PDA

View Full Version : what is reality?

hidden ninja
03-23-2006, 08:27 AM
how do you know what's real?
is what you see and experience the same as everyone else?
or do you think each Man's reality is unique to Him?

I'll build more later, gotta go to work.

LHX
03-23-2006, 09:10 AM
how do you know what's real?
is what you see and experience the same as everyone else?
or do you think each Man's reality is unique to Him?

I'll build more later, gotta go to work.

one reality

an infinite number of perspectives and interpretations

what you experience IS real
but
the difficulty is putting it into context

your reality is NOT unique
but
your perspective on it can be unique

hope that makes sense

Dough Snatcher
03-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Put the pipe down homie...
Im guessing you were pretty shit faced when you made this thread....

soul controller
03-23-2006, 11:35 AM
hmm i been gettin into this shit recently
quantum shit

well for certian i know

our dna sends and recieves data ( our sences process it) process the wave forms
that our mind decodes..
thus creating what we experiance..

now.. i wanna know
what is it that our dna sends and recieves..
i know its communicating with other dna..
thus creating the illusion of a physical (3d world)

science calls this dna JUNK DNA

and our bodies contain 97% of this 'junk dna'

peace

WU-KILLAH
03-23-2006, 12:34 PM
When Descartes said "I think therefore I am" he started by saying "let's doubt about everything, Im sure about nothing anymore" then "now what am I sure about ? Im sure about the fact Im doubting" "so that mean I can think" and if I can think" that mean I exist" ... I think therefore I am. I exist, that's the only thing that is true and that Im sure about.

Aqua Luna
03-23-2006, 03:40 PM
^this is an interesting perspective...I can dig it.

Dissonance
03-23-2006, 03:54 PM
When Descartes said "I think therefore I am" he started by saying "let's doubt about everything, Im sure about nothing anymore" then "now what am I sure about ? Im sure about the fact Im doubting" "so that mean I can think" and if I can think" that mean I exist" ... I think therefore I am. I exist, that's the only thing that is true and that Im sure about.

The " I think therefore I am" is actually someone else attributing that to Descartes. His meaning was " I doubt, Therefore I exist. Merely thinking did not prove he truly existed. But having the ability to doubt everything around him proved that he had a Self that was truly in existence. Of course after extensively doubting and not believing in anything to come to this conclusion, he immediately assumed that since he existed, then God was real and existed.

Which is amusing that he qustioned and doubted everything to find himself, but as soon as he reached his conclusion, he accepted an outside God without really applying much questioning.

Much like Aquinas who came to the conclusion that there had to be an original Cause, but then just attributed that cause to the Christian deity when his findings did not prove that, only that there was a Cause, but his own biases and beliefs assumed it was the god he wanted to believe in

WU-KILLAH
03-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanx for the precision, my memory decreases dangerously, smoke too much ... :yessad:

Murdah Piff
03-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Reality's A Muthafucka Tell Me If You Feelin' It, Can You Survive Through Experience ?

LHX
03-23-2006, 04:14 PM
what doesnt exist?

is a thought about a unicorn a real thought?

soul controller
03-24-2006, 05:22 AM
if enough people envision the same unicorn,
that thought will become reality

1 8 7
03-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Reality is what you see when you look around you.

SubtleEnergies
03-25-2006, 01:25 AM
Hahah Legato's daughter sounds like a hottie....

THE W
03-25-2006, 10:19 AM
one reality

an infinite number of perspectives and interpretations

what you experience IS real
but
the difficulty is putting it into context

your reality is NOT unique
but
your perspective on it can be unique

hope that makes sense
this is pretty much it in a nutshell

brown_dogg
03-25-2006, 03:38 PM
We're discussing this kind of stuff in my Theory of Knowledge of class.

We can never know what "true" reality is, but we can interpret everything around us in a certain way and call it our reality. For example, you can look at a flower and say that it is yellow. You're probably going to be sure that the flower is yellow that is because the flower absorbs the yellow from the colour spectrum and reflects back all the other colours to our eye, where our brain interprets them as yellow. However, for other animals, they might see the flower as purple. That is because they see different parts of the colour spectrum and because their brain interprets the colour signals differently.

There is a comparison between the human colour spectrum and a bees colour spectrum on this page: http://webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/17.html

So now ask yourself: What is the "true" colour of the flower? Is it yellow, or purple, or any other colour that any other living thing may interpret it as? Or maybe it's a colour that no living thing can see.

soul controller
03-30-2006, 07:35 AM
eyes take data, in the forms of waves.
that our mind decodes.

Prince Rai
03-30-2006, 01:13 PM
quiestion is... how well can our brains decode?

seemingly reality is a myth
seemingly myth may be reality :S

Aqua Luna
03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Truth = Reality

galt john galt
03-30-2006, 02:40 PM
reality is defined as real with validity. the realness of what our five senses takes in plus the validation of our brain/mind. reality is what exist. reality is a slap a bite and check to your conscious conscience and being. everything is subjective to reality where ultimate reality is the objective.

Saturday
04-02-2006, 01:58 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/nl/thumb/b/bd/Wandelpad.jpg/250px-Wandelpad.jpg