PDA

View Full Version : Is this racist?

The_SZAs
04-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Basically I'm doing a dissertation on media reports of the Rodney King beating and the riots and dat.

I came across some stuff from the Daily Mail in the UK (it's like Fox News in newspaper format)

" Now America is divided and ruled by an obsession with all things ethnic. The great society is becoming tribalised."

"In that Los Angeles jury room, it was the white tribe which took the law into its own hands. Elsewhere, in campuses and city halls, blacks and others, by virtue of race rather than talent, can be seen banging the drum and calling the tune."

"Once again even the rioters hadn't learned a lot from their ancestral rock throwers of the Sixties. The blacks looted and burned their own areas."

I dunno, when reporting on race and using the term 'tribalised' seems a bit suspect.
"Banging the drum" "ancestral rock throwers"

Maybe i'm reading too much into it, and am subconsciously racist myself for thinking that's what that newspaper's tryin to do

Edgar Erebus
04-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Both. You are racist and the paper is racist.

diggy
04-05-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't think it was racist, however, I think the writer projected his/her own thoughts onto the issue which did not add anything of benefit to it. I thought writers are supposed to be objective as possible. It was condescending and disrespectful.

Dr. Simon Hurt
04-05-2012, 08:44 PM
I think that once you run with the "tribalised" theme, the other terms just naturally follow...it's called an "extended metaphor", fellas.

And it's a British newspaper commenting on current events in America, of course the perspective is going to be skewed and patronizing...as if British society hasn't been polarized over racial events in modern times.

Nomad-1
04-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Basically I'm doing a dissertation on media reports of the Rodney King beating and the riots and dat.

I came across some stuff from the Daily Mail in the UK (it's like Fox News in newspaper format)

" Now America is divided and ruled by an obsession with all things ethnic. The great society is becoming tribalised."

"In that Los Angeles jury room, it was the white tribe which took the law into its own hands. Elsewhere, in campuses and city halls, blacks and others, by virtue of race rather than talent, can be seen banging the drum and calling the tune."

"Once again even the rioters hadn't learned a lot from their ancestral rock throwers of the Sixties. The blacks looted and burned their own areas."

I dunno, when reporting on race and using the term 'tribalised' seems a bit suspect.
"Banging the drum" "ancestral rock throwers"

Maybe i'm reading too much into it, and am subconsciously racist myself for thinking that's what that newspaper's tryin to do

When it comes to the terminology, "tribalism" is not inherently racist, as some tribes were actually a class rather than an ethnicity. The Habiru for example, were nomads, that were a mix of different peoples, who had cross a very valuable trading route to Egypt.
However, denoting a jury for possibly being a white unity or "the blacks" as being a tribe, is not only racist, it's stupid.

We Americans do not have tribes today. We do not have total unity with those who simply share ancestory or pigment; and thank God for that.
When I go to Europe, it feels like I'm going to someone's grandma's house. Folky, corny, idealistic and warm. It's overly sentimental and promotes too much the view of oneness.
I am an individual, entirely seperate from those around me. I am responsible for what I do, I am not my ancestors, I am not subject to clan destined rules, values and altruistic, petty humanism. Fuck anybody who tells me I should be.

They're clearly evil...