PDA

View Full Version : Is Ip Man the best kung-fu franchise of all-time?

KATO
07-15-2012, 09:25 PM
For quality storyline, quality action scenes, and quality........everything you could ask in a kung-fu flick, would you call it the greatest of all time?

Sure it doesn't have Bruce Lee, and it isn't Enter the Dragon, but it DOES have Donnie Yen, who IMO is the best kung-fu star today. It can be disputed since Jackie Chaan and Jet Li are still active, and I believe Tony Jaa is in the midst of making Tom Yum Goon 2 (The Protector 2) but Donnie has to be my #1 fav, along with this franchise.

I really don't see many movies comparing to this other than Enter the Dragon, or maybe to an EXTREMELY lesser extent, Bloodsport (only because its a classic personal fav of mine), or Return of the Dragon (again, a personal fav due to the epic battle between Bruce and Chuck) but really, what series can compare?

- Once Upon a Time in China? Great series, but doesn't add up IMO.

- Forbidden Kingdom? Sure it posts Jackie and Jet FINALLY against one another, but overall the movie was a bit corny, but I still enojyed it....so no, it doesn't compare.

- 5 Deadly Venoms?, The Fearless Hyena movies? Prodigal Son? Drunken Master? Hero? Shogun Assassin?

What's your take on this?
Lets really discuss this.

MaskedAvenger
07-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Not the best Kung Fu movie and I've seen a lot, my Kung Fu collection is more than 1400 right now, but it is probably the best Kung Fu movie if your just a regular fan because its the type of movie that you don't have to be a Kung Fu film buff to enjoy. I know heaps of people who aren't into martial arts movies but love Ip Man.

Rame
07-16-2012, 03:25 AM
Part 1 & 2 are dope but I haven't seen enough kung-fu movies to know if they're up there with the best. I like Jacky Wu aswell (S. P. L. (a.k.a. Kill Zone) with Donnie Yen & Legendary Assassin). Also really like Bin Won in Man From Nowhere although that's more of an action/thriller movie.

Is Ip Man 3 any good?

Shadow Demon
07-16-2012, 03:38 AM
Probably yes, excellent fight scenes storyline etc.

@ Rame havent seen ti might check it out but im wary since that remake (actually just Ip Man legend is born) doesnt have Donnie Yen

KATO
07-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Part 1 & 2 are dope but I haven't seen enough kung-fu movies to know if they're up there with the best. I like Jacky Wu aswell (S. P. L. (a.k.a. Kill Zone) with Donnie Yen & Legendary Assassin). Also really like Bin Won in Man From Nowhere although that's more of an action/thriller movie.

Is Ip Man 3 any good?

Probably yes, excellent fight scenes storyline etc.

@ Rame havent seen ti might check it out but im wary since that remake (actually just Ip Man legend is born) doesnt have Donnie Yen

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/The_Legend_is_Born_%E2%80%93_Ip_Man_poster.jpg

^ yea this is a different franchise al2gether.

I read Donnie Yen wasn't interested in doing a 3rd one, but apparently he changed his mind? I think he is willing to do Ip Man 3D or something.

MaskedAvenger
07-16-2012, 08:53 AM
There is 2 new Ip Man movies coming out, one called 'Grandmasters' starring Tony Leung which one suppose to come out before the Donnie Yen one did, and another starring Donnie Yen which will be Ip Man 3 and is going to be shot in 3D

Here is the trailer for Grandmasters

7CfC_1_Wpmo

Also really like Bin Won in Man From Nowhere

This movie is fuckin awesome

Shadow Demon
07-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Man From Nowhere was a good film

Filmwise i generally only fuck with Asian films

there's some excellent korean films out there, thrillers action etc, with excellent visuals and acting.

Watch The Yellow Sea if you havent seen it, great korean film. the villain in the poster is an excellent actor, gritty visuals and the like

Rame
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out some time.

Unfortunatly they don't release a lot of asian movies in the Netherlands. And the import of that movie is pretty expensive so I'll have to find an other way to watch it. ;)

Shadow Demon
07-16-2012, 01:28 PM
watch Wu Xia (Swordsmen) with Donnie Yen too, not as much action but the script and story is better imo

KATO
07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out some time.

Unfortunatly they don't release a lot of asian movies in the Netherlands. And the import of that movie is pretty expensive so I'll have to find an other way to watch it. ;)

^ try this site:

1channel.ch

and use putlocker, or sockshare. No DLing, and no plug ins required, just stream and watch.

Some are better quality than others, but you get what you pay for right?......"free"

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
07-22-2012, 03:35 PM
IP man was good there after it all smells of bullshit "lets make money off the 1st movie's success".

KATO
07-22-2012, 08:15 PM
^ You didn't like the 2nd one? I thought it was decent, not as good as the first but the Donnie Yen/Sammo Hung fight was pretty epic.

Shadow Demon
07-23-2012, 01:05 PM
IP man was good there after it all smells of bullshit "lets make money off the 1st movie's success".

I think money is the main factor, but also the fact that Yip Man is a national treasure of China. Dude merked the Japanese and the British you can't get more OG than that in a patriotic Chinese person's view.

Also i'm pretty sure Donnie Yen is a demigod

Shadow Demon
07-23-2012, 01:06 PM
also did anyone peep Ip Man : The Legend is born?

i know its not as good as Ip Man w/ Donnie Yen, but still

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
The 2nd one didnt have the heart the 1st one did.

IMO

It seemed contrived.

KATO
07-23-2012, 03:27 PM
The 2nd one didnt have the heart the 1st one did.

IMO

It seemed contrived.

Sammo is unimpressed with that statement

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-veJBbKncMSw/T4BlUKPD5WI/AAAAAAAAAqM/yrtLBFv5Bxo/s320/SammoHung

100pr00f
07-25-2012, 07:11 AM
as a franchise ...hmm i dont think there are many franchises in kung fu

but i would say its up there but i think jet li's once upon a time in china would be higher

if asian films all together

you have the likes of
lone wolf and cub
zatoichi
a better tomorrow

i think this would be a good write up on this topic as i see none on this on google i might have to do this...but need look up asian film franchises and buy some movies first haha

KATO
07-25-2012, 09:08 AM
as a franchise ...hmm i dont think there are many franchises in kung fu

but i would say its up there but i think jet li's once upon a time in china would be higher

if asian films all together

you have the likes of
lone wolf and cub
zatoichi
a better tomorrow

i think this would be a good write up on this topic as i see none on this on google i might have to do this...but need look up asian film franchises and buy some movies first haha

Well if we included all Asian films, there'd be too many to discuss. Including such like a Better Tomorrow, you'd also have the Young and Dangerous series to consider, Infernal Affairs, I guess the Ong-Bak series would also be included in the Kung-Fu genre, even the Jackie Chan "Super Cop/Police Story" series....

I was specifically referring to Kung-Fu Franchises; yea there aren't that many, but there are quite a few......Once Upon a Time in China was a great series with the exception to Once Upon a Time in China: In America, which was awful.....but Iliked Ip Man better overall for quality storyline, acting, and fight choreography

KATO
07-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Also forgot to mention the Street Fighter series

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PQKMK7VCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I still prefer Ip Man obviously, but gotta give some love to Sonny Chiba

tekunique
07-30-2012, 10:14 PM
IP MAN is only 2 films no ? can that even be called a franchise ? first one was sick as fuck but wasnt feelin the sequel.

KATO
07-30-2012, 11:14 PM
^ Franchise can have different definitions depending on what you refer to, but last i checked any film that generates a prequel or sequel is a franchise IMO.

And apparently they said Donnie Yen will do Ip Man 3 after previously saying no, but nothing has been confirmed yet from what I've checked.

It's supposedly gonna be called "Ip Man 3D" if it's made....

Razorsharp
08-01-2012, 05:34 AM
i love both the ones out right now.. i think i like number 2 better actionwise tho, 1st one had the heart and gusto tho... lets jus hope they dont drag it out 3 and thats it, move on! but yes donnie yen is on fire now, he got lucky like robert downy jr. & ironman... blossomed!