PDA

View Full Version : America doesn't resemble Founding Fathers' vision

whaeva
03-26-2006, 03:42 PM
I feel as if I am living in a foreign land. When I was a young man, African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanics, homosexuals and women were looking forward to civil rights that reflected the promises of the Declaration of Independence. We were working for an America where truth and justice could truly be part of the American way. Sadly, that is all in the past. Fundamentalists are moving to dominate legislatures, the courts and education, as in Iran. Without warrant, the government may have access to my computer search-engine files and can bug my telephone, as in Red China. My government uses torture and imprisons aliens without writs of habeas corpus, as in Burma. Pre-emptive war and capital punishment are as acceptable here as they are in Pakistan. Cronyism and corruption are as common as they are in Russia and Syria. As in much of Latin America, taxation of the working poor supports the lavish life-style of the wealthy. As we claim to be striving against the powers of repression and terrorism, we look less like the nation our Founding Fathers envisioned in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and more like the nations we hope to change. J. Gordon Maule http://www.mcall.com/news/opinion/letters/all-maulemar26,0,7425623,print.story?coll=all-newsopinionletters-hed

Maboya
03-26-2006, 03:56 PM
I feel as if I am living in a foreign land. When I was a young man, African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanics, homosexuals and women were looking forward to civil rights that reflected the...

Please stop lumping homosexuals in with so-called African, Native, and Hispanic Americans to make a so-called political point. Thank you.

hectis
03-26-2006, 03:58 PM
They Founding Fathers Were Slave Owners So What Rights Were They Trying To Give The Black Man Women Could Not Vote Or Do Many Thingz And They Were Taking The Native Americnas Land So I Say Fuck The Founding Fathers They Can Suck My Dick

Sicka than aidZ
03-26-2006, 03:59 PM
oops hectis beat me to it:thumbup:

THE W
03-26-2006, 04:02 PM
I feel as if I am living in a foreign land. When I was a young man, African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanics, homosexuals and women were looking forward to civil rights that reflected the promises of the Declaration of Independence. We were working for an America where truth and justice could truly be part of the American way. Sadly, that is all in the past. Fundamentalists are moving to dominate legislatures, the courts and education, as in Iran. Without warrant, the government may have access to my computer search-engine files and can bug my telephone, as in Red China. My government uses torture and imprisons aliens without writs of habeas corpus, as in Burma. Pre-emptive war and capital punishment are as acceptable here as they are in Pakistan. Cronyism and corruption are as common as they are in Russia and Syria. As in much of Latin America, taxation of the working poor supports the lavish life-style of the wealthy. As we claim to be striving against the powers of repression and terrorism, we look less like the nation our Founding Fathers envisioned in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and more like the nations we hope to change. J. Gordon Maule http://www.mcall.com/news/opinion/letters/all-maulemar26,0,7425623,print.story?coll=all-newsopinionletters-hed
many people like to walk around with planks in their eyes while trying to scrape the dust out of someone else's.

galt john galt
03-26-2006, 05:41 PM
religion and state. like god and money. or government and individual rights. the constitution is a living breathing document. every case that goes before the supreme court is an expounding on the bill of rights - like splitting hairs or gathering straw.they were deists nopt many wre christian as we have come to see it. and the federalist won for our central government.

ideologies as the world became smaller has crushed many o dreams while expansion across the globe can raise many o nightmares.