PDA

View Full Version : Why is Illmatic a Classic album?

TSA
08-14-2012, 02:31 AM
Time to seperate the dickriding hippies from the crimies that are genuinely speaking for themselves.

THUGNIFICENT
08-14-2012, 02:35 AM
because i enjoy it more than most other albums

TSA
08-14-2012, 02:53 AM
nobody asked you gaywad

Illmatic is classic because unlike most hip hop albums, even in that area, it's very human and multi dimensional. People acknowledge nas' intelligence from it and dubbed him this krs oneish knowledge rapper but that wasn't that case, at all, it's a gangster rap album.

but unlike any gangster rap album there's no agenda. There's no motive, he's not trying to prove anything. It seems like an entry into the mind of a very intelligent young adult with at a random but pivotal part of his life. There's a stark contrast in the fact that that the album is about the ghetto and not about the ghetto at the same time. This is done by creating a work where someone in the ghetto seems to be trying to think about anything but the ghetto.

It's the moment in life where you realize you have two routes to choose from and without having made his choice or implying anything nas captured what it's like to be at that stage. The album plays like a short book. Its a gangster rap album as told by a human being as opposed to a character.

Illmatic wasn't trying to be anything, it just was. Nas captures his mind set perfectly. He's observant, quite, a nerd, secretively proud and spacey. He wants to be one of the tough guys he's seen around himself and idolizes them and their lifestyle like anyone else in his situation but is at a point in life where he's beginning to see himself in context of time and the greater picture, the end of childhood.

It's like the humble backpacker of the tribe called quest wave and era placed in the environmentally challenging and culturally unforgiving reality of the 2pacalypsenow setting.

Nas sees whats around him, acknowledges the fact that it's a part of him, but is beginning to realize that it's not all that there is to him, or the world at hand.

The marriage of vision between artist and producer is only rivalled by wutang and more amazing because it wasn't one producer. Consider the fact that the album's first skit begins with nas and his friends saying that there's more to life then what's around them and proclaiming that their dreams are possible, probably a thought that was sparked by the success of "Live at the Barbeque". After a break through like that it's easy to see there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

AZ even says that he thought his life's a bitch verse was wack and wasn't going to rap after that. Then people liked it and he realized that he might have a shot in rap after all, otherwise he was unsure of whether he was a rapper or just a guy that rapped with his friends.

anyways to start with NY state of Mind and Life's a Bitch, which are both odes to stagnation and hopelessness and finish with It Ain't Hard to Tell which is a confident song about hope and one's own potential you can see that the project mirrored life in the fact that it told the narrative of an unsure and hopeless kid becoming a more confident optimistic and aware man.

Illmatic is also the first album in hip hop history where someone rapper as themselves about themselves for the entire duration. Every album before that had a song that followed the theme or a couple of songs that do so but today it's literally the only way rappers rap. That ushered in the death of the story teller, deliberately fictitious song, and anything outside of 1st person narrative though they all died slow deaths that began with this album.

There's also an obsession with Queens in the album. All the videos, sounds used, themes, lyrics are extremely environmental and atmospheric. It gave New York the distraction of being the only coast who's music sounds like the environment looks for the 90s and exploitation of this sound ushered in the Late Golden Era (NY Golden Era).

But that's why i like it. The album is just honest and open with no motives and intentions. It's the saddest and most hopeful hip hop album i've ever heard at the same time. It's humble and arrogant at the same time and it's a nerd in a gangster rap movie.

THUGNIFICENT
08-14-2012, 02:57 AM
you did ask silly goose!! its right in the topic

TSA
08-14-2012, 03:01 AM
nobody mentioned secondaries

THUGNIFICENT
08-14-2012, 03:04 AM
ooooh!! who am i primarily? am i angry?!? heat?!?! sideshow bob?!?

TSA
08-14-2012, 03:07 AM
Dick Burgette.

TheFunkyDrummer
08-14-2012, 08:28 AM
You are a faggot for asking this question.

Ghost In The 'Lac
08-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Illmatic's art is expressing and reflecting the patterns of experience of his Queensbridge environments, he did this better than any, but one thing Illmatic mostly falls down on is while it represented the outward appearance of things and embodied hood mentality, emotions persona etc it never really touched on their deeper significance. Nas did that more on his next album. If raps a science Nas displayed exactly why, and why art and science have rooted connections - he's a master observer, and reporting down his observations without bias. And like any "high" art, it failed with the masses, selling only 50,000 in its first week. But to hip hop elite it was another story (again like great pieces of art in th past). Nas was thinking out of nothing and writing about whatver was passing through his head, this is why the debut album is positive because theres no prior conflicts or contamination of free thought, like any artist Nas and the producers were painting their reality without considering what anyone else was doing or styling. Nas was living in what many considered "nothing", making something out of it, and selling it. As Zappa said, thats "art".

RADIOACTIVE MAN
08-14-2012, 11:15 PM
feels like a college class in here

LORD NOSE
08-15-2012, 12:27 AM
it's a gangster rap album.

i stopped reading right here and wanted to drop warm piss in your eye sockets

stfu yo

you don't know shit about Hip HOP

Apocalypse
08-15-2012, 12:48 AM
this must be the dumbest question ever here on wu corp...its like asking why hip-hop is cool, of course hip-hop is cool, but do I really need to explain you why?

DR. NICK RIVIERA
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
feels like a college class in here

so what you are saying is that you are dumb and that u should GTFO

KATO
08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Because the album is great from start to finish with sick beats and sick lyrical content, along with mad replay value.

I slept on this album for years, and when I finally copped it in the early 2000's, I played the shit out of it all summer.

Represent
Halftime
It Ain't Hard to Tell
One Love
Memory Lane

etc

that album is sick, a classic, and a must-have for any rap fan IMO.

The legacy and impact it had on the rap game speaks for itself, but in detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illmatic

cj wisty
08-16-2012, 04:06 PM
its mainly a classic mostly cuz of beats. represent and one time 4 ur mind werent lyrical. it aint hard to tell isnt a song about hope. its a bragging song. are you people sure ur not going a bit overboard.

ny state of mind is by far the most lyrical song. the metaphors suggestive wording and storytelling were amazing. so many quotables. 'Once they caught us off guard, the Mac-10 was in the grass and/ I ran like a cheetah with thoughts of an assassin' 'It drops deep as it does in my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death' 'Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined' 'Life is parallel to Hell but I must maintain' 'My rhymin is a vitamin, held without a capsule'. also AZ's verse on lifes a bitch is overrated. nas beat him on it.

daffy duck
08-16-2012, 05:57 PM
illmatic is not a classic. it is just an average album and there's a lot of better albums that came out during the 90s.

ShaDynasty
08-16-2012, 07:57 PM
yeah fuck illmatic.

Rappers I monkey flip em with the funky rhythm I be kickin / Musician, inflictin composition

what the fuck? what a loser nas is having buttsex with monkeys and 'inflicting' composition ooh im scared. well im gonna kick your ass nasir who u like that?