PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on Cube?

KATO
08-05-2012, 09:27 AM
A lot of folks appear to overlook Cube as a GOAT status. Witch such MC's getting regular mentions like Rakim, Nas, 2pac, Biggie, etc etc Cube rarely gets a mention.

I gotta say Cube is up there for sure; when my older brother bought "Death Certificate" for the first time, I was only 7 when it came out, and my bro was 12 or 13, and obviously I didn't know a damn thing Cube was talking about with "Black Korea" and "Color Blind" but the mixture of charismatic vocals, and hardcore beats stood out....afterwards my bro got "Straight Outta Compton" and Cube was the voice that stood out the most to me, especially on the title track.

Others will say Eazy-E which is understandable, but Cube's verse was the first I memorized, and what stood out for NWA in my opinion.

Also his Westside Connection stuff was phenomenal, at least Bow Down was, Terrorist Threats wasn't "AS" on point, but I still enjoyed the album thoroughly....and again I think Cube stood out over Mac-10 and WC.

His catalog is also untouchable; at least his early 90's stuff:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/AmeriKKKa%27s_Most_Wanted_%28Ice_Cube%29.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8e/Ice_Cube_-_The_Predator_-_Album_Cover.jpg/220px-Ice_Cube_-_The_Predator_-_Album_Cover.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/Ice_Cube-Death_Certificate_%28album_cover%29.jpg/220px-Ice_Cube-Death_Certificate_%28album_cover%29.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d8/LethalInjectionCoverArt.jpg/220px-LethalInjectionCoverArt.jpg
http://groundctrl.s3.amazonaws.com/clients/groundctrl/media/04/08/large.70d0r2bh0dwi.jpg

I mean after the War & Peace album, he kind of turned into a new direction, and really started to focus on his movie career, so it was really hard to accept him for the "style" of rapper he was, watching him in flicks like:

Barber Shop
Are we There Yet?
XXX the sequel

etc

But obviously the content of his music will change as he gets older, like most artists, especially now that he's a family man.

And regarding his acting, I honestly believe he's the best rapper-turned-actor with the most talent.......not the best movie choices mind you, but he certainly has high-calibur acting over people like DMX, T.I, Big Boi, and others........

And when he came back "Raw Footage" and "I am the West" I liked how he "somewhat" went back to his old roots as a rapper; laugh now Cry Later was so-so IMO.

Anyways, what you think of Cube?

wutangf
08-05-2012, 10:26 AM
A lot of folks appear to overlook Cube as a GOAT status. Witch such MC's getting regular mentions like Rakim, Nas, 2pac, Biggie, etc etc Cube rarely gets a mention.

I gotta say Cube is up there for sure; when my older brother bought "Death Certificate" for the first time, I was only 7 when it came out, and my bro was 12 or 13, and obviously I didn't know a damn thing Cube was talking about with "Black Korea" and "Color Blind" but the mixture of charismatic vocals, and hardcore beats stood out....afterwards my bro got "Straight Outta Compton" and Cube was the voice that stood out the most to me, especially on the title track.

Others will say Eazy-E which is understandable, but Cube's verse was the first I memorized, and what stood out for NWA in my opinion.

Also his Westside Connection stuff was phenomenal, at least Bow Down was, Terrorist Threats wasn't "AS" on point, but I still enjoyed the album thoroughly....and again I think Cube stood out over Mac-10 and WC.

His catalog is also untouchable; at least his early 90's stuff:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/AmeriKKKa%27s_Most_Wanted_%28Ice_Cube%29.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8e/Ice_Cube_-_The_Predator_-_Album_Cover.jpg/220px-Ice_Cube_-_The_Predator_-_Album_Cover.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/Ice_Cube-Death_Certificate_%28album_cover%29.jpg/220px-Ice_Cube-Death_Certificate_%28album_cover%29.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d8/LethalInjectionCoverArt.jpg/220px-LethalInjectionCoverArt.jpg
http://groundctrl.s3.amazonaws.com/clients/groundctrl/media/04/08/large.70d0r2bh0dwi.jpg

I mean after the War & Peace album, he kind of turned into a new direction, and really started to focus on his movie career, so it was really hard to accept him for the "style" of rapper he was, watching him in flicks like:

Barber Shop
Are we There Yet?
XXX the sequel

etc

But obviously the content of his music will change as he gets older, like most artists, especially now that he's a family man.

And regarding his acting, I honestly believe he's the best rapper-turned-actor with the most talent.......not the best movie choices mind you, but he certainly has high-calibur acting over people like DMX, T.I, Big Boi, and others........

And when he came back "Raw Footage" and "I am the West" I liked how he "somewhat" went back to his old roots as a rapper; laugh now Cry Later was so-so IMO.

Anyways, what you think of Cube?

I think u can definitely separate his career and pin point when his movie career started to take over his music career.

I've always thought that cube gets shitted on for this reason.
I wouldnt say his catalouge is g.o.a.t. material, but there was a time when u didnt want to fuck with cube.
His voice, flow, charisma, at a point were top notch.
I would say top 5 for me from the west coast.
Its a shame how he doesnt get the respect he deserves especially from the average rap fan today that might only knew it from his movies.
My favorite disc from cube is preadator.

KATO
08-05-2012, 10:32 AM
^ Yea for sure, I agree with that.

I heard the War album and was not impressed, and the Peace album was even LESS impressive.....

Today's rap fan will consider the likes of Lil Wayne and Drake as top-notch, and Nelly would be considered Old School, which is bullshit.........I just asked my sister-in-law the other day who's only 20 said she had no idea Cube was a rapper, and only knew him as an actor.......that's fucking pathetic.

Predator is my fav album next to Death Certificate; When Will They Shoot?, Tear this Mu'fucka Up, Wicked, Today was a Good Day, Check Yourself, Wet'cha, etc.......great album

Longbongcilvaringz
08-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Slightly above average rapper, released some consistent albums, no shame/self respect, wants to be a movie star.

Yuki
08-05-2012, 02:51 PM
ice cube was dope before he went soft

his first 3 albums are certified classics, angry political type shit

cap
08-05-2012, 05:17 PM
who doesnt mention cube when discussing the goat? i think you need to change who you discuss hip hop with.

Cube is one of my favourites and is definitely one of the top contenders for the top spot!
from nwa to classic solo albums to movies to westside connection dude can stand with anyone when it comes to influence.

and laugh now cry later was definitely the best album of his last 3...

favourite album is also the predator!

WooHa
08-05-2012, 05:30 PM
laugh now cry later was definitely the best album of his last 3...
123, would read again

theheavens
08-05-2012, 05:37 PM
he's actually pretty acclaimed, all things considered. not sure who told you he wasn't, but this is take from his Wikipedia page:

He was ranked #8 on MTV's list of the 10 Greatest MCs of All Time, while Snoop Dogg himself ranked Ice Cube as the greatest MC of all time.[3] About.com ranked him #11 on its list of the "Top 50 Greatest MCs of Our Time."[4] Allmusic has called him one of hip-hop's best and most controversial artists,[5] as well as "one of rap's greatest storytellers."[6] In 2012, The Source ranked him #14 on their list of the Top 50 Lyricists of All Time.[7]

John Nash
08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
im not too fond of him tbh but hes got some good stuff but i think theres lots better. i think overall best west coast emcee is gift of gab

EDIT: btw cube>>>>>>>>>>>pac

TheFunkyDrummer
08-05-2012, 06:48 PM
EDIT: btw cube>>>>>>>>>>>pac

don't know about that. I don't like Pac's music as much as a lot of others, he's the most overrated rapper of all time to me but I think he's better than Cube. Cube is more of a gangstarapper than Pac but Pac is more poetic even though it's easy to understand.

Ice Cube discography shits on Pac's but I think it has to do with his personality and his sound, he doesn't have an amazing flow and his lyrics are just ok. People think It was a good day is one of the greatest stories lol it was very easy to understand but it's def a classic. He was going out and shot no one that day so it was a good day he fucked that bitch Kim, police passed by and he watched mtv raps peace.

KATO
08-05-2012, 08:08 PM
who doesnt mention cube when discussing the goat? i think you need to change who you discuss hip hop with.

Cube is one of my favourites and is definitely one of the top contenders for the top spot!
from nwa to classic solo albums to movies to westside connection dude can stand with anyone when it comes to influence.

and laugh now cry later was definitely the best album of his last 3...

favourite album is also the predator!

he's actually pretty acclaimed, all things considered. not sure who told you he wasn't, but this is take from his Wikipedia page:

He was ranked #8 on MTV's list of the 10 Greatest MCs of All Time, while Snoop Dogg himself ranked Ice Cube as the greatest MC of all time.[3] About.com ranked him #11 on its list of the "Top 50 Greatest MCs of Our Time."[4] Allmusic has called him one of hip-hop's best and most controversial artists,[5] as well as "one of rap's greatest storytellers."[6] In 2012, The Source ranked him #14 on their list of the Top 50 Lyricists of All Time.[7]

When discussing GOAT MC's here for the long time that I've posted, I've always seen people consider GZA, Nas, Rakim, even MF DOOM as GOD Status........Kool G Rap, KRS-ONE, etc etc, Jay-Z, etc

I never see Cube mentioned in these discussions......though these threads have been long gone for a bit, what with all the "Who's your top 5 fav MC's list?" and "WHo do you think are the greatest MC's of all time?" threads that would pop up here at least once a month for the longest time in the hip hop section. That is until people would get so fed up, they'd just lock and close the thread down al2gether.

Luther Van Dam
08-05-2012, 08:57 PM
my brother made some tasty meatloaf tonight. i tend to be a science fiction buff. in my college days, I was nicknamed Klaatu. these films were a little violent for my tastes, i could have done without some parts, but in all in all, they weren't too bad. i'd say worth a watch.

THUGNIFICENT
08-05-2012, 11:24 PM
my brother made some tasty meatloaf tonight. i tend to be a science fiction buff. in my college days, I was nicknamed Klaatu. these films were a little violent for my tastes, i could have done without some parts, but in all in all, they weren't too bad. i'd say worth a watch.

top 5 posters on wu corp

diggy
08-05-2012, 11:44 PM
BETTER AN ICE CUBE THAN AN ICE SQUARE. SQUARES ARE PLANES AND ICE CUBES ARE SOLID FiGURES.

main_man
08-07-2012, 12:28 AM
cubes one of the best storytellers in the history of hip hop, no question.

fantastic output in the 90s.
amerikkkas most wanted
kill at will
death certificate
predator
lethal injection
bootlegs & b-sides

and if you count the group stuff he was on or had a hand in
nwa straight outta compton
eazy e eazy does it
da lench mob
wc & the madd circle
kam
mack-10
westside connection's first album

not many have as solid of a legacy as cube.

when that friday money hit & he made that war & peace bullshit, thats when he kinda lost his ear for beats & that ill flow he always had.

but even his subpar albums got some good shit on em.

Young Gun
08-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Death Certificate is a great album, Cube's best imo. Predator comes in at a close second.

And I may be the odd man out on this, but the War disc spare maybe 3 tracks, is a solid album.

There's some great concept tracks "War & Peace" "Ghetto Vet" "Pecking Order" "Projects Part 2" "Extradition" "3 Strikes You In", and the overall flow/feel of the album I could compare to Heltah Skeltah's Nocturnal. Dark, Gritty, Suspenseful, the production is top notch. At times Cube can be weak, be imo he rarely falters on War.

The Peace disc I can't say the same for.

Laugh Now, Cry Later was average, Raw Footage was a bit better, but I couldn't feel I Am the West.

All in though, Cube is a legend, and should get more recognition musically beyond N.W.A. Amerikkka was just the tip of the iceberg imo. It all came together with Death Certificate, that album may be in my top as far as insight goes.

Big Baby Jesus 666
08-08-2012, 12:32 AM
This nigga is a fraudulent prick

Bomb america
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMm-sxhho_g

daffy duck
08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
not even in my top 100

KATO
08-08-2012, 02:09 PM
^ How can you say that???

Name your top 100 plz :D

daffy duck
08-08-2012, 02:10 PM
it's gonna take a long time

daffy duck
08-08-2012, 02:30 PM
okay top 100

a tribe called quest
digable planets
souls of mischief
the pharcyde
ultramagnetic mc's
kool keith
eric b. & rakim
big daddy kane
kool g rap & dj polo
wu-tang clan
ghostface killah
gza
raekwon
method man
rza
ol dirty bastard
organized konfusion
black moon
smif-n-wessun
heltah skeltah
de la soul
pete rock & cl smooth
brand nubian
public enemy
epmd
redman
keith murray
lord finesse
gang starr
jeru the damaja
the roots
gravediggaz
beastie boys
grandmaster flash & the furious five
masta ace
craig g
mc shan
lords of the underground
das efx
kmd
black sheep
jungle brothers
leaders of the new school
the treacherous three
kool moe dee
heavy d & the boyz
black star
talib kweli
mos def
slick rick
artifacts
main source
3rd bass
prime minister pete nice & daddy rich
dj quik
tupac
dr. dre
snoop dogg
e-40
house of pain
percee p
quasimoto
madvillain
mf doom
dangerdoom
ugly duckling
outkast
three 6 mafia
goodie mob
project pat
ugk
del tha funkee homosapien
casual
hieroglyphics
freestyle fellowship
edan
cannibal ox
el-p
saul williams
common
lil b
riff raff
spaceghostpurrp
asap rocky
odd future
earl sweatshirt
tyler the creator
domo genesis
smoke dza
action bronson
meyhem lauren
das racist
heems
kool a.d.
danny brown
flatbush zombies
kendrick lamar
schoolboy q
ab-soul
jay rock

KATO
08-08-2012, 04:13 PM
okay top 100

a tribe called quest
digable planets
souls of mischief
the pharcyde
ultramagnetic mc's
kool keith

raekwon
method man
rza
ol dirty bastard
organized konfusion
black moon
smif-n-wessun
heltah skeltah
de la soul
pete rock & cl smooth
brand nubian
public enemy
epmd
redman
keith murray
lord finesse
gang starr
jeru the damaja
the roots
gravediggaz
beastie boys
grandmaster flash & the furious five
masta ace
craig g
mc shan
lords of the underground
das efx
kmd
black sheep
jungle brothers
leaders of the new school
the treacherous three
kool moe dee
heavy d & the boyz
black star
talib kweli

slick rick
artifacts
main source
3rd bass
prime minister pete nice & daddy rich
dj quik

dr. dre
snoop dogg
e-40
house of pain
percee p
quasimoto
madvillain
mf doom
dangerdoom
ugly duckling
outkast
three 6 mafia
goodie mob
project pat
ugk
del tha funkee homosapien
casual
hieroglyphics
freestyle fellowship
edan
cannibal ox
el-p
saul williams
common
lil b
riff raff
spaceghostpurrp
asap rocky
odd future
earl sweatshirt
tyler the creator
domo genesis
smoke dza
action bronson
meyhem lauren
das racist
heems
kool a.d.
danny brown
flatbush zombies
kendrick lamar
schoolboy q
ab-soul
jay rock

I think Cube is better than the ones listed that you mentioned with a few alterations I took out

daffy duck
08-08-2012, 04:18 PM
q-tip > ice cube by a hundred trillion times

CEITEDMOFO
08-08-2012, 08:56 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8fiarZMIH1qhhxhko1_500.gif

KATO
08-08-2012, 09:46 PM
q-tip > ice cube by a hundred trillion times

Death Certificate>>>>>>>>>>A.T.C.Q & Q-Tips entire catalog by infinity

sickdog
08-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Cube is one of the greatests for me. i respect him and love his music. from NWA to lethal injection. war disc is ok, lots of banger on it. peace disc sucks, but there is few bangers, no doubt. laugh now cry later is near classick to me, love this album, 80% of tracks real bangers. if u have OG edition of that album u can enjoy dvd with videos for all tracks on album.

raw footage is great to, love it. iam west... well 50% bangers 50% garbage. hope new album will be better.

TheFunkyDrummer
08-09-2012, 07:19 AM

Get the fuck out of here. Tribe released some of the greatest hiphop albums in history, how can Cube fuck with their first 4 albums, even Love Movement might be better because of the classic beats eventho the rhymes were average. Cube was never that amazing lyrically, he was ok but his music was good. He's not on Q-Tip or Phife's level.

A75MsdqU-jc

Beats Q-Tip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ice Cube's production team
Rhymes Q-Tip >>>>>>>> Ice Cube.
Music Tribe >>>>>>>>>>>> Ice Cube.

Ice Cube has album(s) that are classic status but if it was a NY album it would never have been a classic, the level in West is just a lot lower.

Pharcyde makes better music than Cube and they're from the West.

daffy duck
08-09-2012, 08:54 AM

lolno

N4W5bEw1PJU

Mcthuggin99
08-09-2012, 05:19 PM
UN2D9yct2tY

hYpNFxV7rW8

Cube is a genius. he's definitely in my top 10. his first 3 solo's are masterpieces and he's the reason NWA made such a huge impact.

ShaDynasty
08-09-2012, 06:02 PM
yeah cube is legendary even if all he did was produce 'guerillas in the mist'.

KATO
08-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Get the fuck out of here. Tribe released some of the greatest hiphop albums in history, how can Cube fuck with their first 4 albums, even Love Movement might be better because of the classic beats eventho the rhymes were average. Cube was never that amazing lyrically, he was ok but his music was good. He's not on Q-Tip or Phife's level.

A75MsdqU-jc

Beats Q-Tip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ice Cube's production team
Rhymes Q-Tip >>>>>>>> Ice Cube.
Music Tribe >>>>>>>>>>>> Ice Cube.

Ice Cube has album(s) that are classic status but if it was a NY album it would never have been a classic, the level in West is just a lot lower.

Pharcyde makes better music than Cube and they're from the West.

Lyricism doesn't always determine the greatness of an artist, the delivery is equally important. I'm a fan of Tribe, but I don't fuck with that jazzy-smooth-sound on the regular; I like my music charismatic, and raw.......artists can demonstrate their highest potential when they are angry (not always) which is he sound I like the most.

Cube's lyrical content had an emphasis on politics, and the struggles of being a black youth in south central LA portraying an image and voicing the voiceless along with similar acts as P.E in NY and others, displaying the tension and animosity towards the powers-that be.

In the end, it all depends on preference; a lot of folks love MF Doom; especially on this forum, but in truthfulness I can't fuck with him.......at all. So to each their own, you can tell me the quality of Tribe's albums or Tha Pharcyde's material is of higher standard from an artistic perspective, but I'll throw on a a classic Cube album instantly before I play the alternative.

Also, the content of comparing Tribe or even Pharcyde for that matter to classic Cube, is like comparing apples to oranges.

lolno

N4W5bEw1PJU

yes

UN2D9yct2tY

hYpNFxV7rW8

Cube is a genius. he's definitely in my top 10. his first 3 solo's are masterpieces and he's the reason NWA made such a huge impact.

^ "winning"

Luther Van Dam
08-09-2012, 10:25 PM
top 5 posters on wu corp

well i don't really have posterrs hanging up on my walls like i did when i was a younging. though if i did give my top five i hads up at one time, i would say

barbara feldon

jane funda

sofia lauren -don't tell my wife, but i still have fond memories of her from time to time

tippi hedren

shelley fabares -obviously don't tell hayden about thut one. yes she was a little young for me, but she was so pretty and comical in the donna reed show

Longbongcilvaringz
08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
he's an amazing story teller..... considering his private school education and all of that.

g_flex
08-12-2012, 04:01 AM
Fuck the police

g_flex
08-12-2012, 04:04 AM
and A bitch is a bitch

food for thought
08-12-2012, 11:27 AM
I never liked this nigga. even as a youff.