PDA

View Full Version : Lord Finesse sues Mac Miller

Yuki
07-18-2012, 06:23 AM
kinda late on this but i haven't seen anyone talking about it so i figured i'd share...

Legendary emcee and producer Lord Finesse has filed a lawsuit against Mac Miller for unauthorized use of one of his beats.

Lord Finesse has filed a $10 million lawsuit against Mac Miller for using the former's "Hip 2 Da Game" beat without permission.

Finesse, a member of New York's Diggin' in the Crates Crew (D.I.T.C.), released "Hip 2 Da Game" in 1995. The song was featured on Finesse's third solo album, 1996's The Awakening, as a single. It was performed and produced by the Bronx native.

According to Courthouse News Service, Lord Finesse is suing Mac Miller because of Miller's use of the "Hip 2 Da Game" beat on the song "Kool Aid & Frozen Pizza (The Kool Aid Song)." Miller's song is featured on his mixtape K.I.D.S.: Kickin' Incredibly Dope Shit.

"This is a case about a teenage rapper- Mac Miller- copying the music from a song written, produced and performed by Lord Finesse, a hip hop legend, changing the title and then distributing it under his own name in order to launch his music career," states Finesse's complaint.

Finesse says he filed the lawsuit after mixtape-hosting site DatPiff.com, Miller, and Rostrum Records (Miller's label), refused to respond to a cease an desist letter earlier in July.

Apocalypse
07-18-2012, 08:21 AM
wait, arent rappers using other guys beats all the time in their mixtapes?

ShaDynasty
07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
not even a mac miller fan but lord finesse failed here, and then hes talking about "i hope we can still work together in the future" yeah right lol.

Rame
07-18-2012, 12:59 PM
In case anyone cares.

http://allhiphop.com/2012/07/11/hip-hop-rumors-mac-miller-responds-to-lord-finesses-10-million-lawsuit/

EAGLE EYE
07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Actually that track is being sold for $0.99 through the amazon and itunes store, so i think Finesse actually has a case.

It it was a track made without the intent of reaping profits, this mac&cheese kid would be protected by derivative/fair-use copyright laws

EAGLE EYE
07-18-2012, 02:06 PM
5. Finesse never cleared the Oscar Peterson sample on the original record. I did nothing wrong

Actually Finesse should probably STFU before a label or estate sues him over that sample.

ShaDynasty
07-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Actually that track is being sold for $0.99 through the amazon and itunes store, so i think Finesse actually has a case.

It it was a track made without the intent of reaping profits, this mac&cheese kid would be protected by derivative/fair-use copyright laws

didn't know this, thought it was a mixtape video

Actually Finesse should probably STFU before a label or estate sues him over that sample.

haha just checked the sleeve notes he only cleared one sample on the whole album, the album probably didn't sell enough for it to be worth peoples time or money suing though.