PDA

View Full Version : should there still be a black history month?

thwak
02-06-2006, 06:15 PM
note: this topic is not a duplicate of the black misery month topic. yes they both have to do with black history month but they're different in subject matter.

topic: here's my question, the argument over black history month as to weather or not it should or shouldn't be relevent is simple, why is black history seperated from american history?

in reality they are both the same, or atleast the black history that is tought in america (I live in america and grew up with it's education so I have no idea if europe was tought black history or not).

However american history is a very broad subject with the majority being focused on presidents and congress throughout the times and the popular cultures throughout the times. With in this there is a problem, because all of america's presidents have been white and because black people are not in the majority to technically be considered popular culture it could be very hard for most black history to get recognized.

so my question is this, should black history get merged with american history because they're pretty much the same, or should black history month still be around because with out it most black history would get overlooked?

Lebanese_Warrior
02-06-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't think there should be a Black History Month. It's apart of American History and shouldn't be made separate. I think making there be a Black History Month is the equivalent to having some sort of segregation (if you think about it in a way) Why should we learn about black history in Feb.? Why not all year?

But that's just me.

hectis
02-06-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't think there should be a Black History Month. It's apart of American History and shouldn't be made separate. I think making there be a Black History Month is the equivalent to having some sort of segregation (if you think about it in a way) Why should we learn about black history in Feb.? Why not all year?

But that's just me.

GOOD POINT IN SCHOOL THE ONLY TIME THEY EVER TEACH ABOUT BLACK HISTORY IS IN FEB

The Antagonist
02-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Black history isn't just limited to being part of American history, its not like it started there. I think it should just be part of history, ya know? There doesn't need to be a special day/month whatever. Yeah its to get people to learn the history, but you know damn well that no one learns jack shit during it. If people are gonna learn their history, their gonna learn their history, and black history will be a part of that at some point, special month or not. I just think its pointless because nothing really happens, and it kinda makes it seem like black history is more important than other people's history, which isn't true.

WARPATH
02-06-2006, 09:41 PM
It is my opinion that- Yes there should definentley be a black history month- and here's why:

History has always been controlled by those who are in Power. The white government has the power, so they control history- what you learn about in school- ex. George Washington and the cherry tree- Boston Tea Party, - ect. ect.

By setting aside a month for black history it set's a tone for teachers to go off curriculum a bit and speak about things like the underground railroad, slavery, and exspecially black heros and role models-

Teachers curriculm has them stuffing that America conquered shit all year, and black history month sheds a light on some of the wickedness like slave trade, racism- exposing a kernal of truth of american history's atrocities, even reach the minds of young non-black children, who would otherwise, not have learned about these things.

Sexy Jasper
02-06-2006, 09:42 PM
There should be a white history month too and a yellow one oh oh oh oh and a light brownish month. Black people are not special.

Lebanese_Warrior
02-06-2006, 09:59 PM
You guys have some great points.

Prolifical ENG
02-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Incorporating black history into a section of American history would be too narrow. Black history began before American history, and the black history topics that are widely discussed (such as slave trades) involves other world regions besides America (meaning U.S.A).

Rebel_INS
02-06-2006, 10:59 PM
It doesnt really matter to me, but yea......

Koolish
02-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Black history isn't just limited to being part of American history, its not like it started there. I think it should just be part of history, ya know? There doesn't need to be a special day/month whatever. Yeah its to get people to learn the history, but you know damn well that no one learns jack shit during it. If people are gonna learn their history, their gonna learn their history, and black history will be a part of that at some point, special month or not. I just think its pointless because nothing really happens, and it kinda makes it seem like black history is more important than other people's history, which isn't true.

yeah i agree with this. in certain high school courses they'll teach you european, asian, egyptian history, nothing wrong with incorporating black history as one of those topics.
________
W215 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W215)

Aqueous Moon
02-07-2006, 12:55 AM
note: this topic is not a duplicate of the black misery month topic. yes they both have to do with black history month but they're different in subject matter.

topic: here's my question, the argument over black history month as to weather or not it should or shouldn't be relevent is simple, why is black history seperated from american history?

in reality they are both the same, or atleast the black history that is tought in america (I live in america and grew up with it's education so I have no idea if europe was tought black history or not).

However american history is a very broad subject with the majority being focused on presidents and congress throughout the times and the popular cultures throughout the times. With in this there is a problem, because all of america's presidents have been white and because black people are not in the majority to technically be considered popular culture it could be very hard for most black history to get recognized.

so my question is this, should black history get merged with american history because they're pretty much the same, or should black history month still be around because with out it most black history would get overlooked?

I thought about it...and no, I don't see why you had to start your own thread about Black Misery Month. But, But, this America and you have the right to do whatever it is you like.

But, see...that's my p[oint. Black people are celebrating a lil too much. Yeah, remember yo "history", but don't dwell on that shit. Fuck teaching the seeds about how we was slaves and all that crap if we can't get it in they heads that we still are slaves

Yes!, Blacks in America are still slaves. Why?... because we don't own a gawd damn thing. I can't go to my national supermarket and get some pure food to nourish me and my seeds wit. I can't go buy me no "African - American " made car to drive in. I can't go to no industry that is founded on Black independence and do shit...Why?...because they don't exsist. That's why.

We can't accomplish none of the above without our own land and wit whitey's foot all up on our necks. Fuck Black history for awhile...let's focus on Black's present condition.

My beautiful Black sistas be all half naked on videos and walking up and down the street, going to they corporate postions...like some straight up hoes.

My strong Black brothers out there in the street acting STUPID...killing each other, pimpin' my sistas and sitting they black asses in prison.

My precious Black seeds can't get the kind of education they deserve in this twisted ass school system. They being brain washed before they even know what's up...

The list goes on...but, I ain't celebrating Black history till we learn how to remedy Black present.

Peace

SlightlySlightedFan
02-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm gonna go with yes.
People have to know they're history. The alternative is Black History Ignorance. Not much a of a choice is it?

SlightlySlightedFan
02-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Black History Month does not mean that Black History and American History are two different concepts. They aren't. Black History month puts a spotlight on Black History. It's an effort to spread history as it really happened. As far as I know, aside from American History, No white organization has made such a good effort at remembering white history. Theres no Western European History Month, that goes on everywhere. What I'd like to see is Black, White and really all History represented in such a way, and if you could throw in a Black or Multicultured Mount Rushmore with that, that'd be cool too.

SlightlySlightedFan
02-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Nobody can really buy pure food anymore. Ya know unless you've figured out vegetarianism.

Decipha Born
02-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Problem is black history, only one month in BLACK schools.

Black schools should be allowed black history as a curriculum. Then we can teach knowledge of self in all schools.

Unfortunately, when one teaches black history, white history seems guilty.
which is why it is avoided. They are scarred and sensitive. And very boring. These are opinions.

EARTH history is the most important history and nothing should be ignored, we all have the same home.

peace

BlaK FuRYaN
02-08-2006, 12:01 PM
I thought about it...and no, I don't see why you had to start your own thread about Black Misery Month. But, But, this America and you have the right to do whatever it is you like.

But, see...that's my p[oint. Black people are celebrating a lil too much. Yeah, remember yo "history", but don't dwell on that shit. Fuck teaching the seeds about how we was slaves and all that crap if we can't get it in they heads that we still are slaves yep!

Yes!, Blacks in America are still slaves. Why?... because we don't own a gawd damn thing. I can't go to my national supermarket and get some pure food to nourish me and my seeds wit. I can't go buy me no "African - American " made car to drive in. I can't go to no industry that is founded on Black independence and do shit...Why?...because they don't exsist. That's why.

We can't accomplish none of the above without our own land and wit whitey's foot all up on our necks. Fuck Black history for awhile...let's focus on Black's present condition. (definately agree with this)

My beautiful Black sistas be all half naked on videos and walking up and down the street, going to they corporate postions...like some straight up hoes.

My strong Black brothers out there in the street acting STUPID...killing each other, pimpin' my sistas and sitting they black asses in prison.

My precious Black seeds can't get the kind of education they deserve in this twisted ass school system. They being brain washed before they even know what's up...

The list goes on...but, I ain't celebrating Black history till we learn how to remedy Black present. yep!

Peace

I went out to see HAMZA YUSUF yesterday...and a muslim woman asked him a question which was more of a statement...
One thing she said quoted by "STEVE BEKO" WAS; "NOT ONLY ARE WHITE PEOPLE KICKING US IN OUR ASSES, BUT THEY ALSO TELLING US HOW TO REACT TO BEING KICKED IN OUR ASSES, HOW SO TRUE"

And this is like with slavery.
Theyv'e enslaved black people for 400 and counting years and then tell us wev'e got a month to cellebrate it...
Some reflect on being enslaved, some commemorate winning freedom.

But when you check it, Whats gwarning today?

WAR ON OUR VERY FREEDOM

It aint even a racial thing no more, every ones getting it...

Aqueous Moon
02-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Peace Blak Furyan,

I love that quote...that's exactly how I see this situation.

And, I agree with you when you say everyone is gettting it, regardless of race.

We are at war, but only a few recognize it....