PDA

View Full Version : did the College Dropout "murder" gangsta rap?

theheavens
01-22-2012, 09:56 PM
I came across paste magazine's (they're not all that big on hip-hop) list of the best albums of the decade, and they ranked Kanye's record at #17, saying "Every so often, an album rewrites the musical rulebook, and this one effectively murdered gangsta rap." the dude doesn't even bother to go into detail, just says it like it's a fact or something.

I think the guy thinks that a lack of gangsta rap albums means that the sub-genre is totally dead. yet rick ross' Deeper Than Rap and (more importantly) Rae's CL2 prove that the genre is still selling and popular. I don't think college dropout killed anything, let alone gangsta rap music

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/11/the-best-albums-of-the-decade.html?p=4

main_man
01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
anybody who feels this way is just a straight up pussy or faggit.

college dropout didnt "murder" a goddamn thing.

some people should not be allowed to comment on hip hop.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2vg9BXFnhvhbxRQr5u9yFGSil075Ny XGr_D8JQJynkUAl4jhkTg

Edgar Erebus
01-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Rozay and Raekwon aren't really "gangsta", they are more like mafiosi. And it's kinda true, from College Dropout to Flockaveli there were really no gangsta albums that made an impact, except for 50's Massacre.

Mr. R&B
01-23-2012, 09:59 AM
^That is more indicative of paradigm shifts within the industry, not an album or artist "murdering" a sub-genre, that's a baseless assertion on the author's part.

Just because something falls out of favor with mainstream pop culture doesn't mean it's dead, there are plenty of core supporters of every sub-sect of rap music.

That paste writer is a hipster faggot.

check two
01-23-2012, 12:10 PM
I could never listen to a whole album of Kayne, his voice is just way too irritating

THUGNIFICENT
01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
I could never listen to a whole album of Kayne, his voice is just way too irritating

Thanks for that highly relevant comment!

^That is more indicative of paradigm shifts within the industry, not an album or artist "murdering" a sub-genre, that's a baseless assertion on the author's part.

Just because something falls out of favor with mainstream pop culture doesn't mean it's dead, there are plenty of core supporters of every sub-sect of rap music.

That paste writer is a hipster faggot.

Cosign.

What are 50 and Game if not gangsta rap? What is Rick Ross (in his music, I mean -- let's not get into his credentials) or T.I.?

Music is cyclical. Jay-Z goes from being the best to being commercial garbage and back again; Kanye goes from genius to arrogant idiot and returns to savant; Weezy went from the best alive to trash, and he'll be back on Carter III levels of adoration if he wants it. Right now, gangsta shit isn't selling, but it will be again.

But let's just act like gangsta rap is dead for a moment. Did Kanye kill it? No -- the internet did. The only people buying albums nowadays are preteen girls and your forty-something parents. Those folk don't want bars about busting caps. If music piracy ever lessens (I have no idea how/if this would come to pass), thug shit will be on the top of the charts once again.

check two
01-23-2012, 01:27 PM
^^
Nobody asked you scrub

Crown Fried Patron
01-23-2012, 01:34 PM
CD didn't murder anything, it only made it easier for non-gangsta rappers to make money in commercial rap music.

OntheHorizon
01-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Take a look at what has gone on in mainstream hip hop since that dude showed up tho, aint really no need to explain anything, its a valid point. I wouldnt say he "Killed" it but he definatly knocked it out its prominent position and made Nerd Core weirdo rap the new king