PDA

View Full Version : Atheists deemed untrustworthy: Study

diggy
12-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Atheists are almost universally perceived as untrustworthy, a new study has found.

"Where there are religious majorities - that is, in most of the world - atheists are among the least trusted people," said lead author Will Gervais, a doctoral student in psychology at the University of British Columbia. "With more than half a billion atheists worldwide, this prejudice has the potential to affect a substantial number of people."

The study, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, combines information collected from six different surveys.

One, a Gallup poll in the U.S., found only 45% of American respondents would vote for a qualified atheist president, and rated atheists as the group that clashes most with their vision of America. What's more, many Americans say they disapprove of their children marrying atheists.

In another survey of university students in Canada, researchers described hypothetical situations in which someone does something untrustworthy, such as pretending to leave insurance information after backing into a car, then asked participants to guess if the person was a Christian, a Muslim, a Jewish person, a gay man, a feminist, a rapist or an atheist. Only rapists were deemed as untrustworthy as atheists.

Respondents said they are also more likely to hire a religious person for any job that requires a high level of trust.

"Outward displays of belief in God may be viewed as a proxy for trustworthiness, particularly by religious believers who think that people behave better if they feel that God is watching them," said Ara Norenzayan, co-author of the study.

"While atheists may see their disbelief as a private matter on a metaphysical issue, believers may consider atheists' absence of belief as a public threat to co-operation and honesty."

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1322222889251_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/12/01/atheists-deemed-untrustworthy-study

netscape check two
12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
lol

what do you expect when most religious people are like this fat woman

aZ9MUycYD6Y

EAGLE EYE
12-01-2011, 10:46 PM
http://www.bishop-accountability.org/news2010/images10/2010_12_02_Boorstein_AfterChild_ph_Aaron.jpg

The Virtue of "trust" starts with the Catholic Church

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/

EAGLE EYE
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/10/02/a-greedy-religiosity-consuming-everything-in-its-path/

Uncle Steezo
12-01-2011, 11:18 PM
athiesim is not the opposite of religion. its the opposite of believing in God.
i have athiest friends and i tell them how stupid they are as often as i can.

i think the trust issue comes from having shared worldviews. athiests dont share the same worldview as theists so their actions are less predictable if predictability is even possible.

BrokenWrists
12-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Atheism is about objectivity. Every Atheist ive met is a selfish idiot, with no sense of self or those around them. To them god has done nothing for them, their is no god, so they just do what they want. They make me want to punch them in the face. They're not Atheist, they're Satanists and raging drug addicts. I can't even imagine living a life without a God. I've actually only met one self professed Atheist.

netscape check two
12-02-2011, 02:46 AM
^^
but you're a creepy weirdo with two left feet?

theheavens
12-02-2011, 02:59 AM
I'm muslim, but I understand an atheist's viewpoint. I got plenty of atheist friends and they simply don't want to play the game. can't blame them. they're just sitting on the sidelines doing their own thing. true, some of them are arrogant assholes, but most just don't care and that's whatever. anyway, I don't get why so many people get offended or pissed by atheists. did they steal your lunch money?

EAGLE EYE
12-02-2011, 03:27 AM
It's always fun when to watch Christians or Muslims attempt to illustrate atheists or agnostic atheists as evil, untrustworthy, morally corrupt , lost individuals for not embracing ideologies that have spread across the globe like chemical reactions usually by violence or forced indoctrination.

.but when a counter punch is thrown and they get quizzed about their own set of ethics too which they subscribe (whether it be: deontological, pragmatist, or consequentialist) more than often they stare off into the abyss of space when a very challenging hypothetical question is posed that might conflict with some bitch ass scriptures written by the feet of neanderthal men.

BrokenWrists
12-02-2011, 04:23 AM
^^
but you're a creepy weirdo with two left feet?

I am the greatest thing this forum has ever seen.

BrokenWrists
12-02-2011, 04:25 AM
It's always fun when to watch Christians or Muslims attempt to illustrate atheists or agnostic atheists as evil, untrustworthy, morally corrupt , lost individuals for not embracing ideologies that have spread across the globe like chemical reactions usually by violence or forced indoctrination.

.but when a counter punch is thrown and they get quizzed about their own set of ethics too which they subscribe (whether it be: deontological, pragmatist, or consequentialist) more than often they stare off into the abyss of space when a very challenging hypothetical question is posed that might conflict with some bitch ass scriptures written by the feet of neanderthal men.

Then the Atheist injects heroin and gets hooked on extasy. Has 3 kids in a dirty house thats never inspected by the CPS because they have no moral grounds.

EAGLE EYE
12-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Then bible school kid blows his Account-a-bill-a-buddy in the deacon's closet

* goes home ashamed
* kills himself with Water Intoxication

Frank Sobotka
12-02-2011, 04:31 AM
Go to any internet chat room and say you're a theist, see what happens.

BrokenWrists
12-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Then bible school kid blows his Account-a-bill-a-buddy in the deacon's closet

* goes home ashamed
* kills himself with Water Intoxication

Hahaha. Not to say it hasnt happened just not to me. My story is much different. It involves drugs, falling out with the church after being conformed, car crashes and intrigue. As the Bible says loosely, we all do the same things, so who are you to pass judgment. I also should be living a quiet life, so maybe i should stop talking unless necessary. This site isnt really necessary, i just like the Wu Clans music.

netscape check two
12-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Go to any internet chat room and say you're a theist, see what happens.

what? lol

http://cdn.androidblip.com/screens/2____107070.png

EAGLE EYE
12-02-2011, 04:50 AM
Hahaha. Not to say it hasnt happened just not to me. My story is much different. It involves drugs, falling out with the church after being conformed, car crashes and intrigue. As the Bible says loosely, we all do the same things, so who are you to pass judgment. I also should be living a quiet life, so maybe i should stop talking unless necessary. This site isnt really necessary, i just like the Wu Clans music.

lmao - instead of passing judgement, let me pass you a Shamwow for those tough days when you gotta walk by puddles

http://1stchoiceontv.com/img/shamwow-super-absorbent-towels-16-pack-as-seen-on-tv_2402_500.jpg

BrokenWrists
12-02-2011, 04:59 AM
lmao - instead of passing judgement, let me pass you a Shamwow for those tough days when you gotta walk by puddles

http://1stchoiceontv.com/img/shamwow-super-absorbent-towels-16-pack-as-seen-on-tv_2402_500.jpg

Harvey, some sort of cryptic message....i didnt even read the thread starters post, hence convulsion. Or just fun. Who cares im white. Interacting with strangers on forums is fun, i really have to move furniture early in the morning but this site is so pringles.

Mumm Ra
12-02-2011, 09:02 AM
i would never trust somebody who even took part or started that survey

last time i checked - humans were untrustworthy

TheBoarzHeadBoy
12-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Would I trust an atheist? Maybe. Would I trust a theist? Maybe.

For those who have dabbled in philosophy, atheism is equivalent to nihilism. Most atheists aren't aware of this, so I wouldn't totally label all to be nihilists, but their ideology is. I don't think that I would trust someone who embraces nihilism.

Being one concerned with intellectual honesty I'd say I'm agnostic, but although I was for a while satisfied as an atheist I've concluded Neoplatonic Deism is a practical belief because it was reasoned, not prophesied. Plato and Plotinus do not claim to be the mouth of God, just guys thinking about indigenous beliefs and the world of the day to day and trying to make sense of it all. So effectively I'm a monistic polytheist.

It does one no good to be an atheist or a zealot. If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything. However if you allow yourself to be bound to teachings with some sort of absurd faith that transcends reason and justifies any act and shifts all responsibility that's even worse.

EAGLE EYE
12-04-2011, 06:50 PM
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

That might sound good, but it's not true.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
12-04-2011, 06:59 PM

You have to at least stand for reason.

A reasonable person would not die for their beliefs because their beliefs are fundamentally subjective and have a low probability of being correct.

EAGLE EYE
12-04-2011, 07:13 PM
You have to at least stand for reason.

No I don't

http://www.theironypony.com/images/alf-naked-funny.jpg

yonder
12-05-2011, 03:27 AM
so sweden should be seen as a country with a bunch of less trustworthy people seeing as more than half of the population could be seen as being atheists? maybe not the best example but it does raise a valid point.

at least i think it does.

diggy
12-08-2011, 01:19 PM
i would never trust somebody who even took part or started that survey

last time i checked - humans were untrustworthy

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/5825085.bin

Will Gervais was disconcerted by the findings of a study that found religious people equate atheists with rapists. An atheist himself, Gervais was one of the researchers on the study.

Photograph by: Courtesy, Will Gervais

JASPER BEARDLY
12-08-2011, 01:43 PM
wtf

llBARlllCODEll
12-08-2011, 01:48 PM
funny that this thread came about cuz i recently got in touch with a friend who i havent seen in 4-5yrs. he fought in Iraq. came back and became an atheist. and he is probably the most trustworthy friend that i have that is still alive.

june181972
12-13-2011, 08:09 PM
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.
This doesn't necessarily mean "standing" for some ideology, or taking some philosophical "stance"
It is true, unless you see nothing wrong with someone spitting in your mother's face while you're standing next to her, and you respond by doing nothing.

diggy
01-26-2014, 12:22 AM
Faith means trust. A person without faith (infidel: in- "not" + fidēlis "faithful"), is a person without trust. Why would one trust (confide) in one who has none?

KERZO
01-26-2014, 07:35 AM
Yeah it's not like religion causes some of the worlds biggest wars or religious nutjobs haven't given their sheep kool aid or have them eat grass..forget all that cos as an atheist, I'm deemed untrustworthy, hahahaha get the fuck outta here with that bullshit son.

GhettoGnom
01-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Faith means trust. A person without faith (infidel: in- "not" + fidēlis "faithful"), is a person without trust. Why would one trust (confide) in one who has none?

^^ Just because you don't have faith in a religion or god doesn't mean you don't have faith in anything. Atheists can have faith in their friends, in science, in the human race and so on..

People who twists words to fit their own beliefs are less trustworthy than an atheist.. and that's putting it mildly.

Shogah
01-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Yeah it's not like religion causes some of the worlds biggest wars or religious nutjobs haven't given their sheep kool aid or have them eat grass..forget all that cos as an atheist, I'm deemed untrustworthy, hahahaha get the fuck outta here with that bullshit son.

Well its not, it is transnational capital. Catholic church and fundamental muslims, are the ones who serve its goals. What they have in common is that neither have anything to do with the religion they claim to represent and are strayed from God long time ago.
Where they differ is their place in the hierarchy. Vatican is the brains, western banksters are financing and islamistic groups are employees doing their dirty work.
Its greed and lust of western banksters that is creating all the mess in the world
, and christianity is currently main counterweight to the new world order and its capitalistic ideology. It is no coincidence that makers of Zeitgeist used 1/3 of their film to bash christianity.

diggy
01-26-2014, 04:17 PM
^^ Just because you don't have faith in a religion or god doesn't mean you don't have faith in anything.

I did not say a faithless person does not have faith in anything. An infidel is an infidel in what they have no faith in and that could be anything.

ShaDynasty
01-26-2014, 07:51 PM

^^ Just because you don't have faith in a religion or god doesn't mean you don't have faith in anything. Atheists can have faith in their friends, in science, in the human race and so on..

People who twists words to fit their own beliefs are less trustworthy than an atheist.. and that's putting it mildly.

I did not say a faithless person does not have faith in anything. An infidel is an infidel in what they have no faith in and that could be anything.

so master of vagueness, what the fucks your point?

Guarded By Martyrs
01-26-2014, 09:24 PM
athiesim is not the opposite of religion. its the opposite of believing in God.

Indeed.

Technically the belief in God could mean to simply not believe this all happened by chance.
The word "Religion" means "To Bind / Tie Back" so labelling one's self as a [insert faith here]
Will automatically associate them as someone who believes in God.

Think of the people who are of no religion nor are they an atheist .

To rule out "God" in their belief is absurd.

As for being trustworthy....that's something that depends on the individual
As well as the person in which they are deciding to put their trust in.

In my opinion it has nothing to do with that person's beliefs
You could look at it like this :
A certain non believer in God who only believes in Honour & Trust
These are the only 2 things that matter to him.

It's not what he doesn't have that you should be focusing on in this scenario
But what he holds dear is what you are looking for so....

Sky Blue Bally Kid
01-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Why's this Sid Rowed???

diggy
01-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Why's this Sid Rowed???

Somebody caught feelings perhaps?

hashashin
02-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Everyone needs a little faith sometimes...

58e12cN7wAE