PDA

View Full Version : Do the negatives of religion outweigh the positives?

check two
03-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I haven't been posting at the forum much lately, so sorry if there's already been a thread like this lately. I remember months back, when my buddy Noel did a thread where he discussed the negative impact religion has had over the years.

I was just wondering what people's views are concerning the postives and negatives of religion throughout history? I think there have been way too much negative happenings over things that nobody knows for sure what is fact or not. I'll expand more later. Proceed.

Aqueous Moon
03-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah, because most of the time religions don't teach people they just program them.

Religions are political but they pretend to be spiritual.

tajeco
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM
A lot of people have been killed in the name of religion. Pointless to me, I agree with religion when it helps people be positive and peaceful. It should erase hate, not create hate.

My First Timbs
03-14-2006, 03:10 PM
yes.

tajeco
03-14-2006, 04:18 PM
frankly their is no positive with religion. everything that you would consider positive about religion isnt even necesserely religious but common sense ideals. religion says you should luv thy brother...well no fucking shit people shouldnt need a special text to tell them that and they don't.

well said, I agree

GENERAL WISE
03-14-2006, 04:34 PM
REligion is a way of control, like Aqueous Moon said

but i truely believe that humankind has benefited and is benefiting from the organization religion brought to our world. We would never had created civilizations if religion weren't a factor.

dif de la rev
03-14-2006, 08:41 PM
religions let you in on human nature more than anything in their interaction with those not followers and those against. the negatives say to kill all non believers the good let god sort them out. religion were constructed to purport a way of life based on the handing down of whats good and bad to leave the world. but the missing of the teaching is leave the flesh not leave the earth. religion is to earth based for who needs another person to play middle man brtween you and god.

should listen to that track by lenny bruce called religion inc.

SlightlySlightedFan
03-15-2006, 11:35 AM
But it should be noted that the negatives will always outweigh the positives when dealing with any "real" choice of conscience.

I used to talk that shit about one outweighing the other, but realized later that those that religion would help would feel very differently over it. So, thinking instead of other people's benefit, I'll now say that religion ain't my cup o tea but for some it's a delicious mix of natural leaves that make they're lives better and surroundings make more sense.

The only thing I take issue with now is that religion is now and always has been used to amass great numbers to accomplish things so horrible that no single person could stomach them.

It's a slippery slope.