PDA

View Full Version : Virtues and Vices

diggy
10-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Could virtue be summed up with one word, and could vice be summed up as well - In other words, in one word, what is virtue, and in one word what is vice?

Are these all there is or are there more?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Iau3R3yMIr4/TDfa3DLZ52I/AAAAAAAACWI/yRc1v6O86fc/s1600/NE-Table.gif

Do you have virtues/vices?

How do you get rid of the vices and turn them into virtues?

TheBoarzHeadBoy
10-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Could virtue be summed up with one word, and could vice be summed up as well - In other words, in one word, what is virtue, and in one word what is vice?

Virtue: Virtue

Vice: Vice

Now reconsider what you just asked and formulate a new question.

diggy
10-22-2011, 08:31 PM
A word cannot be defined with itself. That is taught in grade school English class.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
10-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Virtue: Anti-Vice

Vice: Anti-Virtue

Fatal Guillotine
10-28-2011, 08:22 PM
You're asking for single-word summations of single words?

Mumm Ra
10-29-2011, 08:52 AM
^ um...yeah that's really weird lol. to sum something up usually implies making it even briefer...and it doesn't get more brief than the words virtue or vice. i could list synonyms out of a thesaurus and give a whole list of one words that sum up virtue and vice but idk what good that'd do.

anyhoo

ive had a friend once tell me i dont have any vices...i wouldnt admit that to myself though. and another say im the only person he knew without a trace of ADD lol. any vices i may have i wouldnt list as major.

one can get rid of vices and turn them to virtues with knowledge of self.

diggy
10-29-2011, 08:24 PM
I found ma answer. What I meant to ask is "what is the foundation of both". I came to the conclusion based on study, that wisdom is the foundation of virtue and ignorance is the foundation of vice.

diggy
10-29-2011, 08:29 PM
ive had a friend once tell me i dont have any vices...i wouldnt admit that to myself though. and another say im the only person he knew without a trace of ADD lol. any vices i may have i wouldnt list as major.

what prompted ya friend to say that?

one can get rid of vices and turn them to virtues with knowledge of self.

could u expand on that?

Mumm Ra
10-30-2011, 12:28 AM
what prompted ya friend to say that?
could u expand on that?
I don't remember exactly, just a random comment while being around me I guess.
could u expand on that?

well if a vice is caused by ignorance then knowledge is naturally gonna be the cure. but a vice is also caused by emotional attachment

(imo) if you have knowledge of self you should have knowledge of your emotions and know you are the sole controller of them.

example: I was drinking at least a six pack of beer a week for 7 years and quit 7-8 months ago with no help and haven't had a single urge to drink since even tho i go to a bar ever week. I don't think that couldve worked without me understanding my emotions.

diggy
10-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Word is bond yo!