PDA

View Full Version : Underrated!! - Handsome Boy Modeling School

claaa7
12-09-2011, 05:02 AM
http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/005/125/0000512536_350.jpg

This album hardly gets the recognition it deserves but it's fucking genius!! You rarely get collaborations between producers but Prince Paul and Dan The Automator are far from your average beatmakers. The beats on this disc is super heavy all the way through, you won't need the skip button for this album. there's some tracks that stand out more though - "The Truth" with its jazzy coctail piano and pounding beat; the hardboiled minimalism of "Waterworld"; the blues-y ode to "The P-Jay's (Projects)" or "Holy Calamity" and the perfect opening track with its superior showcase in the art of turntablism and sampling.
XrkAy_QvsAU
You won't really hear what Paul has done and what Automator has done so its evident that their styles really mashes well together. they seem to like the same weird samples, almost trip hop heavy drums and has the same humor as you can hear on the skits sampling "Get A Life" or whatever that show was called.
DL7tz03v8wc
The guests on "So How's Your Girl" are not less fantastic either. i heard that all the tracks were tailor made for the artists that's on them which is cool. This album has alot more hip-hop flavor than their second album which showed much rock inspiration. Here we get dope emcees like J-Live, Del, Grand Puba, Sadat X, El-P, Dave of De La Soul, Mike D and Encore who i never heard elsewhere but he absolutely destroys "Waterworld". DJ Shadow helps out to produce and cut on "Holy Calamity (Bear Witness II)" and DJ Kid Koala and DJ Quest makes ill performances.
AYaqZ9r3K14
For anyone sleeping on this, WAKE THE FUCK UP, the shit is brilliant!! Their second album wasn't nearly as good although it's still definitely worth to check out too.

claaa7
12-09-2011, 05:03 AM
TpvuvFkggaw
^ LOL @ this video

Another funny thing I saw in a Prince Paul interview that he found hilarious was that El-P absolutely hated the song he was on "Megaton B-Boy 2000". He recorded it to a normal beat and he thought it was dope but when the album came out and he listened to the version on the LP (which Alec Empire had "destroyed") he hated it haha

JASPER BEARDLY
12-09-2011, 08:52 AM
haha never heard that story

food for thought
12-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I play this album regularly.

straight fire.

food for thought
12-09-2011, 09:34 AM
no verses needed. This is my joint.

fVbVHonsqYA

beautifulrock
12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Claaa7 sheds light on a forgotten classic once again.

claaa7
12-09-2011, 11:45 AM
peace BR

glad to see that there's a few heads appreciating this incredible LP.. how did y'all feel about "White People"?

Luz
12-09-2011, 11:48 AM
This is my jam

DTRcskwiRRA

THE MASON
12-09-2011, 12:02 PM
this is truly a gem

i had White People before i had this and thought it was pretty dope but when i picked this one up, i was much more impressed by the collaboration.

Prince Paul and Dan the Automater definitely are an ill combo of producers with a good ear for abstract ideas, def shows in the skits and samples

djskillz
12-09-2011, 11:32 PM
one of my favorites. been awhile since i gave it a spin.

GhettoGnom
12-12-2011, 11:03 AM
White People definitely ain't touching this, even though it's a good album in its own rights..

Couldn't agree more with claa on this, classic album. One of those I never forget over long periods of time, but keeps on getting spins whenever I'm feeling like listening to classic material.

J-Cee
12-12-2011, 11:22 AM
love it..