PDA

View Full Version : Roots Undun

JASPER BEARDLY
12-14-2011, 03:15 PM
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2011/12/4608911/dont-let-green-grass-fool-you-roots-are-one-most-respected-hip-hop-acts

Anyone heard this album yet? I heard most of it when it was streaming online and thought it was really dope. Need to cop it.

Questlove linked to that article on twitter, just started reading it, and it's by someone who has a relationship with the group so it should be dope.

THE MASON
12-14-2011, 03:19 PM
one of the best albums of the year, if not the best. imo

shit is real dope, Roots never fail to impress. of course, Black Thought leads the way but the other emcee spots dont let you down either. and of course musically, the beats are fantastic, some newer sounding ish mixed with some classic breaks

honestly, it hasnt left my player in the car since i bought it. my only beef is the mastering on it sucks imo. its not too bad but for a trained ear or people who are audiophiles, it wont sound all that great. people need to go back to the analog mixers agai

Prime8
12-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah, it's dope. Been bumping it for a couple weeks (Had the leaked version). Sleep, Make My and Stomp are all great. Some of the hooks came across too 'clean', in comparison to the beats and lyrics. 8.5/10. Not their best, but I prefer it to How I Got Over.

claaa7
12-14-2011, 04:36 PM
^ i agree with some of the hooks too but still i think the album is fantastic... to me "undun" and "How I Got Over" are companion pieces - they basically deal with the same concepts, it's like the same story but what would happen if you choose to go either down (undun) or up (how i...) from the starting point.

thx, i will check out that article Saverio.

right now i'm listening to Common's new album, No ID killed the production and Com is Com!

OPTIMUS
12-14-2011, 05:05 PM
while i love all roots albums the peak to me was illadelph halflife/things fall apart since then theyve experimented more, more guitar driven and a bit more hit or miss for me, they are legends of the game tho and very consistent.

ShaDynasty
12-14-2011, 05:37 PM
while i love all roots albums the peak to me was illadelph halflife/things fall apart since then theyve experimented more, more guitar driven and a bit more hit or miss for me, they are legends of the game tho and very consistent.

i think the opposite. if anything some of their earlier stuff was boring. since phrenology they've basically been killing it, almost getting better each album.

i'm waiting til christmas for this album lol sounds like its gonna be epic.

Prime8
12-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Game Theory is my personal favourite.
Illadelph & Things Fall Apart aren't far behind.

OPTIMUS
12-15-2011, 07:16 AM
i think the opposite. if anything some of their earlier stuff was boring. since phrenology they've basically been killing it, almost getting better each album.

i'm waiting til christmas for this album lol sounds like its gonna be epic.

dude its out......why wait?

do you want more?!?!? didnt do it for me at all too so i can understand you there.

THE MASON
12-15-2011, 09:58 AM
i disagree about the hooks

they are simple and effective and add to what the concept is. the darker ones are almost schizo and distressing playing off the "down" vibe of the album.

i honestly dont think the Roots have ever madea bad album, it just depends on your moods and taste at the time. undun is a very winter oriented

its impossible to rate Roots albums cause they are all so different

RynMur
12-16-2011, 10:51 PM
This may be my favorite album of the year. The sad thing is, it's going over so many heads.

Wh0am3ye?
12-17-2011, 01:00 PM
This album right here is beautiful. I prefer how I got over but this ones still fire.

Dr. Simon Hurt
12-17-2011, 02:00 PM
honestly, it hasnt left my player in the car since i bought it. my only beef is the mastering on it sucks imo. its not too bad but for a trained ear or people who are audiophiles, it wont sound all that great. people need to go back to the analog mixers agai

emphatically this

why is tipping point looked at so harshly?

good article though, roots have the best group disocgraphy in hiphop imo

some of the anecdotes in the article are pretty thought provoking

THE MASON
12-19-2011, 10:08 AM
this album actually just keeps getting better

ive had to set it aside as i the new Common album is getting spins now (and i have a upcoming Ghostface showto attend, gotta brush up lol)

but the reason why its getting better cause for he first time in a long time i got the urge to go back and keep it playing

sickdog
12-20-2011, 05:36 AM
undun - one of the best albums this year, few days received CD, cant stop listen to it.

sixzero
01-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Just got this album. I have no idea how I missed it but I love it start to finish.

ShaDynasty
01-06-2012, 08:41 AM
dope. very soulful, and it suits them to have more uptempo stuff on there.

the 'story' is loose but thats what they were going for, the emotions of going through good and bad times, not the details.

THE MASON
01-06-2012, 10:52 AM
i dont know long youve had it but i found the concept to be very in depth

the music may give you a feeling of a "loose" concept but its the lyrics that tell an intricate story the more you pick up on them. ?uestlove did a great job of making the album rise and fall in feeling