PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first beat machine

grt05
05-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I just bought my first beat machine.

Went with the Native Instruments Maschine. Seems pretty dope from the videos i have watched.

Any advice for when it arrives? Anyone else have it?

I've never made beats before but I have a lot of ideas. We'll see if they'll translate from ideas to finished products.

GRANDMASSIVE.
05-14-2012, 01:40 PM
From 1 producer to an up & comming producer, just be patient & study your craft. At first it may not be a easy as you think but the more you practice the better you will become. peace.

grt05
05-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely in it for the long haul..and im sure it will be frustrating at first. So yeah..patience is key i guess.

Drunken Monk
05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
maschine looks very good
all u need is practise practise and mo practise.... thats the way u will discover how good is ur machine
have fun

THE MASON
05-14-2012, 04:01 PM
fuck quantize

just practise playing drums over a metronome for hours on end and get your timing down. then start playing drums over sample loops, then move into chops and so on.

but ya stick with it. i been at it for a year, and it was shitty at first tryin to string a rhythm together. once you get the basics down start experimenting

fuck quantize

laolu
05-14-2012, 05:05 PM
fuck quantize

This

grt05
06-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Hey...why do you guys say fuck quantize?

Also...i'm finding nailing down drum beats pretty easy at the moment, trying to vary it up a little bit by adding fills and rolls and shit.

But the thing i'm finding really hard is chopping up samples.

I can find a loop or whatever, and loop it and put some drums on it and a bass line and make a banging beat...but that's not really what i want to be doing.

I wanna chop samples up and play them out in my own way and order and still have it sound right on time and beat...i just can't seem to find the right way to chop it up.

How do you guys chop your samples? What do you listen out for when picking out your chops?

PANDA PISS
06-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Hey...why do you guys say fuck quantize?

Also...i'm finding nailing down drum beats pretty easy at the moment, trying to vary it up a little bit by adding fills and rolls and shit.

But the thing i'm finding really hard is chopping up samples.

I can find a loop or whatever, and loop it and put some drums on it and a bass line and make a banging beat...but that's not really what i want to be doing.

I wanna chop samples up and play them out in my own way and order and still have it sound right on time and beat...i just can't seem to find the right way to chop it up.

How do you guys chop your samples? What do you listen out for when picking out your chops?

i quantize stuff. i think its down to personal choice and how you like your shit to sound. i like everything perfectly on beat like 95' havoc beats, but other people prefer slightly offbeat stuff along the lines of doom/rza etc.

its basically just about putting time in and not getting frustrated, nobody gets good overnight.

THE MASON
06-01-2012, 11:01 AM
i say fuck quantize because being 100% on beat doesnt give you a lot of swing or groove and thats what makes beats feel natural.

people wonder what gives Preemo such ill drums, its his crazy swing. Pete Rock got funky groove.

as far as chops go, you just gotta go by your ear. at first find a 12 bar loop, chop it down to say 6 2 bar chops, then start messin with em to see if you can play a different melody.

you might have to tune the chops. even tho they are from the same loop, chops change, and tuning the chop will make them sound as one again. this is hard, im still learning a lot about how to tune your sample proper

grt05
06-17-2012, 04:17 PM
as far as chops go, you just gotta go by your ear. at first find a 12 bar loop, chop it down to say 6 2 bar chops, then start messin with em to see if you can play a different melody.

you might have to tune the chops. even tho they are from the same loop, chops change, and tuning the chop will make them sound as one again. this is hard, im still learning a lot about how to tune your sample proper

Tune the chops? Do you mean each individual chop?

grt05
06-17-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm still struggling with this. I can find dope loops in samples and speed em up lay some drums on them and have sick beat.

But that's about it...i'm finding it hard to create my own melodies from samples...and have it all sound right.

Where do you chop from? On beat?

PANDA PISS
06-17-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm still struggling with this. I can find dope loops in samples and speed em up lay some drums on them and have sick beat.

But that's about it...i'm finding it hard to create my own melodies from samples...and have it all sound right.

how long have you been trying to do make beats?

Mai Wang Tu Phat
06-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Agree with not doing quantizing, Just practice staying on beat. I promise you, a beat played naturally will always sound better than if quantized it or programmed sample chops.

THE MASON
06-18-2012, 08:53 AM

just keep workin on it

chops arent easy and some samples cant be chopped.

grt05
06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Agree with not doing quantizing, Just practice staying on beat. I promise you, a beat played naturally will always sound better than if quantized it or programmed sample chops.

I'll keep this in mind and do it from now on.

just keep workin on it

chops arent easy and some samples cant be chopped.

Will do. Have you got any links to beats you've made that have been chopped and not loops that are just sliced..like most of my beats lol.

grt05
06-18-2012, 03:53 PM
how long have you been trying to do make beats?

Had the Maschine for about 2 weeks. Haven't been working on it solid everyday. But i have like 5-6 beats that i've sampled from soul tunes. But not chopped up. Just looped in the right places.

These beats aren't exactly bad either..i think they're actually quite dope..but i'm gonna get bored just straight looping stuff.

PANDA PISS
06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
2 weeks in you can't expect to be an expert on it lol just keep practising

?mark
06-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Not good enough to advice.

BUT HAVE FUN AND SLAP THAT B"$#H UNTIL IT BOUNCES !!!!

http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=326315&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/326315/sexy-butt-slap-in-slow-motion.html)

PANDA PISS
06-18-2012, 06:18 PM
yo how is the machine? i been trying to figure which joint to get. i was leaning towards a cheaper akai joint just cos its the standard but this one looks dope and got damn elle varner is fine.

grt05
06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
yo how is the machine? i been trying to figure which joint to get. i was leaning towards a cheaper akai joint just cos its the standard but this one looks dope and got damn elle varner is fine.

From the little time i've had using it it's great. I like that it's a hardware software combo..half the time i don't even need to look at the computer screen though which is great.

I got my head around the technical aspects in less than a day and i've never made beats before. Definitely suggest looking up some videos of it on youtube, plenty out there.

THE MASON
06-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I'll keep this in mind and do it from now on.

Will do. Have you got any links to beats you've made that have been chopped and not loops that are just sliced..like most of my beats lol.

https://www.box.com/s/8b00c09f4aa0f7987f93

everything i have done in the last couple months has all been chops.
this is a simple one not many chops to create the pattern

Chief Bob
06-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Here is a beat I made for a battle against monk, you can hear how I chopped it:
Original Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtl1G5SeuG0
My Beat: http://soundcloud.com/chief-bob/wucorpbattle

Peace!

grt05
06-19-2012, 06:56 PM
https://www.box.com/s/8b00c09f4aa0f7987f93

everything i have done in the last couple months has all been chops.
this is a simple one not many chops to create the pattern

Here is a beat I made for a battle against monk, you can hear how I chopped it:
Original Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtl1G5SeuG0
My Beat: http://soundcloud.com/chief-bob/wucorpbattle

Peace!

Thanks for these.

Will check them out ASAP.

Most of the beats i've made so far have simple, "boom bap...boom bap" with some hi hats and shit..drum beats..i wanna mix it up a little bit and make it a little more interesting..something like this. Any idea where i can learn how to do that?

SMHyWLg5pe8