and im sure theyre gonna make that 8billion back in like 4 months. seriously, how much do microsoft make a year? easily triple that id say

check two
07-19-2011, 08:47 PM
yahoo is where it's at, skype is for middle schoolers

mcca555
07-19-2011, 11:32 PM
i aint about to read all that bull shit but if microsoft wanna spy on me websexing it's all good....... aint even asking for no royalties or nuffin ya dig

outskies
HOLLA

EAGLE EYE
07-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Did you guys miss the part about the patent they filed in 2009?

Otherwise this story wouldn't be on the radar.

PALEFORCE
07-19-2011, 11:58 PM
get this and be free

https://www.cryptocloud.com/

WARPATH
07-20-2011, 12:27 AM
i've been trying to tell people about how all of these corporations and social networking tools are fondling your privacy and anally raping your rights in an effort to sell you shit you don't need, but people just look at me like i'm palehorse. Oh well...

l o l

mcca555
07-20-2011, 12:30 AM
they can't sell me shit if i dont have money

#imjustsayin

WARPATH
07-20-2011, 12:31 AM
how were they spying on us before ?

I don't have the documentation now, can't remember all the details but on the xbox they log basically everything they can get on you. LOL

mcca555
07-20-2011, 12:36 AM
as long as the sluts are willing to strip on FB..... they can log all my xbox shift as often as they want

hell they can record my shit

[chris] I dont gib a daaaaaaaaaamnnnnn [/tucker]

diggy
07-20-2011, 12:39 AM
They couldn't get me.

I saw immediately what these 'social networks' are.

check two
07-20-2011, 12:41 AM
as long as the sluts are willing to strip on FB..... they can log all my xbox shift as often as they want

hell they can record my shit

[chris] I dont gib a daaaaaaaaaamnnnnn [/tucker]

its not worth it for those fat chicks

mcca555
07-20-2011, 12:43 AM
a way for bitches to say they horny

fuck em in butt and chow down on some pizza, pepperoni

mcca555
07-20-2011, 12:46 AM
its not worth it for those fat chicks

fat chicks need love too
ass long as the face aint on some lady ga ga shit
also the pudge cannot act as a barrier

bitch gotta shower too and cook some food. if you know how to eat u best damn well know how to cook

on the outro tip

we outta here

diggy
07-20-2011, 12:51 AM
unfortunatly it does not work that all fat peeps know how to cook.

I find it's the opposite - that many of them don't cook and eat out a lot - eating fatty, salty, sugary foods, which leads to fat.

check two
07-20-2011, 12:56 AM
plus fat people eat everything that is in their cupboards, friend's cupboards, and neighbor's cupboard's.

mcca555
07-20-2011, 12:59 AM
unfortunatly it does not work that all fat peeps know how to cook.

I find it's the opposite - that many of them don't cook and eat out a lot - eating fatty, salty, sugary foods, which leads to fat.

bahahahaha this nigga speaks truth how da fuck to i rep this man

and why da fuck my rep power zero

dat shit should be at least a million

mcca555
07-20-2011, 01:01 AM
im saying which would you unwilling touch only to save your dick

queen latifah or that BET hoe monique
or
lady ga ga or that maryln manson chick

Soul Controller
07-21-2011, 07:38 AM
8W39rA5zz8c