PDA

View Full Version : Madlib demo over dilla stuff

JASPER BEARDLY
01-29-2012, 01:45 AM
Does anyone have the shit which led to Jaylib???

Pattch82
01-29-2012, 10:36 AM
I can up the Jaylib Demo tape for you tonight or in the morning fam.

I'll up it asap.

laolu
01-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Wait, this is available?

JASPER BEARDLY
01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
props

is that what i'm asking for patch? i know that shit came out once, dilla called madlib on it and then was like let's do it officially and that led to jaylib

Pattch82
01-29-2012, 05:08 PM
props

is that what i'm asking for patch? i know that shit came out once, dilla called madlib on it and then was like let's do it officially and that led to jaylib

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Jayllib Demo is what you're after. I'm gunna up it for you in the morning. Basically, Madlib had a Dilla beat tape and recorded vocals over the beats whilst on a trip to Brazil. Peanut Butter Wolf put one of the tracks out on the B-Side to a Stones Throw single, Dilla got wind of it and wanted to collab proper.

The demo only features Dilla's beats with Madlibs vocals. The vocals on the demo are exactly the same as the ones on the retail release. I'm pretty sure Madlib didn't re-do them. The demo tape has been named 'Jaylib - The Rough Drafts', its on the net, but I'll up a link for you asap. It's pretty dope to listen to, but ultimately Champion Sound is waaaaaaaaay doper!!

Peace!

Lex Lugor
01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
There is another early jaylib tape besides the jaylib demo aka rough drafts...
where none of the vocals are used anywhere else and a bunch of jay dee's beattape beats are used

JASPER BEARDLY
01-29-2012, 07:06 PM
anyway you could up that as well lex?

most don't like madlib as an mc but i enjoy his tripped out verses

claaa7
01-30-2012, 07:20 AM
There is another early jaylib tape besides the jaylib demo aka rough drafts...
where none of the vocals are used anywhere else and a bunch of jay dee's beattape beats are used

isn't that the same though?
the one i have is 16 songs, and maybe only 6 of them are demo versions of songs from "Champion Sound". Madlib is on all tracks and it uses beats like "Friends" (which only appeared as an interlude), "Step Up" that Busta Rhymes used for "Dillagence" and alot of other beat tape joints. if this is not the same Pattch will upload, i'll do it.

this is something i wanted to put on my blog too but Stones Throw Records make it impossible for fans to hear stuff like that.

Pattch82
01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Peace fam,

Been mega busy today, still not home yet. But I'll get this upped for you as soon as I get on my home computer.

Peace!

Lex Lugor
01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Im quite sure mine is not the same. Its something like 22 tracks, like eight of those are 30 second beat snippets, and the rest early madlib cuts over BOTH dilla and madlib production. Alot of the beats are used off that official dilla double beattape that had the beats "guitar" "circus". I gorget what theyre called but madlib is rappin over em.

Lex Lugor
01-30-2012, 02:17 PM
I guess so.. Its interesting to hear you guys might not have this. News to me. Its on an external somewhere but ill fish it out tonight for sure.

Lex Lugor
01-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Its called Jaylib-Outtakes. Heres a track off it (zshare, sry easy stream upload :\ )
http://www.zshare.net/audio/98957999ea9a3b86/

Pattch82
01-31-2012, 04:02 AM
Its called Jaylib-Outtakes. Heres a track off it (zshare, sry easy stream upload :\ )
http://www.zshare.net/audio/98957999ea9a3b86/

Peace fam,

A little later than expected, but here's the Jaylib Demo's - The Rough Drafts.

A little info on them...

Jaylib began in 2000 when DJ J Rocc (of the Beat Junkies) passed a beat tape (an instrumental CD with unused beats) to Madlib. These beats happened to be by none other than J Dilla. An enthusiastic Madlib then recorded over these beats and labeled them "Jaylib", without the intention of actually releasing them. After Stones Throw placed one of these recordings on a mixtape (under the name Jaylib), and J Dilla caught ear of this, the full collaboration began to blossom. The pair recorded their debut album, Champion Sound, in separate cities (Madlib in L.A., and Dilla in Detroit) while sending beats back and forth. The greatly anticipated album was eventually released in 2003 after much delay (due to leaks and bootlegs) and received positive reviews.
Champion Sound is composed of beats sent back and forth via e-mail between the two. Most of Madlib's contribution to the album were improved mixes of the bootleg compositions he had recorded late the previous year, with a few new ones solicited from Dilla. A distinctive characteristic of the album is the additional J Dilla instrumental snippets heard at the end of many of the songs.

A little more info, and the tracklist...

Along the way, Madlib was also working with DOOM on the Madvillian album and was to attend an event in Brazil for the Red Bull Music Academy. For the trip, he compiled discs containing some of the work in progress tracks for both the Madvillian and Jaylib albums. Somehow though, these discs were leaked online much to the disdain of Madlib and the Stones Throw camp. A lot of people assumed these were the finished products but Madlib went so far as to post a page at Stones Throw's site explaining the events surrounding the leaks and their differences from the finished albums. Nonetheless, many fans downloaded both leaks and were pleased to find significant differences between the finished products and these early versions. Some of the best material laid with the Jaylib leak which featured rhymes only from Madlib and beats only from Dilla. Some of the songs did see release on the proper Jaylib album, but most of them either saw release as bonus or compilation tracks, if at all. Madlib also stated that all the tracks were remixed prior to their releases.

When the Jaylib disc leaked, it was originally labeled "Jay Dee and Madlib are Jaylib", but the proper title was "The Rough Drafts (11-02)". It's basically a full album in it's own right with interludes that didn't appear anywhere else, hidden tracks and lots of stuff that still hasn't seen release. In particular, two of my favorite tracks from this period, "Rockforeverybody Pt. 1" and "Turn It Up" are featured here, and neither are likely to see release due to sample clearance issues. If you are a Madlib or Dilla fan, this is a must grab!

Jaylib - The Rough Drafts (11-02)

01 Direct From...
02 Raw Addict (this was a bonus track on some versions of Champion Sound)
03 The Red (this was released on Champion Sound)
04 Nowadayz (this was released on Champion Sound)
05 Bounce Pt. 1
06 Pillz (this was a bonus track on some versions of Champion Sound)
07 Heist (this was released on Champion Sound)
08 Popshit (this was released on the limited Stones Throw 100 EP)
09 The Stars (this was released on Champion Sound)
10 Rockforeverybody Pt. 1
11 Turn It Up (feat. YNQ)
12 Strip Club (feat. Quasimoto) (this was released on Champion Sound)
13 Eyecantakeyouthere/Follow
14 Infinity-Dilla Mix (Includes: a skit from America's Most Blunted; Infinity (aka On & On); skit feat. Baby D; Tomorrow Never Knows, from 2000; skit; Lord Quas-Just Go Away, Dilla version) (a small portion of this was released on the "B-Ball Zombie War" compilation)

I also found a little paragraph about those Jaylib Outtakes that Lex has...

Jan. 2005 - The "Jaylib Outtakes".
These are neither Jaylib nor outtakes. They were not made for "Champion Sound" or any other album, and they are not a J Dilla-Madlib collab. Most of the mixes were done by Madlib in early 2000 for a personal mixtape. The beats are from a Jay Dee mixtape circa 1999.

Anyway, here's the link for The Rough Drafts demo...

http://hulkshare.com/ow76op2d0f0j

Enjoy!!

Peace!