5.2Pac
4.Jay-Z
3.Biggie
2.Nas
1.Rakim

thoughts?

UNCLE RUCKUS
07-06-2012, 07:17 AM
thats a bullshit list one of the worst I've ever seen theyre talking lyricism and essentially saying 50 Cent>>>Ghostface??? or DMX>>>Percee P seriously stupid fucking list!!

Big Smokes
07-06-2012, 07:18 AM
i thought so to how is eminem before krs

Apocalypse
07-06-2012, 07:18 AM
list is not bad, but no Ghostface or Raekwon?

John Nash
07-06-2012, 07:43 AM
list is fucking terrible. this is mine from the top

1 gza
2 j live/one be lo
4 gift of gab
5 kool g rap
6 rakim

im 17 and i can make a far better list. that list is generic as well. no thought went in2 it. they just mentioned the most obvious emcees. even underground ones they mentioned the most obvious like canibus. they should change the name 2 'top 50 most well-known emcees'. seriously method man? dudes a very good emcee. but he aint much of a lyricist. if were being honest hes the 2nd least lyrical in wu tang and theres far worse choices than method man on that list

Apocalypse
07-06-2012, 07:54 AM
list is fucking terrible. this is mine from the top

1 gza
2 j live/one be lo
4 gift of gab
5 kool g rap
6 rakim

im 17 and i can make a far better list. that list is generic as well. no thought went in2 it. they just mentioned the most obvious emcees. even underground ones they mentioned the most obvious like canibus. they should change the name 2 'top 50 most well-known emcees'. seriously method man? dudes a very good emcee. but he aint much of a lyricist. if were being honest hes the 2nd least lyrical in wu tang and theres far worse choices than method man on that list

you are too young to understand, but opinions are like assholes, and sorry, but your is kinda shitty.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 07:59 AM
you are too young to understand, but opinions are like assholes, and sorry, but your is kinda shitty.

so im shitty 4 thinking a list with rick ross is shit

Apocalypse
07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
so im shitty 4 thinking a list with rick ross is shit

Rozay aint shitty, trust me, if you think he is shitty you can prove it, just do it better than him.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Rozay aint shitty, trust me, if you think he is shitty you can prove it, just do it better than him.

whats so good about him. right lets look at someone who wasnt even mentioned there. j live. and i'll shopw u why hes better than rick ross
now look at this song

KK2BgAqml98
thats very complex cuz hes using turntable metaphors like 'Yo, as I start from scratch about this born suspect named Nic' (reference to scratching discs) or 'To the clubs, constantly getting caught up in the mix
Slipping through the fingers of the system' (again caught up in a mix as in a mix a deejay creates and slipping through the fingers like when the deejays scratching with his fingers) nearly every line in that song is a metaphor. u can either take it as live being a disc or its a story about a gangsta and his brother. and both sides of the story r concise clear images.

i can show u way more things about j live. what makes rick ross so lyrical

Apocalypse
07-06-2012, 08:22 AM
well, Rozay can give you vivid pictures of life in the ghetto throw his words, and that is dope, almost like a mafia movie, J-Live can be poetic and all, but trust me, that isnt everything, cuz if that were the most important thing there are a lot of better poets outside hip-hop, but hey, like I said, opinios are like assholes, you cant like or not mine, and yes, maybe you are right, maybe guys like J-Live, Abstract Rude, etc are way more inteligent and complex on his rhymes, but on other hand "simplicity is the new sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 08:26 AM
well, Rozay can give you vivid pictures of life in the ghetto throw his words, and that is dope, almost like a mafia movie, J-Live can be poetic and all, but trust me, that isnt everything, cuz if that were the most important thing there are a lot of better poets outside hip-hop, but hey, like I said, opinios are like assholes, you cant like or not mine, and yes, maybe you are right, maybe guys like J-Live, Abstract Rude, etc are way more inteligent and complex on his rhymes, but on other hand "simplicity is the new sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci.

well ok thats ur opinion but rick ross doesnt paint vivid pictures in my head. if i had 2 choose a mafioso rapper who paints vivid pictures id choose kool g rap

Apocalypse
07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
well ok thats ur opinion but rick ross doesnt paint vivid pictures in my head. if i had 2 choose a mafioso rapper who paints vivid pictures id choose kool g rap

well, thats legit, but on the other hand maybe thats why he his so much higher in the list than Rozay.

JakobR
07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
The list actually started off somewhat nicely but ended up being a joke. It's like they ran out of non-mtv rappers and just decided to throw in the usual jokes.

Fatal Guillotine
07-06-2012, 09:39 AM
smh at AZ and Cormega not beginning on the list

josborne3680
07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
No Ghost then no legitimacy. Sorry but thats how I feel. Peace

UNCLE RUCKUS
07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
the people on this list for the most part are correct (minus fucking Lil Kim Rick Ross dMX and fucking Fab-o) but its a retarded order You think any fucking retard believes 2Pac is that much better lyrically than GRAp?? Fuckin Eminem is iller lyrically than the Genius?? Oh and the Northern Irish kid is right Rick Rozay is pussy

THE MASON
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
these magazines use the word lyricists and emcees interchangably.

get over yourselves, jesus christ. the list wasnt bad at all and since when has the source been relevent to anyone in 2012? and they put Lil Kim and Rick Ross near the bottom

and that northern irish kid has an identity complex, just ignore him.

i do agree that Ghostface should have made that list tho

Mista JpKoff
07-06-2012, 10:58 AM

good post!!

MaskedAvenger
07-06-2012, 11:03 AM
i didnt even read up till the top 10 and that shit was wack

DUMBO
07-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Another political list. Tupac and biggie don't really belong on lyrical lists (maybe biggie). Pharoah and many many other mc's are far more lyrical than the boring narrow-minded rappers on this list.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 12:14 PM
if u replaced the weaker rappers on the list with jean grae k rino ghostface masta killa inspectah deck one be lo j live gift of gab shad illogic aesop rock aceyalone chino xl ras kass and other such rappers (cant b bothered mentioning more) and then sort out the order. then youll have a very good list tbh.

LORD ZERO
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
well, Rozay can give you vivid pictures of life in the ghetto throw his words

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0_Pa_hlrEA0/T47PLprDq6I/AAAAAAAAByU/jPQnlIpMCoE/s1600/hyena-laughing1.jpg

Hollow Dartz
07-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Please don't not ruin this thread by posting wack/average MC's youtube videos who you thought should have made the list who are unknown to almost anyone but you. Back on topic, I think Jay-Z is too High, and GFK should've been somewhere on this, and Cormega should've made it, my only three complaints. This list is tough to compile anyways so give them some credit.

Hollow Dartz
07-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Another thing, the thing that separates Lyricists on this list from niggaz like j-live or whatever wack dude ya'll are going to bring up is these people on this list have MORE THAN JUST LYRICS. Of course there's a few niggaz who could've made it that haven't but ya'll nerds are fucking bitching on here. It is what it is.

TAURO
07-06-2012, 02:13 PM
I agree with most of the choices on the list but just not the order, it's all subjective of course so im not mad at that, but in a list that is supposed to be top 50 Lyricists then Kanye West has no business being on there much less in the top 40. If this was a top 50 MOST INFLUENTIAL then ok but Kanye is borderline average at best on the mic, his strength lies in production.

Ghost In The 'Lac
07-06-2012, 02:18 PM
The person who wrote that list really didnt like Wu Tang huh. Raekwon has to be there. A lot of the old school like Kane and Melle can only be judged on their era and timeframe it was defintely elevated after them.

As does DOOM.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Another thing, the thing that separates Lyricists on this list from niggaz like j-live or whatever wack dude ya'll are going to bring up is these people on this list have MORE THAN JUST LYRICS. Of course there's a few niggaz who could've made it that haven't but ya'll nerds are fucking bitching on here. It is what it is.

'y'all nerds are fucking bitching here' what in the same way u bitch about majority of wu tang members on their own site non-stop all the time. j live has 2 classic albums and hes worked with legendary producers like dj premier prince paul and pete rock. please tell me what hes lacking. hes not just lyrics like some mixtape rapper. hes got flow hes a gr8 artist got 2 classics. i doubt youve heard much from him. but please defend this amazing list of amazing lyricists like 50 cent lil kim and rick ross.

i think u should b banned from bitching about wu tang from now on when u defend lists like these.

Hollow Dartz
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
'y'all nerds are fucking bitching here' what in the same way u bitch about majority of wu tang members on their own site non-stop all the time. j live has 2 classic albums and hes worked with legendary producers like dj premier prince paul and pete rock. please tell me what hes lacking. hes not just lyrics like some mixtape rapper. hes got flow hes a gr8 artist got 2 classics. i doubt youve heard much from him. but please defend this amazing list of amazing lyricists like 50 cent lil kim and rick ross.

i think u should b banned from bitching about wu tang from now on when u defend lists like these.
What classics???? GTFOH man so what if he worked with the greats, so did Afu-Ra :clap:. You still haven't told me what else he has besides lyrics. And please don't, I will not derail this thread. You can PM me if your period is really on.

Hollow Dartz
07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
I agree with most of the choices on the list but just not the order, it's all subjective of course so im not mad at that, but in a list that is supposed to be top 50 Lyricists then Kanye West has no business being on there much less in the top 40. If this was a top 50 MOST INFLUENTIAL then ok but Kanye is borderline average at best on the mic, his strength lies in production.
WHAT?! lol idk man, Kanye can spit when he really wants to. He's better than most out right now when he's not bullshitting.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 02:40 PM
What classics???? GTFOH man so what if he worked with the greats, so did Afu-Ra :clap:. You still haven't told me what else he has besides lyrics. And please don't, I will not derail this thread. You can PM me if your period is really on.

'the best part' is definitely a classic and most would say 'all of the above' is a classic.

'You still haven't told me what else he has besides lyrics' i think i told u when i said 'hes not just lyrics like some mixtape rapper. hes got flow hes a gr8 artist got 2 classics'

what more is there. true hes not the most inluential but hes a gr8 artist with classic albums and material. what else is there

EDIT: he also had gr8 production on his first album if thats another thing u wanna hear

John Nash
07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
WHAT?! lol idk man, Kanye can spit when he really wants to. He's better than most out right now when he's not bullshitting.

wait a minute. am i hearing correctly. kanyes one of the best rappers out right now yet majority of wu tang r shit right now.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA lmfao

Hollow Dartz
07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
wait a minute. am i hearing correctly. kanyes one of the best rappers out right now yet majority of wu tang r shit right now.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA lmfao

The majority of Wu-Tang is shit right now. Kanye Is hot like it or not. See you're still young so you have that "if it's on tv or radio it's wack mentality" lol haha I had that mentality at your age too, grew out of it quick.

'the best part' is definitely a classic and most would say 'all of the above' is a classic.

'You still haven't told me what else he has besides lyrics' i think i told u when i said 'hes not just lyrics like some mixtape rapper. hes got flow hes a gr8 artist got 2 classics'

what more is there. true hes not the most inluential but hes a gr8 artist with classic albums and material. what else is there

EDIT: he also had gr8 production on his first album if thats another thing u wanna hear

You're still not answering the question. WHAT ELSE DOES HE HAVE BESIDES LYRICS!!!!!!!!

50 Cent, might not be the best lyricists (You wonder why he starts off the list) but has Mic presence, he's cocky as shit on the mic, he gets niggaz to listen to his words, he got charisma, he got flows, has classic hits, he can control the crowd.....i'm not gonna argue with you over a MC that shouldn't be on the list. LOL @ J-Live...

Like i said I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you here, I won't derail the thread. At the end of the day it's your opinion. You said it yourself "true hes not the most influential" I'm pretty sure every MC on that list influenced niggaz heavily like it or not. Every MC on that list has classics that will go down in Hip-Hop history. They have more than just LYRICS. Peace.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 03:07 PM
The majority of Wu-Tang is shit right now. Kanye Is hot like it or not. See you're still young so you have that "if it's on tv or radio it's wack mentality" lol haha I had that mentality at your age too, grew out of it quick.

You're still not answering the question. WHAT ELSE DOES HE HAVE BESIDES LYRICS!!!!!!!!

50 Cent, might not be the best lyricists (You wonder why he starts off the list) but has Mic presence, he's cocky as shit on the mic, he gets niggaz to listen to his words, he got charisma, he got flows, has classic hits, he can control the crowd.....i'm not gonna argue with you over a MC that shouldn't be on the list. LOL @ J-Live...

Like i said I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you here, I won't derail the thread. Peace

right this is fucking simple man. u asked me what else does he have besides lyrics. ill show u the quote one more time

'hes not just lyrics like some mixtape rapper. hes got flow hes a gr8 artist got 2 classics'

very simple stuff. i said in that sentence hes got flow. and then i talked about his discography saying hes got 2 classics. i cant believe im showing u that again.

most of what u said about 50 is the same thing mic presence, cocky and charismatic r all pretty much the same thing.

j live has a better discography and flow than 50 cent. idc about how many hits 50 has j live has better songs. like rugged man said 'Even five year old white girls be rappin' today/
On the playground like 'go shorty it's ya birthday' (Go, go, go..)'

idc if its on tv or not. wu tang were on tv and had a multi platinum album so that shows idgaf.

and it seems 2 me you havent even listened 2 j live and i think judging a rapper without listening 2 them is just as ignorant than not listening 2 someone cuz theyre on the tv.

kanye is not hot. hes fallen off big time with his production and his lyrics and flow r nothing special

theheavens
07-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I know everybody's bitching already, but seriously, no Ghostface, Raekwon, or AZ? that's fucking FOUL

TheFunkyDrummer
07-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Hahahahaha this thread is funny and I thought you guys were trolling but you're serious about it. J-Live shitty? Hahahahhahaha. 50 has mic presence ahahahahhahahahahahah and he has charisma ahhahahahahhahahahahaahahhahahahha. J-Live destroys most of your favorite rappers, the dude is a beast, a monster he will slaughter 99,999999999999% of the rappers out there. He doesn't have flow? He will eat 50 alive. 50 Cent had 1 good album and that's Power of the Dollar, do you actually think he's trying, he's garbage. It was about top 50 best lyricist and this list sucks just as much as HollowDartz view on hiphop. Kanye sold out face it, you're a bitch in every Method Man-related thread you talk about how he is recovering yet you listen to commercial ass faggots. We all know you hate undergroundhiphop and love to suck Kanye's dick. I don't even get how you can hate on the current Wu (true the 90's were way better years for them, but they're still lightyears ahead of what's out right now) and talk about guys like Kanye. Kanye had great potential, but instead he chose for the money which I don't blame him but don't cover that shit with he's great and all that bs. You're probably bumping Watch the Throne right now.

http://ebengregory.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Jay-Z-Kanye-Back-rub.gif

Hollow Dartz
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Hahahahaha this thread is funny and I thought you guys were trolling but you're serious about it. J-Live shitty? Hahahahhahaha. 50 has mic presence ahahahahhahahahahahah and he has charisma ahhahahahahhahahahahaahahhahahahha. J-Live destroys most of your favorite rappers, the dude is a beast, a monster he will slaughter 99,999999999999% of the rappers out there. He doesn't have flow? He will eat 50 alive. 50 Cent had 1 good album and that's Power of the Dollar, do you actually think he's trying, he's garbage. It was about top 50 best lyricist and this list sucks just as much as HollowDartz view on hiphop. Kanye sold out face it, you're a bitch in every Method Man-related thread you talk about how he is recovering yet you listen to commercial ass faggots. We all know you hate undergroundhiphop and love to suck Kanye's dick. I don't even get how you can hate on the current Wu (true the 90's were way better years for them, but they're still lightyears ahead of what's out right now) and talk about guys like Kanye. Kanye had great potential, but instead he chose for the money which I don't blame him but don't cover that shit with he's great and all that bs. You're probably bumping Watch the Throne right now.

http://ebengregory.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Jay-Z-Kanye-Back-rub.gif
Kanye still has his first 3 albums that were hot. Watch the Throne isn't all that could've been way better. What's wrong with my view on hip-hop? To me you don't have to be lyrical all the time to be a good MC. What commercial faggots I like? Kanye? First 3 albums are good, Jay-Z? Has endless classics 50 Cent doesn't have mic presence or Charisma?? LOL let's recognize real, just because you don't like a MC doesn't mean you can't deny the obvious....Like i said before "You like what you like"... I won't debate over why this artist is such and such.....Like i said GFK not being on this list would be my major complaint. That's it. Oh yeah and you're right about one thing, I think underground hip-hop is wack as fuck right now. J-Live isn't all that.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Kanye still has his first 3 albums that were hot. Watch the Throne isn't all that could've been way better. What's wrong with my view on hip-hop? To me you don't have to be lyrical all the time to be a good MC. What commercial faggots I like? Kanye? First 3 albums are good, Jay-Z? Has endless classics 50 Cent doesn't have mic presence or Charisma?? LOL let's recognize real, just because you don't like a MC doesn't mean you can't deny the obvious....Like i said before "You like what you like"... I won't debate over why this artist is such and such.....Like i said GFK not being on this list would be my major complaint. That's it. Oh yeah and you're right about one thing, I think underground hip-hop is wack as fuck right now. J-Live isn't all that.

u dont even listen 2 j live. u just asked me what classic albums he has. the best part is a certified classic so u mustnt have heard him if ur asking that. so how can u possibly know if he isnt all that.

theheavens
07-06-2012, 04:38 PM
what do you guys think of About.com's list of the 50 Greatest MCs then? they made it a few years back

http://rap.about.com/od/toppicks/ss/Top50Emcees.htm

TheFunkyDrummer
07-06-2012, 04:38 PM

I think The College Dropout is a very, very good album, maybe it's a classic. His latest solo album is extremely overrated by fans, the sampling on there is very poor plus Kanye's mc's skills don't make up for it. The Late Registration is decent, but I can live with it when people say it's good cause he still made great beats around that time. Graduation and 808 are garbage. Kanye up until BE made fantastic beats, after that it went downhill but still did a couple of good beats. 50 Cent does not have mic presence, you think cause he's talking about bitches and cars he has mic presence? I don't even think Jay-Z is bad at all, I think the underground-fans underrate him and forget about the classic Reasonable Doubt, but a lot of shit after that.. most of it is just (below) mediocre/bad. Big Daddy kane has mic presence, not 50 Cent. Big Daddy Kane has charisma, not 50. I also think it's stupid that Ghost is missing and the whole list is shit, the worst thing is that GZA is below some lowlifes and rappers that are way inferior to him. Underground hiphop right now is not wack, the things you heard may have been wack but there's a lot more out there and if you search properly, you'll find the right stuff. Don't tell me you think the latest CYNE album/mixtape was wack and if you haven't listened to it yet you should now.

Hollow Dartz
07-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I think The College Dropout is a very, very good album, maybe it's a classic. His latest solo album is extremely overrated by fans, the sampling on there is very poor plus Kanye's mc's skills don't make up for it. The Late Registration is decent, but I can live with it when people say it's good cause he still made great beats around that time. Graduatian and 808 are garbage. Kanye up until BE made fantastic beats, after that it went downhill but still did a couple of good beats. 50 Cent does not have mic presence, you think cause he's talking about bitches en cars he has mic presence? I don't even think Jay-Z is bad at all, I think the underground-fans underrate him and forget about the classic Reasonable Doubt, but a lot of shit after that.. most of it is just (below) mediocre/bad. Big Daddy kane has mic presence, not 50 Cent. Big Daddy Kane has charisma, not 50. I also think it's stupid that Ghost is missing and the whole list is shit, the worst thing is that GZA is below some lowlifes and rappers that are way inferior to him. Underground hiphop right now is not wack, the things you heard may have been wack but there's a lot more out there and if you search properly, you'll find the right stuff. Don't tell me you think the latest CYNE album/mixtape was wack and if you haven't listened to it yet you should now.
Oh I agree 100%, DTF is definitely overrated, but that shows you the state of hip-hop, a 4 star album at best is considered a classic when there's nothing but 1 star albums dropping lol haha, I agree with you on that point. Graduation was his last good MC effort, after 808 I knew it was no turning back for the nigga, but let's face it, who wants to be stuck in the box their whole career? Who doesn't want to experiment instead of doing the same shit over and over, you may not like it but you can respect it. That's why I don't get on Rza too hard, he experiments with his shit, it may be wack, but I still respect the nigga for making the effort. I'm not even gonna talk about 50 cent because you don't know the meaning of mic presence or charisma asking me a question like that. Reasonable doubt isn't even Jay-Z best shit, alot of it isn't bad, are you listening to the singles only? LOL and Underground hip-hop as a whole is wack. Anybody can pick out 3-5 hot MC's, just like you can do in the mainstream because it's wack too. Underground Hip-Hop ain't been hot as a whole since Monkey Barz. Also I'm fine with where Gza is on the list, he fell off and hasn't done anything memorable since 05', honestly he hasn't done anything memorable outside the Wu-Tang Clan, unlike Meth, Raekwon, Rza, Ghost....and I'm still pissed Ghostface ain't make the list

John Nash
07-06-2012, 04:55 PM
what do you guys think of About.com's list of the 50 Greatest MCs then? they made it a few years back

http://rap.about.com/od/toppicks/ss/Top50Emcees.htm

that list is a lot better than the source one and its not just based on lyrics so i can see why they might prefer other emcees who are not as lyrical but id still disagree with lots of it

Hollow Dartz
07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
"The following MCs were chosen mainly for their lyrical durability"

TheFunkyDrummer
07-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Oh I agree 100%, DTF is definitely overrated, but that shows you the state of hip-hop, a 4 star album at best is considered a classic when there's nothing but 1 star albums dropping lol haha, I agree with you on that point. Graduation was his last good MC effort, after 808 I knew it was no turning back for the nigga, but let's face it, who wants to be stuck in the box their whole career? Who doesn't want to experiment instead of doing the same shit over and over, you may not like it but you can respect it. That's why I don't get on Rza too hard, he experiments with his shit, it may be wack, but I still respect the nigga for making the effort. I'm not even gonna talk about 50 cent because you don't know the meaning of mic presence or charisma asking me a question like that. Reasonable doubt isn't even Jay-Z best shit, alot of it isn't bad, are you listening to the singles only? LOL and Underground hip-hop as a whole is wack. Anybody can pick out 3-5 hot MC's, just like you can do in the mainstream because it's wack too. Underground Hip-Hop ain't been hot as a whole since Monkey Barz. Also I'm fine with where Gza is on the list, he fell off and hasn't done anything memorable since 05', honestly he hasn't done anything memorable outside the Wu-Tang Clan, unlike Meth, Raekwon, Rza, Ghost....and I'm still pissed Ghostface ain't make the list
But this list was about the best lyricists, you think GZA isn't too low? They're talking straight lyrics. It's way, way too low, GZA only got stronger lyrically over the years but it got less entertaining as well like you said, his last amazing album was Grandmasters and even on that record you could see that his flow was bit inconsistent. Out of all the lyricists mentioned on that list GZA is #1. When it comes to influence then I can see why a G Rap or Rakim got higher on the list. The list is bullshit, why would you be pissed about something that is stupid, most lists are nothing but the typical choices. It's like you'll get killed for not having Biggie Smalls or 2Pac on the list.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 05:06 PM
"The following MCs were chosen mainly for their lyrical durability"

0% finance has been gzas most lyrical song even hes hinted this. groundbreaking has been more lyrical than majority of liquid swords. only song gza mightve been more lyrical on was living in the world today. also his storytelling songs have improved. look at columbian ties. thats his most vivid story yet its his shortest wih 32 lines (no other rapper has come close 2 painting such vivid pictures in such short amount of time) so yes hes lyrical durable. and did u see the other emcees above him. some of them r dead so how can they b lyrically durable

theheavens
07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
the dude who writes for About.com knows his hip-hop better than the people at Source

Hollow Dartz
07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
But this list was about the best lyricists, you think GZA isn't too low? They're talking straight lyrics. It's way, way too low, GZA only got stronger lyrically over the years but it got less entertaining as well like you said, his last amazing album was Grandmasters and even on that record you could see that his flow was bit inconsistent. Out of all the lyricists mentioned on that list GZA is #1. When it comes to influence then I can see why a G Rap or Rakim got higher on the list. The list is bullshit, why would you be pissed about something that is stupid, most lists are nothing but the typical choices. It's like you'll get killed for not having Biggie Smalls or 2Pac on the list.
Of course Biggie & Pac are going to appear, THEY DO deserve to be on that list, so high? I would have them between 7-15 IMO. I also think GZA is not the #1 lyricists lol, I don't know where do people get this idea from, Rakim, Nas > GZA. IMO.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 05:14 PM
the dude who writes for About.com knows his hip-hop better than the people at Source

or the source r just trying 2 make a list 2 please the largest amount of people so more people will buy their magazines

soob
07-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Where's Killah Priest? He is better than 90% rappers of this list.
Lil Wayne? No fuckin' way ! The most of his lyrics were written by ghostwriter. Kanye is same shit! Damn.

I think the Juggaknots' member, Breezly Brewin should be added, but fuck it -- ain't no honest hip-hop list in today's world

I also think GZA is not the #1 lyricists lol, I don't know where do people get this idea from, Rakim, Nas > GZA. IMO.

Hmmm.. Rakim could be better than GZA, but Nas is a worse rapper than Genius for sure.

TheFunkyDrummer
07-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Of course Biggie & Pac are going to appear, THEY DO deserve to be on that list, so high? I would have them between 7-15 IMO. I also think GZA is not the #1 lyricists lol, I don't know where do people get this idea from, Rakim, Nas > GZA. IMO.

Ok your opinion but you're saying you don't get where people get that idea from? I'll tell you. GZA is way more clever than Nas at his best. GZA has way more complex metaphors, in fact most of them you probably won't even notice cause he did in a clever way, his use of double entendres is way more superior than Nas, similes are all subjective, subject matter again subjective but I think concepts like Fame & Queen's Gambit require more skill than I Gave You Power which is great. Almost every line of GZA is a quote, in Nas case let's be honest not even 10% of his work is quote-able and Nas was never able to be consistent after Illmatic a whole album. Nas a better MC overall, subjective but I find it hard to believe people think Nas is the better lyricist unless you haven't paid enough attention to GZA's craft. Also I can see why people think of Rakim as the superior MC. He has a way better discography (about 4 classics whereas GZA has 2) than GZA, his flow & delivery were always better but lyrically again GZA is ahead of him.

Hollow Dartz
07-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Ok your opinion but you're saying you don't get where people get that idea from? I'll tell you. GZA is way more clever than Nas at his best. GZA has way more complex metaphors, in fact most of them you probably won't even notice cause he did in a clever way, his use of double entendres is way more superior than Nas, similes are all subjective, subject matter again subjective but I think concepts like Fame & Queen's Gambit require more skill than I Gave You Power which is great. Almost every line of GZA is a quote, in Nas case let's be honest not even 10% of his work is quote-able and Nas was never able to be consistent after Illmatic a whole album. Nas a better MC overall, subjective but I find it hard to believe people think Nas is the better lyricist unless you haven't paid enough attention to GZA's craft. Also I can see why people think of Rakim as the superior MC. He has a way better discography (about 4 classics whereas GZA has 2) than GZA, his flow & delivery were always better but lyrically again GZA is ahead of him.
I don't understand why we have to shit on one rapper just to prove another rapper is better. Nas is ahead of Gza is almost every category imo.

John Nash
07-06-2012, 05:32 PM
not really shitting on nas. sure look at his 2nd best album. it was written. it had mediocre songs like nas is coming watch dem niggas and street dreams. sure it had amazing songs like the message if i ruled the world and i gave u power but the album was pretty inconsistent. even illmatic was inconsistent with represent and 1 time 4 ur mind. a lot of his stuff is filler. it depends on what u define as categories.

PANDA PISS
07-06-2012, 06:49 PM
watch dem niggas is a song made by an angel, spanky

any bar in that song takeovers most rap careers

THE W
07-06-2012, 07:33 PM
-lil kim is not spitting iller darts than royce the 59, neither is little wayne.

-queen latifah is not spitting more lava than Gza, talib kwali, big L, method man, or black thought, neither is kanye west.

-lauryn hill is not a top 10 lyricist.

-where the fuck is ghostface and where the fuck is inspectah deck?

list fails, source fails(what else is new), move on.

tekunique
07-06-2012, 11:44 PM
-lil kim is not spitting iller darts than royce the 59, neither is little wayne.

-queen latifah is not spitting more lava than Gza, talib kwali, big L, method man, or black thought, neither is kanye west.

-lauryn hill is not a top 10 lyricist.

-where the fuck is ghostface and where the fuck is inspectah deck?

list fails, source fails(what else is new), move on.

co-sign

RZA, Ghost & Rae should have been on the list on the real. that list is just plain dumb, even if it wasnt in order it still fails.

llBARlllCODEll
07-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Underground Hip-Hop ain't been hot as a whole since Monkey Barz.....and I'm still pissed Ghostface ain't make the list

agreed

my complaints with the list are Jay anf Pac are too high on the list. At least 1 lyricist from wu should have been in the top 10 and both Priest and Ghost should have been within the top 15.

then theree was alot that should have been left off the list

Apocalypse
07-07-2012, 01:58 AM
like somebody already said, this list iz fake because it doesnt has Tony Starks

Apocalypse
07-07-2012, 02:13 AM
& maybe Rozay aint da best lyricist but da big guy got stylee

hustlin in Miami BMF

Carol City Cartel

SL33
07-07-2012, 02:29 AM
bullshit list.

John Nash
07-07-2012, 02:45 AM
watch dem niggas is a song made by an angel, spanky

any bar in that song takeovers most rap careers

I just had a hard time following the song I didn't know what he was on about for a lot of it he said something like " chasing down ur prime time" I've got no idea what that meant. His stories in it weren't that vivid to me. Sorry.

soob
07-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Ghostface is dope and he should be on this list, but as I said this list without Killah Priest is ridiculous :)

Shadow Demon
07-07-2012, 08:01 AM
LOL at Andre 3000, Jay Z, Biggie, 2PAC and Ice Cube being better lyricists than Kool G Rap

Kool G Rap should be in the top 5

TheFunkyDrummer
07-07-2012, 09:14 AM
LOL at Andre 3000, Jay Z, Biggie, 2PAC and Ice Cube being better lyricists than Kool G Rap

Exactly. This list is a joke, no way these guys come close to Kool G Rap's lyrical ability. The writer probably never listened to "Kool is Back", "Play it Kool", "Blowin Up In The World" or "A Thugs Love Story". If he did he would have realized Kool G Rap deserves better than that. Ice Cube made great music but is extremely overrated when it comes to lyrics, most of the shit he said was just gangsta simple stuff yet entertaining. He never had mindblowing metaphors or anything like that. Giancana is the king.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
07-07-2012, 09:36 AM
50 cent at 50, that's gotta be a xxl inside joke or something and bis, he still one of the sickest to ever do sure that recent battle didn't help at all but there's no denying his lyricism. For the most part list are list and can be interpeted in any way fans wanna.

infinite vagina
07-07-2012, 10:04 AM
01. Kool Keith
02. Q-Tip
03. Rakim
04. Big Daddy Kane
05. Lil B

Hollow Dartz
07-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I just had a hard time following the song I didn't know what he was on about for a lot of it he said something like " chasing down ur prime time" I've got no idea what that meant. His stories in it weren't that vivid to me. Sorry.
But you can understand GZA as clear as day? lol haha man gtfoh

John Nash
07-07-2012, 02:05 PM
But you can understand GZA as clear as day? lol haha man gtfoh

theres a difference between complex metaphors/lyrics that arent easy 2 get and lyrics that arent easy 2 get cuz theyre lacking in detail or just dont make much sense

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-08-2012, 03:35 PM
HHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

I'm pretty sure u could squeeze K-Rino and Shad in instead of Lil'Kim and Snoop [I love his music, but he ain't a liricist].

main_man
07-09-2012, 12:58 AM
for this being a list by a magizine thats been irrelevant for over a decade as far as hip hop culture goes, its not that bad.

we all have gripes.

i love miss hill, but in no way shape or form is she a top 10 mc.

the list really falls apart toward the end.

ludacris?? you already have redman on there. luda's been doing his down south redman impression for years, and he's nowhere near as good.

if you have rhythm & cadence, YOU can do what rick ross does. seriously, he has one of the easiest styles to imitate in the history of hip hop. and not cause he's complex, but because the shit he does is so goddamn simple. people jock this fake clown to no end. i say fuck him.

and even though i like j-live.
kanye > j-live.
sorry backpackers, its just the way it is.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-09-2012, 05:19 PM
u really think so about J-Live and Kanye? I like them both, but J-Live is def better lyrically

I'd also put PackFM on the top50

John Nash
07-09-2012, 05:43 PM
and even though i like j-live.
kanye > j-live.
sorry backpackers, its just the way it is.

:nonono:

Well unless u mean both rapping and producing u can make that point but as a lyricist or a rapper then it's
:nonono:

theheavens
07-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Kanye is a producer. a great one. but that's it. not a single memorable line as a lyricist.

but seriously...again...no GHOSTFACE KILLAH????!!!

Pattch82
07-10-2012, 07:57 AM
I knew this list was gunna suck before I even entered the thread... then I saw Lil' Kim made the top 50 and that just confirmed it!!

There is no way that 2Pac, Lauryn Hill and a couple of the others deserve to be in the top 10. Kool G Rap would have been my number 1. And the Wu would have been alot higher up that list.

Peace!

Twiztid-Wutang
07-10-2012, 09:46 AM
I was okay with 1-34, then it just went to shit after that

T.I, Rick ross, Fab and Ludacris over Lupe and Royce is just laughable

TheFunkyDrummer
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I was okay with 1-34, then it just went to shit after that

T.I, Rick ross, Fab and Ludacris over Lupe and Royce is just laughable

Most of Royce shit is boring and he doesn't have lyrics. He has a great song Boom and some others but that's it. Lupe definitely is top 50 even though I hate his work lately.

adrianoter
07-13-2012, 06:36 AM
The Source, oh wait they lied, KRS should be no 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. KRS is the GOAT fuck all them other wack "rappers" on the list, none compare to the LEGEND KRS (yeah yeah STFU wait till Return of the Boom Bip comes out with prod by Preemo)

Ghost In The 'Lac
07-13-2012, 11:53 AM
What is a lyricist, anyway? Why would Kane be on there?

TheFunkyDrummer
07-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Here you go. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lyricist

Hawkeye
07-13-2012, 01:36 PM
How is it possible Masta Ace isn't even on the list? I guess the list could have been worse.

$inista
07-13-2012, 03:57 PM

seriously:thumbdwn: boooooo!

2l2O-JOXG_I

Ghost In The 'Lac
07-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Lol there's nothing lyrical about Kane imo. He's about persona.

His lyrics were sounding dated even in 88, you had Slick Rick bringing out songs like Children's Story and that whole album was already way ahead of anything Kane was doing "lyrically". As was By All Means Necessary, Critical Beatdown, Road To the Riches , Straight Outta Compton.......

TAURO
07-13-2012, 07:57 PM
People need to understand that it don't matter the order of the list, it's who is on the list that really matters, no one is going to fully agree with the order regardless of what they put.

noel411
07-14-2012, 08:53 AM
32.GZA
3.Biggie

lolz hard. When I saw this thread title I never had any doubt the list would be laughable, but I thought I'd have a quick squizz to see where Gza placed, as I knew they'd at least have enough decency to put him in there somewhere, but fuck. Just the 2 quoted positions above make this nothing but pure comedy to me. I don't care what people say about Biggie as an overall mc. I think he's overrated even though he was a true mc. But whatever. I don't give a shit about people saying he was one of the greatest or whatever. But top 3 lyricist? Fuck. It's just unfathomable for me to comprehend how anybody could possibly say that with sincerity. I mean I'll be honest. He wasn't even a GOOD lyricist. Just plain average. Third best of all time? Wow. Just totally fucken unbelievable. I'd laugh at that even if a pop fanzine or something said it. But a hip hop magazine that expects to be respected. Fuck me.

I also noticed 50 Cent got a mention. lolz. I'm literally laughing as I type this. Just pure fucken comedy.

Big Baby Jesus 666
07-14-2012, 08:59 AM
This list is alright, but i immediately thought about Gift of Gab who's a dope lyricst who has many thought provoking songs

theheavens
07-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Lol there's nothing lyrical about Kane imo. He's about persona.

His lyrics were sounding dated even in 88, you had Slick Rick bringing out songs like Children's Story and that whole album was already way ahead of anything Kane was doing "lyrically". As was By All Means Necessary, Critical Beatdown, Road To the Riches , Straight Outta Compton.......

Big Daddy Kane, in a sense, was the ultimate MC during his day. I would put Rakim and Slick Rick above him, but his flow, humor, deep lyrics, and thug/pimp/persona made him the whole package. all the other MCs were stuck on just one act.

anyway, the REAL top 50 MCs list (from About.com) ranked him #3 on the list

http://rap.about.com/od/toppicks/ss/Top50Emcees_10.htm

TheFunkyDrummer
07-14-2012, 06:09 PM
This list is alright, but i immediately thought about Gift of Gab who's a dope lyricst who has many thought provoking songs

I agree. Gift of Gab is one of the greatest lyricist of all time, extremely underrated and very clever lyricist. Nia and Blazing Arrow are classics and his wordplay is very interesting. Doesn't have a bad album.

BLACK BART SIMPSON
07-14-2012, 09:54 PM

i wud say rae, ghost , vado ... but ross sometimes is on point i just think hes highly overrated

check two
07-14-2012, 10:44 PM

hahaha

$inista
07-15-2012, 12:53 AM
fuck that BS BDK heavily influenced you favorite rapper nuff said

as far as rick ross i would replace him with tech nine or even chino XL not that i'm die hard fan, their just way more lyrical & been around longer then ross