PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots

IrOnMaN
09-18-2011, 03:09 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2011/09/16/news/economy/bloomberg_jobs_riots/bloomberg-jobs-riot.gi.top.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is worried that high U.S. unemployment could lead to the same kind of riots here that have swept through Europe and North Africa.

"You have a lot of kids graduating college, [who] can't find jobs," said Bloomberg, during his weekly radio show on Friday. "That's what happened in Cairo. That's what happened in Madrid. You don't want those kinds of riots here."

That was the mayor's response when asked about the poverty rate (http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/news/economy/poverty_rate_income/index.htm?iid=EL), which rose to 15.1% in 2010, its highest level since 1993, according to census data released Tuesday. About 46.2 million people are now living in poverty, 2.6 million more than last year.

"The public is not happy," he said. "The public knows there is something wrong in this country, and there is. The bottom line is that they're upset."
Riots have gripped (http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/09/technology/amazon_riot/index.htm?iid=EL) various countries in European cities (http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/16/news/international/geithner_eurozone_debt.cnnw/index.htm?iid=EL), including Athens and London, fueled by young people infuriated by high unemployment and austerity measures, which in some cases has led to looting. High unemployment among youth is also one of the driving forces behind the Arab Spring, as impoverished protestors in North Africa and the Middle East rose up against their heavy-handed governments.

"The damage to a generation that can't find jobs will go on for many, many years," said Bloomberg.

The mayor, an independent, criticized the partisan politics that have stymied progress in Congress (http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/16/news/economy/debt_limit_spending/index.htm?iid=EL), and the inability of Republicans and Democrats to compromise on ways to fix the economy.

"There is no overnight solution," he said."You look at the president's proposals. At least he's got some ideas on the table, whether you like those or not."

"The only way you solve this problems is that everybody pays a little more and everybody gets a little less," he added.

The economy added no jobs in August (http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/02/news/economy/jobs_report_unemployment/index.htm?iid=EL), according to the Labor Department, for the first time since February, 1945.

The unemployment rate is 9.1%, but many experts say that figure is misleading. They prefer to use the so-called underemployment rate, which includes people who have given up their search for jobs as well as people who want to work full-time but are forced to work part-time.

The underemployment rate is 16.2%.http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/16/news/economy/bloomberg_jobs_riots/?npt=NP1

Obama and his administration cannot milk this and I'm not optimistic about his new job plan. Most likely, it won't deliver to the people who REALLY need it! Reports indicate that employment wasn't added in the month of August. Let's face it, America will be in the hole for a while and things will become worse in the future. The American Family is breaking apart and it's due to money. Thanksgiving may not be possible for some and a large American population can forget about Christmas!

The suicide and the homeless rate at this point must be extremely disturbing for a very obvious reason. Money! That's what life IS ALL ABOUT, PEOPLE! Money! Jobs!

JASPER
09-18-2011, 03:13 PM
If most people got up and said this, it would be considered 'incitement'. Bloomberg should know better than to mention riots, but he does have a habit of shooting off his mouth. Let's hope that the job situation turns around before people decide to riot. On, the other hand, if it doesn't turn around, America will be a Third World country made of a few very rich people and an impoverished working majority, and then, even mentioning riots will set them off, so maybe it's best to raise the possibility now

EAGLE EYE
09-18-2011, 04:26 PM
If Foxconn workers are being replaced by robots, its only a matter of time before the service job industry follows suit.

The idea of bringing manufacturing jobs to the US is laughable as we approach the singularity.

Tea party people are short sighted fucktards

IrOnMaN
09-18-2011, 05:07 PM
If Foxconn workers are being replaced by robots, its only a matter of time before the service job industry follows suit.

The idea of bringing manufacturing jobs to the US is laughable as we approach the singularity.

In my opinion, that WILL spark riots. What people need to understand that we're advancing technologically, hence why the economy is the way that it is. Music artists can't even make a living anymore due to the internet.

In regards to robots replacing humans, it WILL happen, depending on the company. Companies would most likely would hire programmers and maintenance guys to maintain the robots. As a result, that would have people competing for those jobs at a violent level. The education business would burst because of the student load debt.

I hate to say this but if our "leaders" can't bring America back to where it once was before, my generation is screwed!

EAGLE EYE
09-18-2011, 08:34 PM
LOL @ the idea programmers getting violent.

I would only get violent if the price of coffee quadrupled.

People shouldn't panic because most often when an old industry dies or some sort of disruptive technology comes along; entirely new fields of work arise in the aftermath. You just need to pay attention. There are discussions like this occuring all over the web: http://www.ted.com/conversations/3409/will_there_be_jobs_in_the_futu.html

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-18-2011, 08:38 PM
he is right that partisan pissing contests have stifled any progress that could be made on "fixing the economy"...widespread rioting may not happen, but, at least where i live, there has been a huge increase in robberies and violent crime over the last 3-4 years, which has to be linked to unemployment and "austerity measures".

b-dolo
09-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Seems like the middle class is getting smaller and smaller. If there are going to be riots, its going to be class warfare. I am not saying anytime soon, but the level of disparity between the upper class and everyone else is growing rapidly.

Socrates92
09-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Riots are fun

drippie k
09-19-2011, 09:25 PM
I was just sayin that shi to my buddy yesterday too, that all those riots n protests over there could very well start over here to. Maybe thats we need!!

food for thought
09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
^yea rite, martial law will be declared in no time

J-Cee
09-19-2011, 09:36 PM

diggy
09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
^yea rite, martial law will be declared in no time

That would only make the conspiracy theorist right, then expect the worst.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
09-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Ha this is just proof modern people are stupid.

People not having jobs... lol

jnEKSYPEbGQ&feature=related

Frank Sobotka
09-20-2011, 10:38 AM
LOL @ the idea programmers getting violent.

I would only get violent if the price of coffee quadrupled.

People shouldn't panic because most often when an old industry dies or some sort of disruptive technology comes along; entirely new fields of work arise in the aftermath. You just need to pay attention. There are discussions like this occuring all over the web: http://www.ted.com/conversations/3409/will_there_be_jobs_in_the_futu.html
Only jobs that won't be obsolete in the future are prostitution, athletes & possibly music/movies.

RADIOACTIVE MAN
09-20-2011, 03:06 PM
the media is making people more uneasy about this crisis, they are over dramatizing this shit,granted Obama is useless but they doing too much too

CEITEDMOFO
09-20-2011, 03:43 PM
THESE AMERICANS WONT DO SHIT LIKE THOSE PUSSY COUNTRIEs

IF U RIOT IN AMERICA YOUR GONNA GET GUNNED DOWN

EAGLE EYE
09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
the media is making people more uneasy about this crisis, they are over dramatizing this shit,granted Obama is useless but they doing too much too

IMF slashed our economy's growth projections today. They also said the world economy is entering a dangerous phase.

IrOnMaN
09-20-2011, 07:01 PM
IMF slashed our economy's growth projections today. They also said the world economy is entering a dangerous phase.

I'm not surprised given the fact that the world's population is increasing. Too many people?

PANDA PISS
09-20-2011, 07:22 PM
The point where theres more homeless and poor than there are jobs may come in our lifetime, especially with increased automation in production etc.

By then I'll probably be an old man complaining about how the world has turned shit

What the world needs is another big war, Everyone else versus China, Jackie Chan is the only one exempt. And I'm half joking, but this shit is bound to happen probably within this decade. You can tell its about to kick off.

RADIOACTIVE MAN
09-20-2011, 07:29 PM
I gotta agree with heat tho,this county is full of pussies who cannot even stand up for the smallest thing due to fear of the powers that me,aint no riot gonna haopen, as soon as that guy gets on tv and makes some outlandish promises,all these cats will fall back still hopinh for "change",pathetic, this country half the time is about people beating their chest,they don't really have that whole revolution attitude going on

I'll tell you what will happen tho,when shit hits the fan,thats when people out here with guns will go out shooting innocent people outta frustration,bread and buttered folks just can't handle 3rd world type struggle,they usually crack mentally as opposed to standing up to the powers that be, real tlk

diggy
09-20-2011, 08:19 PM
^^I have to disagree with your second paragraph. Maybe anger would be internalized and rising suicide rates would be the result instead. Killing is not an easy choice to come to. It usually takes a person with deep seated mental illness to go berzerk and shoot somebody like the man who shot Rep. Gifford and others who went on shooting sprees, but the average American...I really doubt the average American would go that way. Not everybody could kill another person.

The western way is to commit suicide when things get hard. It starts with marital or family problems because of lack of funds. Not everybody is bravehearted enough to go down like a soldier.

EAGLE EYE
09-20-2011, 08:55 PM
he can 'barely' get by on $600K lol

W5p28xShQIk

there isn't a guarantee these people reinvest into their business or other businesses, that's just an option.

Frank Sobotka
09-20-2011, 09:15 PM
he can 'barely' get by on $600K lol

W5p28xShQIk

there isn't a guarantee these people reinvest into their business or other businesses, that's just an option.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore

EAGLE EYE
09-20-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't want to live on this planet anymore

ohh it gets better... muffins $16 a piece, $8 coffees, $32 snacks and $600K just to plan five conferences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14997843

EAGLE EYE
09-20-2011, 09:29 PM
the US Justice dept cannot settle for less!

only the peasants eat $4 starbucks muffins

diggy
09-20-2011, 09:33 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/11/19/gal_guinness_tshirts.jpg

drippie k
09-21-2011, 01:09 AM
I really would like to see people in america go big like theyre doing in madrid or london, burning cop cars n shit, tossing molotovs at stores...only difference would be is that waaay more civilians hqve guns than they do over there

EAGLE EYE
09-21-2011, 01:44 AM
Yea have fun getting cooked

dmuyLIrSjxI

Or your hearing permanently damaged

QSMyY3_dmrM

Frank Sobotka
09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
ohh it gets better... muffins $16 a piece, $8 coffees, $32 snacks and $600K just to plan five conferences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14997843
Let's not forget that someone had to get paid finding those ridiculously priced products, it can't be easy finding muffins that expensive.

$inista
09-21-2011, 08:27 AM
i think we need to stop relying on government to do something , i mean any time they do something it is for the governments agenda, we the people need to rise up & do for our selves come up with our own solution , me personalty feel like we got too comfortable & now we facing the repercussions,

i think we need get on some shit like, Made in America, for Americans by Americans
and boy-cot all that other shit cause bottom line is that's where all the money, job are going all these major corporations & international companies are becoming filthy rich, straight banking off of us & anit giving shit back to the people & we the people keep buy their shit up cause we cheep & stupid, look how much shit is made in china, india tiawan, mexico, south america last time i went clothes shopping in tj maxx i could not find shit made in america & thats just depressing

we need some strong famous spokes people to start that Made in America, for Americans by Americans movement & sure enough lil by lil its gonna generate cash, supply & demand, and ultimately jobs if its not made in America dont buy it & if you do dont bitch when she goes under cause she is gonna go under it only gonna get worse befoe she gets better

THE W
09-21-2011, 08:39 AM
we dont need to no stinkin riots. we need more people to stop looking for jobs and start making them. the entrepreneurial spirit that built this country needs to be revitalized.

RADIOACTIVE MAN
09-21-2011, 10:43 AM
^^I have to disagree with your second paragraph. Maybe anger would be internalized and rising suicide rates would be the result instead. Killing is not an easy choice to come to. It usually takes a person with deep seated mental illness to go berzerk and shoot somebody like the man who shot Rep. Gifford and others who went on shooting sprees, but the average American...I really doubt the average American would go that way. Not everybody could kill another person.

The western way is to commit suicide when things get hard. It starts with marital or family problems because of lack of funds. Not everybody is bravehearted enough to go down like a soldier.

now that i think about it,you do make a great point there, i can see thhis really going down..usually happens when they aint built for struggle like that

RADIOACTIVE MAN
09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
i think we need to stop relying on government to do something , i mean any time they do something it is for the governments agenda, we the people need to rise up & do for our selves come up with our own solution , me personalty feel like we got too comfortable & now we facing the repercussions,

i think we need get on some shit like, Made in America, for Americans by Americans
and boy-cot all that other shit cause bottom line is that's where all the money, job are going all these major corporations & international companies are becoming filthy rich, straight banking off of us & anit giving shit back to the people & we the people keep buy their shit up cause we cheep & stupid, look how much shit is made in china, india tiawan, mexico, south america last time i went clothes shopping in tj maxx i could not find shit made in america & thats just depressing

we need some strong famous spokes people to start that Made in America, for Americans by Americans movement & sure enough lil by lil its gonna generate cash, supply & demand, and ultimately jobs if its not made in America dont buy it & if you do dont bitch when she goes under cause she is gonna go under it only gonna get worse befoe she gets better

whilst some of your points may be true,u still dont get the main thing here..if you did that,america as a whole,everything that keeps it going would fall, the reason why it relies in trade with other countries is because they have the resources america doesnt..America is one countries that relies greatly on import and if this country decided to stop an exchange and just keep it on an import only level,the fucking fees and money this country would have to spend would be over the roof,infact the economy would prolly hurt worse, not to mention those people out there would do any jo for peanuts which keeps the import/export rates at a good rate in Americas favor because the hassle of pumping money into labor is minimized

diggy
09-21-2011, 11:31 AM
we dont need to no stinkin riots. we need more people to stop looking for jobs and start making them. the entrepreneurial spirit that built this country needs to be revitalized.

True.

$inista
09-21-2011, 05:38 PM
whilst some of your points may be true,u still dont get the main thing here..if you did that,america as a whole,everything that keeps it going would fall, the reason why it relies in trade with other countries is because they have the resources america doesnt..America is one countries that relies greatly on import and if this country decided to stop an exchange and just keep it on an import only level,the fucking fees and money this country would have to spend would be over the roof,infact the economy would prolly hurt worse, not to mention those people out there would do any jo for peanuts which keeps the import/export rates at a good rate in Americas favor because the hassle of pumping money into labor is minimized

I see what you saying, but anit shit in Americans favor maybe the top 1%, but anit no good rates for me! for US the people we getting fucked over straight raped by these motherfuckers we anit gonna have shit to trade if it keeps going this way, people are hurting bad, middle class is evaporating i use to be now i am poor, and the this bail out bullshit that's cool they needed the help' but wheres our help & I'm not talking bout hand outs Im talking putting shit in a proper place for us as people to advance as well as the country, maybe its to late I don't know couple times the market dropped 600, 800 points she came back up but what gonna happens the day she dosent. I'm just saying we use to be a super power house & we use to do shit our selves and now we out source everything

maybe it needs to get ugly, but when it does most people anit ready, i don't think anybody really ready for some shit like that

food for thought
09-21-2011, 09:08 PM
lmao @ this discussion in this thread