PDA

View Full Version : The Educational System Was Designed to Keep Us Uneducated and Docile ....

iniquity
02-21-2006, 03:56 PM
It's no secret that the US educational system doesn't do a very good job. Like clockwork, studies show that America's schoolkids lag behind their peers in pretty much every industrialized nation. We hear shocking statistics about the percentage of high-school seniors who can't find the US on an unmarked map of the world or who don't know who Abraham Lincoln was.
Fingers are pointed at various aspects of the schooling system—overcrowded classrooms, lack of funding, teachers who can't pass competency exams in their fields, etc. But these are just secondary problems. Even if they were cleared up, schools would still suck. Why? Because they were designed to.

How can I make such a bold statement? How do I know why America's public school system was designed the way it was (age-segregated, six to eight 50-minute classes in a row announced by Pavlovian bells, emphasis on rote memorization, lorded over by unquestionable authority figures, etc.)? Because the men who designed, funded, and implemented America's formal educational system in the late 1800s and early 1900s wrote about what they were doing.

Almost all of these books, articles, and reports are out of print and hard to obtain. Luckily for us, John Taylor Gatto tracked them down. Gatto was voted the New York City Teacher of the Year three times and the New York State Teacher of the Year in 1991. But he became disillusioned with schools—the way they enforce conformity, the way they kill the natural creativity, inquisitiveness, and love of learning that every little child has at the beginning. So he began to dig into terra incognita, the roots of America's educational system.

In 1888, the Senate Committee on Education was getting jittery about the localized, non-standardized, non-mandatory form of education that was actually teaching children to read at advanced levels, to comprehend history, and, egads, to think for themselves. The committee's report stated, "We believe that education is one of the principal causes of discontent of late years manifesting itself among the laboring classes."

By the turn of the century, America's new educrats were pushing a new form of schooling with a new mission (and it wasn't to teach). The famous philosopher and educator John Dewey wrote in 1897:

Every teacher should realize he is a social servant set apart for the maintenance of the proper social order and the securing of the right social growth.

In his 1905 dissertation for Columbia Teachers College, Elwood Cubberly—the future Dean of Education at Stanford—wrote that schools should be factories "in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products...manufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

The next year, the Rockefeller Education Board—which funded the creation of numerous public schools—issued a statement which read in part:

In our dreams...people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hands. The present educational conventions [intellectual and character education] fade from our minds, and unhampered by tradition we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers or men of learning or men of science. We have not to raise up from among them authors, educators, poets or men of letters. We shall not search for embryo great artists, painters, musicians, nor lawyers, doctors, preachers, politicians, statesmen, of whom we have ample supply. The task we set before ourselves is very simple...we will organize children...and teach them to do in a perfect way the things their fathers and mothers are doing in an imperfect way.

At the same time, William Torrey Harris, US Commissioner of Education from 1889 to 1906, wrote:

Ninety-nine [students] out of a hundred are automata, careful to walk in prescribed paths, careful to follow the prescribed custom. This is not an accident but the result of substantial education, which, scientifically defined, is the subsumption of the individual.

In that same book, The Philosophy of Education, Harris also revealed:

The great purpose of school can be realized better in dark, airless, ugly places.... It is to master the physical self, to transcend the beauty of nature. School should develop the power to withdraw from the external world.

Several years later, President Woodrow Wilson would echo these sentiments in a speech to businessmen:

We want one class to have a liberal education. We want another class, a very much larger class of necessity, to forego the privilege of a liberal education and fit themselves to perform specific difficult manual tasks.

Writes Gatto: "Another major architect of standardized testing, H.H. Goddard, said in his book Human Efficiency (1920) that government schooling was about 'the perfect organization of the hive.'"

While President of Harvard from 1933 to 1953, James Bryant Conant wrote that the change to a forced, rigid, potential-destroying educational system had been demanded by "certain industrialists and the innovative who were altering the nature of the industrial process."

In other words, the captains of industry and government explicitly wanted an educational system that would maintain social order by teaching us just enough to get by but not enough so that we could think for ourselves, question the sociopolitical order, or communicate articulately. We were to become good worker-drones, with a razor-thin slice of the population—mainly the children of the captains of industry and government—to rise to the level where they could continue running things.

This was the openly admitted blueprint for the public schooling system, a blueprint which remains unchanged to this day. Although the true reasons behind it aren't often publicly expressed, they're apparently still known within education circles. Clinical psychologist Bruce E. Levine wrote in 2001:

I once consulted with a teacher of an extremely bright eight-year-old boy labeled with oppositional defiant disorder. I suggested that perhaps the boy didn't have a disease, but was just bored. His teacher, a pleasant woman, agreed with me. However, she added, "They told us at the state conference that our job is to get them ready for the work world…that the children have to get used to not being stimulated all the time or they will lose their jobs in the real world."

John Taylor Gatto's book, The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation into the Problem of Modern Schooling (New York: Oxford Village Press, 2001), is the source for all of the above historical quotes. It is a profoundly important, unnerving book, which I recommend most highly. You can order it from Gatto's Website, which now contains the entire book online for free.

The final quote above is from page 74 of Bruce E. Levine's excellent book Commonsense Rebellion: Debunking Psychiatry, Confronting Society (New York: Continuum Publishing Group, 2001).

* Those who dream are the sheep ... :rolleyes:

thelion1856
02-21-2006, 04:13 PM
this is true, i got a psychology teacher who says in France when there were slow kids in class they use to give them more homework and even MORE hours at school and triple or even quadruple the amout of work they made them do, while in the states they do the EXACT OPPOSITE, take the slow kids out of the class put them in a special ed class and give them even less homework. There is no way the kid will ever catch up to the rest of his class this way. Its made to keep the kid uneducated.

Aqueous Moon
02-21-2006, 04:35 PM
In his 1905 dissertation for Columbia Teachers College, Elwood Cubberly—the future Dean of Education at Stanford—wrote that schools should be factories "in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products...manufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

Brainwashing, training, and programming...this is on point.

Amerikkka must have the working class who will serve they meals, clean they houses, work in they factories...ect.

That is what capitalism stands on...everybody can't be educated, healthy and wealthy.

So, they train our seeds as early as possible. The public school system is a death trap.

dif de la rev
02-21-2006, 09:36 PM
it's called social engineering. where politicians psychologist and political philosophers with socialogist plan the future from a perspective of a caste system as in india when the aryans drove in and the dravidians left.

read about dewey from which we have the library system that guy was the engineer for the ed system. remember that use to track people in school for jobs and stuff now that just patronize and sell you complacency.

thelion1856
02-22-2006, 02:46 AM
Artist: Dead Prez
Album: Lets Get Free
Song: They Schools

Why haven't you learned anything?

Man that school shit is a joke
The same people who control the school system control
The prison system, and the whole social system
Ever since slavery, nawsayin?

[verse 1]
I went to school with some redneck crackers
Right around the time 3rd bass dropped the cactus album
But i was readin malcolm
I changed my name in '89 cleaning parts of my brain
Like a baby nine
I took a history class serious
Front row, every day of the week, 3rd period
Fuckin with the teachers had, callin em racist
I tried to show them crackers some light, they couldn't face it
I got my diploma from a school called rickers
Full of, teenage mothers, and drug dealin niggas
In the hallways, the popo was always present
Searchin through niggas possessions
Lookin for, dope and weapons, get your lessons
That's why my moms kept stressin
I tried to pay attention but they classes wasn't interestin
They seemed to only glorify the europeans
Claimin africans were only three-fifths a human being

Hook:
They schools can't teach us shit
My people need freedom, we tryin to get all we can get
All my high school teachers can suck my dick
Tellin me white man lies straight bullshit (echoes)
They schools aint teachin us, what we need to know to survive
(say what, say what)
They schools don't educate, all they teach the people is lies

You see dog, you see how quick these motherfuckers be to like
Be tellin niggas get a diploma so you can get a job
Knowwhatimsayin but they don't never tell you how the job
Gonna exploit you every time knowwhatimsayin that's why i be like
Fuck they schools!

[verse 2]
School is like a 12 step brainwash camp
They make you think if you drop out you aint got a chance
To advance in life, they try to make you pull your pants up
Students fight the teachers and get took away in handcuffs
And if that wasn't enough, then they expel y'all
Your peoples understand it but to them, you a failure
Observation and participation, my favorite teachers
When they beat us in the head with them books, it don't reach us
Whether you breakdance or rock suede addidas
Or be in the bathroom with your clique, smokin reefer
Then you know they math class aint important 'less you addin up cash
In multiples, unemployment aint rewardin
They may as well teach us extortion
You either get paid or locked up, the pricipal is like a warden
In a four year sentence, mad niggas never finish
But that doesn't mean i couldn't be a doctor or a dentist

Hook(first part of hook twice)

Cuz for real, a mind is a terrible thing to waste
And all y'all high class niggas with y'all nose up
Cuz we droppin this shit on this joint, fuck y'all
We gon speak for ourselves
Knowhatimsayin? cuz see the schools aint teachin us nothin
They aint teachin us nothin but how to be slaves and hardworkers
For white people to build up they shit
Make they businesses successful while it's exploitin us
Knowhatimsayin? and they aint teachin us nothin related to
Solvin our own problems, knowhatimsayin?
Aint teachin us how to get crack out the ghetto
They aint teachin us how to stop the police from murdering us
And brutalizing us, they aint teachin us how to get our rent paid
Knowhatimsayin? they aint teachin our families how to interact
Better with each other, knowhatimsayin? they just teachin us
How to build they shit up, knowhatimsayin? that's why my niggas
Got a problem with this shit, that's why niggas be droppin out that
Shit cuz it don't relate, you go to school the fuckin police
Searchin you you walkin in your shit like this a military compound
Knowhatimsayin? so school don't even relate to us
Until we have some shit where we control the fuckin school system
Where we reflect how we gon solve our own problems
Them niggas aint gon relate to school, shit that just how it is
Knowhatimsayin? and i love education, knowhatimsayin?
But if education aint elevatin me, then you knowhatimsayin it aint
Takin me where i need to go on some bullshit, then fuck education
Knowhatimsayin? at least they shit, matter of fact my nigga
This whole school system can suck my dick, beeyotch!!

SlightlySlightedFan
02-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Bump

LHX
02-22-2006, 02:24 PM
it wasnt DESIGNED to keep you uneducated and docile

it ENDED UP being a system that keeps people uneducated and docile

A HUGE DIFFERENCE

lets get wise and acknowledge this

stop trying to separate ourselves from the shit that we are clearly a part of

Frontal Lobotomy
02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
You hit the nail on the head there iniquity. The institution sure does everything you said. Something similar went down in England during the early Industrial Revolution, known as the tripartide system. Whereby the working classes were effectively repressed from free thinking in education, and were primed for work in the industry sector, while the middle classes were given every opportunity to pursue their academic careers by going to the likes of Oxford and Cambridge universities (something only affordable by those classes, also). Even Literature of the time was aimed to be repressive, and allowed very little in the way of free thinking, and particularly, that of thoughts provoking revolution.
The sad fact is, nothing changed even when they scrapped the tripartide system and went with 'comprehensive' education, as the comp system works on the local catchment areas, and has a very iffy distribution of government funds. So if you live in the quaint, middle class suburbs, you're gonna get a 'better' type of pupil, learning environment and even superior facilities. If you live in say, a council estate, the chances of you recieving the same type of education is little to none.
Another interesting fact before i finish. 92% of Oxford and Cambridge students went to fee-paying, private schools. I don't expect it's any different to the Ivy Leagues (if someone knows the statistic, let me know)

Easy

LHX
02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
every revolution in history has replaced a government with a government

iniquity
05-28-2009, 01:30 AM
:o

diggy
05-28-2009, 03:53 AM
Ya, I think eventually, most people realize the 'educational system' is not teaching relevant information to students.

PALEHORSE
05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
yea they took phonics out the classroom and replaced it with the look and see method combined with psychiatric drugs=dumbing down of our children. some schools are getting paid 500$ pper child that are on drugs like ritilan.

The Hound
05-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Yeah, you seppo's are pretty stupid.

DJ3RrqBqk14

LORD NOSE
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM

let us think about this

PALEHORSE
05-28-2009, 12:07 PM
thats why this revolution has to be peaceful and just a movement of mass refusal to cooperate with the system

PALEHORSE
05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
if they say we need permits and cant carry guns everyone should carry illegally, if they say wer have to wear seatbelts then no one wear seatbelts. fuck them and thier laws. no one get thier vaccines stop paying taxes shit like that

PALEHORSE
05-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Replace the government with self government

LORD NOSE
05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
if they say we need permits and cant carry guns everyone should carry illegally, if they say wer have to wear seatbelts then no one wear seatbelts. fuck them and thier laws. no one get thier vaccines stop paying taxes shit like that

the most effective thing we can do is to stop eating, stop paying for heat and electricity,shut everything off for months at a time - but then the tanks will roll down our blocks - having guns at this time will get us killed by soldiers with more powerful guns and if enough of us have guns, they'll drop bombs - the very first thing that needs to be done is changing the minds of the people and dropping the culture all together - the outcome of it all has to be in the minds of the people all at once -

RALPH WIGGUM
05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
thats why this revolution has to be peaceful and just a movement of mass refusal to cooperate with the system

There never was a peaceful revolution and there probably never will be, revolution means to replace a government by another one, and thus by force, just check the dictionnary definition and the past examples.

PALEHORSE
05-28-2009, 01:21 PM
definition: the abrupt overthrow of a government;a sudden change in a system.

diggy
05-28-2009, 01:29 PM

I think it is true because people try to change the government instead of changing their selves. People always see an external force as the cause of their problems, but it could be that the cause is internal.

What does that accomplish?

the most effective thing we can do is to stop eating, stop paying for heat and electricity,shut everything off for months at a time - but then the tanks will roll down our blocks - having guns at this time will get us killed by soldiers with more powerful guns and if enough of us have guns, they'll drop bombs - the very first thing that needs to be done is changing the minds of the people and dropping the culture all together - the outcome of it all has to be in the minds of the people all at once -

I think being a self-government like palehorse said is the best thing. Find a piece of land. Rule based on high principles. Make your own generator of electricity. Purify water. Teach through good books about self and righteousness, food, history, and the seven liberal arts and sciences.

That is a start.

RALPH WIGGUM
05-28-2009, 02:02 PM
definition: the abrupt overthrow of a government;a sudden change in a system.

In my dictionary, it involves the word violent. And if you want to overthrow a power, you can't do that by non-violence, because it has the guns, and it'll use them before it goes down. If you want to start a revolution, you must realize you'll face these guns.

RALPH WIGGUM
05-28-2009, 02:05 PM

Yes, but the power not only got the guns, he got the media, the educational system, you can drop the truth, people listen to the one they hear the most, the one they hear all the time, and they'll laugh at you even if you're telling the truth.

PALEHORSE
05-28-2009, 02:16 PM
In my dictionary, it involves the word violent. And if you want to overthrow a power, you can't do that by non-violence, because it has the guns, and it'll use them before it goes down. If you want to start a revolution, you must realize you'll face these guns.

but if those people holding the guns aka police and military come to some point of self realization and put the guns down, then what?

the outcome of it all has to be in the minds of the people all at once -

PALEHORSE
05-28-2009, 02:19 PM
what kind of world do WE want? you have to be educated to even approach this ?, thats why knowledge is the foundation.

RALPH WIGGUM
05-28-2009, 02:24 PM
but if those people holding the guns aka police and military come to some point of self realization and put the guns down, then what?

But these people are being fed every day byt some propaganda, every single day, they think they are understanding, they do what they're told, thinking its their choice, how could they believe you when you come to them dropping the truth, when they've been told all their life it was just lies only crazy extremists believed?

RALPH WIGGUM
05-28-2009, 02:26 PM
what kind of world do WE want? you have to be educated to even approach this ?, thats why knowledge is the foundation.

Knowledge is the foundation, but leading is necessary if you want a revolution, no revolution happenned without a leader.

PALEHORSE
05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
people who are self empowered and self determined dont need to be lead

LORD NOSE
05-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I think being a self-government like palehorse said is the best thing. Find a piece of land. Rule based on high principles. Make your own generator of electricity. Purify water. Teach through good books about self and righteousness, food, history, and the seven liberal arts and sciences.

That is a start.

yes it is - however, everyone that tried that, got labeled a pedophile,and or a terrorist -

the people have to become 100% dissatisfied

and the cry has to be all together

PALEHORSE
05-28-2009, 10:56 PM
we have to unite with the common goal being the truth

LORD NOSE
05-29-2009, 08:55 AM

thank you -

then whats next ?

will robots rebel too ?

if they replace those disloyal soldiers with robots, will the robots rebel too ?

20,25 years later maybe ?

LORD NOSE
05-29-2009, 09:02 AM

will those of us who want peace be able to agree with each other on the path to this peace we seek ?

at this stage, those who are stuck on that page of thinking that they don't need guidance will get picked off easily - the strongest soldiers need guidance and instruction in a time like this - sometimes fear can make you want to fight it alone

we have to unite with the common goal being the truth

the truth will divide us more than it unites us - culture unites the people but it cannot maintain the bond through the friction - so many different understandings of the same truth causes conflict also

lets focus on the bad parts, lets focus on the rot

when going to bite into an apple, you inspect it first
you look for rot, you spot it, you cut it out,and you have a peaceful time eating that apple

but our eyes have to be working properly in order for us to properly see the rot

360beatz
05-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Xf1QcHs4vGY

CharlesJones
05-29-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't really blame the principals and teachers for black schools being terrible. The bottom line is that most black kids don't wanna learn and they have no interest in school because it's boring to them. So you can't blame the principals and teachers for that. I hated school when i was going because i hated studying for tests, taking tests and doing homework. I also hated ignorant black boys dissing and laughing at me often but that's the bullshit that you gotta deal with at black schools. There's ignorant white kids too but they're not as bad as ignorant black kids. Ignorant black kids are always dissing and laughing at people. So how can good black kids that wanna learn be in a environment like that at school? It's impossible to learn at black schools when good black kids are being dissed all the time. School is a joke to me anyway because society tells poor blacks that in order for them to get a good job, they need a education. Even if you got a college degree, it's still hard to get a good job because you got some jobs that still discriminate against blacks. Plus why can't college be free? Rich whites know that poor blacks can't afford to go to college and that's why they charge so much money at these white colleges because they don't want poor blacks going to their schools because they wanna keep the schools segregated. There are a lot of black colleges but i wouldn't wanna go to them because i would have to deal with the same bullshit i dealt with in high school which is being laughed at and dissed.

RALPH WIGGUM
05-29-2009, 11:39 AM

They are the leaders.

PALEHORSE
05-29-2009, 04:00 PM
so we need a world full of leaders

Black Man
05-29-2009, 06:19 PM
so we need a world full of leaders

Peace.

True indeed, but there's people who want the Leader Follower scenario to stay intact. A follower will only tell you to follow, and a leader of a follower will never teach the follower to be a leader.

PALEHORSE
05-29-2009, 06:39 PM
if thats a leader, then we need to redefine what a leader is.

PALEHORSE
05-29-2009, 09:16 PM
thank you -

then whats next ?

will robots rebel too ?

if they replace those disloyal soldiers with robots, will the robots rebel too ?

20,25 years later maybe ?

skynet terminator shit. it not so funny because its a probability. the funny part is we are the ones building this program.

RALPH WIGGUM
05-30-2009, 09:18 AM
if thats a leader, then we need to redefine what a leader is.

A leader is everything the people wants to be and isn't, hes a the service at the people, he does what the people wants him to do, a good leader is leaded by the people.