PDA

View Full Version : NBA dress code

THE W
10-30-2005, 09:32 AM
i think this dress codes is a tragedy. i dont see how wearing headphones or hiphop clothes is inappropriate. children seeing someone sit down and watch a game in hiphop clothing is not going to currupt their morals and values. im really sick of hearing people who defend this rule say dumb shit about how its gonna benefit our youth. FUCK OFF!!

this is a product of the falicy of society that believes that everyone but our parents is supposed to be our role model for our children. parents dont think they should be responsible for their childrens upbringing as far as their morals and values.

the reason for this change is because the league has gotten too "hiphop" and its dissasociating the white suburban upperclass season ticket holders and the "good old boy" rightwing advertising sponsors. i can understand that. just say it and dont insult my intelligence with all this other crap.

hellbound
10-30-2005, 10:22 AM
yeah i agree, that shit is ridiculous

MaShPG
10-30-2005, 11:04 AM
fa sho, the NBA has always been trying to dissasosciate themselves with Hip Hop. Haha, this kinda reminds me of when Larry Bird said "the nba would benefit from having a white star" everybody yelled at him cause he gave away their plan.

THE W
10-30-2005, 11:53 AM
^^lol exactly,

this league has been carried by african-american stars for decades and now they wanna try cramp a brotha's style. this is some borderline racist bullshit.

baby jesus
10-30-2005, 11:59 AM
I Agree I Was Always The Kid In Sports Who Never Got Along With The Coach Or Dress Code Like Shorts Above The Knee But I Always Sagged Them Below The Knee Anyway So I'm Use To Gay Shit Like That I Hated It. With That Said I Dont Think It Hurts To Look Professional Though Jordan Had No Problem Doing It The Same As Ewing So I Agree It Shouldnt Be A Code Placed In But Guys Should Dress That Way Anyway Dont Force It Though.

RynMur
10-30-2005, 12:02 PM
It's not a big deal, it's just a rule. I don't know why most of the players are acting immature about it, they're getting paid million dollars to have fun, c'mon, is looking professional that hard to do? Some players need to realize that most jobs require a casual business code.

THE W
10-30-2005, 12:09 PM
^^for sitting on the sidline?

of course it doesnt hurt to wear a suit, it also doesnt hurt to where hiphop clothing. there is already a dress code where when you are in the game you wear your team uniform.

is seeing a player not in the game sitting on the sideline wearing urban clothing hard to look at? this is the league bustin balls.

Orion Nebulus
10-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Well I have to say Im not very suprised about this...I saw this coming a long time ago. Commisioner Stern is on some sort of power trip. Basically he's treating these nba players like there in high school or something...its ridiculous!!! Every individual has the absolute right to express who they are..whether its wearing "hiphop" clothing, green hair, ripped up jeans..whatever. If you want to wear a suit then thats fine...but you shouldnt be forced to do so. People are more interested in watching the game..not the fuckin sideline.

Escobar_Incorporated
10-30-2005, 12:28 PM
i cant see why these millionaires wont wear a nice suit every once and a while..gee whiz, the NBA is a business and you must dress accordingly. if i had the money these guys had, I would have the illest wardrobe..nothing but armani suits and prada wingtips..

THE W
10-30-2005, 12:41 PM
i cant see why these millionaires wont wear a nice suit every once and a while..gee whiz, the NBA is a business and you must dress accordingly. if i had the money these guys had, I would have the illest wardrobe..nothing but armani suits and prada wingtips..because some people hate wearing suits(i do myself) and i dont see why it is a harmful for a player to wear urban clothing and sit on the GOTDAMN sideline and watch a game or for someone to where jewelry and headphones while getting off the fuckin bus and walking to the locker room to change into their player uniform.

you're taking away someone's freedom to dress as he pleases for NOTHING.

Escobar_Incorporated
10-30-2005, 12:43 PM
so if your employer decided to implement a business dress code you wouldnt obey it even if millions were on the line?

THE W
10-30-2005, 12:50 PM
so if your employer decided to implement a business dress code you wouldnt obey it even if millions were on the line?
dont get me wrong, these players while grudgingly will have to "follow suit" or just not play in the NBA. of course, its the rule and thats that.

but its not like these guys are working in politics or corporate office. they're going to play basketball and once they step out on the court they arent wearing a suit. and players sitting on the sideline with jewelry and a sean jean sweaters isnt the reason why the league is going to shit or why ron artest jumped into the stands.

the rule is meaninglessly restricting a player's right to wear what they want, whether its a suit or not.

Escobar_Incorporated
10-30-2005, 12:54 PM
yea ur right. overall, this whole plan is to "clean up" the image of these players..stern probably came up with the idea after the pistons-pacers brawl last year..knowing that Artest is into hip hop and all

THE W
10-30-2005, 12:57 PM
its like i said, the league is getting too "hiphop" and the suburban white folks who are buying the season tickets and the advertisers who sponsor the league cant relate to that culture so they have to do something to "de-hiphop" the league.

so your're right esco, it is business. i dont agree with it at all and i think this is wrong way to go about things, but at the very least i can understand it.

Orion Nebulus
10-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Damn headphones too??? Thats even more ridiculous than the dresscode. "Ok Im getting of the bus..I better put my headphones in my bag before I get in trouble". I dont see why people dont see this as some racist bullshit.

BigKing.nl
10-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Damn headphones too??? Thats even more ridiculous than the dresscode. "Ok Im getting of the bus..I better put my headphones in my bag before I get in trouble". I dont see why people dont see this as some racist bullshit. Haha what the fuck have headphones to do with racism?

baby jesus
10-30-2005, 01:26 PM
By The Way I Agree It Is Trying To Take The Hip-Hop Looks Out But Dont Forget They Did Also Say That You Cant Wear Flip Flops Or Dress Like A Slob Like Some Of The White Players Are Doing But I Agree That They Did That To Go Hand And Hand With The Real Reason The Players Dressing Like "Thugs''.

Ink Is My Drink
10-30-2005, 01:30 PM
ha i think its funny

Orion Nebulus
10-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Haha what the fuck have headphones to do with racism?

Its not just about the headphones...its everything. Do your homework kid. lol

RynMur
10-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Not being able to wear headphones when getting off the bus is a lil to far, but I believe they should wear something business casually on the bench and during post game interviews. This will be a different story if it happened to the NFL because their are more players and the players are moving around the sidelines more. Compared to the NBA where they just sit and watch the game.

makalani
10-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Its all bullshit. Any fan or member of the hiphop culture should be insulted. It's basically david stern saying hiphop is a bad image. Every person I've seen on espn interviewed about it says its no big deal. Bullshit, it is a big deal. Ivo probably never wore a suit in his life. Put yourself in the position of a NBA player, that would infuriate the hell out of me. Like the people actually give a damn what they are wearing anyway.

baby jesus
10-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Hahaha Word Ducan Said He Doesnt Even Own A Suit I Find That Kinda Funny.

whitey
11-01-2005, 10:34 AM
who pays the bills? not hip hopers.

that who giveth, can taketh away.

Frank Drebin
11-01-2005, 02:23 PM
yeah word these motherfuckers getting paid more money than any of us ever gonna c and they bitching cause of a dresscode? fuck that half of these bitches aint even fucking gangstas or nothing. fuck that if i was getting paid 10milli a year i would wear a suit everyday if they wanted me to. shit

makalani
11-01-2005, 05:30 PM
yeah word these motherfuckers getting paid more money than any of us ever gonna c and they bitching cause of a dresscode? fuck that half of these bitches aint even fucking gangstas or nothing. fuck that if i was getting paid 10milli a year i would wear a suit everyday if they wanted me to. shit
yea its easy to say that cause you aint in the NBA

whitey
11-01-2005, 06:25 PM
yea its easy to say that cause you aint in the NBA

yea we dont know how hard it is to earn millions of dollars to play a game and still not be able to feed our kids...

THE W
11-01-2005, 06:44 PM
who pays the bills? not hip hopers.

that who giveth, can taketh away.
fine,

then just come out and say that the white suburban season ticket holders dont like the hiphop image that the league portraying.

and the complaints about wearing a suit have nothing to do with players not being able to afford it. its about principle.

Orion Nebulus
11-01-2005, 06:56 PM
^^^^ I totally agree. Its not about complaining, money or anything of that nature....its the principle. Its about being yourself, not a robot following orders from a madman.

Frank Drebin
11-01-2005, 08:26 PM
fine,

then just come out and say that the white suburban season ticket holders dont like the hiphop image that the league portraying.

and the complaints about wearing a suit have nothing to do with players not being able to afford it. its about principle.
these white suburban season ticket holders are the ones buying the tickets wade it aint a racial thing is a business thing. If the players dont like it i would love to see them go flip burgers or do an average job.

whitey
11-01-2005, 11:40 PM
for real. like offices have dress codes. shit mcdonalds has a dress code. and if the boss wants you to wear something you wear it, or you leave the job. its not hard. it may suck, but its the price you pay for things sometimes.

THE W
11-02-2005, 10:49 AM
for real. like offices have dress codes. shit mcdonalds has a dress code. and if the boss wants you to wear something you wear it, or you leave the job. its not hard. it may suck, but its the price you pay for things sometimes.
the NBa had a dresscode too. you wear your team uniform. when you get out on the court your cant have on urban wear OR a suit. you gotta put on a uniform.

offices are part of corperate america which have convinced society that wearing suits is what is "presentable". mcdonalds employees do not wear suits on the job and Mcdonalds isnt telling their employees that they cannot have headphones or urban wear on when coming to work or going to pick up their check.

yes, yes, yes...its the rule and the players are simply gonna have to suck it up. but its wrong, and not the way that the issue of sagging ratings and attendence should have been addressed. if the ron artest incident didnt happen this dresscode would never have happened. the league is going to shit cuz of knucklehead players getting into fights and bitching about contracts with players saying dumbshit like "i need more than 10 millions dollars a year cuz i have to feed my family" and players not showing up to training camps cuz they dont wanna be on this or that team. NOT because they have on chains and the latest in sean jean and roca wear.

with this said, i can understand the decision knowing that sterns hands were tied knowing that if these ticket holders demands to desolve the "hiphop" image that the NBA has in some way, he would've lost customers.

im just saying lets call it what it is and stop making up bullshit like "its going to benefit our children" or "its gonna teach people to dress for success" or "this is how people in other careers have to dress and we should do it as well".

num2son
11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Wearing suits is not that bad.

whitey
11-02-2005, 02:10 PM
the NBa had a dresscode too. you wear your team uniform. when you get out on the court your cant have on urban wear OR a suit. you gotta put on a uniform.

offices are part of corperate america which have convinced society that wearing suits is what is "presentable". mcdonalds employees do not wear suits on the job and Mcdonalds isnt telling their employees that they cannot have headphones or urban wear on when coming to work or going to pick up their check.

yes, yes, yes...its the rule and the players are simply gonna have to suck it up. but its wrong, and not the way that the issue of sagging ratings and attendence should have been addressed. if the ron artest incident didnt happen this dresscode would never have happened. the league is going to shit cuz of knucklehead players getting into fights and bitching about contracts with players saying dumbshit like "i need more than 10 millions dollars a year cuz i have to feed my family" and players not showing up to training camps cuz they dont wanna be on this or that team. NOT because they have on chains and the latest in sean jean and roca wear.

with this said, i can understand the decision knowing that sterns hands were tied knowing that if these ticket holders demands to desolve the "hiphop" image that the NBA has in some way, he would've lost customers.

im just saying lets call it what it is and stop making up bullshit like "its going to benefit our children" or "its gonna teach people to dress for success" or "this is how people in other careers have to dress and we should do it as well".

agreed for the most. we live in a very PC world.

THE W
11-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Wearing suits is not that bad.
neither is wearing chains and the latest urban wear.

KBOS
11-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Honestly I couldn't really give a fuck about the NBA dress code for better or for worse, I watch the fucking court, thats where the game is

TUCO
11-05-2005, 09:22 PM
i mightve missed it but does anyone have a pic of A.I. in a suit? lol

Frank Drebin
11-07-2005, 02:35 AM
^^ got him on draft day

IRONMAN GFK
11-07-2005, 08:18 AM
agreed, the loose style is one of the things that makes nba create its own id

Seyo
11-07-2005, 09:03 AM
i don't know nothing about it, but i don't make a tragedy on it...i mean, man if you work for someone you have to respect some rules, so here in italy if a football player must appear on tv or in public the team give him a dress to wear with the team logo...off course when a player stay out for injury, but go to the arena to see the match he's recognize as a team member so he has to wear in the "right" way....overall is stupid trying to hide racial reason or controversy behind a dress code imposition....but i think that the player cannot face it, they r worker of the team, so they have to respect their rules....the problem is this fucking world...

Potent1
11-07-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't even see whats the big deal, a bruda could still exude culture in a suit. A suit is not your typical "white" attire. Thats the stupidest and most ignorant thing I've ever heard. A black man can were a suit and exude his hip hop back round. Fucking Jay Z does it all the time. Bottom line is that these men represent the NBA and if they say you have to dress this way when your at work, and YOU GETTING PAID MILLIONS EVEN HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, you fucking do it. I don't think its a bad thing. When you step off that bus you are the NBA, they want a refined masses and really their isn't anything wrong with that. Why does everything have to be a race thing?

THE W
11-07-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't even see whats the big deal, a bruda could still exude culture in a suit. A suit is not your typical "white" attire.
well then if its all the same then they shoulda just let people wear what they wanted. but its not all the same, they want to get rid the supposedly negative hiphop image.

Razorsharp
11-07-2005, 10:00 PM
i think this rule is stupid, now people cannot be themselves and express themselves....

daffy duck
11-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Hip-Hop is evil.

Potent1
11-08-2005, 12:04 AM
lol....

IRONMAN GFK
11-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Hip-Hop is evil.
hehe true