PDA

View Full Version : Dictionary vs Your understanding of words

Big Baby Jesus 666
10-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Hello
In this thread i'd like to discuss words that you disagree with the dictionary definition.

an·thro·poid
   [an-thruh-poid]

adjective
1. resembling humans.

2. belonging or pertaining to the primate suborder Anthropoidea, characterized by a relatively flat face, dry nose, small immobile ears, and forward-facing eyes, comprising humans, apes, Old World monkeys, and New World monkeys. Compare prosimian.

that's the dictionary definition, but in my opinion it does mean that it resembles a human form, but the difference is its the characteristics that resemble ape like beings.

netscape check two
10-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Did you 'axe' me a question?

axe US, ax [ęks]
n pl axes
1. (Engineering / Tools) a hand tool with one side of its head forged and sharpened to a cutting edge, used for felling trees, splitting timber, etc. See also hatchet
an axe to grind
a. an ulterior motive
b. a grievance
c. a pet subject
the axe Informal
a. (Business / Commerce) (Business / Industrial Relations & HR Terms) dismissal, esp from employment; the sack (esp in the phrase get the axe)
b. (Business / Industrial Relations & HR Terms) Brit severe cutting down of expenditure, esp the removal of unprofitable sections of a public service
4. (Music / Instruments) US slang any musical instrument, esp a guitar or horn
vb (tr)
1. to chop or trim with an axe
2. Informal to dismiss (employees), restrict (expenditure or services), or terminate (a project)

LORD NOSE
10-11-2011, 07:31 PM
you talking shit about black people ?

netscape check two
10-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Me and big baby didn't mention anything about black people?

LORD NOSE
10-11-2011, 07:50 PM
the fucks the purpose of this thread ?

netscape check two
10-12-2011, 06:45 PM
du·pli·cate   /n., adj. ˈduplɪkɪt, ˈdyu-; v. ˈduplɪˌkeɪt, ˈdyu-/ Show Spelled [n., adj. doo-pli-kit, dyoo-; v. doo-pli-keyt, dyoo-] Show IPA noun, verb, -cat·ed, -cat·ing, adjective
noun
1. a copy exactly like an original.
2. anything corresponding in all respects to something else.
3. Cards . a duplicate game.

verb (used with object)
4. to make an exact copy of.
5. to do or perform again; repeat: He duplicated his father's way of standing with his hands in his pockets.
6. to double; make twofold.