PDA

View Full Version : are stereotypes needed

cj wisty
08-24-2012, 04:51 PM
people are often told not to prejudge or make stereotypes however i think sometimes these things are needed.

i think human beings are required to make snap judgements in certain situations. the best example i can think of although it sounds silly is if a lion is running towards me i wont sit there and let him eat me im gonna b prejudice and make a snap judgement and immediately assume the lion is bad.

if i was going to make some more realistic situations another good 1 is if i was an old man and i saw a group of teenagers late at night id probably be prejudice and assume the teenagers r bad and go a different route. although people will say the old mans being unfair i can see how he reacts that way. those teenagers couldve taken advantage of him. its a basic animal instinct that the man made a snap judgement so he could protect himself.

also although its not true that a certain individual will act a certain way cuz of his age sex race etc it is however true that individuals in certain groups have similiar characteristics. a simple one would be girls usually have longer hair than boys. people can also use this knowledge to their advantage. eg if i was an employer and i had to pick an employee for heavy manual labour and all i knew was that 1 was a kenyan and the other was american id choose the american cuz kenyans r usually very skinny and not at all muscular. however it would b a different story if i was able 2 interview these 2 different people and look at their qualifications cuz then it wouldnt b the right time 2 make a snap judgement.

netscape check two
08-24-2012, 05:17 PM
If the lion ate you, why would that mean that he was being bad?

cj wisty
08-24-2012, 05:46 PM
If the lion ate you, why would that mean that he was being bad?

its a prejudice. if u think about good and bad are opinions but in the snap judgement u decide the lion eating you is bad.

LORD NOSE
08-24-2012, 07:11 PM
people tell you not to be prejudice but also tell you that first impressions are every thing

you dress up for job interviews for a reason

if you are looking for a baby sitter and one shows up with junky holes in his/her arms, if you're smart you'd dismiss them - but the nice looking mild seeming person might be the foul one.

ShaDynasty
08-24-2012, 07:57 PM
its a defense mechanism to use stereotypes to make decisions.

its logical in terms of being a evolutionary response. but stereotypes have varying degrees of accuracy from slightly accurate to useless and false. so they are not necessary.

the job stereotype is different though. because lots of people apply for jobs the first impression means more because if they dress smart and look enthusiastic it shows they are serious about it.

making the same judgements about people based on their clothes in the street would be unfair and ridiculous.

diggy
08-24-2012, 10:39 PM
It is possible that these snap judgements we make are not ones we slowly think through, but are ones we arrive at almost immediately. It is kinda useful when we have very little info on the thing we are making the judgement about and need to come to a conclusion quickly. The more info, the better judgement we could make, but in this case there's not much, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

D.projectile
08-25-2012, 08:48 AM
mmm its mad coz people who arent on the same page or in pursuit of the same things are made to co-exist with one another

D.projectile
08-25-2012, 09:50 AM
tho we dont have to