PDA

View Full Version : Jesus

grt05
07-01-2012, 07:25 PM
This is the sample, play the video to hear it.
http://www.discogs.com/Ian-McCulloch-September-Song/release/1133808

I chopped the sample to my pads and played a 4 bar pattern..then added my own drums and bass line.

http://soundcloud.com/gurpswu/jesus-was-a-homosapien-1

The name is random, ignore it.

Tell me what you think, feedback and criticisms etc. Making beats for about 3 or 4 weeks on and off.

grt05
07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
23 views and no feedback? Come on!

John Nash
07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
i probably dont know enough about beats to give u good feedback but personally i liked how u flipped the sample but i didnt like the drums u made as much but u should get better if youve only done it for 3 weeks

Chief Bob
07-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Itīs a good beat, the bass is on point and the chops arenīt bad. For one of your first beats, very tight.

EDIT: BTW, nice sample. ;)

grt05
07-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Appreciate the feedback fam.

i probably dont know enough about beats to give u good feedback but personally i liked how u flipped the sample but i didnt like the drums u made as much but u should get better if youve only done it for 3 weeks

Thanks....what about the drums didn't you like? Just curious so i can improve..was it the sound of the drums? Or just the rhythm.

grt05
07-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Itīs a good beat, the bass is on point and the chops arenīt bad. For one of your first beats, very tight.

EDIT: BTW, nice sample. ;)

Yeah, my friend came across a couple thousand records. He's dropped some off at my house. One of the first ones was this 10 inch 78 record. My turntable doesn't even play 78's lol...but i played it anyway and heard some strings. Sped it up in maschine and chopped it.

John Nash
07-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Yeah, my friend came across a couple thousand records. He's dropped some off at my house. One of the first ones was this 10 inch 78 record. My turntable doesn't even play 78's lol...but i played it anyway and heard some strings. Sped it up in maschine and chopped it.

i think it was cuz they didnt really stand out. u see i like drums like j dillas which really stand out and have a thick snapy sound. i thinkthats wat it is

THE MASON
07-03-2012, 09:27 AM
this isnt a bad beat. just needs a better mix job, your kicks are behind the sample to much and the snare is just flat out weak.

everything else is pretty nice tho. works for a quick verse, if you added some rides to the last 4 bars, it would act as a hook variation to the beat and give some more flavour i thnk

grt05
07-03-2012, 08:20 PM
this isnt a bad beat. just needs a better mix job, your kicks are behind the sample to much and the snare is just flat out weak.

everything else is pretty nice tho. works for a quick verse, if you added some rides to the last 4 bars, it would act as a hook variation to the beat and give some more flavour i thnk

Thanks for that...i've fixed it..Not sure why i didn't notice that the first time.

It's really blatant that the kicks are getting overpowered by the sample.

THE MASON
07-04-2012, 10:45 AM
sometimes you gotta step back for a few hours or even a day to get the mix down proper.

mixing beats is a fuckin pain. i hate it and love it.