PDA

View Full Version : Three "new" Common joints (OG versions of "Ghetto Dreams", "The Believer" + 1 more)

claaa7
12-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Common and No ID just dropped off two alternative versions of songs from "The Dreamer/The Believer" today. the first is a CDQ version of "Ghetto Dreams" but instead of Nas on it, it features three Common verses. the second is much grittier and harder version of "The Believer" but without John Legend, i've seen a few blogs compare this one to old RZA beats but i wouldn't go that far but it's definitely dope.

the third song is a Common feature on a record by Derrick Hodge, the jazz/funk bassist who previously collaborated with Com on "Be" and "Finding Forever", two tracks on Q-Tip's "The Renaissance" and others.

i'm too lazy to post all the links but you'll find them all here:;

http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2011/12/two-new-common-joints.html

Wh0am3ye?
12-21-2011, 11:45 PM
props...that believer track is fire, much better than the other version.

Sky Blue Bally Kid
12-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks 4 these

djskillz
12-22-2011, 10:06 AM
the album is crack. thanks for these. gonna add them to my version.

claaa7
12-22-2011, 10:16 AM
i love the album, the only joint i don't like too much is "Celebrate", that sounds like a Kanye track. otherwise it's straight fire... i didn't like track #10 either but it really grow on me and i love the original "The Believer". it's pretty much a solid front-to-back listen, i really like Nas verse on "Ghetto Dreams" so i think that's the btter version but i need to listen to the grimey version of "Believer" more before i make up my mind since they are very different... but i think the raw version is more along the lines of what fans expected from a new Nas/No ID reunion in 2011.

Reiko
12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
thanks man, I'm listening to the album right now, it's fire thus far, gotta download these also, 1

BIRDCAGE
12-22-2011, 11:12 AM
The Believer remix sounds like a Wu joint! hard as hell.

Jin10304
12-22-2011, 04:50 PM
No I.D.'s best RZA-impersonation I say! THAT SHIT IS RAW, I already replaced it on my TDTB

ShaDynasty
12-22-2011, 07:17 PM
don't know about this album. where would you rank it alongside commons other albums?

heres my feeling on the old ones:

resurrection = classic
one day it'll all make sense = solid
like water for chocolate = classic
electric circus = appreciate the effort, but it didn't work. epic fail infact.
be = classic? i really like it anyway, its almost a classic
finding forever = its good but he just comes off as preachy the whole time. hes always had that preachiness to a degree, but a little snobbyness came in.

didn't hear his last one, that was posed to be terrible. so where do you put it compared to them?

fortyglock
12-23-2011, 07:14 AM
That alternate version of The Believer sounds like a 90s RZA beat, could've easily fit on Liquid Swords or Tical.

THE MASON
12-23-2011, 12:53 PM
don't know about this album. where would you rank it alongside commons other albums?

heres my feeling on the old ones:

resurrection = classic
one day it'll all make sense = solid
like water for chocolate = classic
electric circus = appreciate the effort, but it didn't work. epic fail infact.
be = classic? i really like it anyway, its almost a classic
finding forever = its good but he just comes off as preachy the whole time. hes always had that preachiness to a degree, but a little snobbyness came in.

didn't hear his last one, that was posed to be terrible. so where do you put it compared to them?

what about Can I Borrow A Dollar?

the album is dope, gonna give it a few more spins but its definitely refreshing to hear Common with NO ID again, certainly a solid producer/emcee duo.

few tracks im on the fence about but imma prolly run it down a few more times

the real test is to see if i go back and listen to it

Jin10304
12-23-2011, 01:01 PM
So far......

Favorite Tracks:
1-6

Least Favorite:
Celebrate (sounds good, just reminds me too much of BE Common/Kanye sounding beat 03-04)
Pops Belief (I always usually skip his fathered featured songs)
Raw (How You Like It)

Im on the fence with Cloth, beat is spooky but hypnotiq. I also had to switch The Believer to the Alt Mix

THE MASON
12-23-2011, 01:44 PM
the Alt Mix is dope but i really only play music off CD or vinyl so i cant swap it out. and i think the OG is fine, beat isnt as dope but John Legend adds some flavour to it

Jin10304
12-23-2011, 04:04 PM
then just replace the john legend version with the alt. mix and reburn it that way youll still b able to play TDTB as a complete CD. problem solved

ShaDynasty
12-23-2011, 04:28 PM
I always usually skip his fathered featured songs)

yeah i never understood why he does that.

i never heard 'can i borrow a dollar' bronz, i heard tracks from it that are like 2 different rappers almost, like he was still figuring out who he was as an artist.

i didn't like the 'blue sky' joint just thought it was lame to sample that track, but 'ghetto dreams' is nice. probably cop it next week anyway, i got money to spare this month.

Jin10304
12-23-2011, 05:42 PM
"i heard tracks from it that are like 2 different rappers almost, like he was still figuring out who he was as an artist"

you may have heard the song from Dollar that featured No I.D., the one his fans even tell him that he ate him on that track, forgot what its called.