PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rock Vs. DJ Premier

The Last Sage
11-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Both these cats really did it in the 90's (and are still doin it now)
Who's your favorite? What's your favorite beat? I have trouble favoring one or the other. They seem to be equal in my mind.
Pete Rock, probably TROY
Premier, Rappaz R. N. Dainja (off the KRS, self-titled)

hellbound
11-14-2005, 11:11 PM
i think they both can come with it but overall i say premier

THE K-MAN
11-15-2005, 01:15 AM
both in my top 5

but Premier is the better producer imo

mscote
11-15-2005, 01:27 AM
no offense at all to Pete Rock, but Premo, its gotta be, the guy is a legend among legends.......and a beat? thats tough too, but I always thought that Common, 6th sense beat was one for the ages...... but the Gangstarr and Jeru beats, and the remixes, there's just too much to choose from!....is there a site that lists all his work over the years in entirety?

Shaolin Bloody Sword
11-15-2005, 03:33 AM
Primo of course !!!

Brand New Funk
11-15-2005, 05:30 AM
Premier is better.Can`t touch Jazzy Jeff tho :spin:

Analyze
11-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Alot of niggas sleep on Pete, but I still gotta go with Prem. Wu Forever

snapple
11-15-2005, 09:41 AM
for some reason i get the vibe that all these people who vote/make these threads aren't familiar with the people they are talkin about. both have the most incredible catalauges for producers by far. and heres an example of what i was talkin about

"
no offense at all to Pete Rock, but Premo, its gotta be, the guy is a legend among legends.......and a beat? thats tough too, but I always thought that Common, 6th sense beat was one for the ages...... but the Gangstarr and Jeru beats, and the remixes, there's just too much to choose from!....is there a site that lists all his work over the years in entirety?"

and pete rock isn't a legend among legends...what? there is also "too much to chose from" from rock....rock has just as big a catalauge as premo....rock is useually producing entire albums when premo is doin cuts for a few joints on cds.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Fuck theres no even comparison. Premos so much above every producer apart from RZA.

Murdah Piff
11-15-2005, 11:32 AM
different steez, bur PREEM WOULD SNAP ROCK'S FINGERS

jofR
11-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Pete Rock.
All I say is Petestrumentals

Bungle
11-15-2005, 12:15 PM
got mad love for both of em, both in my top 5, its a difficult one, because of the history and the records they've both put out, but, i'm gonna have to go with preemo....

cant decide which preemo beat i like best tho, probably somethin like Platinum Plus by Big L, or My World by OC, or Follow Instructions by M.O.P., or lastly Friend Or Foe '98 by Jay Z, but my fav pete rock track, Straighten It Out or The Creator....

cosimo
11-15-2005, 12:42 PM
met premier when i was cained on mdma the guy is genius! premier takes it over rock. listening to group home da real gh can't be beaten

snapple
11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
^ praise snapple the hip hop god! if you don't listen 2 him, you must be retarded! Man fuck outta here, just cus nobody wanna spend 10min. writting a fuckin post don't mean we don't know what we are talking about, take your fuckin head out'cha ass home boi, same as what u said in the "nas vs Jay-z" thread, no one listens 2 hip hop 4 your approval so if someone don't agree with u or doesn't go into as much detail as u, then whateva. every1 is entitled 2 an opinion, if some1 don't think Pete rock is a legend, then let them think that way, eventually every1 has 2 figure out their own ignorance 1 way or anotherword pay homage to da god! "just cause nobody wanna spend 10 min" yea but you sure respond every time, son what do you have a 2000 post count don't even come with a weak excuse like that, if you play ball and lose saying "i wasn't trying" just isn't good enough, grow up. Youre right, nobody needs my approval, never said people did. "everyone is entitled to their opinion", good glad you think that way so stop bitching when i'm schooling kids....i can't not let people think...i have no control over their thought process...yes everyone does figure out their own ignorance, and like i always say i'm here to help yall. I post to help you defeat your ignorance, when you have dumbasses sayin "hova sucks dick" thats your ignorance, and i'm gonna tell you thats ignorance and break it down. why the fuck are you gonna hate on me when I always CLEARLY explain my posts instead of making ignorant statements and dickriding...

pablobaluba
11-15-2005, 03:51 PM
pale kris uses steroids....

RADIOACTIVE MAN
11-15-2005, 04:07 PM
man!!

this is too fucking hard..these are some of my fav producers ever so i wont choose

snapple
11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
hey pablo, don't u got a crabkalosh cart to steal in your 3rd world dump of a country? Go play in the subways you poor ass fucker, Romanians are a waste of space......wordyou bitch about me being a dick then say ignorant prejudice shit like that....wanna be your friend? nah i'm not down like that, and how dare you say that shit god damn youre one stupid mother fucker, glad you get heated by my posts =) where you from juicy?

deadlymelody
11-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Ok call me dumb because this answer wont be paragraphs long snapple, but I choose Premier. I've heard A LOT of Pete Rock and A LOT of Premier, and Premier is better. RZA, Premier, Pete Rock top 3 ever.

snapple
11-15-2005, 07:57 PM
^^ no i think i know you don't talk some dumbshit, i'm just sayin people should explain themselves they don't have to have paragraphs nah mean

PDTantisocial
11-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Premos #2 on my list, Pete is #3

Favorite Premo tracks
"Next Level [Nyte Time Mix]" Show & AG
"JFK 2 LAX" Gang Starr
"Betrayal" Gang Starr
"N.Y. State Of Mind" Nas
"The 6th Sense" Common
"Mic Stance" Afu-Ra
"The Come Up" AZ
"Platinum Plus" Big L
"The Shit Is Real [Remix]" Fat Joe
"Take It Personal" Gang Starr
"D'Evils" Jay-Z
"Come Clean" Jeru The Damaja [Craziest shit I ever heard]
"One Day" Jeru The Damaja
"Rappaz R N Dainja" KRS-One
"P Is Still Free" KRS-One
"New Jack City" M.O.P.
"Mathematics" Mos Def
"My World" OC
"Waiting For The World To End" Rakim
"Boom" Royce Da 5'9"
"Unbelievable" Notorious B.I.G.

Some Pete joints

"The World Is Yours" Nas [Greatest]
"Gimme Yours" AZ
"Holdin' It Down" Big L
"Shut 'Em Down [Remix]" Public Enemy
"Respiration [Remix]" Black Star
"Tru Master" Pete Rock
"Half Man Half Amazin" Pete Rock
"Just Do It" Pete Rock
"It's A Love Thing" Pete Rock
"For Pete's Sake" PR & CL
"Straighten It Out" PR & CL
"Skinz" PR & CL
"T.R.O.Y." PR & CL
"Sneakers" Raekwon
"When I'm Flowin'" Rakim
"Down With The King" Run-DMC
"Who Knows Why" Freddie Foxxx
"How To Roll A Blunt" Redman

PDTantisocial
11-15-2005, 08:39 PM
And word, RZA, Premo & Pete are the 3 best ever.

RADIOACTIVE MAN
11-15-2005, 10:08 PM
man..do some of you guys realise how genius some of pete rocks beats are..i mean damn...some of his shit puts you in a time frame,almost like you in a time machine going places..his music is really powerful

pablobaluba
11-16-2005, 05:50 AM
hey pablo, don't u got a crabkalosh cart to steal in your 3rd world dump of a country? Go play in the subways you poor ass fucker, Romanians are a waste of space......wordhaha..lol you fuckin racist...you don't konw shit about my country and i'm not losing my time explaining you anything. and i'm not gonna send you pm's insulting you...like you do
haha...u retard....stop taking steroids
:cheerlie:
p.s.-goddess hates you too

mscote
11-16-2005, 07:18 AM
ouch!! read the thread backwards today...didnt realize you were dissing ME snapple!! fair enough.... internet posts are an easy medium for causing misunderstanding...and you are right, it would take a few paragraphs to legitimize our opinions, and you were right ...i sounded like i was coming down on Pete Rock which is in no way reflective of how i feel about him...damn, i even posted the "dont curse" mp3 on the exchange thread a week back cuz i still love that old beat....without a doubt, PR gets as much of my respect as Primo.

that said, i dont mean to say he has fallen off in anyway....but i just feel (and this is always about opinion anyway) that primo has that something special, like an uncanny ability to put some sparse shit together and have everyone still bopping their heads to it 10,15 yrs later (and sure, many producers have given us those timeless classics, but in my opinion, Primo has given more) i shouldnt have said "no offense to PR" because there should be no offense taken anyway. most of us will agree that both are tops, whether we are talking NY worldwide or whateva....PR, yeah, he is probably better at creating some of these complete tracks (kinda like what graveyard shifter is saying a few posts up), the ones that make you see him as a more direct descendant of the jazz soul funk giants that were often sampled for his and tons of other 90's tracks. still, i prefer primo, even if it is a first and second best kinda thing (yeah, i know, RZA is also in this but for now, lets focus on PR and Premier)

and i dont know if i misread your quote about primo doing tracks here and there? gotta disagree there....my man's got how many gangstarr albums, the 2 jeru joints, the group home (dont care if people hate the mc's, the beats are still dope as hell!) and when you start counting up the "cuts for a few joints on cds" and put those together, you are talking about albums worth of some of the best hip hop beats ever released! maybe you misunderstood when i mentioned if there was a site that listed his stuff.....it would be pretty impressive if i (or anyone) knew his whole catalog without the help of someone who had time to list it for us, like some of these internet cats do. i know i am still missing, or at least forgetting about these ones he would sneak on an album here or there by some mc i wasnt familiar with.
so there's my few paragraphs.....and i think i get your vibe about people talking about shit they dont even know about, it does happen a lot on forums in general, not just here.....dont worry though, if you ever chanced to go through my crates i am sure you'd find at least a few records you'd be happy to take home with you....
cool....i am one for healthy words on all this so i hope i answered your charges a little bit....ohhh, a PR beat? sorry, i go for "For Pete's Sake", yeah its old, but thats about nostalgia, that album was in the same league as 36 chambers for changing hip hop....

peace.......

mscote
11-16-2005, 07:19 AM
damn, sorry about the long post ya'll......really - i was just trying to say i preferred Premier!!!