PDA

View Full Version : Ghostface Killah - Fishscale

Oztradamus
02-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, he's done it again. Fishscale is yet another amazing but impossible-to-sell Ghostface album. It's the weirdest thing; he talks about how his career isn't popping off like it should, how he has Def Jam behind him now, how he's ready to go out and work himself to the bone promoting this thing, and then he goes and makes an album full of claustrophobically discordant coke-rap that will immediately scare away anyone who doesn't already love him. Only maybe three or four of the songs on Fishscale have actual hooks, and we've already heard two of them, "Back Like That" and "Be Easy." He's enlisted MF Doom for four or five tracks, and he's taken the absolute weirdest stuff Doom had to offer, dizzy and stormy and cluttered things. There's an amazingly strained and urgent Just Blaze banger, just a mind-bendingly great song, but it's not going to get Ghost's crazy ass on 106 & Park anytime soon. His one concession is "Back Like That," which will probably get some rotation just like "Tush" and that Bulletproof Wallets song with Carl Thomas, but it's not going to turn him into a star overnight.

Other than that one song, Fishscale is Ghost's most aggressively weird album since Supreme Clientele. The frenzied lyrical free-association has almost disappeared (though there is this one insane song about being underwater I'll talk about later), but it's musically his most dense and fiery work, and there's a good chance it'll end up being my favorite album of the year. The entire Wu-Tang Clan appears altogether on one song, the apocalyptic banger "Nine Milli Brothers," all of them getting a couple of bars (including a posthumous ODB), and all of them sounding great. An uncharacteristically low-key Raekwon shows up on a few tracks, as does a wildly reanimated Cappadonna ("AKA the cabriver" he says at one point) and a quickly improving Trife. Ghost's son SG, who rapped a bit at Ghost's October BB King's show, gets a verse; he sounds like an average young NY mixtape rapper, which is more than anyone could've expected. And beyond that, there are no guest rappers, just Ghost going hard throughout, lovingly describing crack-selling memories and women standing at bus stops and, like, child abuse (the Jay Dee track "Strap" finds him nostalgic about getting his ass beat).

The album flows beautifully, the one weak track ("Charlie Brown") buried near the end and "Be Easy" and "Back Like That" working perfectly in context. One song, "Big Girl," is a slightly dubious story-track about telling women to get their act together and stop getting high, but it's told with enough humane grace that it doesn't sound condescending, at least not on first listen. The first two tracks, gun-talk memories both, are nearly as strident as "Run." Other, later tracks are simply gorgeous, built from the same dusky soul samples he used through much of The Pretty Toney Album. On first listen, it seems pretty much predestined that Ghost is going to remain a critics' favorite and nothing more; that's fine with me, even if it isn't fine with him.

Keep in mind, though, that I've only heard this album once, and I heard it last night at a listening party. I'd been avoiding these things since I moved to New York; this was my first. The idea always kind of grossed me out: record companies so paranoid about music critics bootlegging their shit (whatever) that they refuse to send out promo copies and instead invite everyone into a studio so they can schmooze around and half-listen to the album while it plays on really expensive speakers. It turned out to be really fun, though, all full of writers (many of whom I know) and Def Jam intern-types, everyone sitting on really uncomfortable metal folding chairs and crowding around tiny white tables, eating free food (slightly stale fried coconut-shrimp and some kind of really spicy Jamaican chicken-wings) and drinking free booze (Bacardi with pineapple juice is nasty; Bacardi with blue Powerade is amazing). You go through metal detectors and through hallways full of posters of Beyonce and Aerosmith and Harry Connick, Jr. and Beyonce again, into a room with red lights and crinkled-up strips of cloth hanging on the walls. The best part was the DVD they showed Ghostface explaining all the songs. Apparently the artists often show up to these things, but Ghost was on the Wu-Tang tour, so he taped this thing instead. It worked out great; he wouldn't have opened up much if he was looking this room full of people in the face, but he did when he was talking into a camera: "Please people, just listen, listen carefully ... I don't want y'all checking y'all cell phones, ordering pizza and shit." He went into a surprising amount of detail about putting songs together: "If there's a wack nigga out of four niggas, usually you'll put that nigga (long pause) third." In one truly stunning moment, he talked about the album's final song, which is about being underwater, seeing mermaids and Spongebob and the necklace from Titanic, everyone eventually going to a mosque and praying. Just hearing this song is a total mindfuck; seeing Ghostface explain it is even more so. So maybe all this stuff made me like the album more than I would've otherwise, but I don't know. It's pretty fucking great.

PROPS: VILLAGE VOICE

Dr Zayus
02-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Short but sweet.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Bung Bung Bung Your Bell Went Rung Rung Rung

That dude did it again.
posted by Sean at 11:21 AM (http://hardlyart.blogspot.com/2006/02/bung-bung-bung-your-bell-went-rung.html)

Source (http://hardlyart.blogspot.com/)

AK Spray
02-18-2006, 03:07 AM
AAAAAHHHH!!! SO ILL!!! I can't fucking Wait...

Konii blaze
02-18-2006, 04:12 AM
About the Ghostface session... maan is that album crazy. The adage of, "He follows the beat of his own drum" was made for Ghostface. He does and says what he wants, when he wants. I think Fishscale is his most complete album to date, with Supreme Clientele right behind. The chemistry he shows with Raekwon is priceless and there's a Just Blaze cut, entitled "The Champ," which is absolutely mind-blowing. BallerStatus.net's interview with Ghostface should be dropping very soon. ..."
http://www.ballerstatus.net/news/read/id/36243544/ (http://www.ballerstatus.net/news/read/id/36243544/)

mackiain
02-18-2006, 04:55 AM
I'm so excited for this album i can hardly wait.

deadlymelody
02-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Ghostface Killah going soft on us? My stinkin ass! Tony Starks re-enlightens any darknes that hung over the once prominent Wu-Tang Clan. Fishscale hits the shelves with power, finesse, and soul.

The Return Of Clyde Smith-I think we are all fans of Clyde Smith. In Supreme Clientele, he gave specific words to 50 Cent, calling him a, "fake faggot ass nigger." Good to start out with Clyde

Shakey Dog-4/5- First thing that struck me about the song was the beat. Is that a good thing? Well, no. Seemed pretty simplistic to me, with horns popping in and out and your usual voice sample. The great part of the song is Ghostface's verses, no arguments needed. You want to hear all the great dynamics of Tony, here's a good track to hear.

Kilo-4/5- Kilo, like Shakey Dog, isn't a track that grabs you and make you go "Hell yeah this is great." You have a catchy chorus going, "All around the world today, a kilo is a measure, whoever got the kilo's got the candy man," and so on. Raekwon brings the calm flow with very Cuban Linx-esque wordplay. You find yourself listening to this again and again.

The Champ-5/5- The Champ introduces Just Blaze to the album, and a little bit of Rocky, too. Any Rocky fan/Ghostface Killah fan will no doubt love this track, as both aspects are implemented here. Dominating horns and rugged drums followed with a pounding baseline equal up to one hell of a beat. This brings out the best in Ghost, as he speeds up the flow. To make a comparison, this is the best Wu solo track of the past couple years, beating out GZA's "General Principles."

Major Operation-Basically an intro to 9 Milli Bros

9 Milli Bros.-5/5- Dirt Mcgirt? Wait...Dirt Mcgirt? It seems to me that when ODB (RIP) is on a track, he likes to start it out with some words. RZA sworns everyone in; recycled from Fast Cars of "Birth of a Prince." Oddly, a track with 9 verses has a hook in it. They all spit quick, precise verses over a old-school piano loop beat, given to you by MF Doom. The first few times you hear this song, you'll have a big smile on your face, guarenteed.

Beaty Jackson-4/5- Add a new track to the list of "Songs that should have been longer," because this is one of them. If you turn this from a minute and a half track to 3 and a half minutes, it is one of the best songs on the album. The smooth, bass heavy beat done by J Dilla (RIP), was masterfully done.

Heart Street Directions-4/5- Is it dumb to rate skits? Not with ones this funny.

Columbus Exchange/ Crack Spot-3.5/5- This track is nothing special, but nonetheless, very good. Beat is fairly simple, with a couple of samples. Good verses by Ghostface once again.

R.A.G.U-5/5- You got the Ironman flavor on this track, with an old 1995 type vibe laid down by Pete Rock. Screeching violins with heavy drums add great amounts of replay value for this. I love the fact Rae and Ghost played off of each other's verses. This is a great track of the best 1,2 punch in the game.

Bad Mouth Kid- Skit. What kind of kid is this?

Whip You With A Strap-5/5- This track is the same formula on some tracks off of The Pretty Toney album, except executed much better. You have a great sample from J Dilla, and verses by Ghost relating closely to the songs' theme. Great job.

Back Like That-3/5-I am not an R&B fan, but I find myself listening to this track. Is it because I can relate to the story? That helps. Also helps that the beat is actually not bad, and it actually has good songwriting in it, unlike your modern day R&B.

Be Easy-4/5-Very, very catchy song. To me, although the beat isn't outstanding, is still well done. Pete Rock loves horns so much that this is all that the beat is. Even better is the catchy hook. Lyrically, Ghost brings a different flow and wordplay. Great track.

Clipse of Doom-2/5- With a title like this, you are expecting a very "Ironman" type beat. Ouch, the beat kind of hurts the ears. One of the few weak tracks on the album.

Jellyfish-5/5-Phew, the bad track is over. And now the great organ beat drops in! Very simple, but greater sounding the louder you play it. Ghostface was singing here and you gotta love the hook done by Trife and verse by Cappadonna. Give it up for Cappadonna because he came back to life on this album.

Dogs of War-5/5-Hey 2 bangers in a row! Solid beat with great verses from every member, including Ghostface's son, Sun God. Tough to skip this track.

Barbershop-4/5-Another track that should have been longer. The intro at the beginning was a great lead in to the verse by Ghostface. Should have been 2x as long. Still solid though.

Ms. Sweetwater-Leads in to Big Girl

Big Girl-5/5-With this song, you have a very busy beat with Ghostface speaking on life's troubles, basically. Love the soulful beat, remind me of Holla off the Pretty Toney album (also a fantastic track.) This song fits in none at all to tracks like Clips of Doom, Jellygish, or Dogs of War, so it may feel a bit out of place.

Underwater-5/5-Fantastic! A wonderful beat by MF Doom. This song screams creativity, unlike any other song you've heard. Ghostface is underwater and describes, in detail only Pretty Toney can use, what is going on above him. Excellent track.

The Ironman Takeover-Skit

Momma-2.5/5- Boring track to me. Beat isn't very nice at all. A shame, because Ghostface had good stories here as well.

Three Bricks-2/5- Very poor beat, with a West Coast feel to it. This type of beat does not belong, especially with 3 East Coast Rappers. BIG doesn't impress me as he never really has made my jaw drop. Ghost and Rae I can't really speak about because i've only listened to the song once. A poor way to end the album.

To conclude, I'll say that this is the 3rd best effort from Dennis Coles. The production is tickling at times and disappointing in about 3 tracks. To me, without Three Bricks, Clips of Doom, and Momma, I am labeling this thing damn near classic. With these 3 tracks I bring the rating down. Any Wu fan will enjoy or love this CD. Go buy it now!

8.5/10

GENERAL WISE
02-21-2006, 09:05 PM
This reviewer makes it sound like this is a combination between Supreme Clientele and Pretty Toney. This will be a dope album...i am expecting it in the 8 worst and 9 / 10's.

Ironman Starks
02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
About the Ghostface session... maan is that album crazy. The adage of, "He follows the beat of his own drum" was made for Ghostface. He does and says what he wants, when he wants. I think Fishscale is his most complete album to date, with Supreme Clientele right behind. The chemistry he shows with Raekwon is priceless and there's a Just Blaze cut, entitled "The Champ," which is absolutely mind-blowing. BallerStatus.net's interview with Ghostface should be dropping very soon. ..."
http://www.ballerstatus.net/news/read/id/36243544/ (http://www.ballerstatus.net/news/read/id/36243544/)

IRONMAN is his most complete album to date.....do your research

but i feel good about what your sayin but i still kinda miss drunk off ballantine ghost but SC ghost is just fine to me

IRONFLAGCHIEF36
02-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I heard a few tracks. I don' like Charlie Brown, and Back like that seems too comercial. Plus I hate that neyo fagg. I like Be Easy, and Kilos is a sick song. I can't get the hook outa my head!

Dr Zayus
02-25-2006, 08:24 AM
DAMN, DAMN, DAMN

(full review coming soon)

Protection
02-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Review coming soon...

4-Bar Killer
02-25-2006, 12:26 PM
This reviewer makes it sound like this is a combination between Supreme Clientele and Pretty Toney. This will be a dope album...i am expecting it in the 8 worst and 9 / 10's.

co-sign, this seems to become one of the best ghost albums

num2son
02-25-2006, 01:30 PM
This is the bootleg review

I dont feel like giving a full review with paragraphs and words

Shakey Dot 8/10
Kilo 8/10
Be Easy 9/10
9 milli Bros 10/10
Beauty Jackson 6/10
Jelly Fish 8.5/10
Crack Spot 9/10
R.A.G.U. 9.5/10
Strap 8/10
Back Like That 6/10
The Champ 10/10
Dogs of War 6.5/10
Can Can 7/10
Barber Shop 7.5/10

GENERAL WISE
02-27-2006, 10:52 PM
9 milli Bros 10/10

i don now about 9 milli bros i hated the beat and Ghost is just fucking with us with the Hook:confused::D;):(

and RAGU deserves a 10/10

num2son
02-28-2006, 02:33 PM
i don now about 9 milli bros i hated the beat and Ghost is just fucking with us with the Hook:confused::D;):(

LOL, U can hear ghost call it a bullshit hook.

Psydeffect
03-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Believe It Or Not, Fishscale Is A Classic Album, I Have Listened To It Four Times And 80 Percent Of It Is Straight Bangers. There Are A Couple Of Love Tracks. But Like I Siad 80 Percent Is Dope.
I Hated Pretty Toney There Were Maybe Four Good Tracks. This Cd Proves Ghost Can Make A Comeback.

Like Every Wu-tang Album.... You Have To Listen To It Several Times....some Good Weed Wouldn't Hurt Either..

From A True Wu Fan.

This Is Not Quite As Dope As Supreme Clientele Or Ironman... But Fishscale Kills Bulletproof Wallets , Pretty Toney And Any Other Theodore Unit/ Trife Da God Bullshit.

Peace.

TSA
03-03-2006, 09:24 AM
^^ faggot

You just called something a classic album before it has came out. Just think about it. then kill yourself. Faggot.

Longbongcilvaringz
03-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Believe It Or Not, Fishscale Is A Classic Album, I Have Listened To It Four Times And 80 Percent Of It Is Straight Bangers. There Are A Couple Of Love Tracks. But Like I Siad 80 Percent Is Dope.
I Hated Pretty Toney There Were Maybe Four Good Tracks. This Cd Proves Ghost Can Make A Comeback.

Like Every Wu-tang Album.... You Have To Listen To It Several Times....some Good Weed Wouldn't Hurt Either..

From A True Wu Fan.

This Is Not Quite As Dope As Supreme Clientele Or Ironman... But Fishscale Kills Bulletproof Wallets , Pretty Toney And Any Other Theodore Unit/ Trife Da God Bullshit.

Peace.

what is this bullshit, wait till the fucking album comes out herb.

morgan
03-03-2006, 10:53 AM
^^ faggot

You just called something a classic album before it has came out. Just think about it. then kill yourself. Faggot.

haha agreed

ShaolinDarts
03-03-2006, 03:18 PM

From A True Wu Fan.

The highlighted bits really made me laugh. Thanks

urban_angel
03-04-2006, 07:22 AM
I managed to peep the advance of this, and it has impressed me, I wasn't really sure what to expect from Ghost after hearing 'Back Like That' but damn.........I LOVE THIS!!!!!! Can't wait till it drops!!!! WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

the surgeon
03-04-2006, 02:26 PM
I managed to peep the advance of this, and it has impressed me, I wasn't really sure what to expect from Ghost after hearing 'Back Like That' but damn.........I LOVE THIS!!!!!! Can't wait till it drops!!!! WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

4 real speaking the truth

urban_angel
03-04-2006, 09:04 PM
damn boi, where u been?!

Marc051
03-09-2006, 01:20 AM
songs I heard so far...

Whip you with a Strap - 6.5/10...the beat is too slow
Champ - 8.5/10...great
Be Easy - 5.5/10...too commericial
Big Girl - 6/10...sounds commercial, don't like the beat
RAGU - 10/10...WOW impressed
9 mili bros...9/10 good posse cut

smokebongoncliff
03-09-2006, 01:28 AM
is ragu the one wehre rae starts it off... tellin people to close the blinds and shit?? watchin larry king live.... ?

Marc051
03-09-2006, 01:30 AM
yeah so far i think it's the best track on the album, Ghost raps tight on every track though but some of the beats are that slow r&b bullshit.

GENERAL WISE
03-09-2006, 01:57 AM
RAGU is some classic shit.

sakk
03-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Can someone tell me where i can listen to some fishscale songs other than, Back like that, and be easy

GENERAL WISE
03-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Can someone tell me where i can listen to some fishscale songs other than, Back like that, and be easy

March 28, 2006 will probably have it :)

tical2000
03-13-2006, 02:00 PM
FISHSCALE is the best WU TANG cd since SUPREME CLIENTELE.......fuckin stoked for this

Igotcha
03-13-2006, 02:07 PM
songs I heard so far...

Whip you with a Strap - 6.5/10...the beat is too slow
Champ - 8.5/10...great
Be Easy - 5.5/10...too commericial
Big Girl - 6/10...sounds commercial, don't like the beat
RAGU - 10/10...WOW impressed
9 mili bros...9/10 good posse cut
The beat is too slow, classic wu shit, tha fuck you talking about

100pr00f
03-15-2006, 10:49 AM
RESERVED SPOT

my review is going to be on the 1st page

haha
this is funny
he reseved his spot

tical2000
03-16-2006, 03:31 AM
from the advance it sounds like the best WU TANG cd since SUPREME CLIENTELE

Igotcha
03-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I always support Ghost, Gza and Rza without second guessing. I couldn't help myself and I downloaded the retail.

They better give my nigga Ghost his long awaited 5 mics for this album. If lil kim got 5 and they don't give ghost his, niggas should boycott the source.

Calculus
03-16-2006, 02:23 PM
this album really suprised me, i thought it was gonna be some gay shit....wrong... overall, id have to give it a pretty close to classic rating in comparison to all wu shit... lots of great songs, real hip hop shit, a couple gay songs (i.e. back like that) but for the most part, some real wu shit that i thought i would never hear again. buy this album. all of you.

inditing dane
03-16-2006, 02:40 PM
OKay i couldn't resist downloading it, and i wasn't disappointed, but on the other hand i wasn't blown away...
The biggest letdown of the album is the beats and the fact that they've cut some amazing verses and tracks for unknown reasons + i gotta admit the track with Biggie is so out of place, i mean the the track is decent, but not for this album...

1. The Return Of Clyde Smith (Skit)
a nice intro, but not what i was hoping when i saw Clyde was back
2. Shakey Dog
I love this shit, superb story telling and the beat is great...
9.5/10
3. Kilo ft. Raekwon
I hate this beat, so fucking boring, but the lyrics are nice, and good to see them back togehter
6/10
4. The Champ
lol there's been 3 versions of this, but i gotta admit this is the best!!! superb cut, Blaze and Ghost at their best! One thing bothers me though; why did they cut off the original 2 verse? that shit was flames!
10/10
5. Major Operation (Skit)
6. 9 Milli Bros. ft. Wu-Tang Clan
damn with this mixed and all+the added drums and the whole Clan involved it's fire! damn...great to see them all back!
10/10
7. Beauty Jackson
pretty nice...but WAAAAY to short! lovely beat and nice lyrics, but it's shortness is fucking annoying!
7/10
8. Heart Street Directions (Skit)
LOOOOOOL
9. Columbus Exchange (Skit) / Crack Spot
Damn this is crack! love it, just doesn't understand why it says there a skit first it's just a voice sample...
9/10
10. R.A.G.U. ft. Raekwon
Best track on the album! everything about it is sick
10/10
11. Bad Mouth Kid (Skit)
LOOOOOOOOL
12. Whip You With A Strap
i like this shit, nice beat, lovely lyrics
8/10
13. Back Like That ft. Ne-Yo
i'll never get into it
1/10
14. Be Easy featuring Trife
lovely old school feel to it, but it's a but boring and knowing Pete Rock produced it, you cant help feeling like he could have done MUCH better, also Ghost isn't as sharp as usual
7/10
15. Clipse Of Doom featuring Trife
Pretty nice beat, not really feeling the guitar that much...but great lyrics!
7/10
16. Jellyfish ft. Theodore Unit (Capadonna, Shawn Wigs & Trife)
Nope not my shit...it's Bulletproof Wallets all over again, but it's ok.
4/10
17. Dogs Of War ft.Raekwon & Theodore Unit
Damn Pete Rock why did you add that fucking guitar????? i fucking hate it! it almost ruins the track for me, cous the rest of the beat and lyrics is sick...:-(
6/10
18. Barbershop
One of my favorite tracks from the advance, but now it has been reduced to a skit :_( WHYYYYYYY!!!!!! Why the fuck did he take off the second verse????? I really would like to know that! but the beat is absolutely sickness+ the remaining lyrics is heat...
damn what was he thinking of?
9/10
19. Ms. Sweetwater (Skit)
20. Big Girl
Nice soulful track...typical Ghost, could have been on Pretty Tony
7.5/10
21. Underwater
Damn VERY creative...i love this shit! only Ghost could do this
9/10
22. The Ironman Takeover (Skit)
23. Momma ft. Megan Rochell
Ahh was expecting this to be much worse, it's decent...
5/10
24. Three Bricks ft. The Notorious B.I.G. & Raekwon (Bonus Track)
damn why was this added??? I fucking hate people reusing Pac and Big verses...with that being said the track is decent, but just not on this album.
5/10

I feel very weird about this album, there's some great tracks and all, but overall im just not blown away by it. It's just another good album from Ghost on level with Pretty Tony...i actually wish i've never heard the advance, cous it makes you feel like there's something missing, and there is!
I'll never understand why he decided to ruin Barbershop by deleting he second verse from it? why he decided to cut the best verse from The Champ? why there's no room for tracks like Charlie Brown and Murder Goons? He could have cut 3 Bricks and one of the other below par tracks.
Also im pretty disappointed by Pete Rock, he didn't bring the heat on any of his two tracks.
But with this being said, it is a solid album, a good album actually! But just knowing that it could have been much better makes me feel weird about it...don't know yet really, but as of now i'll give it 4 out of 6.
Peace

Ghost In The 'Lac
03-16-2006, 03:28 PM
^ i agree with some of what you said. But i think youre over-looking Jellyfish. Thats one of the best songs on there. And id give clipse of Doom a 8. Buts its on a much higher level than pretty toney!

num2son
03-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks for your review I. Dane.

deadlymelody
03-16-2006, 05:59 PM
haha
this is funny
he reseved his spot

Hey I write up good reviews so....

Wzarecta
03-17-2006, 04:18 AM
Already got it pre ordered, may end up getting a few copies.

01. The Return Of Clyde Smith (Skit)
02. Shakey Dog
Really nice storytelling track 4/5
03. Kilo (Feat. Raekwon)
It sounds a bit better but I still skip it 2/5
04. The Champ 4:09
All round brilliance 5/5
05. Major Operation (Skit) 0:06
06. 9 Milli Bros. (Feat. Wu-Tang Clan)
4/5
07. Beauty Jackson
Too short but still great 4.5/5
08. Heart Street Directions (Skit)
09. Columbus Exchange (Skit)/Crack Spot
Longer and much better than before 4/5
10. R.A.G.U. (Feat. Raekwon) 8O
Real CLASSIC Rae/Ghost, need to know who produced it 5/5
11. Bad Mouth Kid (Skit)
12. Whip You With A Strap
Brilliant 5/5
13. Back Like That (Feat. Ne-Yo)
3.5/5
14. Be Easy (Feat. Trife)
3/5
15. Clipse Of Doom (Feat. Trife)
3.5/5
16. Jellyfish (Feat. Cappadonna, Shawn Wigs & Trife)
4/5
17. Dogs Of War (Feat. Raekwon, Trife, Cappadonna & Sun God)
3.5/5
18. Barbershop :'(
Really disappointed about this 3.5/5
20. Big Girl
4/5
21. Underwater 8O
5/5
23. Momma (Feat. Megan Rochell)
Actually really like this, nice addition 4/5
24. Three Bricks (Feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Raekwon)
(Bonus Track)
First time hearing this, better than I expected 4/5

Ghost In The 'Lac
03-17-2006, 06:18 AM
^ Yea WHO did produce RAGU?? Its sounds right off OBFCL.

02. Shakey Dog 5/5

03. Kilo (Feat. Raekwon) 2.5/5

04. The Champ 4:09 4.5/5

05. Major Operation (Skit)

06. 9 Milli Bros. (Feat. Wu-Tang Clan) 4/5

07. Beauty Jackson 5/5

09. Columbus Exchange (Skit)/Crack Spot 4/5

10. R.A.G.U. (Feat. Raekwon) 5/5

11. Bad Mouth Kid (Skit)

12. Whip You With A Strap 5/5

13. Back Like That (Feat. Ne-Yo) 3/5

14. Be Easy (Feat. Trife) 3.5/5

15. Clipse Of Doom (Feat. Trife) 5/5

16. Jellyfish (Feat. Cappadonna, Shawn Wigs & Trife) 4.5/5 REAL OLD SCHOOL VIBE! HOTNESS

17. Dogs Of War (Feat. Raekwon, Trife, Cappadonna & Sun God) 2.5/5

18. Barbershop 2.5/5 (shame about the cut, wouldda been a 4)

20. Big Girl 4/5

21. Underwater 5/5

23. Momma (Feat. Megan Rochell) 2.5/5

24. Three Bricks (Feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Raekwon) 2/5
(Bonus Track)

num2son
03-17-2006, 10:41 AM
1. THe Return Of Clyde Smith (Skit) (sounds like ghost)
2. Shakey Dog (4.5/5)
3. Kilos (f. Raekwon) (3.5/5)
4. The Champ (3/5) I like the original way better
5. Major Operation (SKit)
6. 9 Milli Bros. (WU-TANG) (5/5)
7. Beauty Jackson (3.5/5)
8. Heart Street Directions (Skit) LOL
9. Columbus Exchange (Skit)/Crack Spot (4/5)
10. R.A.G.U. (f. Raekwon) (5/5) (there is more added to the song)
11. Bad Mouth Kid (Skit) (LOL Foul mouth kid)
12. Whip You With A Strap (4/5)
13. Back Like That (f. Ne-Yo) (3/5)
14. Be Easy (f. Trife) (4.5/5)
15. Clips Of Doom (f. Trife) (3.5/5)
16. Jellyfish (f. Cappadonna, Shawn Wigs & Trife) (4/5)
17. Dogs Of War (f. Raekwon, Trife, Cappadonna & Sun God) (3/5) (The beat bothers me)
18. Barbershop (4/5)
19. Ms. Sweetwater (skit)
20. Big Girl (4/5) (This song is similar to the song "In the rain") ( I would have gave this song less than 4 if it wasnt for the song in the background.)
21. Underwater (3.5/5) (Dope lyrics, but dont like the beat)
23. Momma (f. Megan Rochell) (2/5)
24. Three Bricks (f. Biggie Smalls & Raekwon) (3.5/5) :nonono:

Nice album not better than SC.

Favorites tracks:
Shakey Dog
9 Milli Bros.
Crack Spot
R.A.G.U.

binary
03-17-2006, 10:45 AM
1. THe Return Of Clyde Smith (Skit) (sounds like ghost)
2. Shakey Dog (4.5/5)
3. Kilos (f. Raekwon) (4/5)
4. The Champ (3/5) I like the original way better
6. 9 Milli Bros. (WU-TANG) (5/5)
7. Beauty Jackson (3.5/5)
8. Heart Street Directions (Skit) LOL
9. Columbus Exchange (Skit)/Crack Spot (4.5/5)
10. R.A.G.U. (f. Raekwon) (5/5) (there is more added to the song)
11. Bad Mouth Kid (Skit) (LOL Foul mouth kid)
12. Whip You With A Strap (4/5)
13. Back Like That (f. Ne-Yo) (3/5)
14. Be Easy (f. Trife) (4.5/5)
15. Clips Of Doom (f. Trife) (3.5/5)
16. Jellyfish (f. Cappadonna, Shawn Wigs & Trife) (4/5)
17. Dogs Of War (f. Raekwon, Trife, Cappadonna & Sun God) (3/5) (The beat bothers me)
18. Barbershop (4/5)
20. Big Girl (4/5) (This song is similar to the song "In the rain")
21. Underwater (3.5/5) (Dope lyrics, but dont like the beat)
23. Momma (f. Megan Rochell) (2/5)
24. Three Bricks (f. Biggie Smalls & Raekwon) (3.5/5) :nonono:

Nice album not better than SC.

Favorites tracks:
Shakey Dog
9 Milli Bros.
Crack Spot
R.A.G.U.

You got some weird ratings dude.

pussy-with-teeth
03-17-2006, 11:10 AM
the champ rocks

GODegree
03-18-2006, 04:39 PM

02. Shakey Dog 5/5

03. Kilo (Feat. Raekwon) 4.5/5 - Grew on me.

04. The Champ 4:09 5/5 - 3rd Version a charm

06. 9 Milli Bros. (Feat. Wu-Tang Clan) 2/5

07. Beauty Jackson 5/5

09. Columbus Exchange (Skit)/Crack Spot 5/5

10. R.A.G.U. (Feat. Raekwon) 5/5

11. Bad Mouth Kid (Skit)

12. Whip You With A Strap 5/5

13. Back Like That (Feat. Ne-Yo) 3.5/5

15. Clipse Of Doom (Feat. Trife) 5/5

16. Jellyfish (Feat. Cappadonna, Shawn Wigs & Trife) 4.5/5

17. Dogs Of War (Feat. Raekwon, Trife, Cappadonna & Sun God) 4.5/5

18. Barbershop 5/5

20. Big Girl 4/5

21. Underwater 5/5

23. Momma (Feat. Megan Rochell) 5/5

24. Three Bricks (Feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Raekwon) 2.5/5
(Bonus Track)

dat MF
03-18-2006, 05:20 PM
13. Back Like That (Feat. Ne-Yo) 3.5/5

(Bonus Track)Be Easy is waaay better than Back Like That.

Orhan Gencebay
03-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Be Easy is not what i hoped Ghost would get from Pete Rock!!!!

Fuck
03-18-2006, 05:35 PM
me either

cd
03-19-2006, 08:00 PM
OK.......let's really be honest about this album for a change.......

1. THe Return Of Clyde Smith (Skit)
2. Shakey Dog - This beat is just Pit Bull fights slowed down + tweaked
3. Kilos (f. Raekwon) - Good song w/rae and ghost doing what they do
4. The Champ- It's ok, not as good as people are saying. Great rocky sample though
6. 9 Milli Bros. (WU-TANG) -For "the great group joint" it falls short. Meth, deck and ugod come thru. Least favorite is Ghost(not counting odb..lol)
7. Beauty Jackson - Nice little joint, really short though
8. Heart Street Directions (Skit)
9. Columbus Exchange (Skit)/Crack Spot - Once again nice, but short
10. R.A.G.U. (f. Raekwon) - Probably the best flowing joint on here
11. Bad Mouth Kid (Skit) -Actually pretty funny
12. Whip You With A Strap -good storytelling, what gost does well
13. Back Like That (f. Ne-Yo) -People hate bc it's "commercial"but a good song, ghost is good at stuff like this
14. Be Easy (f. Trife) - A fun Hip Hop song
15. Clips Of Doom (f. Trife)- I cant even listen the beat is so old and overused
16. Jellyfish (f. Cappadonna, Shawn Wigs & Trife)- not good at all
17. Dogs Of War (f. Raekwon, Trife, Cappadonna & Sun God) - Nice joint one of my favorites
18. Barbershop -little skit followed by less than 50 second rhyme
20. Big Girl - The best thing about this and the joints on Pretty Tony, if someone not Wu just rhymed over old songs everyone would be hating on it.....lol
21. Underwater -good creative joint
23. Momma (f. Megan Rochell)- Touching song I think ghost did really well
24. Three Bricks (f. Biggie Smalls & Raekwon)- I really like it. It's also complete bullshit though, joining all the fakers rhyming with a Biggie verse. They HATED Biggie and diss him on OB4CL

Overall, honestly....this is a GOOD album. I would say it's very similar to Pretty Toney and a step better. Nice to see Rae and the Clan here. BUt some just sound uninspired, at times Ghost's flow is not as good as it should be and there are no joints that get you really excited to listen to.

Ghost' smain problem is he always uses old recycled beats and at times it really hurts the songs. Also why the Ironman Takeover, Ms Sweetwater, amd Major operation are listed as seperate tracks and "skits" I dont know. They are intros that last only seconds

So yea it's a nice album but no where near a "classic"....lol......that word gets thrown around like a cheap whore nowadays. It's not the best album since SC either.

Crazy K
03-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Some beats on the song like Jellyfish and Clispe of Doom I just can't stand. the rest I liked, 9 mili borthers...eh. I'm loving that Three Bricks shit though

MauiLife
03-22-2006, 12:15 AM
I am listening to this album as I write this review, song by song.

1 - intro skit: Clyde Smith opening 7/10

2 - Shakey dog - Nice beat, great lyrics. Ghost says "to be continued" at the end. 8.5/10

3 - Kilo - Sorry not feeling this. Not bad but not classic material. 6.5/10

4 - The Champ - hmmm....interesting beat. Electric guitars and a nice breakbeat. Sounds like Mr. T in the intro. Alot of classic lines in this song "Im like james bond in the octogan". Lyrically VERY impressive. 8/10

5- Major operation skit - short skit, nothing much 7/10

6 - 9 milli bros - I liked this beat on Moster Island Czars LP, but it is still nice here too. Wished I never heard it before cause I knocked that cut alot, kinda ruined it for me on this album. 8/10

7 - Beauty Jackson - This is a very nice short song. Nice beat, nice lyrics. 8/10

8 - Heart Street "......take clit Boulevard...it kinda wet down there...." LMFAO funny shit 9/10

9 - Colombus skit/Crack Spot - Nice beat, lyrics are good. Not really feeling this that much though, I don't know why. 7/10

10 - R.A.G.U. - Ok, Ok here we go. Heard this before but its better audio this time around. I like this. Raekwon and Ghost flip verses. Beat sounds like classic Cuban linx/ironman feel to it. 8.5/10

11 - Bad mouth skit - A kid swearing. kinda funny. 7/10

12 - Whip u with a strap - I was waiting for something like this. Took 12 songs. CLASSIC WU TANG SHIT HERE. This is a rewinder. 10/10

13 - Back like that - zzzzzzzzzzz. Sorry not feelin this. Damn Tony WTF?! 5/10

14 - Be Easy - Snore. Im a big ghost fan and this is unacceptable. 5/10

15 - Clipse of Doom - I love MF but this beat is hard to listen to more than once. Ouch, my ears. 5/10

16 - Jellyfish - Haha I like this. A simple two chord organ loop. This is what ghostface needs to be putting out. Wow, lyrics on this are way above normal. Cappa on this too, he drops some nice lyrics. 8.5/10

17 - Dogs of War - Hmmm. I kinda like the beat but not something I would bump in my car with the windows down. Lyrics are nice as usual. Raekwon drops a nice verse. Just not Crazy ill shit. 7.5/10

18 - Babershop - Starts off with sound of clippers cutting hair in a barbershop and ghostface talking. Then a Quick 1:30 song short but really nice. 9/10

19 - Ms. Sweetwater - Quick Skit

20 - Big Girl - Very nice. This is what I was thinking this whole album would be like. That late 60's early 70's psycadelic hip hop shit. Oh well. 8/10

21 - Underwater - Was hearing the hype about this song and I was once again disappointed. Its not horrible but not phenomenal. Breezy beat with egyptian flutes and sounds like xylophones in the backround. Lyrics are great. 9/10

22 - The ironman skit - 5 second skit. 6/10

23 - Momma - Beat is nice but no ghostface on it. Instead its Megan Rochelle singing. zzzzzzzzzz. 6/10

24 - Three Bricks - Biggie recycled verse with Rae and ghost. Heard it before. Nothing spectacular. 7/10

Well, I give the album a 8/10. Not a Ghost classic in the slightes, or even a Ghost best. Overall I am kind of dissapointed. I am a HUGE wutang fan and I am now looking forward to Linx 2 after this trainwreck. I know it has been said alot but he needs to go back to fam for his beats. I like the MF Doom production angle but you can tell the album is not cohesive due to lack of production flow. It sounds like 19 seperate songs instead of one album. I know I will get ridiculed for the bad review but I cannot honestly give it a good review if the songs are not good.

Top songs:
Shakey Sog
The Champ
Whip u with a strap
JellyFish
Big Girl
UnderWater
RAGU

Everything else is....Meh.

Just telling it how it is

-P

GENERAL WISE
03-22-2006, 12:59 AM

2 - Shakey dog - Nice beat, great lyrics. Ghost says "to be continued" at the end. 8.5/10

4 - The Champ - hmmm....interesting beat. Electric guitars and a nice breakbeat. Sounds like Mr. T in the intro. Alot of classic lines in this song "Im like james bond in the octogan". Lyrically VERY impressive. 8/10

6 - 9 milli bros - I liked this beat on Moster Island Czars LP, but it is still nice here too. Wished I never heard it before cause I knocked that cut alot, kinda ruined it for me on this album. 8/10

7 - Beauty Jackson - This is a very nice short song. Nice beat, nice lyrics. 8/10

8 - Heart Street "......take clit Boulevard...it kinda wet down there...." LMFAO funny shit 9/10

9 - Colombus skit/Crack Spot - Nice beat, lyrics are good. Not really feeling this that much though, I don't know why. 7/10

10 - R.A.G.U. - Ok, Ok here we go. Heard this before but its better audio this time around. I like this. Raekwon and Ghost flip verses. Beat sounds like classic Cuban linx/ironman feel to it. 8.5/10

12 - Whip u with a strap - I was waiting for something like this. Took 12 songs. CLASSIC WU TANG SHIT HERE. This is a rewinder. 10/10

15 - Clipse of Doom - I love MF but this beat is hard to listen to more than once. Ouch, my ears. 5/10

16 - Jellyfish - Haha I like this. A simple two chord organ loop. This is what ghostface needs to be putting out. Wow, lyrics on this are way above normal. Cappa on this too, he drops some nice lyrics. 8.5/10

17 - Dogs of War - Hmmm. I kinda like the beat but not something I would bump in my car with the windows down. Lyrics are nice as usual. Raekwon drops a nice verse. Just not Crazy ill shit. 7.5/10

18 - Babershop - Starts off with sound of clippers cutting hair in a barbershop and ghostface talking. Then a Quick 1:30 song short but really nice. 9/10

20 - Big Girl - Very nice. This is what I was thinking this whole album would be like. That late 60's early 70's psycadelic hip hop shit. Oh well. 8/10

21 - Underwater - Was hearing the hype about this song and I was once again disappointed. Its not horrible but not phenomenal. Breezy beat with egyptian flutes and sounds like xylophones in the backround. Lyrics are great. 9/10

23 - Momma - Beat is nice but no ghostface on it. Instead its Megan Rochelle singing. zzzzzzzzzz. 6/10

24 - Three Bricks - Biggie recycled verse with Rae and ghost. Heard it before. Nothing spectacular. 7/10

Well, I give the album a 8/10. Not a Ghost classic in the slightes, or even a Ghost best. Overall I am kind of dissapointed. I am a HUGE wutang fan and I am now looking forward to Linx 2 after this trainwreck. I know it has been said alot but he needs to go back to fam for his beats. I like the MF Doom production angle but you can tell the album is not cohesive due to lack of production flow. It sounds like 19 seperate songs instead of one album. I know I will get ridiculed for the bad review but I cannot honestly give it a good review if the songs are not good.

Top songs:
Shakey Sog
The Champ
Whip u with a strap
JellyFish
Big Girl
UnderWater
RAGU

-P

Your review is on point but listen to it a bit longer
+
if you rate RAGU 8.5, tahts just fucking blasphemy. I mean you gave Shaky dog that.

tical2000
03-22-2006, 01:08 AM

Top songs:
Shakey Sog
The Champ
Whip u with a strap
JellyFish
Big Girl
UnderWater
RAGU

-P

are you smokin SHERM?

FISHSCALE is the best WU TANG album since SUPREME CLIENTLE....

by far the best hip hop album to drop in 2006.....dont know how you are not feeling BE EASY or KILOS or CLIPSE OF DOOM.....

in my opinion GHOST really stepped up on this album

Deity Allah
03-22-2006, 04:34 AM
He's not feeling Kilos, Clipse of Doom and Be Easy the same way i'm not feeling them. Those Joints are wack! The Album is heat though.

Polocash7
03-22-2006, 07:32 AM
I'm probably the only one on this board who hasn;t heard the whole LP. Trying to wait 'til Tues but ya'll are make this hard lol

num2son
03-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Solid album none the less.

Oztradamus
03-22-2006, 03:10 PM
I'll keep it simple..

You have no soul, if you're not feeling this album..

Dr Zayus
03-23-2006, 06:47 AM
This album is really confusing. On the one hand, it has everything you expect in a Ghostface album - seemingly random concepts (Underwater), blazing beats, great verses and storytelling tracks (Shakey Dog, RAGU) and (seemingly) randomly thrown in R&B (Back Like That, Momma).. on the other hand, this is easily Ghost's most confused effort.. all of his other albums had central concepts. Ironman was like a look into the soul of the 'bully' from Cuban Linx, Supreme Clientele was hip-hop for the sake of hip-hop style.. BPW was 'happy' in the sense that it was meant to be a follow-up to OB4CL, or a side-story. Pretty Toney was basically all about love. But Fishscale jumps around with seemingly no coherence whatsoever. You recall beat styles from all his other albums (except Ironman) and he has all three of his families repping on the album. The best tracks to me right now are Shakey Dog, Kilos, 9 Milli Bros (would've liked a RZA verse or real intro though), RAGU, Back Like That (don't hate) and Dogs Of War, but I don't skip any of the songs. This album just confuses me, that's all. 4/5 right now, might go up with time. As a matter of comparison, PT is 4/5 after 2 years, BPW is 3.5/5, SC is 4.5/5 and Ironman is 5/5.

THE W
03-23-2006, 08:22 AM
^^thats understandable since his goal was to combine the sound of all his albums into one.

JackTrippa718JR
03-23-2006, 09:28 AM
I haven't heard it but to be honest with everyone i haven't been this excited about a wu album since wutang forever. I was never really into ghost when wu first dropped but as the years go on I'm feeling him more and more. He's def constant and is keeping the wu name alive. I'm just going to take the album for what it is. I'm not comparing to anything from just wu , but compared to 90% of the bullshit that drops these days in hiphop I'm sure this is going to be a dope album.

Dr Zayus
03-23-2006, 09:15 PM
^^thats understandable since his goal was to combine the sound of all his albums into one.

Yeah, but do you think that was a great idea on his part?

Soul Controller
03-24-2006, 08:44 AM
fish scale has some class tracks. but over all.. its.. maybe 3/5
as in
ironman 1
s.c 2
fishscale 3
bulletproof 4
pretty toney 5

so 3/5!!!!

a few of the tracks are amazing.. too many tracks that are designed for cross over appeal,

ras kass's revenge of the spit.. mixtape
kills this album :(

SupaSlick
03-24-2006, 09:20 AM
the 3 bricks track is dope and also the momma ft megan rochell track is dope too

bergs
03-24-2006, 11:20 AM
He's not feeling Kilos, Clipse of Doom and Be Easy the same way i'm not feeling them. Those Joints are wack! The Album is heat though.

Kilos and Clipse of Doom are FAR from wack... I really can't understand how many of you don't like Kilos... That track is so gutter..

Megaman
03-24-2006, 03:27 PM
I love Be Easy... the lyrics are kinda wack but the beat is DOPE as fuck!
Kilos is decent... alright beat and dope lyrics.. i never skip it. This is album is a 9/10 to me. If they removed that 3 bricks track then it would have been 9.5.
I like all the tracks... even Back Like That and Momma.

UNCUTRAW
03-25-2006, 02:20 AM
Yo First Of All U Don't Know Hiphop, And I Don't Know How U Even Became A Critic. Lets Go Through Fishscale. The Purest Hiphop Album To Date. Name One Hiphop Artist That Has A Album That Can Top This. Tracks Like Shakey Dog And Columbus Exchange, The Champ, Kilo, Ragu, Jelly Fish Are All Bangers. Even Humourous Joints Like Barbershop Is Something That Any Man Can Relate To. Yeah Ghost Doesn't Get The Sales He Deserve But I Find It Hard To Understand How Ironman And Supreme Clientele Go Gold And Bullet Proof Wallets And The Pretty Toney Album Didn't Even Come Close. True Ghost Fans Where U At ? Wheres The Love? The Album Is Great One One Of The Best Albums Ever In My Eyes. Respect Music Respect The Legend Ghostface Killah. Peace

UNCUTRAW
03-25-2006, 02:25 AM
U Crazy That's Hiphop At It's Best Kilo Is Tough. Ghostface Is The Best Thing Since Peanut Butter And Jelly And I Know U Can Relate So Don't Front. U Frontin On Hiphop Pure Music Not That Weak Commercial Crap Like Downsouth Music. Ghost Is Newyork King. No Disrespect To D-block And Dipset But Ghost Is The King.

ShaolinDarts
03-25-2006, 05:48 AM
Yo First Of All U Don't Know Hiphop, And I Don't Know How U Even Became A Critic. Lets Go Through Fishscale. The Purest Hiphop Album To Date. Name One Hiphop Artist That Has A Album That Can Top This. Tracks Like Shakey Dog And Columbus Exchange, The Champ, Kilo, Ragu, Jelly Fish Are All Bangers. Even Humourous Joints Like Barbershop Is Something That Any Man Can Relate To. Yeah Ghost Doesn't Get The Sales He Deserve But I Find It Hard To Understand How Ironman And Supreme Clientele Go Gold And Bullet Proof Wallets And The Pretty Toney Album Didn't Even Come Close. True Ghost Fans Where U At ? Wheres The Love? The Album Is Great One One Of The Best Albums Ever In My Eyes. Respect Music Respect The Legend Ghostface Killah. Peace

Is there really any need to tell people that don't have the same opinion as you that they don't know hip hop? Sorry but thats straight up bullshit.

Ghost Deini
03-26-2006, 07:54 AM
01. The Return Of Clyde Smith (Skit) - lol nice lil intro that nigga Clyde be back

02. Shakey Dog 5/5 - Nice lil beat, dope storytelling from Ghost

03. Kilo (Feat. Raekwon) 4.5/5 - Sick beat, nice to hear Ghost and Rae together again

04. The Champ 4:09 5/5 - In contention for my favorite track on the album. ill lines from Ghost and the beat is CRAZY.

05. Major Operation (Skit) - One sentence long...lol nothin special.

06. 9 Milli Bros. (Feat. Wu-Tang Clan) 5/5 - I hear niggas hatin on this song but I dunno I like it. The beat is dope and every general comes correct on this IMO.

07. Beauty Jackson 5/5 - Chill ass beat, lovin that shit nice short story from Ghost too. 5/5 for that -10/5 for Ghost not makin this longer!

08. Heart Street Directions (Skit) - LOL all I gotta say 5/5

09. Columbus Exchange (Skit)/Crack Spot 5/5 - Really smooth beat, nice lyrics keepin with the whole Cocaine trafficing theme on the album.

10. R.A.G.U. (Feat. Raekwon) 5/5 - Again a dope beat, can't go wrong with the Chef and Toney.

11. Bad Mouth Kid (Skit) - again all I can say is LOL 5/5

12. Whip You With A Strap 5/5 - definitely some heartfelt lyrics from Ghost on this one, nice sample on the beat as well.

13. Back Like That (Feat. Ne-Yo) 4/5 - I know all the the niggas and thugs gon hate on this cause it's not all grimey n shit but I dig it, Ghost knows how to do a love song, nice chill beat.

14. Be Easy (Feat. Trife) 4/5 - Like the lyrics, Trife comes correct but damn Pete Rock? Maybe his reputation precedes him for this track but I know he can cook up somethin better than this. Still a pretty good track.

15. Clipse Of Doom (Feat. Trife) 3.5/5 - Not a bad track, nice lyrics, Ghost got a nice verse but ain't so crazy about the sample used.

16. Jellyfish (Feat. Cappadonna, Shawn Wigs & Trife) 5/5 - Kinda soulful sounding reminds me of Pretty Toney real chill and you got Ghost singing lol so it's gotta be good

17. Dogs Of War (Feat. Raekwon, Trife, Cappadonna & Sun God) 4.5/5 - Nice beat, that sample is ill and Sun God comes hard on this shit.

18. Barbershop 5/5 - Like Beauty Jackson another crazy ass chilled out beat that just begs to be made into a full fledged song. A single one minute verse don't do this beat justice.

19. Ms. Sweetwater (Skit) - Another 1-2 sentence skit...

20. Big Girl 5/5 - Sounds like that Pretty Toney ish. Like some of the other soul shit Ghost does alotta niggas prolly gonna hate but I love when he does this kinda shit. Crazy ass laid back beat with another one of those dope samples (reminds me of Holla) one of my favorites.

21. Underwater 5/5 - This is the kinda song that reminds me why Ghost is one of my favorite emcees of all time. Crazy sampled beat real unique with water and ocean sounds in the background. Trippy ass story about Ghost getting lost underwater and then meetin mermaids and seeing Noah's Arc.

22. The Ironman Takeover (Skit) - 5 seconds long....

23. Momma (Feat. Megan Rochell) 3.5/5 - Meh...I don't really like the hook, that singer is madd generic and doesn't really do anything for the track but when Ghost is on with his verses it's not bad.

24. Three Bricks (Feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Raekwon) 2/5 - Dunno kinda sounds outta place. Don't like the beat and I never been into B.I.G. that much.

Overall a crazy album from Ghost IMO. I'd rank this above Pretty Toney and Wallets but below Ironman and Supreme Clientele. Nice beats and I like that Ghost really did his own thing on this more so than Pretty Toney with the tracks and the guest apperances n shit. Plus he got alotta different styles on this that could fit on all of his albums so it makes it a interesting listen all the way through.

9/10

tical2000
03-26-2006, 11:04 PM
straight burner.....best hip hop record of 2006......like you can play this album the whole way through.......has a great flow like all classic wu tang records.......best WU TANG Record since SUPREME CLIENTELE

.....I think this album is right up there with IRONMAN and SUPREME CLIENTELE.......like 100x better than PRETTY TONY and BULLETPROOF WALLETS......

props to GHOST

GENERAL WISE
03-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Good album - 8.5/10
round to 9/10 (integer wise :) )
All songs are alright, but Standouts are rare
among them
R.A.G.U, UnderWater, Momma, Strap

rest are almost filler imo

Beats are good but Personally I hate 9 Milli Bros Beat and the song over all. Seems like all the members are trying to catch up to the beat.

Bedlam
03-26-2006, 11:48 PM
best WU TANG Record since SUPREME CLIENTELE

count how many times you've said that in this thread.

I havent heard it, i'm still waiting to buy it, but 9 Milli Bros is dissapointing. I like the beat, its just not fire. and the clan members are far below their normal posse cut lyrics. 7.5/10 for that song.

pussy-with-teeth
03-27-2006, 11:39 AM
the champ alone makes this album ill

i mean ghost sounds fuckin hungry on there..aggresive...like a beast...thats how ghost should do it....and that beat is classic no doubt..best wu song in yeeeeeeeeears

wampus
03-27-2006, 12:02 PM
i think this album is a little overrated. i love ghost and fishscale is dope but far from a classic as many guys said. so many skit and the nicest songs are too short. clipse of doom and 3 bricks are shit comparing to the rest.
but anyway there are some doppe shit like shakey dog, barbershop, beauty jackson etc... but the wu track is disapointing i know it's cool to listen the all wu but try to be wise and you can notice that they can do better than that. and according to me grandmasters is better than supreme clientele and fishscale..

Funkadelic Funkmasta
03-27-2006, 06:29 PM
i think this album is a little overrated. i love ghost and fishscale is dope but far from a classic as many guys said. so many skit and the nicest songs are too short. clipse of doom and 3 bricks are shit comparing to the rest.
but anyway there are some doppe shit like shakey dog, barbershop, beauty jackson etc... but the wu track is disapointing i know it's cool to listen the all wu but try to be wise and you can notice that they can do better than that. and according to me grandmasters is better than supreme clientele and fishscale..

clipse of doom is so fuckin ill. i don't understand these people hatin on it.

Ghost Deini
03-27-2006, 07:17 PM

SC>>>>Fishscale>Grandmasters

Honestly I think every track on this is dope save clipse of doom, 3 bricks, and momma. I ain't sayin the album is a classic, it ain't even out yet, but it is the best Ghost cd since Clientele and that's sayin something since IMO Ghost has been the most consistent general as far as solo material. One thing I will agree whole heartedly is why he didn't make Beauty Jackson and Barbershop longer. This album might get a 10/10 from me if he scrapped 3 bricks, put in Charlie Brown, and made Beauty Jackson and Barbershop atleast 3 minutes +

tical2000
03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Fishscale

Artist: Ghostface Killah
Title: Fishscale
Rating: http://www.allhiphop.com/dev/images/star_full.gif http://www.allhiphop.com/dev/images/star_full.gif http://www.allhiphop.com/dev/images/star_full.gif http://www.allhiphop.com/dev/images/star_full.gif http://www.allhiphop.com/dev/images/star_half.gif
Reviewed by: Martin A. Berrios

The evolution of Dennis Coles has been colorful, to say the least. It began with the mask and shortly progressed to the silky fly sh*t. From there he freaked it with robes, championship belts and a gold Versace dinner plate piece, propelling him to cult icon status. As Wu-Tang’s most thorough member, Ghostface Killah has held down New York during the Clan’s untimely slump. Pretty Tone steps it up once again with Fishscale (Def Jam), giving its title justice by delivering a raw and uncut fifth album.

On the opener “Shakey Dog” you get Starks at his best. He vividly paints a story about setting up a coke connect with a push in robbery during a routine visit. No detail is left untouched, as he covers everything from the cab ride over to the spot (“Got the whip smelling like fish from 125th”) to the actual drama (http://www.allhiphop.com/reviews/?ID=806#) popping off with his accomplice getting busy during the break in (“Frank’s scheming blowing shots in the air”). Ghost connects with Just Blaze to cook up the album’s strongest track on “The Champ”, though. Blaze takes inspiration from the Rocky series as he implements interpolations of the films classic dialogue throughout song. The blaring horns compliment the track’s competitive theme. Ghost goes for the belt with lines like, “My wallos I did ‘em up/the bricks I split ‘em up/my raps ya’ll bit ‘em up/for that now stick ‘em up,” to make it all the way official.

In regards to subject matter, Starks doesn’t disappoint. Ghost Deini switches the mood up on “Whip You With A Strap.” The late great J-Dilla (R.I.P.) loops up a sullen soul sample with finesse to compliment the song’s sincerity as Ghost reflects on his childhood and the old school (http://www.allhiphop.com/reviews/?ID=806#) discipline that came along with it, thanks to a heavy-handed mother. As a pleasant surprise comes “9 Milli Brothers.” All nine original Wu members once again form like Voltron over MF DOOM’s sweeping production. The metal fingers don’t fail as the masked wonder comes through with some dusty piano keys.

Beat wise Ghost sticks to his usual sample heavy script. Even though RZA didn’t put any work in, the album still maintains a strong Shoalin feel to it. Soul brother number one Pete Rock uses bouncy guitar licks and light conga drums on “Dogs Of War.” With “Jellyfish,” DOOM lays down some playful synthesized bass notes as Starks and Theodore Unit address the ladies on some “Camay” ish.

While Tone goes hard for eleven rounds, the questionable closer hinders him from dropping an undeniable classic. On “Three Bricks” Raekwon and Ghost bring back B.I.G. via borrowed vocals (http://www.allhiphop.com/reviews/?ID=806#) from “Ni**as Bleed.” The uninspired Cool & Dre production behind this awkward collaboration (remember: “Ni**as bit off of Nas sh*t!”?) does nothing but make posthumous appearances look bad.

Overall Fishscale doesn’t disappoint. It picks up right where The Pretty Toney album left off. Point blank Ghost is one of the best doing it. The ziti is still banging.

from www.allhiphop.com (http://www.allhiphop.com)

JackTrippa718JR
03-28-2006, 03:08 AM
Todays the big day. I'm def going to cop 2 today one for me and one for my younger brother that thinks g-unit is god. I got him hooked on pretty toney when it came out. Hopefully I will get him hooked on this. It's crazy cause I know when I was in high school like 10 years ago wu-tang was a s popular as g-unit is today. Now my brother asks his friends and 90% of them never even heard of wutang. The only ones who did have older siblings.

tical2000
03-28-2006, 03:38 AM
yet another fantastic review of FISHSCALE from www.allmusic.com (http://www.allmusic.com/)

4.5/5 stars

Whenever a veteran artist professes disinterest in modern music, a safe retreat into the past — a tired attempt at recapturing the magic of classic material — tends to follow. Since Ghostface Killah towed that line after the two least-thrilling albums of his career, Fishscale seemed destined to be just another part of his discography; if his fans were lucky, they'd get a couple flashes of his mad maverick genius and nothing as clumsily foul as "Tush." Fishscale is much more generous than that. It's evident that Ghost knows where he's at in his career, and it's directly acknowledged by the Mickey Goldmill (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:MICKEY|GOLDMILL)-like boxing coach during "The Champ": "You ain't been hungry...since Supreme Clientele (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:46n20r4au48x)!" Ghost responds by pouring all that he has, both lyrically and vocally, into every track on the album. The scenarios he recounts are as detailed and off-the-wall as ever, elaborate screenplays laid out with a vocal style that's ceaselessly fluid and never abrasive. This is especially remarkable since each one of Ghost's lines, when transcribed, require one-to-five exclamation points, and every frantic scene's details — from the onions on the steak, to the show on the television, to the socks sticking out of the "big Frankenstein hole" in a shoe worn by an accomplice — are itemized without derailing the events. Since no active MC sounds better over obscure-'70s soul samples, Ghost was wise to select productions that are best-suited for him, no matter how bizarre or un-pop. Just Blaze (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:7fnsa9rgi23h), Lewis Parker (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:q69us30ia3vg), MoSS (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:x9ec975fkrat), Crack Val (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:CRACK|VAL), Pete Rock (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:6q17gjvr86iv), Doom (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:a2d7gj4r16ip), the late J Dilla (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:5i61mpzk9fco), and several others supply Ghost with a tremendous round of productions. "Underwater" is the loopiest of all, even by Doom (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:ngjeeaz34x87) standards; its balmy Bobby Humphrey (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:4sq6g4axtvjz) flute and slippery beat, aided by burbling water effects, backs a hallucinatory journey in which Ghost swims with butterflies, casts his gaze on numerous riches (rubies, the Heart of the Ocean, "Gucci belts that they rocked for no reason from A Different World") and bumps into a Bentley-driving, Isley Brothers (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:8x61mpn39foo)-listening, girlfriend-smacking SpongeBob Squarepants before hitting spiritual paydirt. "Back Like That," featuring Ne-Yo (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:fbu1z88a5yvo), is the lone apparent crossover attempt, and it hardly compromises Ghost's character the way "Tush" did in 2004 ("In the summertime, I broke his jaw — had to do it to him quick, old fashion, in the back of the mall"). Another completely unique track is "Whip You with a Strap," where Ghost recalls the pain of being whipped by his mom with more than a hint of misty-eyed wistfulness. How many other MCs are capable of making you feel nostalgic about leaking welts you never had? More importantly, how many MCs entering their late-thirties have made an album as vital as any other in his or her career?

from www.allmusic.com (http://www.allmusic.com/)

JackTrippa718JR
03-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Coverhttp://www.hiphopdx.com/images/albums/032005GK_5555.jpgRatinghttp://www.hiphopdx.com/images/rating/rating-8.gifOPTIONShttp://www.hiphopdx.com/images/icon_print.gif print page (http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/print/t.album_review/id.618)
http://www.hiphopdx.com/images/icon_mail.gif send story (javascript:void(null);)
http://www.hiphopdx.com/images/icon_comment.gif comments (http://www.hiphopdx.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=2) Ghostface Killah - Fishscale

Monday - March 27, 2006

J-23

Ghostface Killah isn’t the best emcee in the world, he really isn’t even the best emcee in his crew. His lyrics often make little sense to those unfamiliar with the Wu vernacular and he even made an entire album where he said nothing but shit that “sounded fly.” That album, Supreme Clientele, was worshipped and hailed as the return of the Wu. Why? Cause Ghost has it. What is it? No one knows, it is that intangible that an A&R can’t force on a new artist and a marketing team can’t put in an ad campaign. It is what makes Ghostface one of my favorite emcees ever. Of course, there is a bit more than just it. Pretty Tony happens to have incredible taste in beats and prefers to make his own rules rather than follow them (like say just rapping over a Delfonics song). The man has more style and swagger than perhaps anyone in the game, be it telling the heartbreaking story of his childhood or talking shit about choppin’ them bricks. For those who are wondering what exactly Fishscale means, it is quite simply the finest cocaine money can buy. So you shouldn’t be surprised when he unites with partner-in-crime Raekwon to dedicate a song to the white as only they can on Kilo. Ghost and Rae connect several more times here, most notably again on the Pete Rock laced standout R.A.G.U. where they converse through story. Rae also pops up on the irritating Dogs of War with Trife, Sun God and Cappadonna, and on the bonus cut Three Bricks featuring Biggie that sounds like it’s from the Duets cutting room floor. Bonus cut or not, it has no business on this album. Of course Rae and Ghost are also together for 9 Milli Bros., along with all 8 other Clan members. I don’t remember the last time they were all on one track, but they sound great over a typically dope MF DOOM beat.
Guests aside, Ghost holds shit down in classic fashion as he always does. He gets his storytell on over the flavorful Lewis Parker banger Shakey Dog and the abbreviated-but-dope Barbershop. He takes it from the streets to the ocean for the DOOM-produced Underwater where he gets crazy bizarre; “Sponge Bob in a Bentley coupe.” Yeah, like that. As expected, Ghost has some words for the ladies and all that shit is on point. He pens thoughtful songs for the struggling (Momma), the drug-addicted (Big Girl), and the trifling (Back Like That), and of course the tale of a dime piece over a sultry J-Dilla beat (Beauty Jackson). It’s his mother who inspires him the best again though as Whip You With A Strap has Ghost fondly remembering the beatings that kept him in check as a youngster.
Fishscale’s finest moments come when Ghost links up with two of hip-hop’s best past and present producers. Be Easy, the lead street single blessed by Pete Rock, is as ridiculous as it gets as Ghost talks reckless over the minimalist thumps. Just Blaze takes it back to PR’s days with drums that bring tears to my eyes as Ghost spits his trademark darts, out to prove he is indeed The Champ. To no surprise, Ghost delivers yet another dope LP, long cementing his status as the best solo artist outta the Wu. But much like 2004’s Pretty Toney, Fishscale has its flaws. A couple lackluster songs aside (Dogs of War, Clipse of Doom), the album doesn’t really flow too well and it’s a bit bloated at 24 tracks. While the album length isn’t overwhelming like the 24 tracks would indicate, Ghost could have easily lengthened some of painfully short tracks (Beauty Jackson, Barbershop), and cut out a couple others. Plus I must say, the continual presence of Cappadonna, who is getting worse by the bar, did irritate me quite a bit. Even with some missteps, Ghostdini knocks another out the box in his own unmistakable way. It certainly is that raw, uncut…

balistikjerz856
03-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Fishscale is my favorite album this year so far. "9 Milli Bros" I've had on repeat for the past couple days. I'm feeling every song even "Back Like That" for what it is (A radio single that I can actually listen to). Supreme Clientele is my favortie Ghost cd, but I will be listening to Fishscale for a while.

Wzarecta
03-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Great review from Pitchfork, they love Ghost though.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/g/ghostface-killah/fishscale.shtml

Ghostface Killah
Fishscale
[Def Jam; 2006]
Rating: 9.0

More than 12 years after he emoted all over the first verse on the first track on the first Wu-Tang Clan album, the now 35-year-old Ghostface is still starving-- for respect, understanding, and acceptance. His isn't a hip-hop hunger marred by purposeless bouts of binging en route to an inevitable fizzle. Still hypnotically restless, this East Coast purist has homed in on an rap palette full of vivid hurt and strafing alarm. Bursting forth with some of the most pungent yarns, potent barbs, and peerless production of his remarkably consistent career, Fishscale is the choice outcome of an endlessly creative mind using experience as a compass en route to triumph.
Though his veteran status informs much of Ghost's fifth solo album, the father-knows-best pose is led by breathless rhymes, not lazy nostalgia. To wit, "Whip You With a Strap" rails against the lack of consequences brought upon today's youth with a smooth cleverness, while "Big Girl" moans about three fast-living women wasting their potential on stretched out mounds of cocaine. Tellingly, it's Ghost's coke the girls can't stop sniffing. Such ambiguities eschew didacticism for a lived-in wisdom that's as wicked as it is worthwhile. Ghost's godfather-cause is most noticeably directed at ostentatious modern-day rap hustlers who largely cook up tales with broad lines and no consequences, as he devotes four of Fishscale's 18 songs to the booming drug-rap subgenre he helped launch with Raekown's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... in 1995.
On both "R.A.G.U." and "Kilo", Rae turns up to assist his close friend describe, more than anything, the perils of selling drugs. Hardly akin to the "dealer as infallible ghetto champion" guise currently purported by the likes of Young Jeezy, Fishscale's dope peddlers are harried and frayed. Between broken wrists, familial strife, and self-inflicted gunshots to the groin, "R.A.G.U." is anything but glorifying toward its stressed-out, drug-running protagonists. But the album's most vivid illicit spectacle belongs to Ghost alone; "Shakey Dog" takes the rapper's penchant for eye-popping lyrical imagery to its extreme, offering a twisty Mamet-style narrative about a botched two-man robbery attempt.
"Fasten your seatbelts," warns the Staten Island son before unraveling a scene so perfectly lucid that an accompanying video would be redundant. Whether describing the alluring smells coming from his victim's apartment or the ruthless history of an ancillary little old lady ("She paid her dues when she smoked her brother-in-law at her boss' wedding") he passes on his way up to the place, Ghost touches on myriad senses and memories. Uncanny and gripping, it's the kind of song that requires several close listens to understand at all. It also strongly suggests that, if Ghost should ever lose his appetite for rap, he should have no problems achieving success as a screenwriter or director.
As the album's other startlingly specific tragedies-- shitty haircuts, bus stop infatuation-- fly by with deft everyman flourishes, it's the surreal "Underwater", with its strange spirituality, that proves most trenchant. The dreamy account finds our hero playing out a possible afterlife allegory while swimming at the bottom of the ocean. "I'm not on my turf," he confesses as mermaids "with Halle Berry haircuts" offer guidance along the way. In the tourist role, Ghost is as compelling as when he's recounting pavement-bred stories of his familiar youth. Sometimes on "Underwater", the two come together brilliantly like when he notices "SpongeBob in a Bentely coup, bangin' the Isleys." Eventually arriving at the "world's banginest mosque," Ghost finds comfort in Muslim chants; the rapper's rare moment of peace is well deserved amidst Fishscale's enthralling agony. Aiding in the track's calming vibes is a mysterious, flute-laden beat courtesy of MF Doom, who's responsible for four beats on the record. The masked supervillain is in the company of a reputable bevy of soul-stacked sample-masters on Fishscale and their musical backdrops match Ghost's focus and vision.
In an interview with RZA last year, he told me, "Listen to how Ghost sounds rappin over one of my beats and then over another beat...he sounds like a grown man [on my beat] and he sound younger on [other] producer's beats because they don't know the frequency." But, as this album-- the first Ghost solo disc without a RZA production-- attests, he was wrong. Whether it's the late Dilla providing his off-kilter vinyl-hiss haze for "Strap", Pete Rock cutting up Sly Stone's "Family Affiar" on the hollow funk of posse cut "Dogs of War", or Just Blaze doing his Banger 101 thing on "The Champ" (which, stripped of its bootleg Rocky sound snippets and samples at the last minute thanks to copyright issues, still packs a fair amount of heat), each producer takes their opportunity to envelope today's most soulful rapper with deep swaths of vintage samples and deep drums. The RZA's sonic influence is strong-- and he even shows up briefly on the excellent Wu reunion cut "9 Milli Bros"-- but his absence behind the Fishscale boards is largely inconsequential.
Considering his continued status as one of hip-hop's most revered, relevant elder statesmen, it seems odd that Ghostface's name was seldom bandied about in most King of New York debates over the last decade. As Fishscale reiterates with cinematic verve, the most vital current Wu Tang Clan-er's striking storytelling can match Biggie's in both excitement and humor. Yet Ghost's songs are unrelenting in their slavishness to density and credibility, and that can turn off casual listeners even as it intoxicates hip-hop purists. "My arts is crafty darts, why y'all stuck with 'Laffy Taffy'?" he asks with utter sincerity on "The Champ". As long as inevitable questions like that continually re-up this heavyweight's unswerving drive, they're probably better left unanswered. -Ryan Dombal, March 28, 2006 (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/staff/)

pussy-with-teeth
03-28-2006, 11:05 AM
lol at grandmasters been iller than fishscale...come on..that shit was sleepy rap..gza flow fell the fuck off

kha316
03-28-2006, 10:31 PM
FUCKKKKKK!!!!!!! i waited so long for this ghostface album and here it is finally and i accidentally snatched the EDITIED version off the shelf......the album is seriously hot wit the exception of a non-swearing Ghost (lol)....as for fishscale being better than grandmasters..........hmmm...i don't think but hey thats just my opinion but both are great albums in an era of very weak music

michael36forever
03-28-2006, 11:06 PM
fishscale is definitley better than grandmasters because cause its a hot ass cd but grandmasters is pretty ill i got both of them and i listen to grandmasters alot

THE W
03-29-2006, 02:45 AM
solid 8/10, well worth the $7 and change. i aint doing no long ass review i'll just give some comments

- they yanked the sample out of the champ. doesnt sound bad but the original was better

- the fucked up 9 milli, deck is mixed off beat and the mastering was garbage

- i was suprised to find that momma wasnt that bad, much better then the cheesy back like that and be easy. the chick singing in it takes away from the song some.

-big girl is a nice track. i like the song that ghostface jacked, but ghost gets no props for beatjuksing.

-whats with the hate for clips of doom? by far the best herbs beat ghost picked from doom.

-underwater isnt as good as its been hyped to be but its tight still.

-best song...RAGU, clear cut.

skippables: kilos, back like that, be easy, jellyfish, three bricks

well done ghostface :clap: . good to see you back :thumbup:

Blaque_Ravage
03-29-2006, 03:17 AM
All the tracks on Fishscale is dope,I have no big gripes because not one track did I have to skip thinking what the hell is this...NOPE...all ill.And once again I have to give it to Ghostface for holding it down himself without Rza....I know people wish there was some Rza beats...but look at what Ghost cooked up for his fans.

So many classic songs on this album....Momma amazed me because I was ready to skip asuming it was some corny filler type of song or Def Jam pushed on Ghost to help promote this new artist,But I like this Megan Rochell chick...she has good chemistry with Ghost...good song.

Im surprised though that RAGU was produced by Pete Rock? You know the next Ghostface album it would be dope if Pete Rock can produce more tracks like that for Ghost....shit was vintage OB4CL vibe!

Ghostface is what hiphop needs refreshing our minds to what we hear eveyday.......dude aint afraid to stay true to his art! 4.5/5

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
03-29-2006, 11:42 AM
RAPREVIEW.COM REVIEW OF FISHSCALE

Ghostface Killah is an institution unto himself. While the Wu-Tang Clan has suffered a general decline over the years, for reasons that are their own fault (poor solo albums, lack of unity) and reasons that aren't (Ol' Dirty's untimely demise), Ghost has stayed immensely popular. Any year that Wu affiliated albums are released, the Ghost one tends to be the most anticipated (only GZA even comes close). What's his secret? Ghost is simply a great rapper, hands down. His voice is very emotional and descriptive, his lyrics are superbly visual narratives on the level of Rakim or G. Rap, and his personality shines through on almost every track. In all fairness the Wu needs Ghostface far more at this point than he needs them, because if nobody else holds up the banner for the crew, he always comes through to carry the weight.

"Fishscale" is no exception to this trend, as Ghost continues his tradition of being the Wu's most consistant soloist. There are a few other Wu affiliates to be found on the album - Raekwon on "Kilo," a bunch of Clan fam on "9 Milli Bros" and such, but there's little doubt this is Ghost's showcase and that he owns it. The lead single "Back Like That" featuring Ne-Yo doesn't come in until track 13, but for the purposes of this review skip to it right now if you're listening on your Discman or iPod. Pay attention to the subtle background snaps, the smooth harmonizing, the beautiful piano keys and the strong chorus breakdowns and thank Xtreme for producing a beautiful track. Then peep the Ghost lyrics closely and realize that combining with Xtreme on this shit results in true cinematic drama.
"Aiyyo, I thought we was iller than that, all them kisses
And love yous, when Jake came, you hid my packs
It was time a brother went to war, vests banged up
Stainin in the kitchen, yo, holdin a four
Sweatin and breathin, bounced out of town for a weekend
Heard you had homey in the passenger seating
Honey, look, I'm a monster don, I do monster things
That's why I put your ass under my arm
Messing with him can bring bodily harm
And where you gonna hide in the streets when the body is gone
If it's one thing I learned that, never trust a female
On no scale, you just confirmed that
Bounce to your momma house, pack your shit
I don't care if you crying, youse a ruthless chick"
Dizamn, shawty played Ghost foul! That's Ghostface for you - he makes beautiful songs about ugly incidents. On "The Champ" he comes with straight kingpin shit over a fantastic Just Blaze beat while telling foes "you're burnin up like David Koresh." The late great J Dilla blesses Ghost on "Whip You with a Strap" on a track that comes off like the long lost sequel to "All That I Got is You," and indeed Ghost gets his butt whipped by momma and raps vividly about being a bad little kid. Ken Lewis comes correct on "Big Girl" with some smooth old school soul, a popular refrain on Ghostface albums. For anybody who misunderstood Ghost as a misogynist over the years, this song is a whole new perspective:
"Word life, put you to school when the clubs'll stop
College girl, pay for your books at 200 a pop
And all I ask in life's for you to be careful
Stay focused, take care of your health
Have kids and marry a prince
Good luck and happiness
And no longer shut yourself in, taste the pain, the sorrow
The sun'll shine and still come out tomorrow"
The only major complaint I have about "Fishscale" after listening to it are that there are just too damn many skits. This isn't always a bad thing, especially if they're as clever and closely connected to the album's theme as they were on "Ironman," but these don't seem to enhance or detract from the presentation - they're just there. Otherwise "Fishscale" falls right into line as another classic album from the man who has consistantly brought heat for 10 years and 2 different labels.
Music Vibes: 8 of 10 Lyric Vibes: 9 of 10
TOTAL Vibes: 8.5 of 10

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
03-29-2006, 11:51 AM
While Tone goes hard for eleven rounds, the questionable closer hinders him from dropping an undeniable classic. On “Three Bricks” Raekwon and Ghost bring back B.I.G. via borrowed vocals (http://www.allhiphop.com/reviews/?ID=806#) from “Ni**as Bleed.” The uninspired Cool & Dre production behind this awkward collaboration (remember: “Ni**as bit off of Nas sh*t!”?) does nothing but make posthumous appearances look bad.

Overall Fishscale doesn’t disappoint. It picks up right where The Pretty Toney album left off. Point blank Ghost is one of the best doing it. The ziti is still banging.

from www.allhiphop.com (http://www.allhiphop.com)

[/quote]

i agree wit the review but i think the 3 Bricks is the only track that awckward n doesn't fit the puzzle right nahmean other than that the album is fire

Vexation
03-29-2006, 11:59 AM
I bet half of the people with a "reserve" on the first page don't even post a review, that's corny.

Biggbwoy
03-29-2006, 03:39 PM
No matter what cats say..I think this album is classic

deadlymelody
03-29-2006, 06:20 PM
I bet half of the people with a "reserve" on the first page don't even post a review, that's corny.

Still plan on it.....

leaguer1
03-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Ghost came correct on this one: 4.5/5

fav. track = "the champ"

It ain't perfect, but I only see the positives on this one.

in only a couple of months, Rae will be releasing Cuban Linx II. Fishscale could easily have been named Supreme Clientelle II.

oDoUoSoKo
03-29-2006, 09:28 PM
9.5/10

i love all the songs except barber shop and beauty jackson..ONLY cuz they could have been longer, but they were still great songs

Polocash7
03-29-2006, 10:43 PM
It's a dope ass LP. Ghost does it again. I'm probably one of the few ppl who didn't download the LP. Glad I didn't. Ghost keeeps bring the heat. The skits need to go. Can't stop bangin' 9 milli bros,Dogs of War,Clipse of Doom and Shakey Dog. Momma is my least favorite track and still a dope track. 9/10

tical2000
03-29-2006, 11:01 PM
cd is crazy......best WU TANG album since SUPREME CLIENTELE.....best rap record of 2006

dreday99
03-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Kilos and Clipse of Doom are FAR from wack... I really can't understand how many of you don't like Kilos... That track is so gutter..

co-sidign

tical2000
03-30-2006, 01:55 PM
from www.okayplayer.com (http://www.okayplayer.com)

Ghostface Killah

Fishscale

Def Jam; 2006

http://www.okayplayer.com/reviews/images/four-half.gif
It’s been real tough to be a Wu-Tang fan in the last several years. Only two group albums in the last nine years, the death of Ol’ Dirty Bastard, and a plethora of uninspired and bland solo albums has turned off many former fans, leaving only the most die-hard to still care. The shining light throughout it all has been the Clan’s second most animated character, Ghostface Killah, who has dropped one of the most consistent catalogues in hip-hop, period. With his fifth release, Fishscale, Ghostface keeps the Wu sound alive in a big way, with help from his Clansmen and some of hip-hop’s most acclaimed underground producers.
Despite the album’s production being outsourced to beatmakers outside of the Wu camp, Fishscale captures the vintage mid-‘90s Rza sound as Ghost contributes his usual lyrical looniness. On the hectic and hype-as-hell Just Blaze-laced “The Champ”, Ghostface stakes his claim at king-of-New-York-status, while managing to take shots at some of hip-hop’s flavor of the month, candy-coated artists. The late J. Dilla provided two of his Donuts in the form of the eerie storytelling skit “Beauty Jackson” and the dedication to parental discipline, “Whip You With The Strap”.
After receiving nearly zero Wu-assistance on The Pretty Toney Album, Ghost decides to provide us with a heap of the good stuff on Fishscale. “9 Milli Bros.” is the first track, in what seems like ages, to feature the entire Wu-Tang Clan, including Dirt Dog and Cappadonna over a messy piano loop. The chemistry is still alive, and only keeps us yearning for at least one more group album. Cuban Link brother Raekwon also helps out on the head-nodder “R.A.G.U. (Rae And Ghost United)”, a song that captures the essence of 1995, as well as on the catchy drug tale “Kilo”, and the funky guitar-licking lyrical exercise “Dogs of War”.
Hip-hop legend Pete Rock assists with the horn-heavy “Be Easy”, which finds Ghostface and protégé Trife Da God trading verses. Ghost, known for his nonsensical storytelling, reaches a new level of weird on “Underwater”, a spaced-out flute track produced by MF Doom, which discusses such issues as “Spongebob in the Bentley Coup”.
Fishscale is great from beginning to end. From the triumphant horns of “Shakey Dog”, to the bongos, chipmunk soul and strings of “Crack Spot”, to the heartfelt reflections on “Momma”, Ghostface Killah delivers the goods once again in a major way, and shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

– Adrian Ruhi

from www.okayplayer.com (http://www.okayplayer.com)

http://okayplayer.com/images/update/upd033006.jpg

Anaconda
03-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Lovin it!

Fayth
03-30-2006, 02:44 PM
amazin album , 9/10.....fav songs - "The Champ" and "9 Milli Bros"

K-Oss
03-31-2006, 03:09 AM
the only complaint is that charlie brown didnt make it and momma did...but i can seriously listen to the entire album without skipping (except momma, not feeling the singing, ehh)...the only other thing is that barbershop is way too short....that would crazy if it was a minute longer...oh well...my favorite tracks are 'underwater' and 'dogs of war' and '9 milli'

If wu continues putting out great albums they'll eventually get the praise they deserve

and big girl is an awesome song...i've played it nonstop...ghost knows what he's doing

mcfearson
03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
You see the problem is that people go in buying the album hoping for or expecting for a certain sound from Wu members. Thinking if it doesn't sound like an earlier album it will not be good. Look at it like this. In about three years the radio is going to play artists that have bitten off the newest albums from Wu members. That is how long it takes artists to catch up. Take the album for what it is. A step forward in hip hop. You either love it or you hate it. Stop compairing!!! Fishscale will never collect dust!!!

444trumpets
03-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Album is sick!!!

EVEN FLOW
03-31-2006, 04:55 PM
I hope this and OB4CL2 will bring hip-hop back to the EAST!

mastacj
03-31-2006, 08:54 PM
Second best album by Ghost....Underwater tight tight tight:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

stocks
04-01-2006, 08:43 AM
I like what mcrearson said, we think a classic should be made 1 way, but its really putting a complet package together and ghost has been doing this since iron man. he has been the most consistent of the whole clan. and i was not suprise that this ablum is a banger. same with gza, and underwater is one of ghost best songs i think

Machete
04-01-2006, 06:38 PM
The slow jams get boring really fast. There is to many skits and I don't like the name of the album; it is tacky and out of place. Other than that, I like it. I don't have a favorite track yet cause I only heard it once.

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
04-01-2006, 09:45 PM
i hate that the DOOM beats are reused, old beats (i.e. 9 Mili Bros - Wu Tang Clan/ 1,2...1,2 - Monsta Island Czars)

other than that the album is decent

7.9/10

i like pretty toney more

oDoUoSoKo
04-01-2006, 09:49 PM
ya, 1,2..1,2 is a better song imo

04-01-2006, 09:52 PM
even tho it's old/reused Clipse of Doom is ill tho

does anyone notice how the beat on Underwater is different the the actual version of it? (Orange Blossoms from Special Herbs vol. 5&6)

Hollow Dartz
04-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Album is better than Pretty Toney Lightyears better...and It's just better than BulletProof Wallets. But Ironman is still #1. I'll rate later but it's a defintite Near Classic album.

A_Wisdombody
04-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, he's done it again. Fishscale is yet another amazing but impossible-to-sell Ghostface album. It's the weirdest thing; he talks about how his career isn't popping off like it should, how he has Def Jam behind him now, how he's ready to go out and work himself to the bone promoting this thing, and then he goes and makes an album full of claustrophobically discordant coke-rap that will immediately scare away anyone who doesn't already love him. Only maybe three or four of the songs on Fishscale have actual hooks, and we've already heard two of them, "Back Like That" and "Be Easy." He's enlisted MF Doom for four or five tracks, and he's taken the absolute weirdest stuff Doom had to offer, dizzy and stormy and cluttered things. There's an amazingly strained and urgent Just Blaze banger, just a mind-bendingly great song, but it's not going to get Ghost's crazy ass on 106 & Park anytime soon. His one concession is "Back Like That," which will probably get some rotation just like "Tush" and that Bulletproof Wallets song with Carl Thomas, but it's not going to turn him into a star overnight.

Other than that one song, Fishscale is Ghost's most aggressively weird album since Supreme Clientele. The frenzied lyrical free-association has almost disappeared (though there is this one insane song about being underwater I'll talk about later), but it's musically his most dense and fiery work, and there's a good chance it'll end up being my favorite album of the year. The entire Wu-Tang Clan appears altogether on one song, the apocalyptic banger "Nine Milli Brothers," all of them getting a couple of bars (including a posthumous ODB), and all of them sounding great. An uncharacteristically low-key Raekwon shows up on a few tracks, as does a wildly reanimated Cappadonna ("AKA the cabriver" he says at one point) and a quickly improving Trife. Ghost's son SG, who rapped a bit at Ghost's October BB King's show, gets a verse; he sounds like an average young NY mixtape rapper, which is more than anyone could've expected. And beyond that, there are no guest rappers, just Ghost going hard throughout, lovingly describing crack-selling memories and women standing at bus stops and, like, child abuse (the Jay Dee track "Strap" finds him nostalgic about getting his ass beat).

The album flows beautifully, the one weak track ("Charlie Brown") buried near the end and "Be Easy" and "Back Like That" working perfectly in context. One song, "Big Girl," is a slightly dubious story-track about telling women to get their act together and stop getting high, but it's told with enough humane grace that it doesn't sound condescending, at least not on first listen. The first two tracks, gun-talk memories both, are nearly as strident as "Run." Other, later tracks are simply gorgeous, built from the same dusky soul samples he used through much of The Pretty Toney Album. On first listen, it seems pretty much predestined that Ghost is going to remain a critics' favorite and nothing more; that's fine with me, even if it isn't fine with him.

Keep in mind, though, that I've only heard this album once, and I heard it last night at a listening party. I'd been avoiding these things since I moved to New York; this was my first. The idea always kind of grossed me out: record companies so paranoid about music critics bootlegging their shit (whatever) that they refuse to send out promo copies and instead invite everyone into a studio so they can schmooze around and half-listen to the album while it plays on really expensive speakers. It turned out to be really fun, though, all full of writers (many of whom I know) and Def Jam intern-types, everyone sitting on really uncomfortable metal folding chairs and crowding around tiny white tables, eating free food (slightly stale fried coconut-shrimp and some kind of really spicy Jamaican chicken-wings) and drinking free booze (Bacardi with pineapple juice is nasty; Bacardi with blue Powerade is amazing). You go through metal detectors and through hallways full of posters of Beyonce and Aerosmith and Harry Connick, Jr. and Beyonce again, into a room with red lights and crinkled-up strips of cloth hanging on the walls. The best part was the DVD they showed Ghostface explaining all the songs. Apparently the artists often show up to these things, but Ghost was on the Wu-Tang tour, so he taped this thing instead. It worked out great; he wouldn't have opened up much if he was looking this room full of people in the face, but he did when he was talking into a camera: "Please people, just listen, listen carefully ... I don't want y'all checking y'all cell phones, ordering pizza and shit." He went into a surprising amount of detail about putting songs together: "If there's a wack nigga out of four niggas, usually you'll put that nigga (long pause) third." In one truly stunning moment, he talked about the album's final song, which is about being underwater, seeing mermaids and Spongebob and the necklace from Titanic, everyone eventually going to a mosque and praying. Just hearing this song is a total mindfuck; seeing Ghostface explain it is even more so. So maybe all this stuff made me like the album more than I would've otherwise, but I don't know. It's pretty fucking great.

PROPS: VILLAGE VOICE

I love Fish Scales. My fave track is Shakey Dog. This album is as good as Supreme Clientele.

Wongo921
04-03-2006, 12:05 PM
I love this album so far. Ghost really has a lot of passion. 9 mili bros is an amazing track, as is the champ, crack spot, underwater, and RAGU, and I don't think any of the tracks are that bad. It's to early for me to tell if I like this more than supreme clientele, but we'll see. I love the skits, especially bad mouth kid.

eL-MF
04-03-2006, 01:00 PM
shakey dog is just crazy....
this album is just straight fire...

you cant hate on this

04-03-2006, 10:05 PM
i change my opinion it's more of a solid 8.0 than a 7.9

King Justice
04-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Ghostface was the Wu member i listened to the least but i got that Fishscale ablum sampler at the Wu concert and yo thats shit was ILL as a leper colony shit was on point makes me wanna got back and buy all his albums (yeah im sorry i don't have any GhostFace albums:yessad: )

deadlymelody
04-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Your kidding me? Go get em all. Not one bad album.

A_Wisdombody
04-04-2006, 12:21 AM
shakey dog is just crazy....
this album is just straight fire...

you cant hate on this

I agree

-Gambino-
04-04-2006, 07:53 AM
When i first listened to Fishcale then i didn't feel it. So i listened to it again and i started to feelin it. And when i listened to it third time then i just loved this!
Great album.
8.5/10

Ghostface Killllllaaaaaaaaaaaah. No one could get illa! :D

Antibody
04-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Dont understand why people are hating the clipse of doom beat. Maybe not liking it, but people saying they cant even listen to it?

Only track I'm not really into is 'Momma', but back like that grew on me so that could aswell...

9/10 for me, really good album.

Fav tracks (its policy):

Kilo
Whip you with a strap
Jellyfish
Dogs of war

got the album yesterday... listening to it for something like the 4th or 5th time, so fav tracks keep changing.

Orhan Gencebay
04-04-2006, 10:36 AM
ordered my copy yesterday. it´s worth buying and more than that it is a damn good album.

i have to give it another good listen cause i didnt really "listened" to all that he says but so far it´s:
9/10
for me.
i don´t like that the clan track is put together not recorded live. as well as ragu. but all in all it´s ok cause it still sounds very dope.
i love the underwater track. champion. whip me with a strap....haha...damn good. family thing.
cappa is back and burrrrnin - that´s good.

JackTrippa718JR
04-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I have to say after listening to this album for a week it is off the hook. I love it. The only thing I really don't care for is all the skits. I think those are senseless on all hip hop albums. I read someone said on here that it seems like a mixture of all his previous albums. I agree. A little bit of everything on here for everyone. A def must buy. Ghost still continue's to be the most consistant with the wu. Can't wait for the MF Doom & Ghost Collabo, Swift & Changable.

KaramelSundae
04-04-2006, 12:40 PM
11/10 haha. everytime i hear fishscale i have to rewind to hear certain lines. i catch new ones everytime i hear the album.

King Justice
04-04-2006, 10:40 PM
The song KILO love that shit listened to like 10x already

deadlymelody
04-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I've been really busy lately my review is still coming.

tekunique
04-05-2006, 10:23 PM
i love the clubber lang sample in The Champ. and i think 3 Bricks is dope no matter what niggas say.. with or without BIG's verse. Rae flipped that Somebody Gotta Die hook like its always been a Wu Tang song..

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
04-06-2006, 12:25 AM
The Champ song is my track along w/ clipse of doom n underwater my top three favorite tracks

sungod
04-06-2006, 12:44 PM
my favourite tracks are "clipse of doom", "the champ" and "r.a.g.u."

12weLvE
04-06-2006, 06:01 PM
My Ratings for Fishscale:

Shakey Dog: 4/5
Kilo: 4.5/5
The Champ: 5/5 (#1 out of My Top 5)
9 Mili Bros: 5/5 (#4 out of My Top 5)
Beauty Jackson: 3.5/5
Crack Spot: 4.5/5
R.A.G.U: 5/5 (#2 out of My Top 5)
Whip You With A Strap: 5/5
Back Like That: 4.5/5
Be Easy: 5/5
Clipse Of Doom: 5/5 (#3 out of My Top 5)
JellyFish: 5/5
Dogs Of War: 4.5/5
Barbershop: 4.5/5 (If it was longer it would have been a 5)
Big Girl: 3.5/5
Underwater: 5/5 (#5 out of My Top 5)
Momma: 3.5/5
Three Bricks: 4.5/5

EVEN FLOW
04-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Shakey dog-4/5
Kilo-3/5
The champ- 4/5
9milli bros.-5/5
Beauty Jackson-3/5
Crackspot-3/5
R.A.G.U-4/5
Whip you wit a strap-4/5
Back like dat- 4/5
Be Easy-5/5
Clipse of Doom-4/5
Jellyfish-5/5
Dogs of War- 5/5
Barbershop- 4/5
Big Girl-3/5
UNderwater- 4/5
Momma- 2/5
Three Bricks- 5/5- BEST SONG!

Bets Cd I ahve got in a while. Its better than T.I's joint. Beats aren't good enough though. Still got the dankest lyrics, BUT, people wanna dance these days instead of listening to creativity. Too many skits, songs are too short.

4/5, best of '06 so far.

EVEN FLOW
04-06-2006, 06:22 PM
thats not a clubber lang sample! He says supreme clientele. I don't think that ever mentioned in Rocky.

J-DON
04-06-2006, 09:00 PM
IMO

Shakey Dog
- 10/10 -
Gully

Kilos
- 8/10 -
tough lyrics,beat sucks without a good sub(shit on headphones)

The Champ
- 8/10 -
Dope lyrics but miss the old verse, not used to the new beat yet. Would have been a 10/10 like this.

Ditch verse 1

Verse 2
Verse 3
OG Verse 2

9 milli bros
-8/10-
Grew on me but still one of the worst all member wu joints
-GZA still hasnt woken up
-WTF @ Raspy Deck
-Best verse is still only "good" nobody really tears it

Beauty Jackson
-10/10-
ILLL track.. wisdom body type joint that outdoes the original

Crack Spot
-10/10-
Love the instrumental, ghost can make even an OD funny

R.A.G.U.
-10/10-
Gets me all tingling inside with that OB4CL flavor

Whip You With A Strap
-10/10-
So many emotions in this song, nostalgia, remorse, love, fear, pain.
Undeniable classic track.

Back Like That
-7/10-
On its own its 'meh' but in the album its not too out of place. Just good enough not to be skipped.

Be Easy
-8.5/10-
Grew on me SO much since I first heard it, one of the best beats on the album and just some feel good shit to get you bouncing without being TOO bouncy. First verse is simple but funny, second verse is all braggadocio but it just fits and comes off nice.

Clipse of Doom
-10/10-
Vicious beat. Ghost is hilarious on the intro. Ghost smashes it on the first verse, Trife comes in and RIPS it with a dope hook, then ghost comes back and does it again on his second verse and then cleans up the shit on the last verse. Just straight amped up shit!

Jellyfish
-9/10-
An instance of ghost singing gone right and cappa even joins in on the fun not sounding half bad! All dope verses about around the block girls. Nice doom beat even though there were better to choose from.

Dogs of War
-7.5/10-
Beat gets kind of old and nobody REALLY kills it on here, caps verse shoulda been cut off a few bars too.

Barbershop
-8/10-
Its all good here but would have been a 10 with both verses being left in.

Big Girl
-8/10-
Good shit. Ghost doing his patented rhyming over a whole soul track and doing it well. Good message 2 and def some funny moments.

Underwater
-7.5/10-
I was kind of underwhelmed with this. Love this beat but he could have done more with it lyrically. Dont get me wrong its a creative track but I thought it would be like The Forest, except underwater.

Momma
-9/10-
Alot of you arent feeling this song but its some real heartfelt shit. Good beat and decent singing too.

3 Bricks
-8/10-
Beat is kinda generic but Rae kills the hook and Rae and ghost spit ill verses . Im still kinda iffy on using the BIG verse though (I know it was supposed to be on Duets Id have just ditched it)

AVG of Scores is 8.7

but for an overall listen, how i feel after i listen to the joint I give it a 9/10. Best shit ive heard in a minute. Lyrically the album is almost flawless but there could have been more hard bangers beatwise (like the Murder Goons track) which would have put it over the top for me.

noel411
04-07-2006, 04:38 AM
Album is average as fuck. Heard it all before. Nothing about it really captured my attention. Had little interest listening to it the first time, very little desire to hear it again, bumped it again anyway and decided it's fucken average. Not a bad album at all, aside from recycling already overused Doom beats on a few tracks, and the Clan track bites dick, but just very little appeal.

I don't know why cunts rave about releases like this. It just sounds like everything else out there. Back when the Clan were on top of their game their shit stood out. They had their own sound. Albums like this are a dime a dozen.

Dr Zayus
04-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Album is average as fuck. Heard it all before. Nothing about it really captured my attention. Had little interest listening to it the first time, very little desire to hear it again, bumped it again anyway and decided it's fucken average. Not a bad album at all, aside from recycling already overused Doom beats on a few tracks, and the Clan track bites dick, but just very little appeal.

I don't know why cunts rave about releases like this. It just sounds like everything else out there. Back when the Clan were on top of their game their shit stood out. They had their own sound. Albums like this are a dime a dozen.

There's another album like Fishscale out? Where?

mcflaky
04-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Its a great album. Like every album of the Wu Tang members ;)

Alcryt
04-07-2006, 10:26 AM
I just got this album just now and its friggin awesome!! ^O^

tical2000
04-08-2006, 01:11 AM
and yet another extremely positve review of FISHSCALE from VIBE

from www.vibe.com (http://www.vibe.com/)

Ghostface Killah - Fishscale (Def Jam)

4/5

By: Ben Detrick
March 22, 2006

Despite the waning interest in New York–centric rap, Ghostface Killah’s eccentric street appeal still manages to grab the attention of rap fans. On Fishscale, his fifth solo offering, the Wally Champ sticks to the script, breathing life into vivid narratives of girls, guns, coke, and crime.
If the Pete Rock–furnished horn stabs of “Be Easy” are representative of Fishscale’s golden-era aesthetic, “Back Like That,” which fuses an interpolation from Jay-Z’s, “Song Cry” into Ne-Yo’s soulfully crooned hook, is an intentional radio-ready endeavor. But even when he compromises, Ghost wins: “I should just bark on you...’cause I’m too much man to leave a mark on you.”
Appearances from Wu-Tang cronies on tracks such as “9 Milli Bros.” largely appeal to nostalgia, but the chemistry between Raek- won and Tony Starks remains intact, as evidenced by the jubilant drug ode “Kilo” and the visual “R.a.g.u.” With the exception of a Just Blaze adrenaline rush on “The Champ,” Ghostface mostly snubs big name producers for indie icons MF Doom, J Dilla, and Madlib. The sample-heavy results are cohesive yet diverse, a proper canvas for Ghost’s finest effort since Supreme Clientele.

from www.vibe.com (http://www.vibe.com/)

Django
04-08-2006, 05:25 PM
dis a fukin siiikkk album! best of 06!

could av gone with a better front cover tho:yes:

Kriszy Substance
04-09-2006, 12:42 AM
I agree about the cover^^^. But ultimately it doesnt matter. Just found this thread and decided to re-post my review in case some one gives a shit.

1. Intro-funny, still trying to figure out what exactly is being said.

2. Shakey Dog-10/10 This song set it off for me. I went and bought the CD and was sitting in my car looking at the cover art and shit as the intro was playing. Then as soon as I pull out to leave Shakey Dog comes and he said “buckle up…fasten your seatbelts” as I was putting on my seat belt to drive out of there. The synchronicity was perfect and right then I knew this album was going to do me right. This one had a real Theodore Unit feel for me which I liked.

3. Kilo-9/10 The only reason I give it a 9 I think is because I’m not into coke or whatever. Love the wa-wa guitar and girls singing “Kilo is 1000 grams, easy to remember”. The lyrics are sick and the girls singing kind of remind me of something off sesame street or something, but in a good way. Then the colors listed, “gold tops, green tops..” also reminds me of something kidish. Like the learn your ABC’s for the powder game, if that makes any sense. Good song.

4. The Champ-10/10 I love the guitar on this song and the samples of the guy coaching the champ. Great changes too. This song really makes me want to move my head. One of my favorites for sure. Ladies and gentlemen this song is the champ.

5. Major Operation Skit is effective.

6. 9 Milli Bros-9/10 This is an official Wu-Tang head banger. Enough said.

7. Beauty Jackson-9/10 Not my most favorite song, but I give it a 9 cause Im not usually into the slower/love type songs but I really like the visuals the lyrics give me. Sexy song and I like the fact that it wasn’t drawn out. In and out….works for me.

8. Heart Street Directions Skit-funny. I can picture him just fucking around recording this and deciding to put it on the album cause it was entertaining.

9.Columbus Exchange/Crack Spot-10/10. Crack Spot is a good one. I love the beat and the changes, the fills with the bongo type sounding drums. Cant find anything I don’t like about it.

10. R.A.G.U.-10/10 Definitely one of the better songs on this album. I love the beat, the orchestra type sample in the background, the way the beat cuts out to add to the dynamics of the song. Rae rips it up.

11. Bad Mouth Kid Skit-shit cracks me up, I wonder who’s kid that is saying all that.

12. Whip You With A Strap- 10/10. I love the sample on this…Is that a man singing “when I was bad”? It notes Luther Ingram as the sample but it sounds like a lady to me. The lyrics and idea of this song really hit me for many reasons. This one is a favorite of mine as well.

13. Back Like That-7.5/10. Not the best in my opinion. I just don’t feel this one for some reason. I don’t think I really care for the Ne-Yo guy on it, he is not bad, just not for me. I pretty much skip past this one to be honest.

14. Be Easy-10/10 Hella good song. I love the circus like sample or whatever it is and the build up into the song and in the middle. Trife is hitting homeruns in my opinion.

15. Clipse of Doom-10/10 This one is a home run as well. I love the gritty guitar samples and the beat, rolls and dynamics of this song. Gotta love Trife. I don’t know how everyone has been feeling about this one but if it hasn’t been getting love than I would call you all crazy. An absolute classic in my opinion.

16. Jellyfish- 8/10 I don’t know why this one doesn’t hit me real hard. Maybe cause its kind of a love type song. The beat is really good but there is something I cant really put my finger on that I don’t like about it. Still good though.

17. Dogs of War-9/10 Like the 70’s feel of it and the over all flow of the song. Good lyrics too but there is something a little unexciting about it for some reason (sorry for not elaborating more).

18. Barbershop-10/10 A classic. Funny intro, great build up into the beginning. I love the beat and rolls. Probably one of the most interesting songs on the album as far as the beat goes. Great awkward hits on certain spots on the high hat sound, chops it up nicely. Got nothing but good things to say about this song.

19.Ms. Sweetwater was no where to be found. Hee hee.

20. Big Girl-10/10 Every woman should have this song in her car, home stereo or what not. This one has been comforting to me with some personal shit I’ve been going through. Makes me feel capable and hopeful, no cheez. Great song.

21. Underwater 9/10 Like the imagery this song brings up. The weird flute sample type thing is effective and sounds dream like too. Ghost did a great job of making you feel under water. I felt like I had heard this song before for some reason. Like it was bringing up old dreams I’ve had or something.

22 & 23. Ironman for president….Momma-7/10 Just don’t feel this one. It is maybe growing on me a little but all in all it’s a toss up between this and Back Like That as my least favorite songs. That Megan Rochell has a great voice but nothing about this song excites me.

24. bonus track Three Bricks- 10/10 A lot of times I listen to this one first and then listen to the rest of the album so I can hear it twice. Glad they chose this to be on the album as a bonus. The beat is fucking incredible! This would be a hard one for me to reproduce and I respect that greatly. Not predictable at all. The dynamics are killer and of course it is great to hear The Notorious B.I.G. and Raekwon tearing the shit up. I find it hard to believe that anyone could find anything negative to say about this song. Fantastic.

Longbongcilvaringz
04-09-2006, 02:49 PM
got it today. needs a few more listens i feel. the verses on "shakey dog" are insane and "dogs of war" is crazy.

McTom
04-10-2006, 04:13 AM
most of this album is good, except all those freakin' skits, including the kinda 'skit-songs' (Beauty Jackson, Barbershop). Were they really necessary? Also "Back Like That" is crap, I hate that guy Ne-Yo. Other songs are fine tough, they remember often of other Ghosts albums:

Shakey Dog, The Champ, Clipse of Doom, Underwater: Supreme Clientele

Kilo, R.A.G.U., 9 Milli Brothers: Ironman

Whip You With A Strap, Be Easy, Momma, Dogs of War: Pretty Toney

Back Like That, Jellyfish: Bulletproof Wallets

Three Bricks: ?

meddmawamm
04-10-2006, 04:51 PM
I give it 4.5 mics.

deadlymelody
04-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Re-post from 1st page

Ghostface Killah going soft on us? My stinkin ass! Tony Starks re-
enlightens any darknes that hung over the once prominent Wu-Tang Clan. Fishscale hits the shelves with power, finesse, and soul.

The Return Of Clyde Smith-I think we are all fans of Clyde Smith. In Supreme Clientele, he gave specific words to 50 Cent, calling him a, "fake faggot ass nigger." Good to start out with Clyde

Shakey Dog-4/5- First thing that struck me about the song was the beat. Is that a good thing? Well, no. Seemed pretty simplistic to me, with horns popping in and out and your usual voice sample. The great part of the song is Ghostface's verses, no arguments needed. You want to hear all the great dynamics of Tony, here's a good track to hear.

Kilo-4/5- Kilo, like Shakey Dog, isn't a track that grabs you and make you go "Hell yeah this is great." You have a catchy chorus going, "All around the world today, a kilo is a measure, whoever got the kilo's got the candy man," and so on. Raekwon brings the calm flow with very Cuban Linx-esque wordplay. You find yourself listening to this again and again.

The Champ-5/5- The Champ introduces Just Blaze to the album, and a little bit of Rocky, too. Any Rocky fan/Ghostface Killah fan will no doubt love this track, as both aspects are implemented here. Dominating horns and rugged drums followed with a pounding baseline equal up to one hell of a beat. This brings out the best in Ghost, as he speeds up the flow. To make a comparison, this is the best Wu solo track of the past couple years, beating out GZA's "General Principles."

Major Operation-Basically an intro to 9 Milli Bros

9 Milli Bros.-5/5- Dirt Mcgirt? Wait...Dirt Mcgirt? It seems to me that when ODB (RIP) is on a track, he likes to start it out with some words. RZA sworns everyone in; recycled from Fast Cars of "Birth of a Prince." Oddly, a track with 9 verses has a hook in it. They all spit quick, precise verses over a old-school piano loop beat, given to you by MF Doom. The first few times you hear this song, you'll have a big smile on your face, guarenteed.

Beaty Jackson-4/5- Add a new track to the list of "Songs that should have been longer," because this is one of them. If you turn this from a minute and a half track to 3 and a half minutes, it is one of the best songs on the album. The smooth, bass heavy beat done by J Dilla (RIP), was masterfully done.

Heart Street Directions-4/5- Is it dumb to rate skits? Not with ones this funny.

Columbus Exchange/ Crack Spot-3.5/5- This track is nothing special, but nonetheless, very good. Beat is fairly simple, with a couple of samples. Good verses by Ghostface once again.

R.A.G.U-5/5- You got the Ironman flavor on this track, with an old 1995 type vibe laid down by Pete Rock. Screeching violins with heavy drums add great amounts of replay value for this. I love the fact Rae and Ghost played off of each other's verses. This is a great track of the best 1,2 punch in the game.

Bad Mouth Kid- Skit. What kind of kid is this?

Whip You With A Strap-5/5- This track is the same formula on some tracks off of The Pretty Toney album, except executed much better. You have a great sample from J Dilla, and verses by Ghost relating closely to the songs' theme. Great job.

Back Like That-3/5-I am not an R&B fan, but I find myself listening to this track. Is it because I can relate to the story? That helps. Also helps that the beat is actually not bad, and it actually has good songwriting in it, unlike your modern day R&B.

Be Easy-4/5-Very, very catchy song. To me, although the beat isn't outstanding, is still well done. Pete Rock loves horns so much that this is all that the beat is. Even better is the catchy hook. Lyrically, Ghost brings a different flow and wordplay. Great track.

Clipse of Doom-2/5- With a title like this, you are expecting a very "Ironman" type beat. Ouch, the beat kind of hurts the ears. One of the few weak tracks on the album.

Jellyfish-5/5-Phew, the bad track is over. And now the great organ beat drops in! Very simple, but greater sounding the louder you play it. Ghostface was singing here and you gotta love the hook done by Trife and verse by Cappadonna. Give it up for Cappadonna because he came back to life on this album.

Dogs of War-5/5-Hey 2 bangers in a row! Solid beat with great verses from every member, including Ghostface's son, Sun God. Tough to skip this track.

Barbershop-4/5-Another track that should have been longer. The intro at the beginning was a great lead in to the verse by Ghostface. Should have been 2x as long. Still solid though.

Ms. Sweetwater-Leads in to Big Girl

Big Girl-5/5-With this song, you have a very busy beat with Ghostface speaking on life's troubles, basically. Love the soulful beat, remind me of Holla off the Pretty Toney album (also a fantastic track.) This song fits in none at all to tracks like Clips of Doom, Jellygish, or Dogs of War, so it may feel a bit out of place.

Underwater-5/5-Fantastic! A wonderful beat by MF Doom. This song screams creativity, unlike any other song you've heard. Ghostface is underwater and describes, in detail only Pretty Toney can use, what is going on above him. Excellent track.

The Ironman Takeover-Skit

Momma-2.5/5- Boring track to me. Beat isn't very nice at all. A shame, because Ghostface had good stories here as well.

Three Bricks-2/5- Very poor beat, with a West Coast feel to it. This type of beat does not belong, especially with 3 East Coast Rappers. BIG doesn't impress me as he never really has made my jaw drop. Ghost and Rae I can't really speak about because i've only listened to the song once. A poor way to end the album.

To conclude, I'll say that this is the 3rd best effort from Dennis Coles. The production is tickling at times and disappointing in about 3 tracks. To me, without Three Bricks, Clips of Doom, and Momma, I am labeling this thing damn near classic. With these 3 tracks I bring the rating down. Any Wu fan will enjoy or love this CD. Go buy it now!

8.5/10

bg357
04-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Hello, I'm french, I Love the Hip-Hop and especially Wu-Tang.
I bought Fishscale yesterday and this album is very good. My favourite tracks are Shakey Dog, 9 Milli Bros (Good Prod by Metal Fingers), R.A.G.U, Be Easy & Barbershop. But all the album is sick, only one regret, too much skits because I don't understand all he say. Peace

Jeremy94
04-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Hello, I'm french, I Love the Hip-Hop and especially Wu-Tang.
I bought Fishscale yesterday and this album is very good. My favourite tracks are Shakey Dog, 9 Milli Bros (Good Prod by Metal Fingers), R.A.G.U, Be Easy & Barbershop. But all the album is sick, only one regret, too much skits because I don't understand all he say. Peace

Hahaha a Rap2k's boy
Welcome, bienvenue!

bg357
04-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Hahaha a Rap2k's boy
Welcome, bienvenue!

Hello Jérémy :hooray:
ca m'étonne pas de te voir ici

ShaolinDarts
04-13-2006, 06:26 AM
02. Shakey Dog 10/10
03. Kilo (Feat. Raekwon) 08/10
04. The Champ 10/10
06. 9 Milli Bros. (Feat. Wu-Tang Clan) 09/10
07. Beauty Jackson 10/10
09. Columbus Exchange (Skit)/Crack Spot 10/10
10. R.A.G.U. (Feat. Raekwon) 10/10
11. Bad Mouth Kid (Skit)
12. Whip You With A Strap 10/10
13. Back Like That (Feat. Ne-Yo) 5/10
14. Be Easy (Feat. Trife) 2/10
15. Clipse Of Doom (Feat. Trife) 8/10
16. Jellyfish (Feat. Cappadonna, Shawn Wigs & Trife) 8/10
17. Dogs Of War (Feat. Raekwon, Trife, Cappadonna & Sun God) 10/10
18. Barbershop 10/10
20. Big Girl 10/10
21. Underwater 10/10
23. Momma (Feat. Megan Rochell) 2/10
24. Three Bricks (Feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Raekwon)
(Bonus Track) n/a

A couple of songs I don't like but otherwise a great album by Ghost - 8.5/10

french dirty bastard
04-22-2006, 06:38 AM
Well,I'm can't wait for that album, as I loved "supreme clientele",and as your reviews rae talking good abt it... But Im gonnaa download it, I think, cause it's not gonna arive in France before a while, and I got no money at all.. fuck that.
What about the track with ol'dirty,is he as good as he has always been? I love that man, Ol' dirty you stay number one for me. and WU is still bustin "ANY MUTHAFUCKIN'CONTENDER!!!"
peace

french dirty bastard
04-22-2006, 06:41 AM
hey bg357!!! French connection around the world by the Clan... That's tight. T 2 Paris? Moi je suis sur Nantes.Il é sorti kan en France le Ghostface?Anyway,g pa les thunes du tt,dc...

61stkillah
04-22-2006, 01:15 PM
good album, must be platinum
________
Acrylic Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com)

IRAN
04-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Just got it on Saturday, pure class.

andy_gza
04-25-2006, 03:08 PM
still listenin to it for the first time, now up to big girl, So far I like 9 milli bros and jellyfish the best

Machete
04-26-2006, 06:08 AM
I like on the track BE EASY Ghost ends his lines with "Ugh". That shit is nice.

RAHILL
04-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Excellent. Alot better than Pretty Tony. More passionate, although a couple of songs could be done without. (Momma, 3 Bricks. Both unneccessary).

ShaDynasty
04-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I like on the track BE EASY Ghost ends his lines with "Ugh". That shit is nice.
ONE OF THE BEST ON THE ALBUM
pete is good with beats

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
04-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Excellent. Alot better than Pretty Tony. More passionate, although a couple of songs could be done without. (Momma, 3 Bricks. Both unneccessary).

THEY'RE ALLOT RIGHT I FEEL U THERE

Oztradamus
05-01-2006, 03:58 AM
I agree about the cover^^^. But ultimately it doesnt matter. Just found this thread and decided to re-post my review in case some one gives a shit.

1. Intro-funny, still trying to figure out what exactly is being said.

2. Shakey Dog-10/10 This song set it off for me. I went and bought the CD and was sitting in my car looking at the cover art and shit as the intro was playing. Then as soon as I pull out to leave Shakey Dog comes and he said “buckle up…fasten your seatbelts” as I was putting on my seat belt to drive out of there. The synchronicity was perfect and right then I knew this album was going to do me right. This one had a real Theodore Unit feel for me which I liked.

3. Kilo-9/10 The only reason I give it a 9 I think is because I’m not into coke or whatever. Love the wa-wa guitar and girls singing “Kilo is 1000 grams, easy to remember”. The lyrics are sick and the girls singing kind of remind me of something off sesame street or something, but in a good way. Then the colors listed, “gold tops, green tops..” also reminds me of something kidish. Like the learn your ABC’s for the powder game, if that makes any sense. Good song.

4. The Champ-10/10 I love the guitar on this song and the samples of the guy coaching the champ. Great changes too. This song really makes me want to move my head. One of my favorites for sure. Ladies and gentlemen this song is the champ.

5. Major Operation Skit is effective.

6. 9 Milli Bros-9/10 This is an official Wu-Tang head banger. Enough said.

7. Beauty Jackson-9/10 Not my most favorite song, but I give it a 9 cause Im not usually into the slower/love type songs but I really like the visuals the lyrics give me. Sexy song and I like the fact that it wasn’t drawn out. In and out….works for me.

8. Heart Street Directions Skit-funny. I can picture him just fucking around recording this and deciding to put it on the album cause it was entertaining.

9.Columbus Exchange/Crack Spot-10/10. Crack Spot is a good one. I love the beat and the changes, the fills with the bongo type sounding drums. Cant find anything I don’t like about it.

10. R.A.G.U.-10/10 Definitely one of the better songs on this album. I love the beat, the orchestra type sample in the background, the way the beat cuts out to add to the dynamics of the song. Rae rips it up.

11. Bad Mouth Kid Skit-shit cracks me up, I wonder who’s kid that is saying all that.

12. Whip You With A Strap- 10/10. I love the sample on this…Is that a man singing “when I was bad”? It notes Luther Ingram as the sample but it sounds like a lady to me. The lyrics and idea of this song really hit me for many reasons. This one is a favorite of mine as well.

13. Back Like That-7.5/10. Not the best in my opinion. I just don’t feel this one for some reason. I don’t think I really care for the Ne-Yo guy on it, he is not bad, just not for me. I pretty much skip past this one to be honest.

14. Be Easy-10/10 Hella good song. I love the circus like sample or whatever it is and the build up into the song and in the middle. Trife is hitting homeruns in my opinion.

15. Clipse of Doom-10/10 This one is a home run as well. I love the gritty guitar samples and the beat, rolls and dynamics of this song. Gotta love Trife. I don’t know how everyone has been feeling about this one but if it hasn’t been getting love than I would call you all crazy. An absolute classic in my opinion.

16. Jellyfish- 8/10 I don’t know why this one doesn’t hit me real hard. Maybe cause its kind of a love type song. The beat is really good but there is something I cant really put my finger on that I don’t like about it. Still good though.

17. Dogs of War-9/10 Like the 70’s feel of it and the over all flow of the song. Good lyrics too but there is something a little unexciting about it for some reason (sorry for not elaborating more).

18. Barbershop-10/10 A classic. Funny intro, great build up into the beginning. I love the beat and rolls. Probably one of the most interesting songs on the album as far as the beat goes. Great awkward hits on certain spots on the high hat sound, chops it up nicely. Got nothing but good things to say about this song.

19.Ms. Sweetwater was no where to be found. Hee hee.

20. Big Girl-10/10 Every woman should have this song in her car, home stereo or what not. This one has been comforting to me with some personal shit I’ve been going through. Makes me feel capable and hopeful, no cheez. Great song.

21. Underwater 9/10 Like the imagery this song brings up. The weird flute sample type thing is effective and sounds dream like too. Ghost did a great job of making you feel under water. I felt like I had heard this song before for some reason. Like it was bringing up old dreams I’ve had or something.

22 & 23. Ironman for president….Momma-7/10 Just don’t feel this one. It is maybe growing on me a little but all in all it’s a toss up between this and Back Like That as my least favorite songs. That Megan Rochell has a great voice but nothing about this song excites me.

24. bonus track Three Bricks- 10/10 A lot of times I listen to this one first and then listen to the rest of the album so I can hear it twice. Glad they chose this to be on the album as a bonus. The beat is fucking incredible! This would be a hard one for me to reproduce and I respect that greatly. Not predictable at all. The dynamics are killer and of course it is great to hear The Notorious B.I.G. and Raekwon tearing the shit up. I find it hard to believe that anyone could find anything negative to say about this song. Fantastic.

Excellent Review Krizy

REP

Oztradamus
05-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Best Album of the year (2006)..... So far

12weLvE
05-01-2006, 02:51 PM
^^ I agree, lets see what Cuban Linx 2 has in store for us...

crass
05-02-2006, 03:21 AM
great album. i love Beauty Jackson. what a sick beat! i also like how ghost starts off calm and he gets more intense at around :27 when he goes "Sweetie call me tony starks"

5/5 album

Luther Large
05-02-2006, 02:56 PM
i finally fuckin recieved it a month later but yeah it's good right now but i know it will grow on me my ragu and big girl are really good songs

and i hate to admit it but i really like the sing "back like that" am i the only 1??

and i dont like be easy i just aint feelin it

i'll give it time to grow on me then i'll post a full review

444trumpets
05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Back like that is the cut!

Luther Large
05-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Back like that is the cut!

word up man alot of these kids hate on back like that cuz of ne-yo and it sounds R&B but that song is very very well written by ghost and it's executed perfectly for a "love song"

i love the opening too and the soulful vibe it has is ill

fuck that i aint ashamed to admit it i dont even know why i said that probly cuz so much radio songs are shit now

but I LOVE "BACK LIKE THAT" AND I"M PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!

CharlesJones
05-02-2006, 04:56 PM
I listened to Fishscale last week for the first time and i think it's tight. I didn't like Back Like That at first but it grew on me and now i like it.

GanzEinfach
05-03-2006, 09:06 AM
A german review: http://laut.de/lautstark/cd-reviews/g/ghostface_killah/fishscale/index.htm
, Fishscale got 5/5 for me it is a very good album but not a 5/5 Album i'd say 4,5/5, my favourite is Kilos so far, don't know why people don't like this song.

diesel
05-07-2006, 01:16 PM
this is my list of ghosts best cds
1 supreme clientele
2 ironman
3 fishscale
4 bulletproof wallets
5 pretty toney

Luther Large
05-07-2006, 05:12 PM
this is my list of ghosts best cds
1 supreme clientele
2 ironman
3 fishscale
4 bulletproof wallets
5 pretty toney

lol those are ghosts only cd's

all dope tho

Wu-Tality
05-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Fishscale got 4/5 stars in one of the biggest newspapers in the Netherlands (it's also a newspaper for the smarter people).

Stadium Arcadium got 3/5 lol.

THE W
05-18-2006, 01:58 PM
poll for fishscale

venex
05-18-2006, 01:58 PM
where is it ?

Frank Drebin
05-18-2006, 04:04 PM
i loved the album the first 100 times or so i listened to it then a few things started annoying me. I think there are songs on the album which are amazing "Shaky dogs, Kilos, Jellyfish, Be Easy" but the album aint got a nice flowing pattern if you ask me. Also I think the beats get monotonous but I aint really a huge fan of Metal Fingaz so that could be the reason

Eddie Bronze
05-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Ghost set such a high standard, in my eyes, he'll never touch it again. Ironman and Supreme Clientele, then Wallets. He was on a level back then he'll never get to again. I know some people will hate me for saying that, but that's just my taste. Fishscale is nothing compared to those and even on it's own isn't as good as I was hoping.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-26-2006, 12:48 AM
just looking over this thread again, reminds how overrated the album was and how dissapointed i was to hear the "dope" "back like that"

album was a banga none the less

jesu2046
05-31-2006, 12:22 PM
bar one or two songs i think it's fucking great.

yet another review for anyone who's interested: http://www.scenepointblank.com/reviews/805

TUCO
05-31-2006, 12:27 PM
i just cant get this to grow on me
i just skip thru.....still think its a great album but i dunno....it broke my Ghostface tradition (cuz all his albums grow on me lol)

Ghost Deini
06-05-2006, 02:51 AM
I Dunno I still like the album, still bumping it. Favorite tracks after having the album for a while. Like Tuco said, it didn't really grow on me like Pretty Toney did but I liked it from the beginning so *shrug*.

R.A.G.U.
Crackspot
Kilo
Barbershop
The Champ
Jellyfish
Dogs of War (Sun God is ill)

famenchuan
06-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Great Album

Favorite tracks- Shakey Dog, Kilos, Champ, Ragu, Crack Spot, Big Girl

Orion Nebulus
06-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Its an average album at best. Theres songs on here I end up skipping. Dont get me wrong there were a couple joints on here that were dope...like "ragu" and "underwater" to name a few. All of the dope songs were a mere 2 min. This album just didnt grow on me.....which I didnt expect anyway. I feel his joint with MF Doom "swift and changeable" will be a better album.

ShaDynasty
06-22-2006, 03:05 PM
people still hating on this album need to step back, not listen to it for a year or 2, then when you hear it again hopefully you realize its a classic

Orion Nebulus
06-22-2006, 05:02 PM
LOL...calling this album a classic is going waaayyy too overboard.

Hollow Dartz
06-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Shakey Dog - Shit is a nice intro, nice storytelling by Ghost. 4/5
Kilo - I wasn't feeling this at first but it got dope after a while. 4/5
Be Easy - Nice solo track should be next single. 4/5
9 milli Bros - So many errors...every verse is emailed. Deck's verse is recycled....I cant listen to this shit after Meth verse. 3.5/5
Beauty Jackson- nicee lill story 4/5
Jelly Fish - This shit is nice too much singing 4/5
Crack Spot - This shit is hot right here. 4.5/5
R.A.G.U. - Classsic! 5/5
Strap - Real shit right here. 4.5/5
Back Like That - Skipped track. 3.5/5
The Champ- Beat is weak right here not really feeling at all. 3.5/5
Dogs of War - Shit is nice right here 4.5/5
Three Bricks - Classic 5/5
Barber Shop- Nice. 4/5
Clipse of doom - fire right here. 4.5/5
Big Girl - This shit is nice but skippable - 4/5
MOMMA- SHIT IS WACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT FEELING!!!!!! - 2.5/5
underwater - Nice flow and beat listen to this.. 4.5/5

Beats - 4/5
Lyrics - 4/5
Overall - 4/5

McTom
06-27-2006, 04:18 AM
Fishscale got 4/5 stars in one of the biggest newspapers in the Netherlands (it's also a newspaper for the smarter people).

Stadium Arcadium got 3/5 lol.

haha, 'smarter people'.... was it in NRC or Volkskrant?

Wu-tang Fan
06-27-2006, 04:34 AM
9 Milli Bros verses were E-mailed!!?? What does that mean?

Razorsharp
06-27-2006, 04:36 AM
9 Milli Bros verses were E-mailed!!?? What does that mean?

they probably mean they recorded wherever they were at, and then they send the clip of their acapella/verse to gfk

ShaDynasty
06-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Shakey Dog - Shit is a nice intro, nice storytelling by Ghost. 4/5
Kilo - I wasn't feeling this at first but it got dope after a while. 4/5
Be Easy - Nice solo track should be next single. 4/5
9 milli Bros - So many errors...every verse is emailed. Deck's verse is recycled....I cant listen to this shit after Meth verse. 3.5/5
Beauty Jackson- nicee lill story 4/5
Jelly Fish - This shit is nice too much singing 4/5
Crack Spot - This shit is hot right here. 4.5/5
R.A.G.U. - Classsic! 5/5
Strap - Real shit right here. 4.5/5
Back Like That - Skipped track. 3.5/5
The Champ- Beat is weak right here not really feeling at all. 3.5/5
Dogs of War - Shit is nice right here 4.5/5
Three Bricks - Classic 5/5
Barber Shop- Nice. 4/5
Clipse of doom - fire right here. 4.5/5
Big Girl - This shit is nice but skippable - 4/5
MOMMA- SHIT IS WACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT FEELING!!!!!! - 2.5/5
underwater - Nice flow and beat listen to this.. 4.5/5

Beats - 4/5
Lyrics - 4/5
Overall - 4/5
definetly think youre underating the album, its way more dope than 4/5
most of them joints are 5 star

Hollow Dartz
06-28-2006, 09:55 PM
LOL u gotta be kidding me.

Eddie
06-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Shits Crack

MrBrown
07-04-2006, 09:15 PM
This is by far Ghost's worst album. While I am a fan, Ghost made some critical mistakes on the album. On Bulletproof and Pretty Toney, GFK used many many skits. Well, on Fishscale he really killed the idea. Back to back skits really take away from the flow of the album. The beats he used, while good music, are too strange to get a hold on. This album requires me to constantly skip songs and re arrange the order myself.

While GFK has had the best solo career of the Clan this album is less than expected.

Professor Poopsnagle
07-05-2006, 01:22 PM
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/4921/gayle1sp.jpg

deadlymelody
07-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Ghostface & T.I. together YAYYYYY

Blaque_Ravage
07-07-2006, 02:48 AM
LOL@that Ghostface and T.I. package....

But WTF,only one video of the album and 2 singles...I really hope there is at least one more single/video.To many good tracks on this album!

wufan10304
07-08-2006, 05:59 PM
i think the album is mad dope. its funny how everyone begs for a ghost album, then when he drops something, people disect that shit apart like ghost cant do shit thats hot. i give it a 4.5/ 5 its not to many skits. the shit flows good. i think having those funny skits, it shows ghosts personality. it was alot of skits on SC too. and as far as ghost rapping over old Doom beats, who gives a fuck. shits still hot

famenchuan
07-11-2006, 10:01 AM
I was just listening tot his album and noticed that this album is fucking ill unitl you get to Back like that and thats where it falls off.

Back like that is not bad but I thought it could of done with out it.
Be Easy ^
Clipse of Doom has a horrible beat.
Jelly Fish has another horrible beat
Dogs of war ^
Three Bricks not a horrible beat but not good. Rae verse is fire though.
I also was not feeling Momma.
The lyrics were great in these songs but the beats are just really bad in my opinion.

They should of left a few of these songs out and added charlie brown and put the whole version of barbershop in.

Leo Angel
07-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Average album for me, but still better than Pretty Toney, which was the worst Ghost album to date.

TSA
07-12-2006, 02:56 PM
great album, only problem i had was there's not to many stand out tracks, but all tracks are good, pretty toney is the opposite, with A LOT of stand outs, but some are great some are shit, otherwise, great album.

wutanghk
07-16-2006, 07:50 AM
i'll give this album 3.5/5,I do like this album really but i think there's something wrong with the songs flowing pattern of the album,i do feel a bit boring when i keep repeat listening to all songs in the album.
i miss that voice he rap in "Enter the Wu Tang(36 Chamber)"...

tacle
07-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Ain't heard the album, probably never will, but 9 Milli Bros i was pretty impressed with, the beat is sick as, and the the flow is really served well on that beat.

whipsandfullclips
07-21-2006, 11:32 AM
well this is a wu website so what should i expect. fishscale sucks, plain and simple. u dick riders make me wanna :r

beardman
07-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Wack... Sorry guys, as much as i like wu, this album is wack!
________
Mercedes-Benz W208 specifications (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W208)

Freeway Part:ll
07-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Def classic to me.

abasi
07-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Not a classic but very good
I think if u take certain songs off of 213, fishscale and pretty tony u could have a classic

Ghost Deini
07-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Still bangin this shit! Shakey Dogg = illness.

UNCLE RUCKUS
07-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Yeah its a banger! "ayo Rae I cant feel my face.. who dat Cappin Kirk?" hahah love underwater

milhouse75
07-29-2006, 09:15 PM
i think this is a dope album!

so many dope trakcs
-shakey dog
-kilo
-the champ
9 milli bros
-whip you with a strap
-back like that (commercial, but the wu needs that. plus it's classic ghost talking about heartbreak)
-underwater
-be easy
-momma
-three bricks

the only thing i would change is the artwork and the placement of songs. some songs just feel awkward next to one another

UNCLE RUCKUS
07-29-2006, 09:54 PM
yeah and you didnt even mention RAGU and thats the best joint ! I´m also feelin Clipse Of Doom and Barbershop

6what131
08-16-2006, 06:49 AM
The Return Of Clyde Smith [Skit]
Shakey Dog-8/10, classic ghost song, nice way to start off the album
Kilo-7.5/10, good song, but over-hyped on wu-corp
The Champ-9.5/10, im james bond in the octagon, ghost killed this song and i love the beat. its perfect 4 ghost
Major Operation [Skit]
9 Milli Bros.-8/10, i want to give it a 10 but is only worthy of an 8
Beauty Jackson-9/10, i love the way ghost leaves you fiening for more
Heart Street Directions [Skit]
Crack Spot-8/10, nice track
R.A.G.U.-10/10, rae and ghost= the coat of duos. pete rock came trough with this beat
Bad Mouth Kid [Skit]
Whip You With A Strap-10/10, great lyrics + great beat by dilla=classic
Back Like That-8/10, good radio and mtv song. im not gonna hate on it
Be Easy-8/10, another nice pete rock collabo
Clipse Of Doom-10/10, alot of people hate the beat but i love it. ghost murder this track 3 times over
Jellyfish-8.5/10, ssssuuugggaaarr leeettss get it oooonnnnn!
Dogs Of War-8.5/10, dope theodore cut
Barbershop-8/10, again he leaves you wanting more
Ms. Sweetwater [Skit]
Big Girl-10/10, i love it when ghost raps over those old soul songs
Underwater-10/10, what the fuck did i just listen 2????
The Ironman Takeover [Skit]
Momma-7/10, ok song to finishes the album

fishscale-8.7/10

really there are no bad tracks on fishscale. alot of good ones with greta ones mixed in. could be a classic with time in my book

shaolinsword
08-29-2006, 03:35 AM
only just got this album on saturday but the picture behind the CD has gotta be the most disgusting thing i've ever seen

McTom
08-29-2006, 04:06 AM
listening to Meths last effort, made me realise just how good Fishscale actually is. It surpasses 4:21 on every front imo. (though Meth is my favorite rapper!)

Rame
08-29-2006, 05:43 AM
that's true

Jim Kelly
08-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Banger. The most consistent artist in the Wu, not named GZA.

11th Chamber
08-30-2006, 02:20 AM
This album is incredible. I put it as his 3rd best album behind SC, and Ironman.

Fuck all yall haters

famenchuan
11-03-2006, 10:50 PM
I not rating it compared to his previous albums, just rating it from whaat I feel.

Shakey dog- 5/5 sick story
kilo- 5/5 love coc rap
champ- 5/5 gets me pumped up
9 milli brothers- 4/5
Columbus exchange- 5/5 gotta love that coc rap
Ragu- 6/5 sounds like a cuban linx track
Whip you with a strap- 5/5 another classic ghost story
Back like that- 3.5/5 If it was not for Ne yo this would of got a 4.5, Ghost tells a good story
Be easy- 4
Clipse of doom- 2.5 hate the beat
Jellyfish- 4/5 at first I hated this beat, it grew on me a lot
Dogs of war- 3.5 cool song, that guitar in the beat brings it down for me
Barbershop- 4.5/5 should of kept the whole song
Big girl- 5/5 love this shit
underwater-4/5 Ghost was experimenting, pretty cool
momma- 3/5 not my fav, not bad though
Three Bricks- 5/5 just because of raekwon's verse

Ghost never dissappoints me. i can honestly say I love all his albums. Cant wait for more fish and swift and changeable.

Lil' Ruger
11-03-2006, 10:59 PM
i voted for classic didnt get the recognition it deserved but for wu what else is new same wit 4:21.

RZArector_mnt
11-05-2006, 04:12 AM
good album if you ask me.
Ghostface - "Be Easy" (feat. Trife) is nice shit, excellent song

NY_Mami
11-11-2006, 07:52 PM
I loved it, the only flaw was that it had so many skits on it, but they were good skits especially heart street...

My favorite tracks

Crack Spot
9 Milli Bros.
Kilo
Barbershop
The Champ
Momma
Whip You With A Strap
R.A.G.U

This album, I have in rotation...

Rebel_INS
11-23-2006, 04:32 AM
1.The Return Of Clyde Smith - (Skit)
2.Shakey Dog - 4.5/5
3.Kilo - 5/5
4.The Champ - 5/5
5.Major Operation - (Skit)
6.9 Mili Bros - 5/5
7.Beauty Jackson - 5/5
8.Heart Street Directions - (Skit)
9.Columbus Exchange/Crack Spot - 5/5
10.R.A.G.U - 5/5
11.Bad Mouth Kid - (Skit)
12.Whip You With A Strap - 5/5
13.Back Like That - 4/5
14.Be Easy - 4/5
15.Clipse Of Doom - 5/5
16.Jellyfish - 4/5
17.Dogs Of War - 5/5
18.Barbershop - 4.5/5
19.Ms. Sweetwater - (Skit)
20.Big Girl - 5/5
21.Underwater - 4.5/5
22.Ironman Takeover - (Skit)
23.Momma - 5/5
24.Three Bricks - 5/5

Overall, Ghostface came with another dope. No weak tracks, some classics and the rest are good. Good lyrics and most of the production is dope!

liquid_1_
05-08-2007, 08:26 PM
The Return Of Clyde Smith -
Shakey Dog - 10/10 good fuckn track
Kilo - 10/10 "yo Rae I can't feel my face." best track imo
The Champ - 10/10 flawless
Major Operation -
9 Mili Bros - 10/10
Beauty Jackson - 10/10
Heart Street Directions -
Columbus Exchange/Crack Spot - 10/10
R.A.G.U - 10/10
Bad Mouth Kid -
Whip You With A Strap - 10/10
Back Like That - 9/10
Be Easy - 10/10
Clipse Of Doom - 9/10
Jellyfish - 10/10
Dogs Of War - 10/10
Barbershop - 10/10
Ms. Sweetwater -
Big Girl - 10/10
Underwater - 9/10
Ironman Takeover -
Momma - 10/10
Three Bricks - 10/10

177/180 i love this album. top 5 all time on my list.

UNCLE RUCKUS
05-23-2007, 07:35 AM
I loved it, the only flaw was that it had so many skits on it, but they were good skits especially heart street...

My favorite tracks

Crack Spot
9 Milli Bros.
Kilo
Barbershop
The Champ
Momma
Whip You With A Strap
R.A.G.U

This album, I have in rotation...

co-sign on those tracks +Big Girl, Underwater and Clipse of Doom, but I dont how anyone liked that Heart Street skit that wasnt even funny

djskillz
05-23-2007, 09:50 PM
8/10.

snakesonawiggly
09-22-2007, 01:51 PM
I love Ghostface and I think not only is this the Best Ghostface album but he best Rap Album in Seven Years. The album cover's about everything Relationship's (Back Like That,Beauty Jackson, Big Girls & Jellyfish) Club Banger (Be Easy) Battle Rap (The Champ) Possie Cuts (9 Milli Broes. & Dogs Of War) Childhood (Whip You with A Stap) Surrealty (Underwater) Life of a drug kingpin (Kilo & Three Bricks) and Hood Saga Track (Shakey Dog, Crack Spot, R.A.G.U., Barbershop, & Clipse Of Doom). The thing this album got right is how to properly use Skits to step up the tracks before them (Major Operation, Columbus Exchange, Bad Moth Kid & Ms. Sweetwaters) or playoff the rack before them (Heart streert Directions). There reallys not a bad track on the albumt hat just furthers my theory that this is the best rap album in the last seven years

Maxxx Millisecondz
09-22-2007, 03:05 PM
i say it's definitely up there with Ironman and Supreme Clientele. I was waiting for him to start fuckin with Doom. I just knew it would happen eventually.

The 13th Jewel
09-23-2007, 12:38 AM
^^Ya I cant wait for Swift and Unchangeable, Ghost is on fire right now i dont see how that album can be disappointing.

d fresh
09-28-2007, 07:16 PM
beside clipse of doom, no other song really moved me

claaa7
12-09-2007, 12:09 PM
01 - Shakey Dog (4.5/5)
02 - Kilos (4/5)
03 - The Champ (4/5)
04 - 9 Milli. Bros (4.5/5)
05 - Beauty Jackson (5/5)
06 - Crackspot (4/5)
07 - R.A.G.U. (5/5)
08 - Whip You With A Stap (5/5)
09 - Back Like That (3.5/5)
10 - Be Easy (4/5)
11 - Clipse Of Doom (3.5/5)
12 - JellyFish (3/5)
13 - Dogs of War (4/5)
14 - Barbershop (5/5)
15 - Big Girl (4/5)
16 - Underwater (5/5)
17 - Momma (5/5)
18 - Three Bricks (3.5/5)

Overall: 4.5/5

Krish
12-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Ghostface Killah brings us his fifth album 'FISHSCALE'.

1. The Return of Clyde Smith - (4.5/5) Clyde Smith is OFFICIALLY back.

2. Shakey Dog - (5/5) Ghostface kills the mic and production is bangin courtesy of Lewis Parker.

3. Kilo Feat. Raekwon - (4.5/5) Did you know this joint was about drugs? LOL. Ghost & Rae do best at what they do which is rap about drugs. Nice production and the chorus is very catchy "A kilo is a thousand grams, it's easy to remember".

4. The Champ - (5/5) AMAZING beat by Just Blaze and Ghost lets everyone know that he is THE CHAMP.

5. Major Operation (Skit) - (4/5) Another skit about a Major Operation....hmmmm.

6. 9 Milli Bros. Feat. Wu-Tang Clan - (5/5) Nice posse cut by the clan and the rolling piano loop by MF Doom is a nice backdrop to the rapping. This song makes you want to smile and in some cases want to shout 'WU-TANG IS THE ANSWER'.

7. Beauty Jackson - (5/5) Produced by the one and only J Dilla (R.I.P). Although it is short the amazing production by J Dilla compliments Ghosts rapping and the song turns out to be VERY successful.

8. Heart Street Directions (Skit) - (5/5) HAHAHAHA OMG THIS IS FUNNY SHIT. My man balls is out there...LOL.

9. Columbus Exchange" (Skit) / "Crack Spot - (4.5/5) This is surprisingly good because the abrupt start of the song and the production is NICEEE.

10. R.A.G.U. Feat. Raekwon - (100,000,000/5) but for the sake of the review (5/5) This song has got to be the dopest song EVER. Pete Rock drops a MUTHAF***** of a head banging beat on some vintage Cuban Linx shit. CLASSIC material. This songs OWNS. PERIOD.

11. Bad Mouth Kid" (Skit) - (4/5) LOL. Little kid bad mouths Ghost. (Not a wise option unless you want to pick up pieces of your teeth from the street). Not as good as 'Heart Street Directions' but still kinda funny.

12. Whip You With a Strap - (5/5) DOPE. Ghost reminisces his youth as J Dilla drops another addictive gem.

13. Back Like That Feat. Ne-Yo - (4/5) Now i don't usually listen to this RnB bullshit that comes on the radio so often but this song is actually pretty good. In fact the song is very well executed and Ne-Yo doesn't come off like a fag but instead drops a nice chorus. The production is also MUCH better than your average song and this song definitely has chemistry.

14. Be Easy Feat. Trife - (4.5/5) Many people think that Pete Rock's production is boring on this track but i think the complete OPPOSITE of this. His drums (which are like top notch) bang hard and the horns provide a nice tune which Ghost and Trife get busy on. Official HEADBANGER.

15. Clipse of Doom Feat. Trife - (4.5/5) People also think that the production here is bad but in my opinion the track is FIRE. MF Doom provides a killer guitar stroke on which Ghost & Trife spit lyrical heat.

16. Jellyfish Feat. Theodore Unit - (5/5) Sounding 'quite Camay-ish' and I am really diggin the plucked bass lines here. Nice cut with Theodore Unit and surprisingly Cappadonna spits a hot verse.

17. Dogs of War Feat. Raekwon & Theodore Unit - (5/5) HOT SHIT. Pete Rock drops a jewel in which he cleverly uses the Sly Stones 'Family Affair' sample. Everyone including Sun God (Ghosts Son) packs heat on this track.

18. Barbershop - (5/5) Ghost getting a haircut and spitting straight hardcore lyrics. NICE.

19. Ms. Sweetwater (Skit) - (4/5) Mr Starks is missing his key. NOOOOOOOO!!!

20. Big Girl - (4.5/5) I can't believe that Ghost actually produced this one. Most rappers who do this miserably fail but Ghost cooks up some lovely soul and rhymes over it.

21. Underwater - (5/5) AMAZING & WEIRD. If i said this on a normal hip-hop album it would be shit but come on... this is Ghostface Killah were talking about. MF Doom creates an atmospheric, hazy track in which Ghostface uses some dope lyrics. 'Spongebob in the Bentley Coupe, Bangin the Isleys,'.

22. The Ironman Takeover (Skit) - (4/5) Ironman takes over. No, seriously.

23. Momma Feat. Megan Rochell - (4/5) This track also gets a lot of criticism but I have to admit I quite like this. Could have been better if she wasn't actually on it but oh well.

24. Three Bricks Feat. The Notorious B.I.G. & Raekwon (Bonus Track) - (3.5/5) Im guessing this was meant to be on Biggies 'Duets' and quite rightly so it should be. The production is too programmed for my liking and it doesn't end the album as it should do but at the end of the day it is a bonus track so I couldn't really give a flying f***.

114.5/120 = CLASSIC

GHOSTFACE KILLAH IS OFFICIALLY BACK!!! I love this album because the production absolutely OUT OF THIS WORLD and after two average albums Ghostface Killah packs STRAIGHT HEAT into this album. I know that most of you will think i am crazy but In my opinion i think this is on par with Supreme Clientele and in some cases better. This has got to be one of my favourite albums and one of Ghosts best since Ironman.

PoisonousDarT36
12-12-2007, 09:51 PM
this is Ghost's most overrated album IMO...the only true standouts are Shakey Dog, which is really nice storytelling, vivid details and all with a nice beat to go with Ghost's delivery, which is amazing on the song, and The Champ, which is another masterpiece by Just Blaze and Ghost kills it. 9 Milli Bros, Be Easy, Clipse of Doom (not a good beat but Ghost's third verse especially is insane), and RAGU are great tracks too, but there are weak spots popping up throughout. Beauty Jackson is average and too short, Back Like That is alright but is an obvious attempt at commercial success, Jellyfish has a wack beat and is average at best, Barbershop seems unnecessary, Big Girl has a nice message but the song itself is boring, Momma has annoying singing, and Three Bricks is way worse than Niggas Bleed (why did it feature BIG's verse anyway). The album is a solid 3.5/5, but its replay value isn't great, and is less than More Fish imo. Still a solid album but not near classis status or even the best of 2006.

irish ins
01-19-2008, 07:21 PM
After listening to the Big Doe Rehab and 8 Diagrams for the past few weeks I decided to go back to and really listen to all the Ghosts albums in order. Maybe, it was that I had heard a few of the tracks prior to the release and the album lost its sound on me or maybe it was that I was listening to the same old music. Either way I over looked this album big time!!!!
Evere since I waited for the release of Supreme Clientele to drop over here in Ireland (before the internet became what it is) I used to love the build up to Wu albums release.
Bulletproof Wallets came and didn't dissapoint (that was even before I had heard the left over tracks.)
Pretty Toney, suffered because I had heard Ghost freestyle a few of the tracks prior to its release and by the time I had got the album had most of the tracks,but like Ghost albums a bit of time and the grow into the cohesive classics that become hard to split up to just listen to one song before humming the following tune.
As for Fishscale, in the build up to this album I had lower expectations with the announcement of no Rza beats.In addition to the tracks swarming around the net and every website claiming it to be a banger, by the time I had got the album I had this feeling of being short changed - like going to a movie and being told the ending just minutes before the plots climax.
As a result Fishscale came and went, quickly followed by More Fish which I felt had more of an underground album feel as I had little to no expectations. Gradually with time I began to appreciate More Fish and resent Fishscale as a bloated album which was geared for radio - Be easy, back like that, momma....
Although I've always kept the majority of the album on my i-pod I always found it was an album that I would just stick one song on repeat and forget about the album as a whole.
Anyway, after listening to BDR I've got to admit I went back to check and see if I had missed something along the way........YES!!!!
Shakey Dog no longer had the constant reminder of Ghost rhyming over Rae's beat (Pitbulls.) Kilo's was no longer some Dipset sounding track with a vocal sample. The Champ was no longer an attept to recreate a banger over the most aggressive track on the album and finally 9 milli bros wasn't the nightmare cut and paste track that had sub-consciously triggered my finger to hit the forward button.
Instead the album just flows with emotions and moods to boot, almost as eccentric as Ghost himself. The Doom tracks were no longer some "killer" karaoke but tracks like Clipse Of Doom have changed my opinions on Ghosts recycling of beats.
At the end of the album there was nothing to do but hit play and enjoy again, no longer was it a case of certain tracks being held out on there own, but instead the album has matured into another Ghost classic. 9.5/10

Hot Nipple
01-22-2008, 02:27 PM
sorry guys..but this is an average album

Asasasin
01-25-2008, 05:58 PM
this album ain't that great

Maccabee Ridah
09-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Fuckin classic!!! This is one of best Ghost's releases ever!!! I found dope at least 10 tracks!!!

Voted for CLASSIC!

P.E.A.C.E.

New Hills 36
05-28-2009, 07:06 PM
I love Ghost (dont we all?) and put Ironman and SC in the all time classic list (where is Ironman in this area btw) but I don't dig this album. 3 Bricks is a major exception although I see it gets much hate here. Personal taste is a funny thing isn't it.

claaa7
09-22-2009, 12:28 PM
dusted off this release yesterday and bumped it through once yesterday and then another time today with some added bonus tracks from original sessions that didn't make the final cut sprinkled in the mix ("Charlie Brown", replaced "Barbershop" with the original full length version - love the 2nd verse and hook, don't know why the fuck he would cut that out, "Chunky" and "Murda Goons" - all dope songs that would have benefited the album even more).

this album still bangs heavy, lyrically Ghost is true to form here, great storytelling on joints like 'Barbershop', 'Underwater', 'Whip You With A Strap', 'Beauty Jackson' and the obvious 'Shakey Dog'. the way he flexes his lyrical muscles on 'The Champ' is just ridiciolus; "I'm James Bond in the octagon with 2 razors" or "My arts is crafty darts while you stuck with 'Laffy Taffy' wondering how did y'all niggaz get pass me/ i've been doing this before NaS dropped the nasty!!" - ILLLLLL!!
the drug-theme and coca shit is heavy on this album too (hence the name, lol) and is probably Tony's most drugged out effort yet, wheter it's breaking down the game with Raekwon on the heavy but minimalistic 'Kilo' (some people complaining about this one but i've always liked it) or intimite drug stories about overdoses and undercovers on the soulful 'Crack Spot' (another joint that don't get enough praise).

the main problem with the album is that there is so many styles pushed into the 65 minutes and Tony rips all types of beats, from the weirdest MF DOOM beats, to heavy Pete Rock production to traditional R&B-flavoured jams like 'Momma' and 'Back Like That'. while it's all over the place it still can be looked at as Ghost showing off his diversity and it really ain't that much to complain about imo. some parts of the album could definitely have been EQ'd and mixed better though; for example the Clan cut sounds (as most of y'all already mentioned) very cut-and-paste except for Ghost, Rae's and Cappa's verses so half of the song seems kinda wasted despite the, in my opinion, extremely dope beat. "Jellyfish" is another throwaway and "Three Bricks" should have been placed on the Biggie Duets album rather than here. Still a very solid effort from Tony Starks and for some reason very overlooked on Wu-Tangs own site while every other publiciations praised the shit out of it, lol. Without a doubt one of the 10 best Wu-Tang albums between 2000-2009 as of yet.

4/5

theheavens
06-24-2010, 12:55 AM
"the magical mystery tour of rap," so said one critic. couldn't have said it better myself. dope album, versatile as hell

KJR
02-27-2013, 08:58 AM
I don't understand the somewhat lukewarm reception this album got here. Album is the shit!

pmack215
03-03-2013, 10:39 PM
how is there all this hate for "jellyfish"????

jellyfish was the first song i loved from this album. super dope unique beat that sounds like it sampled a tiny piece of some 70's shaft joint.
the 3 verses are ALL dope!!!!!

but yes, wiggs is wack on the hook.

KJR
03-04-2013, 07:33 AM
how is there all this hate for "jellyfish"????

jellyfish was the first song i loved from this album. super dope unique beat that sounds like it sampled a tiny piece of some 70's shaft joint.
the 3 verses are ALL dope!!!!!

but yes, wiggs is wack on the hook.

The verses are solid enough, I don't know about "dope". You're right though, I love the tune. It works perfectly fine within the context of the album.

Don Universo
01-28-2014, 12:08 AM
3rd best Ghost album. Superior!