6. Straighten It Out
7. Soul Brother #1
8 Wig Out
9. Anger in the Nation
10. They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)
11. On and On
12. It's Like That
13. Can't Front On Me
14. The Basement (Feat. Heavy D., Robo-O, Grap & Dida)
15. If it Ain't Rough, It Ain't Right
16. Skinz (Feat. Grand Puba)

I bought this CD and never really got round to listening to it for some reason. What are peoples thoughts on it?

I'm away to put it on now and I'll report back.

Wzarecta
11-09-2005, 10:58 AM
10/10

reupcoil
11-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Def.

hellbound
11-09-2005, 05:18 PM
10/10 no question

deadlymelody
11-09-2005, 10:06 PM
One of my favorite fucking albums ever. The perfect album to throw on at a party, it's so catchy.

CL Smooth has to be one of the best MC's ive heard. Tongue twisting rhymes, and a flow that can't be perfectly imitaded.

Classic

killabee_1993
11-15-2005, 06:18 AM
Great album. The legendary Pete Rock and C.L. on their best album IMO. Definitely worth picking up

J-DON
02-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Dope album but my one complaint is that I always find myself just waiting till TROY comes on cuz thats prob my favourite hip hop song EVER. Dont get me wrong all the songs are ill but I keep getting impatient and start fiendin for TROY!!

deadlymelody
11-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Yeah bump up one of the best albums ever. Should be a staplehold in everyone's top 10 or 15 albums.

the insignificant
11-18-2006, 11:38 PM
pete rock's beats get very repetitive very quickly... so if you don't like the loop that he uses at the start, the track gets very old... cl is awesome throughout though...

Koolish
11-22-2006, 02:56 PM
album is a classic for sure, i prefer some songs to others but it's pretty damn near flawless.

CharlesJones
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
I like the skit that comes after They Reminisce Over You song that has some dude rhyming while somebody else is beatboxing. That dude was flowing. I think he's in the group Ini that had the song Fakin Jax. Mecca And The Soul Brother album is a classic. Straighten It Out song is my favorite on the album. CL's rhymes are great.

UNCLE RUCKUS
01-10-2007, 08:23 PM
^^ Oh yeah thats dope I couldnt figure out who that was, INI was cool, Pete Rock did their whole lp

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Dope album but my one complaint is that I always find myself just waiting till TROY comes on cuz thats prob my favourite hip hop song EVER. Dont get me wrong all the songs are ill but I keep getting impatient and start fiendin for TROY!!

hahahaahhaha, same here at first, but know, I'm just in love with the whole album, it's Illmatic dope

famenchuan
03-02-2008, 09:54 AM
just got this album a couple months ago. Dont really like it.

Durag
03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
^^Let it grow on u man, i wasnt mad on it first either, it took me ages to get into but now i love it. And i agree with J-Don, even to this day i find myself skipping to T.R.O.Y. You like that song at least??

famenchuan
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Love Troy. I think I not into because most of the stuff I listen to has some type of grime element whether it be the production or the mc. This album has a very clean sound from the production and the the mc.

thamainfacta
03-11-2008, 07:38 PM
im not sure which i like better, this or the main ingredient. either way they are both classics.

WuGambino
09-10-2008, 06:32 AM
I like most of the songs individually but it's hard to listen to this album for me because it's like 16 songs long and most of them sound the same... plus T.R.O.Y. and a few others like For Pete's Sake and Soul Brother #1 are better than the rest and I end up skipping
plus CL Smooth isn't the most captivating rapper over an hour

Paranoid
09-11-2008, 02:35 AM
easily a classic and better then main ingredient in my opinion

crds
09-15-2008, 07:41 PM
One of the greatest Hip Hop albums ever made and easily 1992's best album.

TSA
09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
^might have to agree

claaa7
05-11-2010, 05:53 AM
this album is so fucking incredible it ain't even funny, one of the 5 best hip-hop albums ever created imo. it might take some time to adjust to it though, for a good while i thought "The Main Ingredient" was the better LP from the duo but i really came to feel this is their superior LP. Pete Rock & CL had such great chemistry together, not many duo's will ever be able to match them and Gang Starr imo.

all the beats are catchy but still ruff and uptempo and i think the guy in here who said "if you won't like the loop Pete Rock uses you won't feel the song after 2 minutes" or whatever needs to go back and listen. there's not one song on here that's just a straight loop, Pete got the funky basslines going and the heavy drums but there's plenty of switches plus horns, tambourines, saxophones and whatever fading in and out of the joints. not to mention his turntable work, easily on par with Premier.

for me it was more CL i had to get used listening to, at first i just started zoning out when i listened to him and couldn't follow him for shit but he got nice wordplay and that voice is very unique. yes the album may be long, but for me that's a good thing! i had the CD for a long time but i found out that the cassette and LP had two extra bonus tracks so i always throw that on when i bump this now, so that's like 90 minutes long!!

6/5 ("Illmatic", "Ob4cl", "36 Chambers", "Ready to Die")

claaa7
05-11-2010, 05:55 AM
also can't forget to hype up "THE BASEMENT" - that's one of the absolute illest posse cuts in history. crazy dope Jamaican flavor to the beat with that Sister Nancy sample (a sample that's been thoroughly used in hip-hop but still Pete came extremely innovative). and the whole family is representing on here; InI, Pete, CL, Heavy D and Deda Baby Pa (who absolutely KILLS it).