PDA

View Full Version : my school just knocked UNC out of the tournament!!!

ballistic
03-19-2006, 10:16 PM
GODDAMN...i'm speechless. my school, the george mason patriots, just beat perhaps the preeminent basketball program in the country, the tarheels, to get to the sweet 16....! thats inconceivable to me...jordan's alma mater, the defending national champions, chapel hill mystique...all crumbles in the face of the (unfortunately named) patriots. wow...i've always loved march madness, but i've never been a part of it...this is amazing. michigan state, then UNC...and the thing is, we're playing wichita state in the sweet 16, a team we've already beat once this season. so theoretically, we could wind up in the elite 8, facing UCONN! this is going to do so much for our recruiting too...this is exactly how gonzaga got to the level they are now.
never thought i would see MY mid-level school overcome THE tar heels...but i guess this is what the bracket season is really like...

TiKaL
03-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Get a grip homie,

North Carolina lost its top 7 scorers from last year.
Not to sound like a homer or anything, but the fact that UNC made it to the second round of the tournament is a story and a half right there. Their leading scorer from last year averaged 3.3 points.
When the NBA draft was taking place and you heard Tarheel after Tarheel being taken (in the first round of course) people wondered if they would make the NIT

Dont start getting cocky and talk about the Carolina mystic.
knocking off a over rated MSU team and a team full of Freshmen doesnt make you a powerhouse, ya know
George Mason is already a underdog against WSU and for good reason

however, when a mid major knocks off a top school, its USUALLY fun.
But things are gonna be alright at Chapel Hill. Trust me,
But I know how you feel and why you are so excited. My school, Valparaiso, did the same, years back

FrenchShin
03-20-2006, 01:35 AM
go Noah !

whitey
03-20-2006, 09:34 AM
GODDAMN...i'm speechless. my school, the george mason patriots, just beat perhaps the preeminent basketball program in the country, the tarheels, to get to the sweet 16....! thats inconceivable to me...jordan's alma mater, the defending national champions, chapel hill mystique...all crumbles in the face of the (unfortunately named) patriots. wow...i've always loved march madness, but i've never been a part of it...this is amazing. michigan state, then UNC...and the thing is, we're playing wichita state in the sweet 16, a team we've already beat once this season. so theoretically, we could wind up in the elite 8, facing UCONN! this is going to do so much for our recruiting too...this is exactly how gonzaga got to the level they are now.
never thought i would see MY mid-level school overcome THE tar heels...but i guess this is what the bracket season is really like...

you wouldnt happen to know an adam lobene that goes to your school? one of my boys from home.

Dirty Knowledge
03-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Wow big fucking deal... the thing to keep in mind about March Madness is that upsets are a part of it and will happen. You have your cinderella teams that do nothing but win one or two big games and then fade to obscurity. big deal. FSU beat Duke this year and look where they are. NIT with UM. Thing to remember my nigs, is:

joahkim noah.
taureen green.
lee humphreys.
al horford.
corey brewer.

Those boys from Florida taking it to the house!

ballistic
03-20-2006, 02:16 PM
of course upsets always happen in the tournament, but when its a mid-major team already on the brink of breaking out, its pretty important...and plus, when something like this happens and youre somewhat involved in it, it takes on a whole different form. its amazing...

yes, i'm aware UNC is a shadow of the team they were last year...but come on, its the fucking tar heels...they were ranked in the top 15 at the end of the season and had a win AT duke under their belts...and irrespective of their identity, thats a pretty impressive team to beat.

FSU is an ACC team who is always in the mix...so thats a bit incongruous. an average team in a powerful conference is equivalent to a top-level team in a mid-major conference. the seminoles are always at least vaguely competitive, so they pull off upsets every now and then...and because of their conference, they're always in a better position than any team in the mid-majors to get into the tournament.

i'm not saying that because of these two (big) wins, mason is going to be vaulted to the elite circle of teams in the country. but this does open the door to them being an omnipresent team in the NCAA tournament each year, which is exciting. recruiting should shoot up because of the publicity...but whatever happens, i'm enthralled with what has already happened...

baby jesus
03-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Just Imagine If Hofstra Would Of Made It, They Should Of Got In Over George Mason Anyway.

ballistic
03-20-2006, 03:04 PM
yeah, that bugs us mason people...that we lost to hofstra twice...like yes, we can knock out powerhouses michigan state and unc, but somehow hofstra had our number. but yeah, after our starting point guard nailed that hofstra guy in the balls in the conference semis, and we lost subsequently and then he was suspended, we thought it was over...according to karma it should have been, but i guess the NCAA gods had something else in mind. i am sympathetic for hofstra though...they got shafted. i still think we deserved a bid, but so did they...it should have been like, if GMU gets in, hofstra is automatically in..o well..

baby jesus
03-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Hahaha Yeah I'm In A Bracket And When He Got Suspended For That I Was Like No Way They Are Gonna Lose First Round They Cant Even Beat Hofstra But I Was Wrong They Proved They Deserved To Be There.

whitey
03-20-2006, 05:59 PM
but yeah, after our starting point guard nailed that hofstra guy in the balls in the conference semis, and we lost subsequently and then he was suspended, we thought it was over...according to karma it should have been...

karma works in mysterious ways. watch your mans (the ball puncher) have a chance to win or tie a game and he bricks his shot.

ballistic
03-20-2006, 06:45 PM
yeah seriously...i'm trying to go see the game friday, because our bracket's games happen to be in DC (the other matchup is uconn vs. washington)...tickets cost 130 though, so we'll see...

Bedlam
03-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Wow big fucking deal... the thing to keep in mind about March Madness is that upsets are a part of it and will happen. You have your cinderella teams that do nothing but win one or two big games and then fade to obscurity. big deal. FSU beat Duke this year and look where they are. NIT with UM. Thing to remember my nigs, is:

joahkim noah.
taureen green.
lee humphreys.
al horford.
corey brewer.

Those boys from Florida taking it to the house!

FUCKING WORD man. check out my location, FLORIDA WILL TAKE IT DOWN THIS YEAR

and fuck whoever was whining about UNC losing its players, Florida is 4 soph's and a junior starting. btw, its lee humphrey, no s at the end...

FrenchShin
03-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Noah will bring back the long hair style.

whitey
03-20-2006, 09:38 PM
floridas gonna bite it just like they always do whenever they get number 1 during the season or a big game in the tourney.

Bedlam
03-21-2006, 11:54 PM
^ they woulda been out already if that was the case. They hadn't got to the sweet 16 since they went to the championship in 2000.

The only way I see Florida losing to Georgetown is if ol Billy Donovan botches the game up late, which he is known to do. Florida can not be blown out.

TiKaL
03-22-2006, 02:10 AM
and fuck whoever was whining about UNC losing its players, Florida is 4 soph's and a junior starting. ...

And Florida plays in a football conference and doesnt do shit in the tournament. (EVERY year)
So having seniors or freshmen doesnt make any difference

Get back to me when FLorida wins it all and then the whole team declares for the NBA Draft

ballistic
03-22-2006, 04:00 PM
ah man...its madness right now. one of our seniors is on the cover of sports illustrated, we're on the tongues of sports fans across the country, ESPN came to campus and had a mini-video documentary on sportscenter and a great article on the website...atmosphere is great too. we had a huge screen put up in our main food court replaying the unc and michigan state games...students are proudly sporting mason green and gold, camping out for tickets, speculating about the game friday...signs up everywhere...this is so exciting...

TiKaL
03-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Now is the time to go crazy if you're at George Mason

Knocking off a high profile team in the second round is nice, but knocking off the toughest team to get into the Final Four is cool (to say the least)

Bedlam
03-26-2006, 10:25 PM
And Florida plays in a football conference and doesnt do shit in the tournament. (EVERY year)
So having seniors or freshmen doesnt make any difference

Get back to me when FLorida wins it all and then the whole team declares for the NBA Draft

wow

MaShPG
03-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Congrats on making it this far...but that's as far as your getting. You did fuck up everybody's brackets though. Party it up.

hectis
03-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Gm Is The Story Of Ncaa Basketball This Year There Way Better Then An 11th Seed

THE W
03-27-2006, 12:07 PM
two mid-level teams went up again each other and one came out victorious. UNC wasnt shit this year. who gives a flying fuck about what name is on the jersey. kentucky aint shit either.

beating traditional powerhouse schools when their teams have been gutted by the NBA dont mean shit. mighigan state was garbage too. the only truly impressive win they've had was against connecticut.

now if they were to beat the UNC team from last year that would be saying something.

TUCO
03-27-2006, 12:25 PM
i dun think ive ever read a positive post from ya Wade
why so much hostility?

THE W
03-27-2006, 12:35 PM
im sorry if the the truth seems gloomy to you.

UNC and MSU had one of their worst teams in the tournament this year. GMU goes in playing with house money and and gets over on two lackluster majors who just werent that good to begin with.

Uconn is the only truly talented team that they beat.

THE W
03-27-2006, 12:36 PM
im sorry if the the truth seems gloomy to you.

UNC and MSU had one of their worst teams in the tournament this year. GMU goes in playing with house money and and gets over on two lackluster majors who just werent that good to begin with. the name on your jersey doesnt win you any games unless the opposing team is intimdated by it. if they're not, you better be able to play and MSU and UNC couldnt.

Uconn is the only truly talented team that they beat.

THE W
03-27-2006, 12:43 PM
sorry but im unable to edit my posts

hectis
03-27-2006, 03:15 PM
two mid-level teams went up again each other and one came out victorious. UNC wasnt shit this year. who gives a flying fuck about what name is on the jersey. kentucky aint shit either.

beating traditional powerhouse schools when their teams have been gutted by the NBA dont mean shit. mighigan state was garbage too. the only truly impressive win they've had was against connecticut.

now if they were to beat the UNC team from last year that would be saying something.

IF UNC HAD THE SAME PLAYERS AS LAST YEAR THEY WOULD NOT HAVE LOST ONE GAME THIS YEAR

ballistic
03-27-2006, 04:10 PM
wow..the campus is electric, euphoric...this is truly amazing. many basketball people are calling this the most impressive run ever in the tournament...is it that hard to agree with them? for a mid-major school to run through two powerhouse programs (yeah they arent as good as their past teams, but arent they still among the best in the country), another competitive mid-major school, and then arguably the best team in the country this season, respect has to be given. we've turned the basketball world on its head right now...NOBODY saw this coming. we barely made the fucking tournament, and we're in the FINAL FOUR!! i cant describe how unbelievable it is to be a part of this right now...we're witnessing basketball history, and im just thankful to be here (in freshman year, no less)
the UCONN game was spectacular...i have to admit, in the first five minutes, i thought it was over for us. we looked entirely overly matched against the team of future NBA stars...but then we hung tough. we weathered their big runs and answered with our own. when denham brown sent it into overtime with that infuriatingly-close-to-being-out reverse layup, i thought our season would gracefully come to an end. usually thats the time for elite teams to step up and separate themselves. but we kept making big shots, and somehow, the huskies missed that last-second three that EVERY one of us mason students could of sworn was going in as we breathlessly looked on.
the campus went crazy...people dashing around half-naked, decorating trees with paper towels, cars honking with painted bodies hanging out, screams, shouts, yells, yelps, shrieks echoing everywhere...even throughout the madness, we're still incredulous: US? in the FINAL FOUR?? impossible. now its all students are talking about...i just got out of an hour-long line to pay 18 dollars for a sought-after GMU final four t-shirt...and ive never been happier. theres a gigantic screen in our main food court showing the UCONN game over and over again, and we cant help but be transfixed...its really something just to soak up as its happening...what an experience.
GMU-know!!
go mason

check two
03-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't see what the deal is with some people saying that George Mason didn't really beat that good of teams. lol Michigan State was good. Yeah, North Carolina wasn't as good as last year. But it's not like they sucked this year. lol They were one of the hottest teams at the end of the regular season, and one of the favorites to be there in the Final Four, and win the championship. Connecticut was the best team in college basektball this year, so it's not like they were some half ass team. And George Mason is very well capable of beating Florida.

THE W
03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
like i said, GMU beating Uconn, their only impressive win. if you picked UNC or MSU to go to the final four then you know nothing about basketball. many people pick based on the name even if they never looked at a game. i bet many people had kentucky in the final four on their bracket LOL.

with this said GMU proved that they are not a fluke by beating Uconn. but beating two grossly overrated UNC and MSU teams says nothing for me.

Visionz
03-27-2006, 06:01 PM
^I gotta give them respect though. As a team all you can do is beat the teams you play. They're an 11th seed in the final four. Has that ever happened?

check two
03-27-2006, 06:38 PM
I think the last time an 11th seed got to the final four was 20 years ago, when LSU got there.

Several people out there thought North Carolina had a good chance to make it to the final four this year. lol

Wichita State had a solid team also.

Bedlam
03-27-2006, 06:39 PM
sorry to all you George Mason lovers, but Florida will handle them. Joakim Noah and Al Horford will dominate, as usual. Jai Lewis was nice vs Connecticut, but Florida has handled his much more talanted physical clone, Glen Davis, twice. Please try those jump hooks in the lane vs. Noah, and see them swatted.

whitey
03-27-2006, 07:42 PM
i could give a shit about george mason bc there not my school and i dont really care about basketball too much.

but what there doing is really what dreams are made of, in any sport, and for that i give them props.

THE W
03-27-2006, 08:17 PM
they got my respect when they beat Uconn.

ballistic
03-27-2006, 08:33 PM
sorry to all you George Mason lovers, but Florida will handle them. Joakim Noah and Al Horford will dominate, as usual. Jai Lewis was nice vs Connecticut, but Florida has handled his much more talanted physical clone, Glen Davis, twice. Please try those jump hooks in the lane vs. Noah, and see them swatted.

will thomas, anyone?

restless_438
03-28-2006, 12:53 AM
that is pretty cool that we got a George Mason student on the board though... even though they beat WSU.. still gotta give credit

ballistic
03-28-2006, 03:00 PM
that is pretty cool that we got a George Mason student on the board though... even though they beat WSU.. still gotta give credit

thanks man...this is all so unexpected and glorious...all of us students are just enjoying the ride right now...

Bedlam
03-28-2006, 03:41 PM
will thomas, anyone?

like I said, try those jump hooks he was pullin outta his ass against Uconn vs. Noah and Horford's defense. They're solid players, but we'll see their deficiencies vs. Florida.

Only way I see GM winning again is if they shoot 75 % from 3's.

ballistic
03-28-2006, 03:52 PM
like I said, try those jump hooks he was pullin outta his ass against Uconn vs. Noah and Horford's defense. They're solid players, but we'll see their deficiencies vs. Florida.

Only way I see GM winning again is if they shoot 75 % from 3's.

yeah, florida is an intimidating team down low...so was UCONN. bottom line, its going to be a good game. we've already shown the nation we can hang with the best, so i wouldnt dismiss us so callously. we're definitely taking you Gators seriously, but we believe we can hang with anyone.

sakk
03-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Tigers are owning the whole shit. Future Final four Champs.

Wu-Fam Specializt
03-28-2006, 11:51 PM
B.C. was my squad but they lost. So I gotta go for Ballistic's team now. How can you not love an underdog? This is what the tournament is all about muh phuckas!

O-N-E

Ghost Deini
03-29-2006, 01:34 AM
yeah, florida is an intimidating team down low...so was UCONN. bottom line, its going to be a good game. we've already shown the nation we can hang with the best, so i wouldnt dismiss us so callously. we're definitely taking you Gators seriously, but we believe we can hang with anyone.

Sorry but i'm pretty positive Florida will handle them no problem. You say UConn was intimidating downlow but c'mon everyone has seen how they were completely unmotivated in the tournament I mean they almost lost in the first round to bradley. I've heard from multiple point of views and I'm starting to agree that all those Uconn seniors saw the tournament as some small event on the way to big paychecks in NBA. Joakim Noah has 10 times the heart and intensity that the whole Uconn team had in the tournament combined.

And you know who has the largest winning margin as far as points in the tournament? Florida. It's gonna be a bangin in the paint battle in the championship game between LSU and Florida. George Mason's come a long way, couldn't of written a better story than theirs, but i'm afraid it's over once play Florida :mmmyah:

TiKaL
03-29-2006, 03:02 AM
Last year, Illinois didnt lose a game til the last regular game of the season

Wake Forest was ranked 2nd for most of the season, but was only the third best team in the ACC

Carolina had the second overall pick in the NBA draft and he didnt even start in college

This year, 2 football schools, a team that isnt even the most popular George, and a UCLA team that isnt all that good (yes, I just called a team that reached the Final Four not that good) are the finalists.
Kansas and Kentucky just straight up sucked.
Half of Carolina's and Wake's team is in the NBA

I dont think Im gonna get accused of being biased if I said last year's Wake Forest, UNC, or Illinois team would wipe the floor EASILY with these teams.

Parity has hit college basketball and it still made for a great tournament.
Having smaller schools hasnt made any of it any less interesting for me
I only wish I got to see Carolina repeat and win it all again.
Guess Ill have to settle for the Carolina Chick's team win it all

Ghost Deini
03-29-2006, 03:39 AM
Last year, Illinois didnt lose a game til the last regular game of the season

Wake Forest was ranked 2nd for most of the season, but was only the third best team in the ACC

Carolina had the second overall pick in the NBA draft and he didnt even start in college

This year, 2 football schools, a team that isnt even the most popular George, and a UCLA team that isnt all that good (yes, I just called a team that reached the Final Four not that good) are the finalists.
Kansas and Kentucky just straight up sucked.
Half of Carolina's and Wake's team is in the NBA

I dont think Im gonna get accused of being biased if I said last year's Wake Forest, UNC, or Illinois team would wipe the floor EASILY with these teams.

Parity has hit college basketball and it still made for a great tournament.
Having smaller schools hasnt made any of it any less interesting for me
I only wish I got to see Carolina repeat and win it all again.
Guess Ill have to settle for the Carolina Chick's team win it all

Carolina had the talent to win it all easilly just they were young, didn't quite have the experience to win it all this year (yeah i'm sure it's happened before with mostly underclassmen but it's pretty tough).

If NC is ya team I would look forward to next year they gonna be top 3 fa sho (along with LSU) Tyler Hansborough (pardon my spelling) is a pimp and after the freshman year he's had I can't imagine what he'll be like next year with more experience.

ballistic
03-29-2006, 06:38 PM
B.C. was my squad but they lost. So I gotta go for Ballistic's team now. How can you not love an underdog? This is what the tournament is all about muh phuckas!

O-N-E

much appreciated specializt

truthfully, yeah i am scared of this florida game...noah plays like a man possessed. but despite the fact that uconn never put forth a truly concerted effort in the tourney, i still have to point to that game. they played their best game in the tournament, only turned the ball over 11 times, and made their free throws...they did everything they needed to to win that game, including sending it into OT. so i have to say i dont feel bashful for having faith in my school to pull off another one. with that being said, i think if florida plays the game that uconn did against us (as in not turning it over, making free throws), they should win. they're a better TEAM than the huskies were...all i can do is keep my fingers crossed..

check two
03-30-2006, 12:24 AM
And that Noah guy is scary looking even when he's smiling.

sakk
03-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Even if Mason wins, if LSU wins. You know who I think is winning it all.

TIGERS on tha swarm

Bedlam
04-01-2006, 09:13 PM
my school just knocked GM out of the tournament!!!

Bedlam
04-01-2006, 09:14 PM
like i said, it wasn't close. and Jai Lewis is one of the biggest thugs I've ever seen. All he does is push and hold on every rebound. EVEN BILLY FUCKING PACKER HAD TO COMMMENT ON ONE OF THEM.

THE W
04-01-2006, 10:20 PM
you got problems right now.

Bedlam
04-02-2006, 10:33 AM
^indeed

where's sakk? i thought LSU was guarenteed to win it all?

ballistic
04-02-2006, 02:24 PM
my school just knocked GM out of the tournament!!!

good one

we missed stupid shots...we had like 6 or 7 easy layups that we botched, and we only made two threes...if we played the game that we did against UCONN, then it would have at least been competitive. but hats off to FLA, they're a good team...

was awesome while it lasted

MaddHatter
04-04-2006, 08:41 PM
good one

we missed stupid shots...we had like 6 or 7 easy layups that we botched, and we only made two threes...if we played the game that we did against UCONN, then it would have at least been competitive. but hats off to FLA, they're a good team...

was awesome while it lasted

at least you weren't on the team.. they prolly lose by more.. haha

ballistic
04-05-2006, 12:15 PM
at least you weren't on the team.. they prolly lose by more.. haha

o SHIT...damn man...you got me

:lmao:

maestro wooz
04-05-2006, 01:58 PM
the nation fears baltimore area basketball players

MaddHatter
04-05-2006, 10:02 PM
o SHIT...damn man...you got me

:lmao:

woow... go read a book

i've been to gmu.. its a pretty bad campus.. got hoops with no nets

ballistic
04-05-2006, 10:17 PM
woow... go read a book

i've been to gmu.. its a pretty bad campus.. got hoops with no nets

ouch, you assume that i read books? man..i never wanted to be associated with that!:{

and yes, because the true worth of a college campus is measured by the shoddy outdoor courts next to the freshman dorms..lol...i live right next to that court actually. thankfully, there are several alternatives on campus for a good run...