PDA

View Full Version : Snoop Dogg is tired of hip hop and changes his name to Snoop Lion

netscape check two
07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
NEW YORK (AP) Snoop Dogg wants you to know that he's tired of hip-hop, is Bob Marley reincarnated and is embracing reggae instead of the culture of guns he once rapped about.

Also, he's got a new name: Snoop Lion.

The artist said at a news conference Monday in New York that he was "born again" during a visit to Jamaica in February and is ready to make music that his "kids and grandparents can listen to."

The former gangster rapper is releasing a reggae album called "Reincarnated" in the fall. He said that in Jamaica, he connected with Bob Marley's spirit and is now "Bob Marley reincarnated."

Bob Marley's son Rohan attended the conference and gave Snoop his blessing.

"I feel like I've always been Rastafarian," Snoop said of the spiritual Jamaican movement. While there, he said, he visited a temple, was renamed Snoop Lion and was also given the Ethiopian name Berhane, meaning "light of the world."

Snoop didn't explain why he was switching from "Dogg" to "Lion," but it's likely a reference to the Lion of Judah, a religious symbol popular in Rastafarian and Ethiopian culture.

Later, he played five songs for a small crowd, including one called "No Guns Allowed." It features his daughter and includes the lyrics, "No guns allowed in here tonight, we're going to have a free for all, no fights."

"It's so tragic that people are doing stupid things with guns," he said.

Snoop, best known for hits like "Gin and Juice" and "Drop It Like It's Hot," is an avid supporter of marijuana rights and has been banned from entering Norway for two years after trying to enter the country with a small amount last month.

He said that in Jamaica, where he stayed for 35 days, he grew closer to his wife, who saw his transition. He added that he's excited to perform music that his family and children can listen to.

"As a 40-year-old man ... I've got to give them something," he said. "That's what you do when you're wise."

Snoop Dogg said he's not completely retiring from hip-hop but is "tired" of the genre because it is no longer challenging.

"Reggae was calling ... it's a breath of fresh air," he said. "Rap isn't challenging; it's not appealing."

The album was produced by Diplo and will feature Snoop singing. It will be released on Vice Records.

The album will be followed with a documentary of the same name, also produced by Vice. It features Snoop making music and will include some personal elements of his life, a producer of the film said. It will debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.

A coffee table book about Snoop's rebirth is also in the works.

"It feels like I'm 19 or 20 years old again," he said.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/snoop-dogg-becomes-snoop-lion-readies-reggae-cd-161013663.html

KERZO
07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pzruhGCRDBE/TaNUUvNVD9I/AAAAAAAAAJc/wtZ9cezc8vg/s1600/halfbaked.jpg

Yuki
07-31-2012, 07:13 PM
good for him

food for thought
07-31-2012, 08:04 PM
"I feel like I've always been Rastafarian," Snoop said of the spiritual Jamaican movement. While there, he said, he visited a temple, was renamed Snoop Lion and was also given the Ethiopian name Berhane, meaning "light of the world."

lol "light of the world"

Berhane simply translates to "my light"

food for thought
07-31-2012, 08:07 PM
this is pretty fucking weird but its watever

he might need salt like your mans bland ballad.

food for thought
07-31-2012, 08:17 PM
hahaha yo

this is exaclty what the world needs. More rappers turned reggae singa's

LOl if this is what priest came up with, can snoop do any better?? lmfao

Sg_gGMaR8IU

food for thought
07-31-2012, 08:20 PM
"are you coming from a villageeeee?"

spammy sosa
07-31-2012, 09:07 PM
perfect.

theheavens
07-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Snoop, best known for hits like "Gin and Juice" and "Drop It Like It's Hot," is an avid supporter of marijuana rights and has been banned from entering Norway for two years after trying to enter the country with a small amount last month.

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/breivik-22.jpg?w=300&h=427

Shadow Demon
08-01-2012, 01:47 AM
it would be good for him to a degree to stick to some of his old game, but if its good for him its all good.

lord knows hip hop needs more positivity, because to a degree it encourages violence.

evne tho hes switching to reggae it will still influence hip hop

Shadow Demon
08-01-2012, 01:51 AM
lol "light of the world"

Berhane simply translates to "my light"

are Rasta words directly derived from Ethiopian dialects?

GRANDMASSIVE.
08-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Snoop Lion...????

THUGNIFICENT
08-01-2012, 01:27 PM
it'll be really awkward if he drops an amazing album as snoop lion

DUMBO
08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
He was a muslim on Slick Rick's album, now this. He seems like one of those morons who are always "searching" for spirituality to make up for their ignorance. Boring.

Well at least he realizes that hes too old to stay in hip hop. Self-ejection.

theheavens
08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
he should've died after his debut album and the Chronic came out. at least then he'd be considered a legend instead of an embarrassment

cap
08-01-2012, 06:16 PM
he should've died after his debut album and the Chronic came out. at least then he'd be considered a legend instead of an embarrassment

instant goat.

ShaDynasty
08-01-2012, 07:20 PM
snoop is one of the most prolific rappers ever. not surprising he burned out on it. he'll be back though, they all come back.

5x__9qYCNMQ

gotta say, i don't hate it

food for thought
08-01-2012, 07:28 PM
5x__9qYCNMQ

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-n8nfGS65xTg/Tp3YgVGrjSI/AAAAAAAAIvQ/heNUouEdzZE/s1600/Biden-POTUS-Facepalm.jpg

KATO
08-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I can already see him rocking the fake Jamaican accent, and dread-locking his hair

http://files.dailycontributor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/snoop_dogg_snoop_lion.jpeg

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-01-2012, 07:35 PM
snoop is one of the most prolific rappers ever. not surprising he burned out on it. he'll be back though, they all come back.

5x__9qYCNMQ

gotta say, i don't hate it
http://cdn.straightfromthea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/blankstare-CtA.gif

this sucks

oldie
08-01-2012, 07:40 PM
This is like a really bad April Fools trick. The report sounds fake as fuck. I hope this is a joke. His music has been getting worse, we all know that, but this is a joke!

spammy sosa
08-03-2012, 09:46 AM
this is awesome.

Mr. R&B
08-03-2012, 02:15 PM
it'll be really awkward if he drops an amazing album as snoop lion

You know there's absolutely no chance of that happening, right?

RADIOACTIVE MAN
08-03-2012, 04:07 PM
cappadonna once went this route,..didnt last a week

drippie k
08-03-2012, 04:34 PM
yeah..that's cappadonna....but this is snoop, he can do what the fuck he wants and get away with it..minus bringing weed to other countries haha

THUGNIFICENT
08-03-2012, 06:19 PM
You know there's absolutely no chance of that happening, right?

http://noscope.com/photostream/albums/various/I_Want_To_Believe_01.jpg

Young Gun
08-04-2012, 12:17 PM
http://noscope.com/photostream/albums/various/I_Want_To_Believe_01.jpg

food for thought
08-04-2012, 12:20 PM
lol why would you want to believe he is going to make a good reggae album when you dont even know or listen to reggae?

oh yea, because its snoop lion.

gtfo faggit.

spammy sosa
08-04-2012, 12:31 PM
lol why would you want to believe he is going to make a good reggae album when you dont even know or listen to reggae?

oh yea, because its snoop lion.

gtfo faggit.

i listen to reggae

yYGkR1ITejQ

CharlesJones
08-25-2012, 12:34 PM
When the pigs try to get at you, drop it like it's hot. If a nigga get a attitude, drop it like it's hot LOL. I love that song. I was listening to his Down 4 My Niggas song yesterday with C-Murder and Magic. That song is hard and i love it. I didn't understand C-Murder when he said if anybody fuck with Snoop Doggy Dogg, i'm a make his niggas write his name on the wall. LOL@C-Murder when he said make em bleed is the motto that i live by. If you fuck with me, it's a must you die. Magic's lyrics is funny too when he said the cops is scared to get me but i don't blame em cause they know i got a bunch of thug niggas with me hahahahahahaha. Snoop's lyrics were hard on that song. I like when he said what niggas, them niggas, yeah dawg you wit em, fuck em, let's get em, do em, i did em. We getting nutty in this muthafucka. I got my cutty in this muthafucka ready to leave a nigga bloody in this muthafucka LOL. Some of these niggas is bitches too LOL. And some of these niggas look just like you. Well where i'm from, we like to ride on fools. C-Murder and Magic, yeah them my muthafucking homies. So when shit gets thick and foggy and niggas wanna act like they wanna get with Snoop Dogg, let me let ya'll niggas know. Fuck what you going through and fuck what you stand for, fucker LOL. I also like his Buck Em and Bitch Please songs. If Snoop wants to quit rap, then quit but don't change your name to Snoop Lion and do reggae songs LOL.

netscape check two
08-25-2012, 01:09 PM
the drop it like it's hot song sucks

CharlesJones
08-25-2012, 01:14 PM
No it doesn't suck. It's one of his best songs and he got my girl Lauren London in the video. Props to Pharrell for doing that tight beat.

netscape check two
08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
hahahaha tight beat? lol

Mr. R&B
08-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Acutally R&G had some decent cuts on it.

The track with 50 Cent goes pretty hard.

Jc-xO_qHXpU

And of course my dorky ass loves this one.

xTdj4TfyZ2w

Shadow Demon
08-26-2012, 11:02 AM
^ Aint nothin dorky about Signs, that's my shit

that album had some quality joints

Signs
Oh No
Ups and Downs
Drop it like it hot
letsget blown

CharlesJones
09-29-2012, 03:46 PM
He did a album called Signs? Those songs you mentioned are on Rhythm But Gangsta album. I also like his songs Hoes, Money and Clout on his wack album Da Game Is To Be Sold Not To Be Told and Hooked on I Got The Hook Up soundtrack. I also like his collabo song with Kurupt called Ride On on Caught Up soundtrack. Check Two, you're a idiot if you think Drop It Like It's Hot song is wack.