PDA

View Full Version : Is It Illegal to Buy a Used CD from Your Local Record Store?

RzaRectum
10-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Is It Illegal to Buy a Used CD from Your Favorite Local Record Store?

It seems the fight over who actually owns music is never-ending. This time, the fight isn't about burning CDs, online torrents, or album leaks. It's about re-selling physical copies of a record that you bought and paid for. Who knew that this was a problem?

Well, the folks at Universal Music Group are not happy that the used CD market exists. According to Tiny Mix Tapes, Universal Music Group sued Seattle resident Troy Augusto for reselling the CDs with that cool little sticker on the front that says "Promotional Use Only, Not for Resale." (You know, the ones die-hard fans of a particular band constantly seek out?)

Though shockingly enough, the U.S. copyright law appeared to be on the consumer's side, UMG is appealing the court's decision in Augusto's favor. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, an organization dedicated entirely to "champion(ing) the public interest in every critical battle affecting digital rights" has taken on Augusto's case. And just when you thought buying used CDs from a local record store was the safe bet... think again.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2010/06/it_seems_like_the_fight.php
Thoughts?

EAGLE EYE
10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Used music has been sold for decades. This is just silly and greedy.

check two
10-07-2011, 02:37 PM
I thought music stores get the promo versions of CD's for free?

THE MASON
10-07-2011, 02:50 PM
^some of the bigger ones do, but only one copy and usually they are vastly different then the released album. most of the times, those Promo copies go out to critics and shit like that

the re sale of these things shouldnt be an issue cause they are collectible items, like i said they usual differ in some way to the actual retail copy.

like Robbie said, its just greedy and silly

Wh0am3ye?
10-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Sometimes its hard to find a fresh copy of some old releases...so used is the way to go.

THE MASON
10-07-2011, 04:08 PM
^especially hip hop.

that shit goes out of print fast.

i also happen to work at a used store lol, so i dont see any harm in buying used albums, vinyl or cd

David Daniel Davis
10-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I guess I will be going to jail for life then.

Mr. R&B
10-07-2011, 09:32 PM
GePVVH9DkPY

34T-IDwMkCg

Fuck UMG.

They're the reason Young Money is raping our earholes with that microwave poop music.

I don't give a fuck about your bottom line or profit margin, greedy reptilian scum.

RzaRectum
10-08-2011, 02:53 AM
I decided to research this topic after hearing someone say that he litigates his copyrights and was rather explicit in stating his shit better not end up on ebay or that person would be hearing from him. He went as far as saying he would litigate for as long as it took regardless of cost or time. Such emphatic aggression made me wonder if he knew something we didn't. Sure enough, tho, none of his shit is on ebay.

Frank Sobotka
10-08-2011, 04:54 AM
Kind of related, I never understood how people who admittedly buy most of their albums used complain about illegal downloading like it's so different.

The music industry is the most oppressive industry around.
There is no way a real music fan can legally get all his favourite albums without making 100k a month.

http://i.imgur.com/fv5ta.png

djskillz
10-14-2011, 06:20 AM
that's fucking stupid. there was a store in my area that had an amazing amount of used cds. i found a lot of my collection there. i was buying cds left and right for under 5 bucks. of course that store closed down.