PDA

View Full Version : :::::~News from around the World~:::::

Pages : 1 [2]

444trumpets
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Mystery Ailment Strikes Honeybees

New Mystery Ailment Devastates Honeybee Industry, Already Hurt by Mite Infestation

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. Feb 12, 2007 (AP)— A mysterious illness is killing tens of thousands of honeybee colonies across the country, threatening honey production, the livelihood of beekeepers and possibly crops that need bees for pollination.
Researchers are scrambling to find the cause of the ailment, called Colony Collapse Disorder.
Reports of unusual colony deaths have come from at least 22 states. Some affected commercial beekeepers who often keep thousands of colonies have reported losing more than 50 percent of their bees. A colony can have roughly 20,000 bees in the winter, and up to 60,000 in the summer.
"We have seen a lot of things happen in 40 years, but this is the epitome of it all," Dave Hackenberg, of Lewisburg-based Hackenberg Apiaries, said by phone from Fort Meade, Fla., where he was working with his bees.
The country's bee population had already been shocked in recent years by a tiny, parasitic bug called the varroa mite, which has destroyed more than half of some beekeepers' hives and devastated most wild honeybee populations.
Along with being producers of honey, commercial bee colonies are important to agriculture as pollinators, along with some birds, bats and other insects. A recent report by the National Research Council noted that in order to bear fruit, three-quarters of all flowering plants including most food crops and some that provide fiber, drugs and fuel rely on pollinators for fertilization.
Hackenberg, 58, was first to report Colony Collapse Disorder to bee researchers at Penn State University. He notified them in November when he was down to about 1,000 colonies after having started the fall with 2,900.
"We are going to take bees we got and make more bees … but it's costly," he said. "We are talking about major bucks. You can only take so many blows so many times."
One beekeeper who traveled with two truckloads of bees to California to help pollinate almond trees found nearly all of his bees dead upon arrival, said Dennis vanEnglesdorp, acting state apiarist for the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture.
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/FX10302070218_sp.jpeg
A bee lands on the blossom of an almond tree near Modesto, Calif. Thousands, if not millions, of honeybees have mysteriously been dying off in colonies in at least 22 states, and farmers are concerned

"I would characterize it as serious," said Daniel Weaver, president of the American Beekeeping Federation. "Whether it threatens the apiculture industry in the United States or not, that's up in the air."
Scientists at Penn State, the University of Montana and the U.S. Department of Agriculture are among the quickly growing group of researchers and industry officials trying to solve the mystery.
Among the clues being assembled by researchers:
Although the bodies of dead bees often are littered around a hive, sometimes carried out of the hive by worker bees, no bee remains are typically found around colonies struck by the mystery ailment. Scientists assume these bees have flown away from the hive before dying.
From the outside, a stricken colony may appear normal, with bees leaving and entering. But when beekeepers look inside the hive box, they find few mature bees taking care of the younger, developing bees.
Normally, a weakened bee colony would be immediately overrun by bees from other colonies or by pests going after the hive's honey. That's not the case with the stricken colonies, which might not be touched for at least two weeks, said Diana Cox-Foster, a Penn State entomology professor investigating the problem.
"That is a real abnormality," Hackenberg said.
Cox-Foster said an analysis of dissected bees turned up an alarmingly high number of foreign fungi, bacteria and other organisms and weakened immune systems.
Researchers are also looking into the effect pesticides might be having on bees.
In the meantime, beekeepers are wondering if bee deaths over the last couple of years that had been blamed on mites or poor management might actually have resulted from the mystery ailment.
"Now people think that they may have had this three or four years," vanEnglesdorp said.

Tito
02-14-2007, 12:30 AM
"MOUSER WORDS TRIPPING THE FUCK OUT " 2/13/07

WHITTIER , CALIFORNIA, HIS OWN EYES.. RIO CAMPUS-

DAMN .. NOW THAT U ASK.. I WENT TO .. SCHOOL TODAY... LATE BUT I WENT.. DAMN IM FUCKING UP.. NOW I KNOW .. I MAY TRANSFER SOMEWHERE ELSE.. THIS COMING SEMESTER.. {SUMMER} {ME OR THE PAPES INSTRUMENTAL } THIS SEMESTER. HERE IN L.A. IS JUST FOR EXPERIENCE.. I WISH I WOULDNT OF FUCKED UP CUZ IT IS L.A. DAMN,. . THE OTHER C C ...... WOULD BE CLOSER TO MY HOME.. BUT NOTHING IS BETTER THAN BEING IN L.A. BELIEVE ME.. IT IS AN HONOR TO BE IN L.A. / I ALREADY KNOW.. I M GOING TO MISS ALL THE BITCHES..

IN THE OTHER. I MUST DO GOOD. . I HAVE TO . I KNOW I WILL.. / // TODAY... REMEMBER THAT GIRL FABIOLA.. TRUMPETS ... {444} KNOWS.. WELL I SEEN HER TODAY,. AND THE OTHER DAY.. SHE WAS LOOKING MAD GOOD.. OUT OF ALL OF THEM ... I WAS ATTRACTED TO HER THE MOST.. STILL AM BUT LOOK :: WELL I HAD CLASS WITH HER TODAY.. AND I DIDNT GO {FUCK } BUT THEN LEAVING.. THE LIBRARY. . I WENT THROUGH THE TOP BUILDING.. AND I SEEN HER .. I MADE EYE CONTACT.. WITH HER.. {YES.} SHE LOOKED I THINK SHE RECOGNIZED.. ME. BUT THEN WAS LIKE PROBABLY HEY U DIDNT GO TO CLASS TODAY.. } ONLY SHE DIDNT TELL ME EVERY THING {IN MY HEAD}{ I WAS LIKE FUCK .. THAT S MY LADY RIGHT THERE.. } I HAD A DODGERS HANDWRITING. SWEATER.. LIKE THE TYPE U JUST THROW OVER.. NO HOOD.. A WHITE TEE BLACK FORCES.. > DARK DENIM 501 'S } I FELT GOOD THEN A PIMP ASS COLOGNE I JUST BOUGHT. {EMPORIO ARMANI,.. A CLASSIC } SO I FELT GOOD THEN I HAD NEW pRESCRIPTION GLASSES } ON . KIND OF LIKE D M C 'S BUT MORE MODERN {SMALLER } SAME COLOR THOUGH ... SO I FELT OLD SCHOOL > MY RAPS.. > MY WHOLE DAY WAS TO BE GOOD JUST TO LOOK AT HER.. > OUT OF NOWHERE AROUND THE CORNER.. I SEE THIS LADY.. A BIG ASS BOOTY. THE MILF WHO HAD HELPED ME OUT.. @ FIRST.. SHE LOOKED > LIKE A SMILE.. BUT I THINK SHE DIDNT RECOGNIZE ME.. < SHE DIDNT SAY ANYTHING TO ME.. JUST PASSED THROUGH ME AS I WAS JUST STARING AT HER BOOTY.. DAMN.. THEN I WENT TO CLASS // MY ROUGH DRAFT ESSAY WAS OFF.. // FUCK // ON THE WAY OUT.. I SEEN SOME BOMB ASS DARK {LATIN } BITCH.. SHE LOOKED GOOD.. > WHEN OUT OF NOWHERE.. I SEE FABIOLA.. DAMN.. MY LADY.. I COULD NT WAIT 4 HER TO STAY THERE.. CUZ WE TAKE THE SAME BUS .. HOME.. THEN SHE WALKS THROUGH ME .. ON THE PHONE.. BUT THEN HANGS UP. . I THINK I SEE HER MAN.. OR BABIES DADDY. OR JUST A FRIEND . BUT I THINK HER MAN.. > TO GIVE HER A RIDE. > DAMN.. THEY WERE WALKING TALKING.. AS I WAS JUST LOOKING AT HER.. LEAVE WITH THAT FOOL HE OPENED THE DOOR 4 HER. INTO A BLACK CAR.. THEN HE GOT IN.. / WAITING FOR CARS TO GO THROUGH.. THEN THEY LEFT. // BEFORE TODAY.. THE DAY I SEEN HER. I SEEN HER TALKING TO SOME FOOLS . SO I DONT KNOW IF SHE MET ONE OF THEM FOOLS THERE. OR SHE KNEW THEM.. OR THEY WERE TRYING TO PICK UP ON HER.. BUT THAT IS WHAT IT SEEMED LIKE.. ONLY THAT THE REASON I WAS LOOKING KNOWING WHO SHE WAS.. IN MY HEAD I WAS . LIKE YES... I KNOW.. > DONT MIND ME.. I DONT GET IT.. I DONT HATE.. BUT EVERY GIRL IM ATTRACTED TO.. THEY SEE SOMEONE ELSE. . SO I KNOW ..NOW.. I LOST. HER.. < I THOUGHT SHE WAS PERFECT 4 ME.. > THIS TOTALLY KILLED MY DAY.. LIKE NO BULL.... THERE IS THIS POETRY CONTEST.. THAT I WILL ENTER.. THE DEAD LINE IS TOMORROW.. AT LEAST GO DOWN IN HISTORY.. WITH MY OLD SCHOOL STYLE.. IN TO ONE OF THEIR VOLUMES. BOOKS .. THERE AT SCHOOL ... CUZ I KNOW I WONT BE THERE NEXT SEMESTER.. I NEED A GIRL. .. THE LILY ALLENS OF THINGS.. GET TO ME.. THAT IS JUST WHO I AM.. SHE DONT KNOW. BUT I GUESS REALLY NO ONE. KNOWS.. JUST ME..

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Why are you posting this here MOUSER?

444trumpets
02-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Mouser be loving them thick ones...

Pharm Animals Crank Out Drugs

http://www.wired.com/c/s.gif

With its tranquil ponds and rolling fields, the GTC Biotherapeutics farm in Charlton, Massachusetts, looks like a typical pastoral retreat. But its 1,400 goats don't produce any butter or cheese. Instead, the animals are sophisticated drug incubators, with millions of dollars of potential profit accumulating in their udders each day.
GTC Biotherapeutics (http://www.transgenics.com/) is among several companies worldwide perfecting the art of "pharming" -- genetically modifying animals to churn out drugs for disorders like hemophilia and cancer. The first government-approved drug from transgenic animals, GTC's anti-clotting agent ATryn, was approved in Europe (http://www.the-scientist.com/article/display/24858/) late last year, vindicating biotech's years-long quest to steer animal husbandry in entirely new directions.
With the approval of the anti-clotting agent, the drug industry will now likely increase the use of transgenic animals, says Robert Kay, CEO of Origen Therapeutics. Kay predicted drug makers will try to develop several transgenic animal "systems," including mice, rats, goats, cows, pigs, sheep and chickens.
"We should begin to see the approach make an impact," he says. "We can reasonably expect that new advances will be made."
The technique offers a way to produce large quantities of drugs that are otherwise difficult to develop. It involves genetic modification of an animal embryo's genetic makeup, or genome. Just after fertilization, "pharmers" insert into the embryo a human gene that codes for a particular protein -- usually one that's produced naturally in humans, but that's lacking in people who have certain diseases. They attach that DNA code with a gene that codes for a sugar found in mammalian milk, insuring that the therapeutic protein will be expressed only in the animals' milk or eggs.
GTC's ATryn contains the human protein antithrombin, which helps prevent blood clots that could lead to a stroke or heart attack. About one in every 5,000 people has a genetic deficiency of this protein. The drug is also administered during surgery because excessive bleeding can lower blood levels of the protein, leading to clots.
"It doesn't appear you can have too much of it," says Geoffrey Cox, GTC's chief executive officer. "But if you have too little, there's a severe risk of thrombosis." Thrombosis is the formation of a clot inside a blood vessel.
Antithrombin is typically extracted from human blood plasma donations, but it's present only in very small quantities. That makes soliciting donors and extracting proteins from the plasma expensive and labor-intensive.
But now that GTC's goat herd has reached critical mass, the protein can be harvested in massive quantities. "Each of our goats can produce a kilogram of antithrombin each year," Cox says. "It takes 50,000 people to donate that same amount."
GTC is developing a similar protocol using rabbits to produce another clotting protein, called rhFVIIa, which some hemophiliacs lack.
At Scotland's Roslin Institute (http://www.roslin.ac.uk/), birthplace of Dolly the cloned sheep, biologist Helen Sang is turning another farmyard inhabitant, the chicken, into a similar drug-production machine. Sang is pioneering a new, more efficient way to engineer chickens that produce human proteins in the albumen of their eggs.
"We're taking up where people left off (with chickens) quite a few years ago, but we're using a more sophisticated viral vector," she says.
Her findings were published (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=17259305&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum) in January in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
Chickens reproduce very quickly and generate high concentrations of proteins in their egg whites. So Sang thinks transgenic chickens could emerge as drug factories that are at least as efficient as goats.
"We're not talking about one method being the absolute best," she says. "Chickens may be best for producing one protein, and goats may be best for producing another." The Roslin Institute has formed a partnership with gene-therapy company Oxford BioMedica (http://www.oxfordbiomedica.co.uk/) and anticipates its poultry-based strategy will enable it to manufacture protein-based drugs in the coming decade, though it has not disclosed which ones.
Burlingame, California-based Origen Therapeutics (http://www.origentherapeutics.com/) is also developing transgenic chickens that express human proteins in egg albumen. The company's scientists plan to develop human cancer-fighting antibodies. They also hope to breed a chicken that will produce the entire range of human antibodies in its eggs. If the company succeeds, harvesting compounds for drug therapies will be a little like choosing a flavor from a soda fountain.
Some consumers, scientists acknowledge, have misgivings about creating animal-human hybrid genomes.
"It's a whole new ballgame, and we need to proceed with caution," said Margaret Mellon, director of the Union of Concerned Scientists' Food and Environment Program.
Mellon said drug-production processes would need to be standardized, which might be difficult when dealing with several disparate species. In addition, there are concerns that viruses could be hidden in animal DNA and passed on to humans, or that drugs produced in milk might be contaminated with prions. There's also the welfare of the animals themselves: The drugs they produce might be harmful to them.
Catherine Willett, a science policy advisor for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, stressed the welfare issues.
"Genetic engineering is responsible for a skyrocketing increase in the numbers of animals being used in laboratory experiments," she said. "(and) is likely to have drastic long term ill-effects in the animals themselves."
But Origen scientist Marie Cecile Van de Lavoir said the potential human health benefits justify tinkering with nature's plan.
"If a transgenic animal produces a great cancer therapy," she says, "I won't hear anyone saying, 'You shouldn't do that.'"

444trumpets
02-16-2007, 03:45 PM
'Sparks fly from Jesus artwork'

WORSHIPPERS are flocking to a statue of Jesus Christ in a Merseyside gallery claiming it possesses miraculous powers.
Visitors have descended on the Liverpool Academy of Art to kneel before the steel and bronze artwork after reports that “sparks” were shooting from its eyes.
The sculpture, ‘Cleansing of the Temple’, portrays an angry Jesus brandishing a whip ready to drive out the moneylenders from the temple.
Sculptor Brian Burgess said he is amazed at the reaction to his work, which took three years to complete.
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icliverpool/feb2007/0/5/BB1FB818-C9C6-8551-4C0D308E4E44F667.jpg

He said: “This is the first time it has ever been displayed publicly and I'm pleased people like my work but I never expected it to have this effect.

“It began when a woman who saw the statue fell to her knees and began praying. She was transfixed for more than 30 minutes and when she came out of the trance she said she had witnessed sparks coming from the eyes of the Christ figure.

“Now the word has spread and we have hordes of people coming to pray and venerate the statue and many have said they have witnessed these sparks too.”

Mr Burgess derives much of his work from bible stories, even though he is a self- confessed atheist.

He added: “I’ve been working on the piece for about a year and it dominated my life during that period but I never saw any sparks while working on it apart from those from the welding torch.

“There have been a number of portraits of the ‘Cleansing of the Temple’ but few sculptures. For people to be so touched by it is fantastic.”

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icliverpool/feb2007/8/3/BB1E7980-D647-8E02-E081630B12DEDF06.jpg Manager of the Academy, June Lornie, says the sculp- ture is one of the most cont- roversial works displayed. “Not since Arthur Dooley’s work 20 years ago has there been such a furore in Liverpool over an artwork. Some people say it is evil and they can see sparks in Jesus’s eyes. Others kneel down and speak as though in a trance, convinced they are connecting with God.”

It is not the first time Mr Burgess’s work has caused a stir. In 2002, his 18ft sculpture depicting the wrath of Jesus as he enters the temple in Jerusalem to find people gambling, evoked fury.

The artist made it to stand in front of Our Lady of Pity Church in Greasby, in Wirral but many wanted it to be hidden away at the back. Made of steel, wire, copper and bronze, It featured an angry Christ with whip in hand attacking men with playing cards and gambling chips.

Another sculpture of Christ on a donkey is at the Liverpool Parish Church of St Nicholas.

Other pieces by Mr Burgess, who now lives on the Wirral, have adorned the White House and 50s singer Frankie Laine was one of his biggest fans.

444trumpets
02-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Robot-driven cars on roads by 2030: scientist (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22Robot-driven+cars+on+roads+by+2030:+scientist%22&sid=breitbart.com)

Scientists are developing the next generation of robot-driven cars and predict they could be shuttling humans around by the year 2030, a conference was told.

The first wave of intelligent robot cars, capable of understanding and reacting to the world around them, will be tested this November in a competition run by the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
http://www.breitbart.com/images/2007/1/17/070218000644.7dauizys/SGE.TKX48.180207000639.photo00.quicklook.default-245x163.jpg
Scientists are developing vehicles which will not only be driven by robots independently, but will be able to operate in a simulated city environment.
"In the past it was sufficient for a vehicle just to perceive the environment, said Sebastian Thrun, an associate professor (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22associate+professor%22&sid=breitbart.com) of computer science (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22computer+science%22&sid=breitbart.com) and electrical engineering (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22electrical+engineering%22&sid=breitbart.com) at Stanford University (http://search.breitbart.com/q?s=%22Stanford+University%22&sid=breitbart.com).
"The new challenge will be to understand the environment. The robot must be able to recognize another car, to understand that it is moving and that it will interact with it as it gets closer."
Thrun, who was speaking at the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual meeting in San Francisco, is a member of the Stanford team participating in the DARPA competition, which will take place on November 3.
Stanford's entrant "Junior" is a converted 2006 Volkswagen Passat whose steering, throttle and brakes all have been modified by engineers to be completely computer-controllable.
An array of lasers fitted on the car bumpers, radar and global positioning systems feed data into the on-board computer to determine its location and position.
Thrun predicted that leaps in artificial intellegence would lead to driverless cars on the roads by 2030.
"Today we can drive about 100 miles (160 kilometers) before human assistance is necessary, by 2010 I expect this to go 1,000 miles (1,160 kilometers), by 2020 up to a million miles (1.6 million kilometers)," he said.
"By 2030 you'll be able to see them on the highway, with a driving reliability that will exceed humans by orders of magnitude.
"We believe this technology will affect all of us. It is going to have enormous significance for people who can't drive because of disabilities or because they are ill or impaired."
Thrun said he believed robot-driven vehicles would be deployed in war zones before they are seen in everyday civilian environments. "I think they'll be on the battlefield by around 2015," he said. "It is going to make sense to use them in situations such as convoys, or in hostile environments where there is danger to personnel."

444trumpets
02-19-2007, 07:13 PM
2 Bald Eagles in Their Nest

--Traci H.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/444TRUMPETS/Eagles021807a.jpg

444trumpets
02-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Doctors Extend Hospital Stay of Tiniest Premature Baby

Tuesday, February 20, 2007
http://www.foxnews.com/images/service_ap_36.gif

http://www.foxnews.com/images/263519/2_61_tiny_baby1.jpg (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252878,00.html#)

Born at just under 22 weeks gestation on Oct. 24, Amillia Sonja Taylor is the world's youngest surviving premature baby.

[/URL]MIAMI — The world's smallest premature baby will remain in the hospital a few more days as a precaution, hospital officials said Tuesday.
Barbara Moore, spokeswoman for [URL="http://javascript<b></b>:siteSearch('Baptist Children's Hospital');"]Baptist Children's Hospital (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252878,00.html#), said she did not have further details on why the doctors changed their mind about sending Amillia Sonja Taylor (http://javascript<b></b>:siteSearch('Amillia Sonja Taylor');) home Tuesday.
Doctors say Amillia is the first baby known to survive after a gestation period of fewer than 23 weeks. She was just 9 1/2 inches long and weighed less than 10 ounces when she was born Oct. 24. She was delivered after just under 22 weeks of pregnancy; full-term births come after 37 to 40 weeks.
The baby has suffered respiratory and digestive problems, as well as a mild brain hemorrhage, but doctors believe the health concerns will not have major long-term effects.
"Her prognosis is excellent," said Dr. Paul Fassbach, who has cared for Amillia since her second day.
Amillia was conceived in vitro and has been in an incubator since birth. She has received oxygen and will continue to get a small amount even after she goes home.
She is the first child for Eddie and Sonja Taylor (http://javascript<b></b>:siteSearch('Eddie and Sonja Taylor');) of Homestead. She was delivered by Caesarean section and now weighs about 4 1/2 pounds and is just over 15 1/2 inches long. Previously doctors stated she was about 25 inches long.

444trumpets
02-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Virtual treatment for US troops

By Jonathan Fildes
Science and technology reporter, BBC News, San Francisco
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/999999.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42587000/jpg/_42587813_soldier_203.jpg Patients saw immediate post treatment gains, researchers said

Virtual reality is being used to treat soldiers returning from Iraq with post-traumatic stress disorder.
The immersive system combines realistic street scenes, sounds and odours to allow patients to relive traumatic events in a controlled environment.
During the "exposure therapy", a clinician determines the intensity of the events the soldier experiences.
The prototype system is currently being trialled in the US but has already successfully treated four volunteers.
"We see immediate post treatment gains," said Dr Skip Rezzo of the University of Southern California and one of the team that developed the system.
In particular, the system seems to help with symptoms such as nightmares and flashbacks.
"Those are the cold clinical symptoms but this translates into being able to leave the house, being able to go to work or being able to continue your relationship with your wife or loved ones," said Dr Rezzo.
Virtual approach
Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a condition suffered by many who have been on active service with the Armed Forces.
The term is used to describe a range of psychological symptoms people may experience following a traumatic, usually life-threatening, event.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42587000/jpg/_42587835_fighter_203.jpg The system attempts to recreate the reality of war

Symptoms can manifest themselves in different ways but can include reliving the trauma through flashbacks or nightmares, increased irritability and self-isolation.
A study in 2004 by researchers at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research found that nearly one in eight soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan reported some symptom of PTSD.
The disorder is traditionally treated with psychotherapy and medicines such as antidepressants.
The new technique offers a complementary approach.
Realistic scene
Psychotherapists already use exposure therapy to treat stress related disorders
This typically involves the patient being asked to imagine a series of increasingly traumatic events.
It is particularly common for treating phobias such as fear of flying or fear of flights.
However, it is difficult to use on people suffering from PTSD.
"The problem with applying it to PTSD is that one of the symptoms is the avoidance of cues and reminders of the trauma of the event," said Dr Rezzo.
"So what we do in virtual reality is put a person in virtual Iraq, but initially at a level where they only experience minimal anxiety."
To recreate scenes the system uses a headset that can show video-game quality images of one of two scenarios: a street scene and a desert.
These are controlled by a clinician, who can introduce different elements into the scenarios, from playing children to unexpected explosions. The time of day and conditions such as sand storms can also be manipulated.
To make it even more realistic, the system pumps in smells such as gunpowder, burning rubber and body odour. Speakers provide the sound, whilst off-the-shelf sub-woofers placed under the chair recreate movements.
Other researchers at Emory University and Cornell University in the US have created similar systems to treat Vietnam veterans and people caught up in the World Trade Centre attacks in 2001.
Early success
Using the University of Southern California system, a typical treatment for a soldier who survived an attack on their vehicle may start with them just standing next to an armoured car in the desert.
"Then you raise the level," explained Dr Rezzo.
"You put them in the humvee (military vehicle), then you put them in it and you add the sounds of the engine, then you ask them to drive down a desert road.
"Over the course of the therapy, significant trauma events would be delivered at the hands of the clinician."
Typical treatment involves two one-hour sessions over five weeks.
Dr Rezzo and his team have already treated four people successfully. The first was a 21-year old female in the US military who had witnessed a number of suicide bombing scenes.
Others involved in the initial trial dropped out after one or two sessions.
Despite this, the team have started a larger trial with other soldiers returning from Iraq. The number involved is undisclosed.
However, Dr Rezzo is keen to point out that the trials are still in their infancy and many more follow up studies need to be done. "I don't want to sell this as a panacea but the results are encouraging," he said. The research was presented at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) annual meeting in San Francisco, US.

444trumpets
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
New Robo-Weapon: Paralyzing Floodlight

Well, this ought to chill out anyone who was worried about a robotic uprising: our mechanical overlords may not kill us right away. At first, they just might zap us with a paralyzing burst of light (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/02/20/212135/uavs-put-the-sting-into-crowd-control.html).
The US Army's Aviation Applied Technology Directorate (http://www.aatd.eustis.army.mil/) (AATD) plans to demonstrate the use of a 7.5 million candlepower strobe floodlight system mounted on board an unmanned air vehicle as a non-lethal crowd-control system," the always-linkworthy Flight International tells us.
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/boatshot.jpg
The project will see a Peak Beam Systems (http://www.peakbeam.com/) searchlight adapted to operate as a strobe capable of inducing physical effects, such as short-term paralysis, in humans.
AATD plans to award contacts to the Edgemont, Pennsylvania-based Peak Systems for the modified searchlight in March, with demonstrations within 12 months.
US government acquisition records released on 9 February say the sole source contract calls for Peak Systems to "design and fabricate a light-based immobilisation system/deterrent device and integrate it with an unmanned aerial system. This will include any necessary medical research on frequency and amplitude modulation of high-intensity light that will cause immobilisation to all those within the beam."
The system uses a xenon-based searchlight that "can be pulsed with a unique modulation [strobe] effect that results in immobilisation to those within the beam. This effort will transition the lamp from a handheld/vehicle mounted system to an airborne platform."
But that's not the only flying robot / ray gun combo the U.S. military is examining. The Air Force is also toying with the idea of mounting its Active Denial System pain weapon (http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72134-0.html) on a drone, too. Just so the robots can make us feel like we're on fire, before they temporarily blind us.

Tito
02-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Why are you posting this here MOUSER?

SORRY MAN.. I KNOW... IT WAS JUST LIKE.. A TRIP I HAD WHILE VISITING.. MEXICO.. . BUT AT THE SAME TIME IT SAID.. NEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD... I STARTED THINKING ABOUT.. LIKE THE STORIES.. IN WEEKLY WORLD NEWS.. I USED TO CHECK OUT AND BELIEVE WHEN I WAS A LITTLE .. KID.. SO IT WAS KIND OF LIKE MY IDEA.. OF.. .

YELLOW NEWSPAPERS ..

IF UR NOT DOWN W / IT.. I'LL STOP.. BUT I HAVENT HAD ANY REAL STORIES.. TO TALK ABOUT LATELY.. THAT I DIDNT PUT IN VERSE MY FAULT NO DISRESPECT

Tito
02-22-2007, 12:57 AM
sorry Man.. I Know... It Was Just Like.. A Trip I Had While Visiting.. Mexico.. . But At The Same Time It Said.. News From Around The World... I Started Thinking About.. Like The Stories.. In Weekly World News.. I Used To Check Out And Believe When I Was A Little .. Kid.. So It Was Kind Of Like My Idea.. Of.. .

Yellow Newspapers ..

If Ur Not Down W / It.. I'll Stop.. But I Havent Had Any Real Stories.. To Talk About Lately.. That I Didnt Put In Verse My Fault No Disrespect

My Bad.. I See Every Thing In Here. Is Really New And Serious.. So There Would Be No More Nonsense Of That Sort.. My Apologies.. To Ben.. Anyone Else I MAY HAVE Offended..

{like Say Somebody.,. That Didnt Know About The Wutang Corp Web Site. Came In Here And Seen This.. He/SHE Would Totally Tally The Website As Inept }

N E Thing With Wu Or Ppl Down With Wu Is Totally Not Inept..

So On My Part.. Not Cool Again My Bad ..

444trumpets
02-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Dont Trip...its Coo

Black Man
02-23-2007, 02:16 PM
OAK PARK HEIGHTS - Ask most students at Stillwater Area High School and they'll tell you the school doesn't have a problem with racial tolerance.

Ask Travis Miller and you'll hear a very different story.

Miller, whose mother is white and father is black, said he hears and sees things that offend him every day, he just chooses to brush most of them off, partly because he'd rather focus on football and his future, and partly because past experiences have taught him little will come of it, even if he says something.

But when a white student confronted Miller and other minority students in front of hundreds of their peers in the school cafeteria last week, the racism was impossible to ignore.

On Tuesday, Feb. 13, Miller and other members of minority student groups Students Together Against Racism (STAR) and Students Promoting Asian Awareness (SPAA) were selling tickets during lunch for an upcoming student fashion show to raise money for the Twin Cities Community Gospel Choir, which would perform at the school later that night. The events were part of BLAST Week, an annual school celebration that was recently expanded to focus on diversity and Black History Month. The students were playing hip-hop music and encouraging people to get up and dance. Kids of all races danced along, Miller said, with band teacher Dennis Lindsay even joining in at one point.

"We had teachers dancing; we had students dancing; everybody was having a great time. And then out of the corner of my eye I see a trashcan come at me. This kid actually threw a trashcan at me! I backed up and I looked at the kid, and I was like, 'Yo, homeboy, what's your problem?'

"And he was like, 'Cut that (f-) nigger music off! I don't want to hear that nigger rap music!'" Miller recalled.

"I was like, 'Are you serious?!' It was like a movie; the whole lunchroom went dead silent. And then he said it again: 'Cut that nigger music off! I don't want to hear that rap music! Shut that (s-) off!'"

Miller, who stands 6-foot-6 and weighs 325 pounds, was enraged, but he stayed calm, not wanting to do anything that would jeopardize his scholarship to North Dakota State College of Science, where he plans to play football in the fall.

"I knew what I had at stake: I'm 18 years old. I'm going to college. I'm playing football," Miller said. "So I looked at him, and I said, 'What's your problem? We don't have a problem with you. That's ridiculous.'"

Then things got even more heated.

"He looked dead in my eyes and he was like, 'I'll get me and my brother to kill you.'"

Miller said the incident was bad enough on its own, but it was made worse because it destroyed what had been a really good mood in the room.

"It was a heartbreaking moment," he said. "All the different ethnic groups were actually blending in and being as one for a long time - I haven't seen everybody actually be one for a while - and then the kid just started yelling."

Better, but not good enough

Miller said he has noticed a change in the Stillwater student body in the eight years since he moved into the district from Philadelphia. While most students still don't see most of the racism around them, he said they're now at least outraged when they do.

"It's getting better, to some extent. For one thing, kids are actually acknowledging what's happening," he said.

"Part of the problem is that when something does happen it gets dealt with so quick that no one knows about it. ... I told the principal, 'You can only sweep so much dust under the rug before it turns into a mountain - one day it's going to get so big where you're either going to run into it, or you're going to have to walk around it. I think it all came out when that thing happened in the lunchroom. A lot of kids didn't believe that stuff happened here until then. When they saw it face to face, a lot of people were shocked."

Stillwater Area High School Principal Chris Lennox said the incident was both disturbing and completely unacceptable, but more important is the fact that the overwhelming majority of Stillwater students have spent the past two weeks celebrating diversity and that the campus climate has improved over the last several years, thanks in part to the work of student groups like STAR and SPAA and the staff that advise them.

"The story here isn't about one incident, the story is about two weeks of celebration. One kid in a school of 2,000 made one unfortunate comment, but even that came only after everyone else in the building had been through the same room and seen the same event," Lennox said.

Following the incident, Lennox spoke to all students over the public address system, reiterating that the school has zero tolerance for racist behavior. He also sent a message to district administrators and high school staff describing the incident and encouraging them to use it as a teaching opportunity in their classrooms. The offending student, a white sophomore boy, received an eight-day suspension.

Though Miller said he is not particularly worried about the boy making good on his death threat, that does little to reassure his grandmother, Carol Miller, who said she has grown weary of watching her three grandchildren suffer in the Stillwater schools.

"You reach a point where you just get tired, particularly when you feel so many incidents have not been handled the way that they should have been. That's the way that the kids are feeling, too - and it's not just the minority kids, it's all the kids who have been targeted in some way or another," she said.

"From what we gather, this kid who threatened my grandson is troubled, which makes me even more concerned," said.

Also concerned is Travis' younger sister, Aunya Miller, now a junior at the high school. She said she doesn't know how her brother has been able to put up with the pressure of being a black man growing up in Stillwater. She now hopes to move back east and live with her aunt, so she can spend her senior year at a still-safe but more-accepting school in the Philadelphia suburbs.

"This was the last straw for me; I can't handle it out here anymore. The next thing that happens, I'm afraid I'm going to slip and do or say something I might regret," she said.

"I just wish people could stand in our shoes for a day in Stillwater and see how it is just walking down the hallway," she said. "All the black people hang out in one crowd because every time we go to another town they make fun of us and say all we do is fight and shoot people. I want them to know that we're not all about that; we're just like everybody else. The color of your skin makes no difference."

Aunya said she has a number of good friends in Stillwater, but that is no longer enough to keep her here.

"There are some kids who stand up for us, and they make me really proud. But usually people don't; they just fall back and don't do anything," she said.

What now?

So what will this latest incident of racism mean for Stillwater Area Schools, once everything is said and done?

On the face of it, "not much."

The threatening student will soon return to school, where staff and his fellow students will presumably keep a close eye on him. At the end of the year, Travis will graduate and head off to pursue his football dreams in North Dakota, while his sister Aunya will head back to Philadelphia to finish high school, if she gets her way. And Stillwater's other minority students will continue to meet formally and informally to support each other and encourage other students to be more accepting.

But one boy's tirade in the cafeteria last week made several hundred students keenly aware that racism still exists in Stillwater, and for Travis Miller, at least that's something.

"I'm glad it's out on the table now. I'm glad people are starting really to notice it, because as a senior about to leave I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to do anything.

"I just wanted someone to take notice," he said.

"This kid, he said something horrible at the wrong time and the wrong place, and a lot of people took notice. ... Good. It's getting out there. People are starting to really realize what's going on around here."

444trumpets
02-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Damn He Would Have Got Beat From Around Here...

maestro wooz
02-28-2007, 03:45 AM
A former wrestling champion from Columbia was charged Monday with murder, accused of beating another teen to death with an aluminum baseball bat during a melee at an Ellicott City high school that attracted dozens of youths to an apparently pre-arranged meeting in the middle of the night.

Kevin Francis Klink, 18, who graduated from Oakland Mills High School last year, faces a bail hearing Tuesday in the death of Robert Brazell, 18, of Ellicott City. They were among about two dozen youths from several Howard County high schools involved in a fight on a Mount Hebron High School athletic field about 12:30 a.m. Saturday, said Sherry Llewellyn, a Howard County police spokeswoman.

Brazell was taken by helicopter to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he underwent two surgeries for a serious head wound. He died Sunday.

Klink was charged Monday with first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, and reckless endangerment.

Klink won the Class 2A-1A South region wrestling title at 189 pounds last February in a tournament where he defeated Steve Sessa, the eventual state champion. Sessa, 19, of Columbia said Monday night that he saw Klink at this year's regional wrestling tournament Saturday -- hours after the melee -- at Atholton High School in Columbia.

"He was like, 'Hey, man, we've got to hang out.' I thought that everything was cool. He seemed happy," Sessa said.

Brazell was a senior at Mount Hebron High until he dropped out of school in December. His death is the first homicide in Howard County this year. The county had four homicides last year.

During the fight, Klink approached Brazell from behind and struck him in the head with the baseball bat, according to documents filed in Howard County District Court.

Llewelyn said investigators were unclear about the motive, but the incident appeared to stem from an earlier argument.

"These are two group of high school kids with an ongoing dispute, and they wanted to hash it out," she said. "We don't want people to jump to conclusions" that it was gang-related. "There is no indication that there were any gang-like actions -- there were no gang rituals in this."

Most fighters fled

Llewelyn said that when police arrived, they found most of the youths had fled the scene. A source close to the investigation said some people at the scene appeared to be intoxicated.

Two others who were allegedly involved in the melee, Jacob Sams and Evan Tubbs, both 17 years old and students at Hammond High School in Columbia, were treated at Shock Trauma for injuries and released, police said.

Police said witnesses gave details that led detectives to Klink. He was arrested Sunday evening at a gas station in Ellicott City.

Efforts to reach relatives at Brazell's residence and by telephone were unsuccessful. Brazell had been in Howard County District Court on Feb. 13 for charges from an October incident when police alleged he had marijuana in a DVD video case, according to court records.

T. Wayne Kirwan, a spokesman for the Howard County State's Attorney's Office, said prosecutors reached a pretrial agreement with Brazell to not prosecute him because he did not have a prior criminal record.

Brazell was ordered to serve 16 hours of community service, which was to begin in June, Kirwan said.

Mount Hebron High School teachers informed students of Brazell's death Monday, and grief counseling was provided by the school system. They were also encouraged to contact police with any information about Brazell's death.

Surprise, shock

Cindy Ardinger, the vice president of the Mount Hebron PTSA, said her daughter attended class with Brazell but did not know him well.

"I'm surprised; I'm truly shocked," Ardinger said. "Our children seemed to be unaware of it. Other parents were unaware of it."

Klink's residential Columbia neighborhood was quiet Monday afternoon. No one answered a doorbell at Klink's ranch-style brick home in the 6800 block of Allview Drive.

One neighbor, who declined to be identified, said that Klink was a peer mentor to the neighbor's mentally disabled foster son.

He described Klink as a "nice kid" who had made "bad decisions." The neighbor said Klink's family had lived in the neighborhood for more than 20 years.

Klink was charged in September with driving while impaired by alcohol, and in November a Howard County District Court judge sentenced him to probation before judgment.

Wrestling team

A co-captain on the wresting team, Klink compiled a record of 28 wins and five losses during 2005-2006, his senior season at Oakland Mills.

Brad Howell, Oakland Mills' wrestling coach, declined to comment when reached at his home Monday night.

No one could be reached at Brazell's home in a three-level apartment complex Monday in the 5100 block of Wheaton Way in Ellicott City.

Within a day after his death, tributes to Brazell were appearing on the Internet. On the social networking Web site facebook.com, a memorial had been set up.

The site, which had six pictures of Brazell, by Monday afternoon included 13 posts from friends expressing their shock and grief.

One post recalled "crazy football" games they had played and another spoke of days spent to gether in the fifth and sixth grades.

Brazell had a Myspace.com account in which he advocated the legalization of marijuana and drinking beer.

What is a gang

Although Howard County police said the melee was not gang-related, one expert said certain elements fit Maryland's definition of gang activity.

"Looking at the news, it sounded gang-related to me," said Frank Clark, director of the gang intervention and investigative unit for the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services. "Apparently these kids met up with the intention of fighting. It is one of the triggers we would look at being gang-related. There are a lot of other things that have to be look at."

A gang consists of three or more people who form to participate in illegal activities, create an atmosphere of intimidation or fear, and whose members have a common identifying sign, symbol or name, according to the state's definition.

Clark said gang activity exists in Howard County. Last year the Howard County school system in cluded Clark in a gang-prevention presentation.

444trumpets
02-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Chimpanzees 'hunt using spears'

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42603000/jpg/_42603109_tool_cb_203.jpg Chimps sharpened the spears with their teeth

Chimpanzees in Senegal have been observed making and using wooden spears to hunt other primates, according to a study in the journal Current Biology.

Researchers documented 22 cases of chimps fashioning tools to jab at smaller primates sheltering in cavities of hollow branches or tree trunks.
The report's authors, Jill Pruetz and Paco Bertolani, said the finding could have implications for human evolution.
Chimps had not been previously observed hunting other animals with tools.
Pruetz and Bertolani made the discovery at their research site in Fongoli, Senegal, between March 2005 and July 2006.
"There were hints that this behaviour might occur, but it was one time at a different site," said Jill Pruetz, assistant professor of anthropology at Iowa State University, US.
"While in Senegal for the spring semester, I saw about 13 different hunting bouts. So it really is habitual."
Jabbing weapon
Chimpanzees were observed jabbing the spears into hollow trunks or branches, over and over again. After the chimp removed the tool, it would frequently smell or lick it.
In the vast majority of cases, the chimps used the tools in the manner of a spear, not as probes. The researchers say they were using enough force to injure an animal that may have been hiding inside.
However, they did not photograph the behaviour, or capture it on film.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42604000/jpg/_42604057_chimp2_iowastate_203.jpg Adolescent females exhibited the behaviour most frequently (Image: M Gaspersic)

In one case, Pruetz and Bertolani, from the Leverhulme Centre for Human Evolutionary Studies in Cambridge, UK, witnessed a chimpanzee extract a bushbaby with a spear.
In most cases, the Fongoli chimpanzees carried out four or more steps to manufacture spears for hunting.
In all but one of the cases, chimps broke off a living branch to make their tool. They would then trim the side branches and leaves.
In a number of cases, chimps also trimmed the ends of the branch and stripped it of bark. Some chimps also sharpened the tip of the tool with their teeth.
Female lead
Adult males have long been regarded as the hunters in chimp groups.
But the authors of the paper in Current Biology said females, particularly adolescent females, and young chimps in general were seen exhibiting this behaviour more frequently than adult males.
"It's classic in primates that when there is a new innovation, particularly in terms of tool use, the younger generations pick it up very quickly. The last ones to pick up are adults, mainly the males," said Dr Pruetz, who led the National Geographic Society-funded project.
This is because young chimps pick the skill up from their mothers, with whom they spend a lot of their time.
"It's a niche that males seem to ignore," Dr Pruetz. Many areas where chimpanzees live are also home to the red colobus monkey, which the chimps hunt. However, the Senegal site is lacking in this species, so chimps may have needed to adopt a new hunting strategy to catch a different prey - bushbaby. The authors conclude that their findings support a theory that females may have played a similarly important role in the evolution of tool technology among early humans.

bizzlez
02-28-2007, 03:21 PM
thats crazy

aren't chimpanzees strong enough to rip a human apart? or is that another type of monkey?

444trumpets
02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
yeah i heard that wild chimpazee skit tearing up a dude got to get em in groups i guess

Jet Set
03-01-2007, 03:52 AM
Didn't chimps use sticks to eat ants? sticking tehm in the ant hill and getting it out to eat the ants?

Last year I was part of a research proramme to the effect of THC on someone during some tests. They were looking if you could help people from phobia with the use of THC. So there is alot of research done towards using Virtual Reality in the Psychology corner.

444trumpets
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Didn't chimps use sticks to eat ants? sticking tehm in the ant hill and getting it out to eat the ants?

yes ive seen that with the chimps^^^^^^4t

Last year I was part of a research proramme to the effect of THC on someone during some tests. They were looking if you could help people from phobia with the use of THC. So there is alot of research done towards using Virtual Reality in the Psychology corner.cool....^^^^^

444trumpets
03-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Honeybees Vanish, Leaving Keepers in Peril
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/02/27/business/27bees_1_600.jpg

Ann Johansson for The New York Times
Isaias Corona of Bradshaw Honey Farm, near Visalia, Calif., putting corn syrup — bee food — into hives. The farm has lost about half its bees.

By ALEXEI BARRIONUEVO (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/alexei_barrionuevo/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
Published: February 27, 2007

VISALIA, Calif., Feb. 23 — David Bradshaw has endured countless stings during his life as a beekeeper, but he got the shock of his career when he opened his boxes last month and found half of his 100 million bees missing.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/02/27/business/27bees_2_190.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:pop_me_up2('http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/02/27/business/27bees.2.ready.html', '27bees_2_ready', 'width=720,height=600,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,r esizable=yes'))
A honeybee collects nectar from an almond tree in bloom

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/02/27/business/0227-biz-web2BEES190.gifGraphic (http://javascript<b></b>:pop_me_up2('http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/02/27/business/20070227_BEES_GRAPHIC.html', '482_520', 'width=482,height=520,location=no,scrollbars=yes,t oolbars=no,resizable=yes'))
Relying on Bees (http://javascript<b></b>:pop_me_up2('http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/02/27/business/20070227_BEES_GRAPHIC.html', '482_520', 'width=482,height=520,location=no,scrollbars=yes,t oolbars=no,resizable=yes'))

In 24 states throughout the country, beekeepers have gone through similar shocks as their bees have been disappearing inexplicably at an alarming rate, threatening not only their livelihoods but also the production of numerous crops, including California almonds, one of the nation’s most profitable.
“I have never seen anything like it,” Mr. Bradshaw, 50, said from an almond orchard here beginning to bloom. “Box after box after box are just empty. There’s nobody home.”
The sudden mysterious losses are highlighting the critical link that honeybees play in the long chain that gets fruit and vegetables to supermarkets and dinner tables across the country.
Beekeepers have fought regional bee crises before, but this is the first national affliction.
Now, in a mystery worthy of Agatha Christie, bees are flying off in search of pollen and nectar and simply never returning to their colonies. And nobody knows why. Researchers say the bees are presumably dying in the fields, perhaps becoming exhausted or simply disoriented and eventually falling victim to the cold.
As researchers scramble to find answers to the syndrome they have decided to call “colony collapse disorder,” growers are becoming openly nervous about the capability of the commercial bee industry to meet the growing demand for bees to pollinate dozens of crops, from almonds to avocados to kiwis.
Along with recent stresses on the bees themselves, as well as on an industry increasingly under consolidation, some fear this disorder may force a breaking point for even large beekeepers.
A Cornell University (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/cornell_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org) study has estimated that honeybees annually pollinate more than $14 billion worth of seeds and crops in the United States, mostly fruits, vegetables and nuts. “Every third bite we consume in our diet is dependent on a honeybee to pollinate that food,” said Zac Browning, vice president of the American Beekeeping Federation.
The bee losses are ranging from 30 to 60 percent on the West Coast, with some beekeepers on the East Coast and in Texas reporting losses of more than 70 percent; beekeepers consider a loss of up to 20 percent in the offseason to be normal.
Beekeepers are the nomads of the agriculture world, working in obscurity in their white protective suits and frequently trekking around the country with their insects packed into 18-wheelers, looking for pollination work.
Once the domain of hobbyists with a handful of backyard hives, beekeeping has become increasingly commercial and consolidated. Over the last two decades, the number of beehives, now estimated by the Agriculture Department to be 2.4 million, has dropped by a quarter and the number of beekeepers by half.
Pressure has been building on the bee industry. The costs to maintain hives, also known as colonies, are rising along with the strain on bees of being bred to pollinate rather than just make honey. And beekeepers are losing out to suburban sprawl in their quest for spots where bees can forage for nectar to stay healthy and strong during the pollination season.
“There are less beekeepers, less bees, yet more crops to pollinate,” Mr. Browning said. “While this sounds sweet for the bee business, with so much added loss and expense due to disease, pests and higher equipment costs, profitability is actually falling.”
Some 15 worried beekeepers convened in Florida this month to brainstorm with researchers how to cope with the extensive bee losses. Investigators are exploring a range of theories, including viruses, a fungus and poor bee nutrition.
They are also studying a group of pesticides that were banned in some European countries to see if they are somehow affecting bees’ innate ability to find their way back home.
It could just be that the bees are stressed out. Bees are being raised to survive a shorter offseason, to be ready to pollinate once the almond bloom begins in February. That has most likely lowered their immunity to viruses.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/02/27/business/27bees_3_190.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:pop_me_up2('http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/02/27/business/27bees.3.ready.html', '27bees_3_ready', 'width=412,height=600,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,r esizable=yes'))
Ann Johansson for The New York Times
Rosa Patiño scraping dried honey from hives that once housed bees in Terra Bella, Calif.

Mites have also damaged bee colonies, and the insecticides used to try to kill mites are harming the ability of queen bees to spawn as many worker bees. The queens are living half as long as they did just a few years ago.
Researchers are also concerned that the willingness of beekeepers to truck their colonies from coast to coast could be adding to bees’ stress, helping to spread viruses and mites and otherwise accelerating whatever is afflicting them.
Dennis van Engelsdorp, a bee specialist with the state of Pennsylvania who is part of the team studying the bee colony collapses, said the “strong immune suppression” investigators have observed “could be the AIDS (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/aids/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) of the bee industry,” making bees more susceptible to other diseases that eventually kill them off.
Growers have tried before to do without bees. In past decades, they have used everything from giant blowers to helicopters to mortar shells to try to spread pollen across the plants. More recently researchers have been trying to develop “self-compatible” almond trees that will require fewer bees. One company is even trying to commercialize the blue orchard bee, which is virtually stingless and works at colder temperatures than the honeybee.
Beekeepers have endured two major mite infestations since the 1980s, which felled many hobbyist beekeepers, and three cases of unexplained disappearing disorders as far back as 1894. But those episodes were confined to small areas, Mr. van Engelsdorp said.
Today the industry is in a weaker position to deal with new stresses. A flood of imported honey from China and Argentina has depressed honey prices and put more pressure on beekeepers to take to the road in search of pollination contracts. Beekeepers are trucking tens of billions of bees around the country every year.
California’s almond crop, by far the biggest in the world, now draws more than half of the country’s bee colonies in February. The crop has been both a boon to commercial beekeeping and a burden, as pressure mounts for the industry to fill growing demand. Now spread over 580,000 acres stretched across 300 miles of California’s Central Valley, the crop is expected to grow to 680,000 acres by 2010.
Beekeepers now earn many times more renting their bees out to pollinate crops than in producing honey. Two years ago a lack of bees for the California almond crop caused bee rental prices to jump, drawing beekeepers from the East Coast.
This year the price for a bee colony is about $135, up from $55 in 2004, said Joe Traynor, a bee broker in Bakersfield, Calif.
A typical bee colony ranges from 15,000 to 30,000 bees. But beekeepers’ costs are also on the rise. In the past decade, fuel, equipment and even bee boxes have doubled and tripled in price.
The cost to control mites has also risen, along with the price of queen bees, which cost about $15 each, up from $10 three years ago.
To give bees energy while they are pollinating, beekeepers now feed them protein supplements and a liquid mix of sucrose and corn syrup carried in tanker-sized trucks costing $12,000 per load. Over all, Mr. Bradshaw figures, in recent years he has spent $145 a hive annually to keep his bees alive, for a profit of about $11 a hive, not including labor expenses. The last three years his net income has averaged $30,000 a year from his 4,200 bee colonies, he said.
“A couple of farmers have asked me, ‘Why are you doing this?’ ” Mr. Bradshaw said. “I ask myself the same thing. But it is a job I like. It is a lifestyle. I work with my dad every day. And now my son is starting to work with us.”

Almonds fetch the highest prices for bees, but if there aren’t enough bees to go around, some growers may be forced to seek alternatives to bees or change their variety of trees.
“It would be nice to know that we have a dependable source of honey bees,” said Martin Hein, an almond grower based in Visalia. “But at this point I don’t know that we have that for the amount of acres we have got.”
To cope with the losses, beekeepers have been scouring elsewhere for bees to fulfill their contracts with growers. Lance Sundberg, a beekeeper from Columbus, Mont., said he spent $150,000 in the last two weeks buying 1,000 packages of bees — amounting to 14 million bees — from Australia.
He is hoping the Aussie bees will help offset the loss of one-third of the 7,600 hives he manages in six states. “The fear is that when we mix the bees the die-offs will continue to occur,” Mr. Sundberg said.
Migratory beekeeping is a lonely life that many compare to truck driving. Mr. Sundberg spends more than half the year driving 20 truckloads of bees around the country. In Terra Bella, an hour south of Visalia, Jack Brumley grimaced from inside his equipment shed as he watched Rosa Patiño use a flat tool to scrape dried honey from dozens of beehive frames that once held bees. Some 2,000 empty boxes — which once held one-third of his total hives — were stacked to the roof.
Beekeepers must often plead with landowners to allow bees to be placed on their land to forage for nectar. One large citrus grower has pushed for California to institute a “no-fly zone” for bees of at least two miles to prevent them from pollinating a seedless form of Mandarin orange.
But the quality of forage might make a difference. Last week Mr. Bradshaw used a forklift to remove some of his bee colonies from a spot across a riverbed from orange groves. Only three of the 64 colonies there have died or disappeared.
“It will probably take me two to three more years to get back up,” he said. “Unless I spend gobs of money I don’t have.”

444trumpets
03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
China's 1st lunar probe ready for launch

Updated: 2007-03-06 22:25

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-03/06/xin_24030406223354818281.jpg
A sketch map of the Chang'e I

BEIJING -- China has finished assembling its first lunar satellite probe after three years of research and development, Luan Enjie, chief commander of the country's lunar exploration program, told Xinhua Tuesday.
"The carrier rocket, a Long March 3-A, which will be used to push the orbiter, Chang'e I, into the outer space, is currently under testing," Luan said on the sidelines of the annual session of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), China's top advisory body.
Luan said that almost 10,000 scientists, experts and technicians have joined the program. "Starting from scratch, we developed the Chang'e I lunar orbiter and the whole subsidiary project by ourselves within three years," he said.
Another leading scientist, former commander-in-cheif of the launch vehicle system of the country's manned space mission Huang Chunping, told Xinhua early Tuesday that the Chang'e I will be launched later this year. But no date was given for the flight.
The orbiter will provide 3D images of the moon's surface, probe the distribution of 14 usable elements on the moon, study lunar microwaves and estimate the thickness of the moon's soil.
Huang also said the country's new generation carrier rocket, designed to launch a space station, will be ready in seven to eight years.
The new generation large-scale carrier rocket is likely to be named Long March 5 and its payload capacity can be increased from nine tons to 25 tons, he said.
Design of the new generation carrier rocket's engines has been completed. Researchers succeeded in the engine's first testing in mid-2006, said Huang, also a member of the CPPCC National Committee.
Huang also told Xinhua that China's goal to land spacemen on the moon can surely be achieved in 15 years.
China's moon exploration program will be carried out in three stages. The orbiter will be followed by a remote-controlled lunar rover. In the third phase, a module will drill out a chunk of the moon and bring it back to earth.
Luan said China started a program of developing large-scale carrier rocket last year. "China is expected to have 1,060 carrier rockets after eight years. By then, the country's ability to launch satellites will be greatly improved." However, he said that the most difficult problem for China to put astronauts on the moon is the low thrust of its rockets. "Moon landing needs a rocket with 3,000 to 4,000 tons of thrust. But currently the most powerful thrust carrier rocket is at around 600 tons."

tekunique
04-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Family Outraged by Racial Slur Found on Sofa Label

A lovely coffee-brown sofa set was delivered to the home of Doris Moore and her family. But shortly after the furniture (http://www.associatedcontent.com/theme/497/furniture.html) was delivered, one of her young children made a disturbing discovery: the presence of a racial slur on the label describing the product.

THE DISCOVERY

The Mississauga, Canada couple was shocked when their seven year-old daughter curiously examined the furniture (http://www.associatedcontent.com/theme/497/furniture.html) and began reading the labels underneath.

"Mommy, what is n*gger brown?" she asked.

Doris Moore, a 30 year-old black woman originally from New York was shocked.

"I went over and just couldn't believe my eyes," Moore proclaimed. The label, which was detected by her daughter shortly after the delivery men left, read as follows:

Item: Abby

Description: Sofa

Color: N*gger-brown

PO No: HSO601-07

Net Weight: 67 kg

Gross Weight: 75.4 kg

Doris Moore also claims that an examination of the furniture (http://www.associatedcontent.com/theme/497/furniture.html) set's other pieces (loveseat and chair) revealed the same vulgar description as the sofa.

NO ONE TAKES THE BLAME...

Moore, who has another daughter and son, has admitted that the offensive word has never been directed to her. But she attempted to explain the nature of the word to her children, who were unfamiliar with its meaning. She explained to them that it's a "very, very bad word that makes [one] feel degraded."

The day after the discovery was made, Moore says that she called Vanaik Furniture (http://www.associatedcontent.com/theme/497/furniture.html) and Mattress store, where the purchase was made, to address the issue. But her phone call was unreturned. At least three other calls were made to the store. Those were unreturned as well.

The Star, a news publication in Canada was able to reach Vanaik Furniture store's assistant manager, Romesh Kumar for his response. However, he deferred responsibility to the sofa supplier, Cosmos Furniture---and advised Moore that she would need to take the matter up with that company.

The owner of Cosmos Furniture, Paul Kumar (no relation to Romesh) was contacted. But he denied any knowledge of the racial slur, and advised Moore that his products were obtained from overseas in China.

Both companies, Cosmos and Vanaik Furniture (http://www.associatedcontent.com/theme/497/furniture.html) have vowed to examine other pieces of furniture (http://www.associatedcontent.com/theme/497/furniture.html) in their stores to make sure than any other vulgar labels are removed. In the meanwhile, Doris Moore and her family are reluctant to enjoy the furniture.

"Every time I sit on it, I'll think of that." Moore declares about the distasteful discovery.

http://images.associatedcontent.com/300_0000006200_0000076993.jpg

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/208377/family_outraged_by_racial_slur_found.html

Big Risk
04-10-2007, 03:20 PM
omg!!! Wtf Llmfaoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Inspectah_Dirk
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
This was probably purchased in the store were Jasper works.

oLd_KaiNry
04-10-2007, 03:51 PM
that would be a good ad to southern rap

i got a black bentley with black dubs
nigger-brown interior
matching the skin color

Sexy Jasper
04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAA!!!

This was probably purchased in the store were Jasper works.
Haha

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Chinese people are weird, I found the very same label on a sofa we sell... "nigger brown"... strangely enough, the sofa was beige and not very niggerish at all.

Sexy Jasper
04-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Ah come on, who merged this. Scumbag.

V4D3R
04-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Robot Feat: Android Picks Up Human Dummy

http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/070411_robot_up.html

A human-sized weightlifting android successfully picked up a 145 pound humanoid doll from a bed in Tokyo recently. This remarkable feat was accomplished by an android robot that itself weighs just 154 pounds, created by University of Tokyo professor Yasuo Kuniyoshi and his team of engineers. Of course, the first prerequisite for a body-slamming, wrestling robot is the ability to lift an opponent as big as yourself. The android robot (see photo) was able to perform this feat without large motors due to an interesting advance in sensor technology (it has more than 1800 embedded sensors) and software that can interpret the data.
"Large motors are not safe for use in household robots," explains Kuniyoshi. "Only a small amount of power is applied at each of this robot's joints, but it can successfully move heavy objects by using the tactile sensors to regulate how it lifts and carries things." The weightlifting robot is also able to execute different maneuvers depending upon the situation. In picking up a thirty kilo package from a table, it slid the package to the edge of the table and then picked it up with the other arm.
To pick up a person-sized doll from a bed (a task you might assign a robot nurse), it slid its arms under the doll, lifted and backed away.
Professor Kuniyoshi states that the new android robot has potential uses in the nursing care industry or the moving profession.
To get a better idea of the advance involved, compare this android robot to RI-MAN, a robot nurse developed in the RIKEN Bio-Mimetic Control Research Center. RI-MAN (see photo) can only pick up about a third as much weight.
Because it is clearly intended to be man-sized, this is a good time to remember the origin of the term robot - from Karel Capek's 1920 play R.U.R. (Rossem's Universal Robots.)
Read more about RI-MAN at RI-MAN And Roujin-Z Robots: Elder Care Fact And Fiction and RI-MAN Face Tracking, Electronic Nose Robot ; also, for more information about advances in nursing robotics see Robot Nurses Seem Unavoidable and Penelope the Robo-Nurse. Via Android shows off people-lifting skills.
(This Science Fiction in the News story used with permission from Technovelgy.com - where science meets fiction.)

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
WOW^

The Hound
04-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Man gave daughter to net buddy pedophile

April 12, 2007 07:18pm
Article from: AAP
Font size: + (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21546176-1702,00.html#) - (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21546176-1702,00.html#)
Send this article: Print (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21546176-1702,00.html#) Email (http://www.news.com.au/email/popup/0,23605,21546176-1702,00.html)

A FATHER who let a pedophile he met on the internet sexually exploit his five-year-old daughter has been sentenced to seven years jail.
The 40-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was recently found guilty by a Brisbane District Court jury of indecently dealing with a child with a circumstance of aggravation and possessing child computer pornography.
He was aged in his early to mid-30s when the offences occurred.
Judge Hugh Botting today sentenced the man to a total of seven years jail but ordered he be eligible for parole after serving half the sentence.
"You provided your daughter for his use – someone who was your own lineal descendent," Judge Botting said during his sentencing remarks.
"The enormity of betrayal of trust as a father is ... a very significant factor."
He said the other man, whom the father met in an online chatroom, was connected with a network of pedophiles through the internet.
"He was a proactive person seeking contacts and people to engage in child abuse," Judge Botting said.
He said the man and the young girl had been photographed in various indecent positions.
Indecent photos were also taken of the daughter alone.
The trial heard allegations that the father had taken the pictures but the jury didn't accept that.
The court also heard the father set down some conditions when he handed over his daughter, one being no penetration.
The other man pleaded guilty in 2004 to similar child sex charges and testified against the father at his trial.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21546176-1702,00.html

V4D3R
04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Let Slow Death be the Penalty...

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
04-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Censoring when will it stop?? Will it ever stop?? Will it get worse??

Citing his concern for "the morals of our society," Burlingame schools Superintendent Sonny Da Marto has stopped four eighth-grade classes from reading "Kaffir Boy," an award-winning memoir of growing up in a South African ghetto during apartheid.

Da Marto had banned the book from the Burlingame Intermediate School late last month when the 13- and 14-year-old students were nearly halfway through it, said their English teacher, Amelia Ramos, who was required to take the books back from 116 students.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/04/12/MNGKFP7A9K1.DTL

J.T.S.
04-12-2007, 03:55 PM
MOUNDSVILLE, W.Va. - Police looking for a purse snatcher were able to flush the suspect out from the portable toilet where he was hiding.

http://tr.adinterax.com/re/ogilvy,SMB_300x250_bubbles,C=374228_566543_569607, P=Yahoo,A=YAHOO_SMALL_BUSINESS/0/0/in,ti/http://mi.adinterax.com/customer/ogilvy/0/031207_b37892_v1_300x250_lrec_bubbles.swf
"A Port-A-Potty is not a good place to hide," police Chief James Kudlak said Wednesday. "There's only one way out."
Johnny Snodgrass, 21, apparently matched the description of a man caught on videotape at a store where an 89-year-old woman's purse was stolen in March and from a nearby video poker establishment where her wallet was found, police said.
The thief got away with about $45.
Acting on a tip, police went to a construction site where Snodgrass was working on Monday to question him, but he ran into the portable restroom. Officers yelled for him to come out and he soon complied, police said.
Snodgrass was being in jail on $5,000 bond on Wednesday. He's scheduled to appear before a magistrate on April 25.
Kudlak said Snodgrass claims he is innocent.
Court officials said Snodgrass did not yet have an attorney.

Email Story (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AldIptlc.7hOkEDRU62odpguQE4F/SIG=191i5mbvj/**http%3A//m2f.news.yahoo.com/mailto/%3Fprop=news%26locale=us%26url=http%253A%252F%252F news.yahoo.com%252Fs%252Fap%252F20070412%252Fap_on _fe_st%252Fportable_toilet_arrest%26title=Cops%253 A%2BSuspect%2Bnabbed%2Bin%2Bportable%2Btoilet%26h1 =ap/20070412/portable_toilet_arrest%26h2=T%26h3=817)
IM Story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_fe_st/portable_toilet_arrest;_ylt=AvacJbjv3ZDk9SB844fIIa 8uQE4F)
Printable View (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_fe_st/portable_toilet_arrest&printer=1;_ylt=AlKig2e882Ou2Q0uEPeBwdAuQE4F)RECOMM END THIS STORY

V4D3R
04-13-2007, 01:10 AM
U.S. Navy shows off terror-fighting dolphins

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/12/dolphin.defense.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

SAN DIEGO, California (AP) -- Koa, an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, will do anything for a fresh fish -- including alerting her U.S. Navy handlers to potential terrorists.
Koa is one of about 100 marine mammals housed at Naval Base Point Loma, located on a scenic peninsula jutting into San Diego Harbor.
Officials at the base briefly opened their doors to the media Thursday for the first time since the start of the war in Iraq. The demonstration came a few weeks after the Navy announced plans to ship up to 30 dolphins and sea lions to patrol the waters of Washington state's Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor, home to nuclear submarines, ships and laboratories.
Even in today's high-tech world of underwater robotics and unmanned vehicles, the Navy says animals like Koa are its best line of defense against attacks from the sea.
"Biologically, they are better than anything we have ever made," said Mike Rothe, head of science for the Navy's marine mammal program.
About 75 dolphins and 25 sea lions are in the program. Both species can find mines and swimmers in murky waters. Working in unison, the dolphins are trained to drop a flashing light by the target, while sea lions can attach a tether to it.
The dolphins live in a series of interconnected pens by several jetties in the harbor. Most enclosures are about 30 feet (9 meters) wide by about 30 feet (9 meters) long, with net floors about 10 feet (3 meters) down. By opening gates between the pens, handlers let the dolphins interact for much of the day, Rothe said.
About 200 technicians, trainers and other staff care for the animals. Petty Officer 2nd Class Christopher Dallaglio said all the dolphins had different personalities and seemed to enjoy their work. He helps look after Ten, a 24-year-old Atlantic bottlenose.
"When she was born, she was perfect, and she's perfect still," he said. "She's a real sweetheart."
The Navy's sea mammal program started in the late 1950s and grew to comprise 140 animals during the Cold War. Dolphins helped protect a pier in the Vietnam War. A veteran from that conflict, a dolphin nearing 50 years of age, still lives in San Diego at the naval base.
The last time the marine mammals were deployed overseas was in the Iraqi harbor of Umm Qasr in 2003, where they located underwater mines and cleared a path for Marines to land. They also were used in San Diego in 1996 when they patrolled the bay during the Republican Party's national convention.
Rogue swimmers planting bombs pose a real threat, said Cmdr. Jon Wood, who deployed to Iraq with the mammals. He said there were several cases of insurgent forces laying charges on floating objects in Vietnam.
The Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior was sunk in 1985 in Auckland Harbor, New Zealand, after saboteurs planted limpet mines on its hull shortly before it was to sail to protest France's nuclear tests in the South Pacific. Two French spies were convicted in the bombing which killed one person.
By the late 1990s, U.S. Navy officials began phasing out the program, expecting technology to take over. But that still has not happened and the dolphins and sea lions will be used until at least 2012.
In response to questions about whether the animals have been trained to attack, officials said no.
"We have never trained any Navy marine mammals to do any harming, attacking or stabbing," Navy spokesman Tom LaPuzza said. "We have never done anything like that, and we never will."
Resistance to Navy plans

Animal rights activists are resisting Navy plans to ship the dolphins and sea lions to Washington state. They worry that waters in the region, which are about 10 degrees Fahrenheit (6 degrees Celsius) cooler than in San Diego Harbor, could put stress on the animals. They also are concerned diseases could be transmitted to the area's native orca population.
"There are no bottlenose dolphins in these waters for a reason and I would say it's because it's too darn cold," said Seattle-area marine biologist Toni Frohoff.
Protesters showed up at public meetings held by the Navy in the Seattle area to discuss the Navy's plan. Several of them knitted woolly hats and sailor uniforms for the animals as a way of drawing attention to the issue -- costumes that could never actually be worn.
"People contributed some handsome hats, and there's talk of mittens," said Knitting for Dolphins member Janet Bailey.
Dr. Stephanie Wong, a military veterinarian, said the dolphins are closely monitored for any signs of disease.
The Navy's plan to ship marine mammals to Washington state is still in its early stages. Officials aim to complete an environmental impact report by the fall.

The Hound
04-18-2007, 04:49 AM
Beijing bans smelly taxi drivers

From correspondents in Beijing
April 18, 2007
BEIJING taxi drivers face a lifestyle makeover before the Olympics that will mean the end of spitting, smoking, weird hairstyles and dangly earrings - and the beginning of regular baths.
Under the new regulations, which came into effect today, drivers whose cabs are smelly will be suspended for two days while they undergo "rectification and reform" guidance, the Beijing News,/i> said.
Cabbies who spit or smoke, and female taxi drivers who sport big earrings or radical hairstyles, will also be banned under rules aimed at improving the city's image ahead of next year's Olympics.
Beijing's taxi drivers often sleep, eat and smoke in their vehicles.
"Many drivers pay no attention to appearances," Yao Kuo, the head of the transportation management office, was quoted as saying.
"Their mouths stink of garlic and their bodies smell, making the whole cab foul. It creates a bad impression for the taxi industry."
Yao said that outrageous dress styles were also now off limits for drivers of the 70,000 cabs on the streets of the Chinese capital.
"As a service industry, taxis have to think about appearances," Yao said.
"So from now on dying hair a bright red or yellow and making weird hairdos is banned."
Shi Xiangpeng, a top political advisor visiting from Hong Kong last month, complained bitterly about the odour of Beijing's taxis.
"Sometimes I could smell an unbearable stink once I got into the cab, but was afraid of being too rude to get out immediately," he was quoted by Xinhua news agency as saying.
"A smelly cab, though a trivial thing, may impair the country's international image when Beijing hosts the Olympic Games next year, as it's not polite to the guests," he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21578816-23218,00.html

GuardianOne
04-19-2007, 03:24 AM
From Michael Padera in NAIROBI, Kenya

ZIMBABWEAN delegates attending the 21st Session of the Governing Council of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (commonly known by the acronym UN-Habitat) here, have shot down a proposal to send a mission to Zimbabwe to talk to social groups involved in housing.

The delegation said money earmarked for such trips should instead be invested in proper housing delivery.

UN-Habitat is mandated to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing shelter for all

Reacting to a presentation on the proposed visit to Harare by Mr Cesare Otolini, the co-ordinator of the International Alliance of Inhabitants, Bindura mayor Advocate Martin Dinha said it would be in the best interest of Zimbabweans if the group sent a mission to build houses.

Mr Otolini had indicated that the group would come to Zimbabwe to try and bring the Government, local authorities and social groups together with a view to agreeing on the modalities of availing accommodation to people displaced by Operation Murambatsvina.

But Advocate Dinha instead accused UN-Habitat and Mr Otolini of "celebrating poverty", saying this was evident in the existence of slum settlements like Kibera in Kenya, which, if removed, would leave the agency without work. "Why another mission to Zimbabwe to support social movements? Why not send a mission to build houses? You people celebrate poverty," said Advocate Dinha.

Zimbabwe Local Government Association president Cde Jerry Gotora echoed Advocate Dinha’s sentiments but urged the proposed mission to consult the right people if it succeeds to visit Zimbabwe.

UN-Habitat under secretary general Mrs Anna Tibaijuka said Zimbabwe was far ahead of even some developed countries in terms of the management of slum settlements.

She said only 3,4 percent of the country’s population was living in slums while the figure in some developed countries was 5 percent.

Mrs Tibaijuka said some people affected under Operation Murambatsvina were, in fact, victims of a skewed colonial system that outlawed blacks from urban centres.

With independence people began to settle in urban centres leading to an unplanned boom.

She said some of the victims had come to Zimbabwe as migrant labourers to work on white commercial farms who flocked to cities following the land reform programme and were then caught up under Operation Murambatsvina.

Making references to Kibera, she said Africa should be ashamed to have people living in slums.

Mrs Tibaijuka said for the first time in the history of Kibera, the Kenyan government had put a budget for slum upgrading.

Responding to concerns by the Zimbabwean delegation, she claimed her recommendations after her mission to Zimbabwe following Operation Murambatsvina had stood the test of time. She said the recommendations were also meant to garner international solidarity on the situation in the country.

V4D3R
04-19-2007, 12:55 PM
http://www.livescience.com/technology/070416_mit_robot.html

A new breed of robots could soon break free of assembly line duties to assist human living in myriad ways.
MIT researchers recently demonstrated the capabilities of such a robot, named Domo (http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=070413_mit_robot_domo4_02.jpg&cap=An+assistive+robot+has+to+be+able+to+sense+whe n+a+human+is+touching+it.+Domo+has+springs+in+its+ arms,+hands+and+neck+that+can+sense+force+and+resp ond+to+it.+Credit%3A+Donna+Coveney), which, like the robot in a recent General Motors ad, can transcend mass-production's repetition. It is designed to interact with humans and adapt to its environment in ways previously only imagined in science fiction (http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/).
Presently, Domo can identify objects, reach for them and place them on shelves. Unlike an assembly-line robot, Domo can sense its surroundings using a pair of video cameras for eyes; they are connected to 12 computers. The cameras are built into remarkably human-looking "eyeballs," for a reason, said Domo's developer, Aaron Edsinger.
"I found that, by making them immediately understandable as eyes, it was very easy to read [Domo's] eye-gaze direction, which is important when working with it," Edsinger said. "They also greatly increase people's comfort level with the robot."
Domo has been designed to tune into unexpected motion, allowing it to function within human environments. It is especially sensitive to human faces (http://www.livescience.com/history/ap_051215_mona_lisa.html), which is necessary for social interaction. When Domo spots motion resembling a human face, the robot locks on it.
By your command
A recent demonstration showed off Domo's voice recognition capabilities. "Hey, Domo," Edsinger said, and Domo responded in kind. "Shelf, Domo," Edsinger said. Domo gingerly reached for a nearby shelf with an arm-like appendage of metal and wires, and touched the shelf to verify its existence.
Next, Edsinger placed a bag of coffee beans in Domo's other hand. By wiggling it and making optical measurements, Domo deduced the size of the object. Then Domo figured out how to transfer the bag from one hand to the other, and then placed the bag on the shelf.
A robot capable of such tasks may serve many useful purposes for the elderly or mobility-impaired, especially in light of aging Baby Boomers.
Edsinger, who has worked on Domo for the past three years, describes it as the "next generation" of MIT robots (http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/060802_hug_bear.html). Domo follows in the robotic footsteps of Kismet, designed for human interaction, and Cog, which had the capability of manipulating unfamiliar objects.
Don't touch me there
Unlike its predecessors, Domo also has the ability to sense touch, necessary for safe interaction with humans. Springs in its arms, hands and neck can sense force, allowing it to respond appropriately. Pushing its hand will make it move in the direction of the push.
"By placing that spring in there, you get physical compliance that makes the whole body sort of springy, which makes it safer for human interaction," Edsinger said. But too much force or moving Domo's arms in the wrong direction will produce a vocal response of "ouch."
Original funding for Domo came from NASA, and the project is now supported by Toyota, which could apply such a robot for assembly line production. Intelligent robots could work together with people (http://www.livescience.com/technology/061102_human_robot.html) to make workers more productive and save manufacturing jobs from being sent overseas, Edsinger said.
The name "Domo" was inspired by the Japanese phrase, domo arigato [thank you very much], Edsinger told LiveScience, and also by the Styx song, "Mr. Roboto." Also, the two strong syllables are easy for the speech recognition system to understand.

Dokuro
04-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Clamping down on rapists in South Africa

Wed, 04/11/2007 - 2:12pm.
http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/system/files?file=images/rapex.JPG
Later this month, South African women will be able to purchase the Rapex (http://www.rapestop.net/index.asp) device, marketed as the "anti-rape condom." The rapex, shaped like a female condom, is worn internally and equipped with 25 teeth in its lining. The razor-sharp teeth fasten on the attacker's penis if he attempts penetration. Since the device does no lasting damage (http://www.rapestop.net/faq/index.asp) to the attacker, it is completely legal and will sell for 1 Rand (around 14 cents) when it hits stores. The majority of women surveyed (http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/controversy-in-south-africa-over-device-to-snare-rapists/2005/09/01/1125302683893.html) about the device said they would be willing to use it.
The inventor of Rapex, South African Sonette Ehler, a former medical technician, got the idea (http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/controversy-in-south-africa-over-device-to-snare-rapists/2005/09/01/1125302683893.html) when a traumatized rape victim lamented to her, "If only I had teeth down there."
Of course, the product is not without controversy or critics (http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2053280,00.html). Some argue that the device may encourage rapists to attack their victims further, placing women in even greater danger. Ehler's response (http://www.rapestop.net/faq/index.asp) is that women are already faced with that danger, and at least this way the man is disabled momentarily, allowing the victim to get away. Others criticize the method as "vengeful," to which Ehler responds: "[It's] a medieval device for a medieval deed." More philosophically, some argue that the idea places the burden of stopping rape on the victims rather than the perpetrators. But the reality, according to Ehler, is that "[n]obody can make you safe except you." Given that South Africa has the highest per capita rate of rape of any country in the world, at a reported 119 per 100,000 people (which translates to around 1.7 million women raped each year), she may have a compelling argument.

who ever thoght of this should get the noble peace prize

crass
04-21-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm sure this will affect jasper if he ever visits south africa

EAGLE EYE
04-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey Dane! You can wear one in your asshole so that you dont get ass-fucked again at the local swap meet.

pep
04-21-2007, 09:14 PM
they must be raping like crazy in South africa...yo, that ass fucked at the local swap meet line...yo, I been stressed all day and that sht just made me laugh like crazy....

RADIOACTIVE MAN
04-21-2007, 09:43 PM
yea ive lived in south africa for a little before,its crazy out there

Captain_Cumstain
04-22-2007, 02:37 AM
Clamping down on rapists in South Africa

Wed, 04/11/2007 - 2:12pm.
http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/system/files?file=images/rapex.JPG
Later this month, South African women will be able to purchase the Rapex (http://www.rapestop.net/index.asp) device, marketed as the "anti-rape condom." The rapex, shaped like a female condom, is worn internally and equipped with 25 teeth in its lining. The razor-sharp teeth fasten on the attacker's penis if he attempts penetration. Since the device does no lasting damage (http://www.rapestop.net/faq/index.asp) to the attacker, it is completely legal and will sell for 1 Rand (around 14 cents) when it hits stores. The majority of women surveyed (http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/controversy-in-south-africa-over-device-to-snare-rapists/2005/09/01/1125302683893.html) about the device said they would be willing to use it.
The inventor of Rapex, South African Sonette Ehler, a former medical technician, got the idea (http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/controversy-in-south-africa-over-device-to-snare-rapists/2005/09/01/1125302683893.html) when a traumatized rape victim lamented to her, "If only I had teeth down there."
Of course, the product is not without controversy or critics (http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2053280,00.html). Some argue that the device may encourage rapists to attack their victims further, placing women in even greater danger. Ehler's response (http://www.rapestop.net/faq/index.asp) is that women are already faced with that danger, and at least this way the man is disabled momentarily, allowing the victim to get away. Others criticize the method as "vengeful," to which Ehler responds: "[It's] a medieval device for a medieval deed." More philosophically, some argue that the idea places the burden of stopping rape on the victims rather than the perpetrators. But the reality, according to Ehler, is that "[n]obody can make you safe except you." Given that South Africa has the highest per capita rate of rape of any country in the world, at a reported 119 per 100,000 people (which translates to around 1.7 million women raped each year), she may have a compelling argument.

who ever thoght of this should get the noble peace prize

'since it does no lasting damage, it is completely legal'?

so therefore one that DID do lasting damage would be illegal? so a rapist tries to rape a woman and she has a device that 'DOES do lasting damage ' fitted which shreds the guy's cock... what does the law do? send them both to court, one for attempted rape, one for wounding?
In my opinion they should be fitted with razor blades that cut they guy's cock to ribbons. That would deter a lot of rapists..
But then again, wouldn't word get around with wanna be rapists and they'd all start putting a finger up there to check first?
The people who criticised the method are some fucktard liberals who need to have their mothers raped and see how they feel about it then

Captain_Cumstain
04-22-2007, 02:40 AM
oh, and another creepy thought... how exactly did they conduct trials for this!

Dokuro
04-22-2007, 03:10 PM
'since it does no lasting damage, it is completely legal'?

so therefore one that DID do lasting damage would be illegal? so a rapist tries to rape a woman and she has a device that 'DOES do lasting damage ' fitted which shreds the guy's cock... what does the law do? send them both to court, one for attempted rape, one for wounding?
In my opinion they should be fitted with razor blades that cut they guy's cock to ribbons. That would deter a lot of rapists..
But then again, wouldn't word get around with wanna be rapists and they'd all start putting a finger up there to check first?
The people who criticised the method are some fucktard liberals who need to have their mothers raped and see how they feel about it then

ChurcHhttp://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?church01.wav=church)

GuardianOne
04-23-2007, 02:39 AM
Herald Reporter

CHINA is now the largest single investor in Zimbabwe with its investment portfolio now standing at more than US$600 million, Speaker of the House of Assembly Cde John Nkomo has said.

"It is heartening to know that China is now the largest investor in Zimbabwe and her investment now stands at over US$600 million.

"Currently more than 35 Chinese companies grace our economic landscape and there have been more exploratory visits to Zimbabwe by Chinese companies seeking investment opportunities," he said.

Cde Nkomo was speaking on Friday night at a dinner hosted for the visiting chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, Mr Jia Qinglin, at the Rainbow Towers.

Zimbabwe, Cde Nkomo said, was happy to be associated with China which had the fastest growing economy in the world and guarded jealously the mutual co-existence that cascades in all spheres of life.

"Indeed, Zimbabweans deeply cherish these mutually beneficial friendships between our sister countries and are grateful for the support received to date and the political goodwill we continue to enjoy in the context of our bilateral and multilateral links," he said.

Cde Nkomo commended China’s policy on the international arena, which he said was built on noble principles of non-interference, equality and mutual respect for each other’s sovereignty.

He expressed gratitude for the support given by China to Zimbabwe at various international fora.

"It is my sincere hope that this solidarity based on principle will continue between our sister countries. The strong political ties that exist between the Communist Party of China and Zanu-PF must be expanded and consolidated," he said.

Cde Nkomo paid tribute to Mr Jia and his delegation for donating a computer and office equipment to the Parliament of Zimbabwe, saying the equipment would go a long way in contributing to modernisation of support services at the institution.

In response, Mr Jia said China cherished the strong relations with Zimbabwe dating back to the liberation struggle.

"China will continue to work with Zimbabwe to promote bilateral relations from one generation to the other," he said through an interpreter.

Mr Jia said one of the main purposes of his visit was to discuss with the Government how to implement the resolutions of the Beijing Summit on Forum on China-Africa Co-operation held in November last year as a way of furthering relations between Zimbabwe and China.

Zimbabwe, he said, had the potential to overcome the current economic difficulties.

Mr Jia also hailed Zimbabwe for promoting peace and stability in the region, saying since independence the Southern African nation had stood firm in defence of its sovereignty.

Among those who attended the occasion were the Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet, Dr Misheck Sibanda, President of the Senate Cde Edna Madzongwe and Cabinet ministers.

Also in attendance were legislators from both Zanu-PF and MDC and senior Government officials.

Meanwhile, Mr Jia and his delegation yesterday toured the Victoria Falls.

According to our Bulawayo Bureau, Mr Jia arrived at the Victoria Falls International Airport just before midday accompanied by Cde Nkomo, Cde Madzongwe, Foreign Affairs Minister Cde Simbarashe Mumbengegwi, Deputy Minister of Water Resources and Infrastructural Development, Cde Walter Mzembi and a high-powered Chinese delegation which comprised senior government ministers and the media.

He was met at the airport by the Governor for Matabeleland North Province, Cde Sithokozile Mathuthu, Politburo member Cde Dumiso Dabengwa, the Senator for Hwange East Cde Grace Dube, the Mayor of Victoria Falls Mr Tose Sansole, Zanu-PF supporters and senior Government officials in the town.

Mr Jia was given a warm Zimbabwean welcome, spiced up by traditional dancers.

Soon after his arrival, Mr Jia and his entourage went to the majestic Victoria Falls, passing through the statue of explorer David Livingstone in the famed Rain forest before taking a view of the Main Falls.

His visit created a lot of interest in the resort town as people were glued to the road as his motorcade passed-by.

During the tour, he was briefed on the historical background of the people who lived along the Zambezi River through to modern Zimbabwe. His visit to the Victoria Falls is expected to give a boost to the country’s efforts to market its tourism destinations to more than a billion people in China.

After the tour, Mr Jia had lunch at the Elephant Hills Hotel before holding closed-door talks with Cde Nkomo and Cde Madzongwe.

Journalists accompanying Mr Jia are expected to tell the true Zimbabwean story on their return home. The delegation returned to Harare in late afternoon.

GuardianOne
04-23-2007, 02:42 AM
Bulawayo Bureau

A SOUTH AFRICAN man allegedly kidnapped 14 Zimbabweans — 12 women and two children — and demanded ransom from their relatives amounting to R1 000 a person, media reports from South Africa said.

The reports said the kidnapper has since been arrested and the victims, who were found locked in a house north of Johannesburg, were being kept by South African authorities at a safe place until investigations were complete.

A South Africa Police spokesperson, Lungelo Dlamini, told the media that the man was caught trying to collect ransom for a 17-year-old girl he kidnapped last week.

Dlamini said the kidnapper had offered the girl a ride to Beitbridge border post but instead called her mother and demanded a ransom of R300 ($810 000), which he later raised ten-fold.

On Saturday, said the police, the victim’s mother went to a service station in the Ivory Park area in Johannesburg where she said she would pay him.

She was accompanied by police who arrested the suspect.

The suspect led police to the house where the 14 hostages were packed in a single room.

"They were all hungry," Dlamini said.

Police believe other people have been kidnapped from the Zimbabwean border by the suspect, who they say demanded at least R1 000 from the victims’ relatives in South Africa for their release.

He is expected to appear in court today to face charges of kidnapping and violating immigration laws.

Many Zimbabweans who are flocking to South Africa for "greener pastures" have been ill-treated with some even killed by robbers while others are forced into commercial sex work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

the rape condoms was an enjoyable article, and the comments...

Peace

GuardianOne
04-23-2007, 02:44 AM
By Roselyne Sachiti

POLICE in Mashonaland Central recently rescued and took for psychiatric examinations, a 28-year-old Chiweshe man who has been staying indoors for the past five years.

Onward Mavhunga Kamudyariwa, of Nyakudya Village, in the Chief Negomo area, has been living in since 2002.

He alleged goblins haunted him if he went outside and locked himself in a room where he believed he was safe.

Inside his "prison" of five years is a bed, chair, an assortment of books, reed mat and lamp, Kamudyariwa spends his time reading and singing church hymns to occupy himself. He has no friends and does not do any household chores.

Police spokesperson Chief Inspector Andrew Phiri last week said they took Kamudyariwa to Bindura Hospital where a psychiatrist examined him.

Chief Inspector Phiri said psychiatrists confirmed that Kamudyariwa’s mind was in a sound state.

"He was very co-operative and police officers who went to collect him did not have any problems convincing him to go to the hospital," he said.

Chief Inspector Phiri added that doctors also treated him for wounds that had developed on his private parts.

"Some wounds had developed on his private parts as a result of a plastic he tied around them all the time," said Chief Inspector Phiri.

He added that they placed Kamudyariwa under his parents’ custody and are yet to ascertain whether he is continuing to lock himself up.

Kamudyariwa’s mother Fenia Muringai said her son’s behavior had traumatised her.

"He only leaves the room for a few seconds before sunrise to relieve himself.

"He bathes inside his room whose windows are tightly closed and sealed with plastics and refuses to come out," she said.

Mrs Muringai said she serves her son all meals through a window and sometimes leaves it on the door.

"What worries me most is that some people now call my son different names that include murungu, (white man) because his skin has become very light because of lack of sunlight.

"Others also allege that we use him for juju purposes to revive our businesses which are not doing well.

"We have five shops, but we are renting them out because of some difficulties we are facing," she said.

Mrs Muringai is appealing to anyone who can assist her son.

"I am appealing to prophets, traditional healers and psychiatrists who can help my child to please do so.

"We have lost a lot of wealth to dubious traditional healers and prophets who claimed to have healing powers but failed," she said.

Reverend Dr Murombedzi Chikangama-bhunu Kuchera, of the United Church of Christ, said there was need to change the environment in which Kamudyariwa was staying.

He said his behaviour could have been caused by evil spirits. He also attributed the behaviour to the way Kamudyariwa was raised.

"During his childhood, elders could have spoken of goblins, the difficulties they caused and this assimilated his mind," he said.

He added that with a little bit of detail, Christians could speak with him so that he accepts God as a way to recovery.

"He needs faith. He also needs help to a point where he can use his own mental capacity to believe there is God who can heal him.

However, cases of self-imposed solitary confinement have been reported in other parts of the world.

Sixty-five-year-old Arthur Jones of the United States, served a self-imposed life sentence in his own home until his death, supposedly to protect himself from high criminal activities in his town.

"Jones lived in a high crime neighbourhood and he resorted to staying indoors to protect himself.

He built iron bars on the outside doors and installed bars on all windows.

"He would get food through a slightly opened door," reported an experimental psychologist, Dr Phyllis Staff.

Jones was suffering from what is known as transitory depression and paranoia. The condition is said to be more common in elderly people.

GuardianOne
04-23-2007, 02:55 AM
By Roselyne Sachiti

A HOUSE at Glen Norah Police Camp was petrol bombed early yesterday morning by suspected MDC supporters in yet another round of unprovoked attacks on the law enforcement agents.

Although no one was injured in the incident, in which three petrol bombs and a teargas canister were thrown at house number 2962, occupants said they were terrified.

Police have since picked up one person for questioning in connection with the bombing.

The house is situated on one of the two blocks of houses belonging to the Zimbabwe Republic Police built opposite the main camp at Glen Norah Police Station.

An armed policeman was guarding the house when The Sunday Mail visited the area yesterday.

One window was shattered while a curtain and other items were burnt. Soot could be seen on the walls.

Broken pieces of alcohol bottles that included Breakers, Vodka and Mainstay, were strewn near the window while a piece of the teargas canister was picked up in a flower garden on the adjacent house.

Police spokesperson Superintendent Andrew Phiri yesterday confirmed the incident and said the house, which is shared by two policemen and their families, was bombed at around 12.45 in the morning.

He said three family members were sleeping in the room that was attacked, but they were all evacuated to safety.

The police spokesperson said: "We have picked up one person for questioning and he is assisting us with investigations.

"Such bombings show that thugs and people bent on causing mayhem in the country are at work. As police, we will not let people engage in acts of terrorism."

Superintendent Phiri said police would do all they could to make sure that people involved in the bombing were brought to book.

He said the continued bail refusal for the ringleaders arrested in connection with earlier petrol bombings has resulted in the cases of petrol bombing becoming few and far between. He said the incident becomes the 11th terror bomb in a month.

Over the past month, the nation witnessed organised and sporadic petrol bombings targeting State institutions, public transport, supermarkets, houses, police officers and security forces.

In the weeks between March 12 and 25, three police stations in Marimba, Sakubva and Gweru have been petrol bombed resulting in serious injury to two female constables and damage to property.

Unit "N" Police Camp in Chitungwiza was petrol bombed on March 12 while a house belonging to the Zanu-PF councillor for Ward 18, Seke, was also petrol bombed.

Nehanda Police Station in Gweru was petrol bombed on March 13 while Marimba Police Station was attacked on March 14.

On March 23 Sakubva Police Station in Mutare was petrol bombed while Muchada Supermarket, trading as Lucky 7, at Pfukwa Shopping Centre in Warren Park D, was also petrol bombed on March 24, leaving a trail of destruction.

Several windows were shattered while shelving material was reduced to ashes.

A Bulawayo-bound National Railways of Zimbabwe train was petrol bombed in Mufakose injuring five people while 750 others escaped unhurt on March 24. Zanu-PF Mbare district offices were petrol bombed on March 27.

Gumba’s Wholesalers in downtown Harare, belonging to Chitungwiza businessman and Zanu-PF MP for Zengeza, Cde Christopher Chigumba, was attacked early this month and goods worth millions of dollars were destroyed.

Defence Minister Cde Sydney Sekeramayi recently said security forces would not fold their arms while elements of negation eroded the gains of independence and threatened the country’s sovereignty through complicity with Western countries. He warned those indulging in terrorist acts that the police and other security arms had the constitutional mandate and capability to maintain peace and order in the country.

V4D3R
04-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Gates meets Putin on missile sites

MOSCOW, Russia (Reuters) -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates flew into Russia on Monday to try to reassure President Vladimir Putin over U.S. plans to put missile defenses in Europe, a dispute that has helped drive relations to a new low.
The United States is offering to share some benefits of the missile shield with the Russians, saying it is meant to address a possible threat from so-called rogue states such as Iran.
But Russia sees plans to site missile defense systems in Poland and the Czech Republic as a threat, in a row that has drawn comparisons with the Cold War.
Gates, who landed in Moscow on Monday morning, first met Russia's defense minister, Anatoly Serdyukov.
The Russian minister said military ties were positive overall but, in an apparent reference to the missile shield, he said "there remain a number of issues that are causing excessive tension," RIA news agency reported.
A senior administration official traveling with Gates said the defense secretary would press Putin on a deal offered to the Russians last week to share benefits of the system such as data and possibly technology.
But the Pentagon intends to move forward whatever the response, the official said.
"We're going to continue to make this effort with Russia but we're also very clear, whether Russia cooperates with us or not is really up to Russia," the official said on Sunday.
Washington wants to place 10 interceptor missiles in Poland and radar in the Czech Republic, at a cost of $3.5 billion.
U.S. officials cast the issue in technical, not political, terms and argue the science is simple. The systems Washington wants to put in Poland and the Czech Republic cannot be used to defeat a Russian missile, they say.
Russian concerns

But Russians voice both technical and strategic problems with U.S. plans.
Some Russian officials have argued the sites are so close to Russia's borders that they could harm its security. Some also say the United States could eventually equip the sites with offensive weapons aimed at Russia.
Russian officials say they support exploring a collective missile system that would protect against rogue states, but are annoyed that Washington has gone ahead unilaterally.
Missile defense is only one sign of deteriorating relations between Washington and Moscow.
While the United States has made accusations that Russia is rolling back democracy and trying to revive past imperialism, Moscow charges Washington with acting unilaterally and meddling in its domestic affairs.
Russia and the United States have different approaches to Iran's nuclear program, which the West suspects is to develop atomic weapons and Tehran says is to generate power. A Russian contractor is building Iran's Bushehr nuclear power plant.
Washington also criticizes Russia for selling anti-aircraft missile systems to Iran, saying it undermines regional security.
The U.S. defense secretary will travel to Poland and Germany to discuss missile defense after his talks in Moscow.

V4D3R
04-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Missing child found in shot croc

BEIJING, China (AP) -- A crocodile shot to death in south China during a search for a missing 9-year-old student was found to contain the child's remains, the official Xinhua News Agency said.
The crocodile was shot Saturday in a park in Beihai, a city in the Guangxi region, by investigators looking for the missing child. Investigators confirmed that human remains found in the reptile were that of the student, the report said.
The child, surnamed Liu, disappeared Friday after Liu and three other children climbed over the fence around a pool in the park that had been used to stage crocodile shows, Xinhua said.
"The children shot the animals with catapults and beat them with wooden sticks," the agency said. "One of the irritated crocodiles bit Liu's clothes and dragged him into water, where he was eaten by a swarm of crocodiles."
Snipers used pork to lure the reptiles from the pool on Saturday and shot the first one that crawled ashore, the report said.
No other details were given, and it wasn't immediately clear what would happen to the other crocodiles.
Local residents said the park's owner had hired a keeper for the crocodiles, but it was not clear why the man was not at the site when the students broke in, the report said.
The manager and the keeper were being held by police.

netscape check two
04-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Yet another unintelligent hunter...

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Hunters in Russia's Far East have shot and killed one of the last seven surviving female Amur leopards living in the wild, WWF said on Monday, driving the species even closer to extinction.

Last week environmentalists said there were only between 25 and 34 Amur leopards -- described as one of the most graceful cats in the world -- still living in the wild.

At least 100 are needed to guarantee the species' survival which depends upon female leopards breeding. There are more male leopards in the wild than female because cats tend to breed males when under stress, WWF said.

"Leopard murder can only be provoked by cowardice or stupidity, in this case most likely by both," Pavel Fomenko, WWF's biodiversity coordinator in Russia's Far East said in a statement.

A hunter shot the leopard through the tail bone. It tumbled over and was then beaten over the head with a heavy object, WWF said. Amur leopards have not been know to attack humans.

Environmentalists have urged the Russian government to introduce tighter controls on its national parks in the Far East to crack down on leopard hunting.

They also want more done to protect the animal's natural environment and food supply, which they say is being destroyed by human development.

A local wildlife watchdog received an anonymous tip-off that a leopard had been killed. State wildlife officers found the dead animal after a day of searching. The leopard died on either April 15 or April 16, WWF said.

http://news.yahoo.com

EAGLE EYE
04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
That sucks.

I watched a tv special on poachers last night. Poachers are scum bags and should be shot on the spot.

Sexy Jasper
04-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Sons of vbitches

if i wasn a tiger i woudl kill those fucking commie bastards wih my claws and shit like graaaaor swoosh chook chook

fuck being a tiger must be awsomee

Sicka than aidZ
04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
when are they gonna smoke check two, wont make a difference, wucorp nerdz arent on the endangered speciez list but it would still make a better thread then what he'z floodin the shit with now

netscape check two
04-23-2007, 05:55 PM
when are they gonna smoke check two, wont make a difference, wucorp nerdz arent on the endangered speciez list but it would still make a better thread then what he'z floodin the shit with now

Thanks for the pointless post. Let me know when you have something important to actually say for once.

GENERAL WISE
04-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Probably a Siberian eskimo who has no clue whats going on killed that leopard to protect his herd, while we slowly introduce pollution into the atmosphere, decimate rain forests, and out right don't give a fuck.

If your are calling that hunter dude an idiot, your right, he probably has lived besides ice all his life. What do you have to say about yourself????

netscape check two
04-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Merging all these threads together?

RADIOACTIVE MAN
04-24-2007, 10:38 PM
source- http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070425/ap_on_sc/habitable_planet

WASHINGTON - For the first time astronomers have discovered a planet outside our solar system that is potentially habitable, with Earth-like temperatures, a find researchers described Tuesday as a big step in the search for "life in the universe."

The planet is just the right size, might have water in liquid form, and in galactic terms is relatively nearby at 120 trillion miles away. But the star it closely orbits, known as a "red dwarf," is much smaller, dimmer and cooler than our sun.
There's still a lot that is unknown about the new planet, which could be deemed inhospitable to life once more is known about it. And it's worth noting that scientists' requirements for habitability count Mars in that category: a size relatively similar to Earth's with temperatures that would permit liquid water. However, this is the first outside our solar system that meets those standards.
"It's a significant step on the way to finding possible life in the universe," said University of Geneva astronomer Michel Mayor, one of 11 European scientists on the team that found the planet. "It's a nice discovery. We still have a lot of questions."
The results of the discovery have not been published but have been submitted to the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.
Alan Boss, who works at the Carnegie Institution of Washington where a U.S. team of astronomers competed in the hunt for an Earth-like planet, called it "a major milestone in this business."
The planet was discovered by the European Southern Observatory's telescope in La Silla, Chile, which has a special instrument that splits light to find wobbles in different wave lengths. Those wobbles can reveal the existence of other worlds.
What they revealed is a planet circling the red dwarf star, Gliese 581. Red dwarfs are low-energy, tiny stars that give off dim red light and last longer than stars like our sun. Until a few years ago, astronomers didn't consider these stars as possible hosts of planets that might sustain life.
The discovery of the new planet, named 581 c, is sure to fuel studies of planets circling similar dim stars. About 80 percent of the stars near Earth are red dwarfs.
The new planet is about five times heavier than Earth. Its discoverers aren't certain if it is rocky like Earth or if its a frozen ice ball with liquid water on the surface. If it is rocky like Earth, which is what the prevailing theory proposes, it has a diameter about 1 1/2 times bigger than our planet. If it is an iceball, as Mayor suggests, it would be even bigger.
Based on theory, 581 c should have an atmosphere, but what's in that atmosphere is still a mystery and if it's too thick that could make the planet's surface temperature too hot, Mayor said.
However, the research team believes the average temperature to be somewhere between 32 and 104 degrees and that set off celebrations among astronomers.
Until now, all 220 planets astronomers have found outside our solar system have had the "Goldilocks problem." They've been too hot, too cold or just plain too big and gaseous, like uninhabitable Jupiter.
The new planet seems just right — or at least that's what scientists think.
"This could be very important," said NASA (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=NASA) astrobiology expert Chris McKay, who was not part of the discovery team. "It doesn't mean there is life, but it means it's an Earth-like planet in terms of potential habitability."
Eventually astronomers will rack up discoveries of dozens, maybe even hundreds of planets considered habitable, the astronomers said. But this one — simply called "c" by its discoverers when they talk among themselves — will go down in cosmic history as No. 1.
Besides having the right temperature, the new planet is probably full of liquid water, hypothesizes Stephane Udry, the discovery team's lead author and another Geneva astronomer. But that is based on theory about how planets form, not on any evidence, he said.
"Liquid water is critical to life as we know it," co-author Xavier Delfosse of Grenoble University in France, said in a statement. "Because of its temperature and relative proximity, this planet will most probably be a very important target of the future space missions dedicated to the search for extraterrestrial life. On the treasure map of the Universe, one would be tempted to mark this planet with an X."
Other astronomers cautioned it's too early to tell whether there is water.
"You need more work to say it's got water or it doesn't have water," said retired NASA astronomer Steve Maran, press officer for the American Astronomical Society. "You wouldn't send a crew there assuming that when you get there, they'll have enough water to get back."
The new planet's star system is a mere 20.5 light years away, making Gliese 581 one of the 100 closest stars to Earth. It's so dim, you can't see it without a telescope, but it's somewhere in the constellation Libra, which is low in the southeastern sky during the midevening in the Northern Hemisphere.
"I expect there will be planets like Earth, but whether they have life is another question," said renowned astrophysicist Stephen Hawking in an interview with The Associated Press in Orlando. "We haven't been visited by little green men yet."
Before you book your extrastellar flight to 581 c, a few caveats about how alien that world probably is: Anyone sitting on the planet would get heavier quickly, and birthdays would add up fast since it orbits its star every 13 days.
Gravity is 1.6 times as strong as Earth's so a 150-pound person would feel like 240 pounds.
But oh, the view. The planet is 14 times closer to the star it orbits. Udry figures the red dwarf star would hang in the sky at a size 20 times larger than our moon. And it's likely, but still not known, that the planet doesn't rotate, so one side would always be sunlit and the other dark.
Distance is another problem. "We don't know how to get to those places in a human lifetime," Maran said.
Two teams of astronomers, one in Europe and one in the United States, have been racing to be the first to find a planet like 581 c outside the solar system.
The European team looked at 100 different stars using a tool called HARPS (High Accuracy Radial Velocity for Planetary Searcher) to find this one planet, said Xavier Bonfils of the Lisbon Observatory, one of the co-discoverers.
Much of the effort to find Earth-like planets has focused on stars like our sun with the challenge being to find a planet the right distance from the star it orbits. About 90 percent of the time, the European telescope focused its search more on sun-like stars, Udry said.
A few weeks before the European discovery earlier this month, a scientific paper in the journal Astrobiology theorized a few days that red dwarf stars were good candidates.
"Now we have the possibility to find many more," Bonfils said.

Oztradamus
04-24-2007, 11:18 PM
It would take the Starship Enterprise-D 36 days to get there traveling at 9.999 Warp Speed..

EAGLE EYE
04-24-2007, 11:21 PM
....And we just found out solution to the illegal immigration epidemic.

Oztradamus
04-24-2007, 11:25 PM
^ LOL, No, wherever there's jobs my people will go..

EAGLE EYE
04-24-2007, 11:38 PM
fuck it Im gonna pay that place a visit if JetBlue has a $99 special or some shit. Spread my seed all in the water reservoir........

And I know ya'll aint ever seen a retarded robby digital bat fish but you will, and you will love it

Lil' Ruger
04-25-2007, 12:23 AM
i wonder if theres already living things on the planet.....fuckable things....be weird if they were normal human beins like us.....but maybe they could be blue hmmmmm

Hellspawn
04-25-2007, 04:33 AM
....And we just found out solution to the illegal immigration epidemic.

And to the Middle East |)

Marvin
04-25-2007, 04:35 AM
Interesting.

netscape check two
04-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Yeah, maybe there are 'normal' human beings on that planet, unlike us.

Merging all these threads?

The Hound
04-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Man cuts off own penis in restaurant

Tuesday April 24, 2007
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/img/world/2404_zizzi_sp.jpg

By ninemsn staff and wires
A man has undergone groundbreaking microsurgery after cutting off his penis in a crowded London restaurant.
The 35-year-old Polish national burst into the 200-seat Zizzi eaterie on The Strand and grabbed a large knife from the kitchen before jumping onto a table and dropping his trousers.
As panicking diners fled, the man sliced his penis off.
http://ninemsn.com.au/9msnshared/images/space.gif"This guy came running in then charged into the kitchen, got a massive knife and started waving it about," sales rep Stuart McMahon told The Sun newspaper.
"Everyone was screaming and running out as he jumped on a table, dropped his trousers and popped his penis out. Then he cut it off. I couldn't believe it.
"The staff were really upset and there was blood everywhere."
The man was subdued by police wielding tear gas, who packed the severed organ in ice then took it and the man to St Thomas's Hospital in south London.
A spokeswoman for the Royal College of Surgeons confirmed this was the first attempt in British history to reattach a severed penis, but there is no indication at this stage that it was a success.
Zizzi was set to re-open for business last night

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=262860&_cobr=optus

ahaha ... polish

abasi
04-26-2007, 12:57 PM
All AP Movie News (http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/)
http://us.ent3.yimg.com/entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/images/ent/ap/20070426/thumb_xdel103_india_people_gere.sff.jpg
AP Photo (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=apm&id=1807763769&cf=pg&photoid=970433489)More Photos... (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=apm&id=1807763769&cf=mm&index-0)India May Arrest Richard Gere Over Kiss
Thursday April 26 8:18 AM ET

A court issued arrest warrants for Hollywood actor Richard Gere (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800017075) and Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty on Thursday, saying their kiss at a public function "transgressed all limits of vulgarity," media reports said.
Judge Dinesh Gupta issued the warrants in the northwestern city of Jaipur after a local citizen filed a complaint charging that the public display of affection offended local sensibilities, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.
Gupta earlier viewed television footage of the event, which he called "highly sexually erotic," saying the pair violated India's strict public obscenity laws.

ADVERTISEMENT
if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['VmPoAthtfGE-']='&U=13bdl4vh1%2fN%3dVmPoAthtfGE-%2fC%3d570219.10468146.11097370.1429205%2fD%3dLREC %2fB%3d4307569';http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=VNrAYthtflqzP_q5RjCXcQzrhq5uBUYw1c0AC5x4&T=13v8l414j%2fX%3d1177605581%2fE%3d29288744%2fR%3d movies%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dH%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3 d832188308%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dCE7E6DD8&U=13bdl4vh1%2fN%3dVmPoAthtfGE-%2fC%3d570219.10468146.11097370.1429205%2fD%3dLREC %2fB%3d4307569Gere and Shetty "transgressed all limits of vulgarity and have the tendency to corrupt the society," PTI quoted the judge as saying.
Such cases against celebrities often filed by publicity seekers are common in conservative India. They add to a backlog of legal cases that has nearly crippled the country's judicial system.
Gere left India shortly after the kissing incident and it was not immediately clear how the warrant would affect him.
Gere is a frequent visitor to India, promoting health issues and the cause of Tibetan exiles. The Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800022558), has his headquarters in the north Indian town of Dharmsala.
Under Indian law a person convicted of public obscenity faces up to three months in prison, a fine, or both.
Last week, crowds in several Indian cities burned effigies of the 57-year-old star of "An Officer and a Gentleman (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800102405)" "American Gigolo (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800340802)" and "Pretty Woman (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800139980)" after he embraced Shetty and kissed her several times on her cheeks during an HIV/AIDS awareness event in the Indian capital.
Photographs of the clinch were then splashed across front pages in India where public displays of affection are largely taboo.
The judge lambasted Shetty for not resisting Gere's kisses and ordered her to appear in his court May 5, PTI said. A spokesman for Shetty declined comment.
The event's organizer, Parmeshwar Godrej, called the controversy a distraction from more important issues.
"It has detracted from and undermined the value and success of the event, which was concerned with creating AIDS awareness and promoting AIDS prevention among truck drivers," CNN-IBN quoted her as saying.
Shetty, 31, has said the embrace was not obscene and that the media should instead focus on HIV/AIDS awareness.
"I understand this is his culture, not ours. But this was not such a big thing or so obscene for people to overreact in such manner," she told PTI last week.
"I understand people's sentiments, but I don't want a foreigner to take bad memories from here," PTI quoted her as saying.
Shetty, already well-known in India, became an international star after her appearance on the British reality show "Celebrity Big Brother" another controversial public appearance. A fellow contestant, Jade Goody, sparked international headlines by making allegedly racist comments to Shetty. Mobs took to the streets of India to denounce Goody, and Shetty went on to win the competition.

this is blown way out of proportion

maestro wooz
04-26-2007, 01:27 PM
haha

444trumpets
04-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Gere's An Idiot!!!

chiba
04-26-2007, 11:01 PM
yo, this shiet is crazy
that kid that threw the punch must know some secrect deadly fist of fury technique

on the realz rip to the kid who got killed (over a hat)

the kid that threw the punch is charged with manslaughter!!
thats facked up!! he might get bail tho??? weird

***BTW this happened in Canada or those who dont know where quebec is***

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070426/manslaughter_charge_070426/20070426?hub=TopStories

peace

brown_dogg
04-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I got a question about shit like this..

Say someone has a paper thin skull, and you get into an argument with him and it escalates into a fight. You throw one punch and it kills him.
Is it a murder charge?

chiba
04-26-2007, 11:06 PM
dunno ...........good question....depends on your age i guess

The Ghost
04-26-2007, 11:07 PM

Say someone has a paper thin skull, and you get into an argument with him and it escalates into a fight. You throw one punch and it kills him.
Is it a murder charge?
Shouldn't be because you didn't intend to kill him just hurt him

The Hound
04-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Is it a murder charge?

manslaughter ...

Dokuro
04-26-2007, 11:22 PM
quik palm thrust to the nose

or if it is the chest the ninja kill works evry time

chiba
04-26-2007, 11:32 PM
yo brown dogg did u hear about the gang of kids who set fire to this other kids house ..... i think it was in toronto

hectic shiet

CEITEDMOFO
04-27-2007, 12:29 AM
nigga rocked him in the temple

LORD ZERO
04-27-2007, 01:10 AM
This Didnt Just Happen In Canada, It Happened In The States Too Some Years Ago....some High School Teens I Believe, They Got The Same Charge Too

But Yeah, Dats Pretty Fucked Up
R.i.p. To Da Kid

BRONZBODY
04-27-2007, 01:34 AM

Is it a murder charge?if u black.....yes.....

pep
04-27-2007, 01:47 AM
was it tiger claw or iron palm??

CEITEDMOFO
04-27-2007, 02:10 AM
I Was Training This Kid And I Told Him Not 2 Use His Powers For Bad, He Quit Listening 2 Me Cause He Joined The Cobra Kai

V4D3R
05-06-2007, 05:22 PM
I know my newspapers in Canada and this chain does'y not give out National Inquirer type bullshit. This story though is just to leave you questioning.

X or Bigben why isent his thread stickied?

Possible sasquatch sighting

B.C. man sees 'the beast'

CRANBROOK, B.C. — A Cranbrook resident says he was just beginning his early-morning shift as a sand truck/snowplow driver for a highways maintenance contractor when he saw what he now calls “the beast.” Gord Johnson says he was barely out of the Cranbrook city limits, heading west, when his headlights illuminated what he thought was a human figure some 150 metres away.
“It was standing in the ditch on the right side of the road, sort of bent over. It was dark and cold and too early in the morning for anybody to be out picking bottles or something, so I thought whoever it was might be hurt or sick, so I slowed down.”
As Johnson drew nearer, the figure in the ditch straightened, then turned and began to move towards his truck while remaining in the ditch.
As the distance closed the snowplough driver was now better able to see that this individual was oddly shaped; very large with arms that reached nearly to its knees, a conical head and what he had initially thought to be a light golden brown parka was instead hair.
The two-metre-plus figure walking towards him was covered in it, he says.
Johnson’s truck slowly passed the creature, allowing him to see it clearly through the passenger side window.
“It gives me goose-bumps right now just thinking about it. I must have been in shock because I drove on another couple hundred yards before I realized I had to turn the truck around and get another look at this beast, but by then it had disappeared.”
Johnson finished his shift and decided that because he had no proof, it would be in his best interests not to share the details of the encounter, lest he be ridiculed. The one person he did tell was his longtime partner Victoria Carter.
“Gord was very shaken by the incident. Just because of the way it affected him I knew he’d seen something — I knew he was telling the truth,” Carter said.
Nearly three months later, on Jan. 25, Johnson was again maintaining a road in the early morning when his truck ran out of sand. Finding a wide spot in the road he began turning his truck around so he could head back for another load to finish the job.
While backing up, he noticed a set of strange tracks in the newly fallen snow and decided to get out and investigate.
“As soon as I saw them I could tell they were made by something walking on only two legs — kind of offset. Right away my gut told me something wasn’t right. I took a couple shots with the disposable camera that I started carrying since the October incident.”
Johnson finished his shift, then wanting to show Carter what he considered possible proof of his previous encounter with a strange biped, returned to the spot with a better camera.
The pair then re-photographed the tracks, measured the distance between them (about 1.8 metres), and then followed them a short distance until they disappeared into dense brush.
With the light failing and the possibility that whatever had made the tracks might still be in the vicinity, the pair decided not to follow the mystery beast’s trail any further.

V4D3R
05-06-2007, 05:43 PM
NASA Probe Reveals New Views of Jupiter

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/070501_newhorizons_update.html

L~>1<~NKS
05-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Rgyq2H7PpO0

Pause as much as possible when the text shows up - READ!

100pr00f
05-16-2007, 08:07 AM
A CLEANER at a primary school who drilled holes in the ceiling of a toilet and took pictures of girls and female teachers, leaving some children traumatised, was jailed for just four months today.

Adrian Alan Mayne, 31, of Hobart, used the school's own camera to take 36 pictures of the breast and groin areas of girls and female members of staff at the Tasmanian school.

He also drilled a large hole in the kindergarten floor to take pictures "upwards from the legs of female teachers".

Mayne superimposed the snaps on to photographs of adults engaging in sexual activity to make a collection of 90 images, the Supreme Court of Tasmania was told.

Justice Peter Evans said today that the toilets were also used by a playgroup and after school sports groups.

Mayne had also downloaded images from the internet of children naked or in sexual poses, Justice Evans said.

The court was told that some of the children at the school now had nightmares and others were losing trust in adults, with one of them soiling himself because he was too scared to use the toilets.

Mayne was employed by the school as a cleaner, but his duties included gardening maintenance and repairs.

He also was involved in running the school's vegetable plot and coaching the local football team.

"The discovery of his conduct has caused anxiety and disgust," Justice Evans said.

"It is not difficult to envisage what effect this will have on his wife and children. He is totally remorseful and ashamed by what he has done."

But Justice Evans said a prison sentence was necessary to reflect the seriousness of the crime.

He jailed Mayne for four months and ordered he be placed on a sexual offenders' register for 10 years on his release.

Mayne earlier pleaded guilty to three counts of indecency, one count of producing child exploitation material, and one count of possessing child exploitation material.

Tasmania's Department of Education said today it inspected all government school toilets and amenities before the school started this year.

"Schools have taken immediate action to rectify potential situations that could provide opportunities for inappropriate behaviour," Department of Education deputy secretary Greg Glass said.

"A full investigation was carried out by the department in relation to the events and support was offered to staff, students and their families," Mr Glass said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21712259-2,00.html (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21712259-2,00.html)

The Hound
05-16-2007, 08:22 AM
tasmanians, what do you expect, fucking 6 fingered imbreds ...

Sexy Jasper
05-16-2007, 08:27 AM
"The court was told that some of the children at the school now had nightmares and others were losing trust in adults, with one of them soiling himself because he was too scared to use the toilets."

Hahahahahahahahaahahaaaaa!!

100pr00f
05-16-2007, 09:04 AM
how did i know jasper would post in this thread haha

Sexy Jasper
05-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Because I'm a child friend?

100pr00f
05-16-2007, 09:15 AM
is that a question

Sexy Jasper
05-16-2007, 09:20 AM
No I was just giving you an excellent opportunity to change "friend" to fiend. Better luck next time.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/zpower240/jailbait.jpg

lord patch
05-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Two Israelis Held Over Racist Murder Of Arab

Two Israeli brothers have been detained in connection with the stabbing to death of a Palestinian taxi driver in an apparent hate crime, police said.

Julian Soufir, 25, has been ordered to be held for 10 days and his brother, Jonathan, 21, for three days.

One of the suspects had confessed the attack was anti-Arab and nationalist in nature, a police spokesman said.

Taysir Karaki's body was found at Julian's flat after the brothers were observed acting suspiciously on Monday.

The 35-year-old father of five was buried on Tuesday in Beit Hanina, in East Jerusalem.

Police investigators said they believed Julian Soufir went to Jerusalem to hunt for an Arab taxi driver.

He is believed to have hired Karaki to drive him back to Tel Aviv, then he lured him into the apartment and killed him.

Jonathan Soufir is not a suspect in the murder, but is suspected of complicity.

Recent arrivals

Julian Soufir's lawyer asked the court to refer him to psychiatric observation.

During the hearing the defendant smiled, clapped and rolled his eyes and stuck his tongue out at photographers.

The brothers are recent immigrants to Israel from France, under the country's law of return which allows Jewish applicants Israeli citizenship.

The Jerusalem mayor's office said the Karaki family should be considered "victims of terrorism" and would receive financial assistance from the state.

Israeli Arab MP Said Naffaa blamed the killing on growing hostility towards Arabs in Israel today.

"Demonisation and incitement against the Arab public give this kind of act its legitimisation. Turning words into actions was just a matter of time," he told Y-Net news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6660909.stm

Captain_Cumstain
05-20-2007, 03:01 PM
because arabs never racially murder israelis

The Hound
05-20-2007, 03:06 PM
arabs are so hypocritical isnt not funny, any excuse will do

iniquity
05-20-2007, 03:37 PM
..If a suicide bomber strikes it's terrorism but if some Israeli troops raid a village in the middle of the night for no reason and kill a few Palestinians they're not .. Holy Fucks! ..

iniquity
05-20-2007, 03:56 PM

.. So that makes it right? ..

.. Smh ..

iniquity
05-20-2007, 03:58 PM

.. Yep, because if another group of ppl were trying to steal your land you & yours would willfully give it up uh? ..

.. Wake the fuck up ..

SID
05-20-2007, 04:13 PM

.. Yep, because if another group of ppl were trying to steal your land you & yours would willfully give it up uh? ..

.. Wake the fuck up ..

these stupid muthafuckas will never wake up cuz there brainwashed to the point of slavery, arabs are hypocritical noooo you arrogant fag we are defending our fuckin land from ruthless invaders, with stones, so if we can get a bomb where obviously gonna use it, what would you do if australia was being occupied?.....think before you speak you sheeps

L~>1<~NKS
05-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Berkeley Nutraceuticals to pay $2.5m, orders court
http://img.novisgroup.com/img/imgNIUSA/blank.gif
By Clarisse Douaud
http://img.novisgroup.com/img/imgNIUSA/blank.gif

3/3/2006 - Berkeley Premium Nutraceuticals has agreed to pay Ohio and 15 other states $2.5 m, to refund customers who filed complaints and to stop making health claims they can't back with scientific proof.

The Cincinatti-based company, which sells herbal dietary supplements including Enzyte, Avlimil and Rogisen, has denied wrongdoing.Berkeley reported in a press release Wednesday that by the time the settlement had been reached it had "already begun to implement a series of measures to enhance the Company's business practices, better inform consumers about its products and provide restitution to consumers with outstanding complaints."
Thousands of customers, as well as merchant banks, were allegedly defrauded of $100m by Berkeley.
Enzyte is perhaps Berkeley's best know product owing to its national "Smilin' Bob" ad campaign which featured a man whose life improves after he uses the product which Berkeley's website claims supports "firmer, fuller-feeling, better quality erections".
"Smiling Bob may have been happy, but many customers were not," said California Attorney General Bill Lockyer in a statement.
Although Steve Warshak, the owner of Berkeley and its four subsidiaries, reached the settlement with the attorneys general, he and company executives are still disputing other charges in court. Berkeley's subsidiary companies are: Boland Naturals, Lifekey, Wagner Nutraceuticals and Warner Health Care.
Based on thousands of customer complaints, the Federal Trade Commission charged that consumers provided credit or debit card information to pay a shipping and handling fee for the "free" samples, and that Berkeley later used that information to bill consumers for shipments which they sent automatically, without their consent, or without disclosing the terms and conditions of the plan.
Berkeley is also alleged to have made it difficult for customers to cancel shipments as they faced a wall of busy phone lines and web sites that did not work.
"Companies like Berkeley that choose to market their products with 'free' offers and grand claims of effectiveness must do so in compliance with the law," said Ohio Attorney General Jim Petro, who directed the multi-state investigation and settlement.
"Consumers have the right to know all the terms of a so-called 'free' offer and that the product works as advertised."
The company must still defend itself against an FTC (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:KeywordSearch%28%27KEYWORDS=FTC&period=all&inner=1%27%29;) class-action lawsuit over false advertising regarding Avlimil and Rogisen. The federal body charges that Berkeley was deceptive in marketing these products as treatment for female dysfunction and night vision problems.
Although Warshak has not been charged, $24 m of his fortune remains frozen by a federal judge after federal agents raided his offices in March of 2005. Another five of the former Berkeley executives have pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud, but are cooperating with the continuing investigation of Berkeley.
Each of the defendants could face up to 20 years in prison.

Link: http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/ng.asp?n=66206-berkeley-premium-ftc-health-claims

Golden_Armz
05-20-2007, 08:50 PM
F-ck Isra-hell!!!!!!

100pr00f
05-21-2007, 08:03 AM
TULSA, Oklahoma (AP) -- A day care worker was being held Saturday in the death of a 2-year-old boy whose hands were bound and his mouth covered with masking tape, police said.

The boy, who had been on life support, died late Thursday, Officer Jason Willingham said.

Vicki Leigh Chiles was being held without bail on a complaint of first-degree murder. She was the only worker at the facility at the time, looking after eight children ages 7 and younger, Willingham said.

Chiles told police the boy would not be quiet for nap time, so she used tape to silence him, an arrest report states.

Chiles told investigators she left the boy unattended for a few minutes and came back to find him lying on the floor unresponsive, the report states. She said she called for an ambulance and tried to perform CPR.

The state agency that oversees child day care operators was investigating Chiles' business, said Mary Leaver, an agency spokeswoman.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/19/day....ap/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/19/daycare.death.ap/index.html)

Johnny 6-feet
05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
How in the name of God's green earth do these people get employment working with children?

Seriously man, what the fuck.

SickSide
05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
sickening, reminds me a bit of the dying rooms documentry where the kids are bound to chairs

The Hound
05-21-2007, 08:12 AM
thats messed up ... bitch, she should be jailed for 50 years ...

Robert
05-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Disturbing to say the least......

shaolinsword
05-21-2007, 08:23 AM
How the fuck could you even do that to a child? Some sick fuckin people in this world

Frontal Lobotomy
05-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Hm, in a day care place as well? Thats bad..

UNCLE RUCKUS
05-21-2007, 09:19 AM
sick fucking world

Captain_Cumstain
05-21-2007, 09:53 AM
israelis put the land of israel to far better use that the arabs would

Captain_Cumstain
05-21-2007, 09:55 AM
..If a suicide bomber strikes it's terrorism

erm yes.

SID
05-21-2007, 10:40 AM
^^^he was looking through this whole thread to find some snotty comment to make

SID
05-21-2007, 10:45 AM
israelis put the land of israel to far better use that the arabs would

ok......thats your view, but does it give them the right to occupy it in such barbaric circumstances, they cant peacefully live side by side with the muslims like they have for hundreds of years, so they just decide to take it....thats just not right!!!!, and are they really putting it to good use, by sticking a "jewish homeland" in the heart of the muslim world!, and controlling world affairs with their satanic zionism, i feel sorry for the "real" jews who have been protesting against israel, but have been silenced

100pr00f
06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
It was once a gently flowing river, where fishermen cast their nets, sea birds came to feed and natural beauty left visitors spellbound.

Villagers collected water for their simple homes and rice paddies thrived on its irrigation channels.

Today, the Citarum is a river in crisis, choked by the domestic waste of nine million people and thick with the cast-off from hundreds of factories.

So dense is the carpet of refuse that the tiny wooden fishing craft which float through it are the only clue to the presence of water.

Their occupants no longer try to fish. It is more profitable to forage for rubbish they can salvage and trade - plastic bottles, broken chair legs, rubber gloves - risking disease for one or two pounds a week if they are lucky.

On what was United Nations World Environment Day, the Citarum, near the Indonesian capital of Jakarta, displayed the shocking abuse that mankind has subjected it to.

pics in the link
http://www.thedayiwentmad.com/2007/06/06/the-worlds-most-polluted-river.html

Sean
06-07-2007, 02:59 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/nankake/plasticrubbish3R_468x319.jpg

8O

HANZO
06-08-2007, 04:03 PM
ISTANBUL, Turkey - Turkish forces shelled Kurdish rebel positions across the border in north Iraq (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Iraq), Iraqi Kurd officials reported Friday, heightening fears that the fighting could flare into a larger conflict and draw in the U.S.
Turkey has been building up its forces along the border with Iraq, and its leaders are debating whether to stage a major incursion to pursue separatist rebels who cross over from bases in Iraq to attack Turkish targets. Such an operation could ignite a wider conflict involving Iraqi Kurds, and disrupt Turkey's ties with its NATO (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=NATO) ally, the United States.
Iran (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Iran) has also clashed with Iranian Kurd fighters who have bases in remote, mountainous areas of northern Iraq, and Iranian forces reportedly participated in the overnight shelling.
The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, or PUK, the party of Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, reported the Turkish and Iranian shelling on its Web site. Turkish military authorities at the General Staff in Ankara were not immediately available for comment.
Iranian officials in Tehran could not immediately be reached for comment late Friday. Iranian media contained no reports on any shelling, and usually wait several days to report such incidents.
The PUK said artillery shells overnight hit some areas in the Sidikan area in Irbil province, where the borders of Turkey, Iran and Iraq converge, and that nine villages were affected. It was unclear whether there was any degree of coordination among Turkish and Iranian gunners.
"Huge damage was inflicted on the area," the PUK said, citing what it described as an unidentified "source" in the area. "The source said that residents have left their houses, fearing for their lives."
Lt. Ahmed Karim of the Iraqi border guards force told The Associated Press that seven Turkish shells landed on a forest near Sakta village in the Batous area, but no casualties were reported.
A senior official in the Kurdistan Democratic Party, the party of the region's leader Massoud Barzani, confirmed there had been Turkish shelling of Iraqi territory, but declined to give details.
"The situation is unclear and we do not have details about the shelling," said the official, Sarbest Yazkin.
Turkey's military on Friday declared its "unshakable determination" to defeat Kurdish rebels, and a fourth soldier died of injuries from a roadside bomb in a new Turkish security zone north of the Iraq border. The bombing Thursday was blamed on Kurdish separatists.
On Wednesday, Turkish security officials and an Iraqi Kurdish official said Turkish soldiers had crossed into Iraq in pursuit of rebels based there. Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul denied such a raid took place.
Turkish forces occasionally have pursued Kurdish rebels just across the border, but rarely announce the operations.
Turkey has restricted access to large swaths of border territory where its force buildup is occurring. A major incursion would have greater political ramifications than pursuits, and Turkish leaders say it would require parliamentary approval.
The Turkish officials who spoke to The Associated Press about Wednesday's raid did so on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media. One of them said the 600 commandos who took part returned to Turkey by the end of the day.
An Iraqi Kurd official who spoke on condition of anonymity said Turkish soldiers had crossed the border on Wednesday chasing guerrillas hours after the military said rebels had fired from across the frontier near the Turkish border town of Cukurca.
Some Iraqi government officials also denied the report of the raid, and U.S. officials said they could not confirm it.

Turkish leaders say the guerrillas cross into Turkey to stage attacks in their recently escalated fight to win autonomy for southeastern Turkey, where ethnic Kurds make up much of the population.
U.S. officials have argued against a major Turkish incursion into northern Iraq, one of the few spots of relative stability in the country. Some think Turkey may hope its military buildup will push the United States and Iraqi Kurds to crack down on the separatists and head off a Turkish offensive.
The military has announced new "temporary security zones" along the Iraq border. It said the zones would be in place until Sept. 9, but gave no other information. Turkish media said the areas would be closed to civilian plane flights, and that additional security measures would be implemented in the zones and entry would be restricted.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070608/ap_on_re_mi_ea/turkey_iraq

how fuked up cause i just been called for military service for Turkey.

V4D3R
06-11-2007, 04:16 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6729745.stm
Bear robot rescues wounded troops

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/43019000/jpg/_43019385_robobear.jpg The Bear is highly manoeuvrable

The US military is developing a robot with a teddy bear-style head to help carry injured soldiers away from the battlefield. The Battlefield Extraction Assist Robot (BEAR) can scoop up even the heaviest of casualties and transport them over long distances over rough terrain.
New Scientist magazine reports that the "friendly appearance" of the robot is designed to put the wounded at ease.
It is expected to be ready for testing within five years.
While it is important to get medical attention for injured soldiers as soon as possible, it is often difficult and dangerous for their comrades to reach them and carry them back.
The 6ft tall Bear can cross bumpy ground without toppling thanks to a combination of gyroscopes and computer controlled motors to maintain balance.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif BEAR FACTS
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/43020000/jpg/_43020651_robot_image203x295.jpg
1. Teddy bear face designed to be reassuring
2. Hydraulic upper body carries up to 227kgs (500lbs)
3. When kneeling tracked "legs" travel over rubble. Switches to wheels on smooth surfaces
4. Dynamic Balance Behaviour (DBB) technology allows the robot to stand and carry loads upright on its ankles, knees or hips for nearly an hour

It is also narrow enough to squeeze through doorways, but can lift 135kg with its hydraulic arms in a single smooth movement, to avoid causing pain to wounded soldiers.
While the existing prototype slides its arms under its burden like a forklift, future versions will be fitted with manoeuvrable hands to gently scoop up casualties.
The Bear is controlled remotely and has cameras and microphones through which an operator sees and hears.
It can even tackle stairs while carrying a human-sized dummy.
Daniel Theobald, the president of Vecna Technologies, which is developing the robot for the US Army, said: "We saw a need for a robot that can essentially go where a human can. The robot will be an integral part of a military team."
Gary Gilbert, from the US Army's Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Centre in Frederick, Maryland, said that the teddy bear appearance was deliberate.
"A really important thing when you're dealing with casualties is trying to maintain that human touch."
Vecna is working on other potential applications for the robot technology - including helping move heavy patients in hospital.

100pr00f
06-11-2007, 08:14 AM
A 41-year-old man drowned Wednesday after getting stuck in a storm sewer trying to retrieve a cell phone, police said.

The man weighed more than 300 pounds and was wedged with his head and shoulders underwater in a vertical storm drain in front of his home, said police Lt. Tim Eirich.

The man's identity was not released pending notification of relatives.

Neighbor Chris Van Erem said he saw the man kneeling over the sewer before he fell in. Police said the man pulled the iron grate off trying to get the cell phone.

Then, a child from the neighborhood ran toward Van Erem frantically. Van Erem said he then saw the man's feet sticking up out of the grate.

"I ran over and tried to pull him on out," Van Erem said. "Absolutely helpless was the feeling. I couldn't budge him."

Van Erem had the child call 911 as he continued to try to free the man.

"I could see his head and his shoulders were completely under the water," he said. "His legs weren't moving. He was completely unresponsive."

Van Erem said it ultimately took six firefighters to pull the man from the sewer. Sheboygan County Coroner David Leffin ruled the man's death as an accidental drowning.

The man's cell phone was later found at the bottom of the sewer, police said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19099629/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19099629/)

damaja
06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Haha, the last line is funny! Fat fuck, if he wasn't a bulk, he might still be alive.

100pr00f
06-11-2007, 09:56 AM
fuck the phone shit is no good now once it hit that water ..i would never do that shit

KidSha
06-11-2007, 10:36 AM
if my phone fell down the sewer i would just let it be, and get a new one...

damaja
06-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Exactly, that shit's not going to work anyway. Punk.

IRONFLAGCHIEF36
06-11-2007, 12:07 PM
See what obeseity gets you

100pr00f
06-11-2007, 12:50 PM
stuck in a sewer drain

netscape check two
06-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Pretty intelligent to use something with Mercury(one of the most dangerous substances known to man) as a preservative, and then go and give it to kids, which are even more vulnerable.

-Children with autism get day in court

Mon Jun 11, 12:46 PM ET
WASHINGTON - The parents of 12-year-old Michelle Cedillo asked a federal court Monday to find that their child's autism was caused by common childhood vaccines, a precedent-setting case that could pave the way for thousands of autistic children to receive compensation from a government fund set up to help people injured by the shots.

Wearing noise-canceling headphones, Michelle, of Yuma, Ariz., was brought into the courtroom in a wheelchair at the start of the proceedings before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. She stayed only a short time.

Her parents, Theresa and Michael Cedillo, allege a preservative called thimerosal that had been used in vaccines weakened their daughter's immune system and prevented her body from clearing the measles virus after she was immunized for the disease at age 15 months.

Today, Michelle suffers from a litany of health problems, including severe autism, inflammatory bowel disease, glaucoma and epilepsy.

"We hope to find out what happened and hopefully get the help she needs," said Theresa Cedillo, who takes care of her daughter full time at home.

Special Master George Hastings Jr. thanked the family for allowing theirs to be the first of nine test cases that will help guide the resolution of some of the nearly 5,000 similar claims lodged with the government.

"Clearly the story of Michelle's life is a tragic one," Hastings said in pledging to listen carefully to the evidence presented during the three-week hearing.

The burden of proof is easier than in a traditional court. Plaintiffs only have to prove that a link between autism and the shots is more likely than not, based on a preponderance of evidence.

Large scientific studies have found no association between autism and vaccines containing thimerosal.

But many parents say their children's symptoms did not show up until after their children received the vaccines, required by many states for admission to school.

"These are families who followed the rules. These are families who brought children in for vaccines. These are families who immunized their children," said the Cedillos' attorney, Thomas Powers.

Powers said that the science regarding a possible vaccine-autism link is in dispute.

Government attorney Vincent Matanoski dismissed much of what the plaintiffs are expected to present as conjecture or speculation.

"You'll find their hypotheses untested or, when tested, have been found false," Matanoski said.

Since 1999, more than 4,800 families have filed claims with the government alleging their children developed autism as a result of routine vaccinations. Most contend that a preservative called thimerosal is to blame for the impaired social interaction typical of the disorder.

The court is being asked to decide whether there is a link between autism and childhood vaccines. If it finds one exists, the families could be eligible for compensation under the Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund, a program established by Congress to ensure an adequate supply of vaccines by safeguarding manufacturers from lawsuits. Under the program, people injured by vaccines receive compensation through a special trust fund.

Autism is characterized by impaired social interaction. Those affected often have trouble communicating, and they exhibit unusual or severely limited activities and interests. Classic symptoms of mercury poisoning include anxiety, fatigue and abnormal irritation, as well as cognitive and motor dysfunction.

Monday's case addresses the theory that the cause of autism is the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine in combination with other vaccines containing thimerosal. The preservative, about 50 percent mercury by weight, is no longer found in routine childhood vaccines but is used in some flu shots.

In July 1999, the U.S. government asked vaccine manufacturers to eliminate or reduce, as expeditiously as possible, the mercury content of their vaccines to avoid any possibility of infants who receive vaccines being exposed to more mercury than is recommended by federal guidelines.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070611/ap_on_go_ot/autism_vaccines

diggy
06-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Have u ever wondered what that must have been like for him? Like what was going thru his mind knowing his head is under filthy water and he is going to die that way?

That must have been horrifying. His weight was a factor in his death but stupidity was another. He should have just walked by. Fat dumb fuck.

NY_Mami
06-13-2007, 03:34 AM
I would've just let that shit go.......and getta new one..........

444trumpets
06-25-2007, 11:41 PM
San Francisco bans bottled water for city staff

SAN FRANCISCO - Thirsty San Francisco city workers will no longer have bottled water to drink under an order by Mayor Gavin Newsom, who says it costs too much, worsens pollution and is no better than tap water.

Newsom's executive order bars city departments, agencies and contractors from using city funds to serve water in plastic bottles and in larger dispensers when tap water is available.
"In San Francisco, for the price of one 1 gallon (3.8 litres) of bottled water, local residents can purchase 1,000 gallons (38,000 litres) of tap water," according to the mayor's order.
Newsom estimates San Francisco could save $500,000 (250,196 pounds) a year under his directive, which also addresses environmental concerns over the amount of oil used to make and transport plastic water bottles.
"All of this waste and pollution is generated by a product that by objective standards is often inferior to the quality of San Francisco's pristine tap water," according to the order.
The ban on the ubiquitous plastic bottles follows a prohibition in March by city officials on plastic shopping bags in large supermarkets because recycling efforts had largely failed.

netscape check two
06-26-2007, 01:13 AM
I know I wouldn't want to drink the nasty tap water from the area where I'm from. But maybe it's better there in San Francisco. How bout having some bottled water in glass bottles though, instead of that crappy plastic?

444trumpets
06-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Politician okays marijuana in food

JAKARTA - Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla, who opposes legalizing marijuana, doesn't mind the drug being used in cooking, a newspaper reported on Wednesday.
"It's alright to use it as a food seasoning, but it should not be fully legalized," Kalla was quoted as saying by the Jakarta Post daily.
Kalla was commenting on a recent study by two Indonesian agencies dealing with drug abuse that recommended the government review its policy to outlaw the use of marijuana for recreational purposes, the Post said.
Many of dishes in Aceh province, where hemp plants are grown, such as mutton and beef curry are said to be laced with marijuana seeds to give them a distinctive local flavor.
A drug expert from the National Narcotics Agency reportedly said Indonesia should follow the example of countries like the Netherlands, where marijuana is legal, because it is not as harmful as people thought.
Ratna Dwikora, the owner of an Acehnese food restaurant in Jakarta, told the Kompas newspaper "marijuana is available in any Acehnese kitchen just like coriander."
"Marijuana is a widely-accepted cooking spice there," she told the newspaper.
Indonesia imposes harsh penalties, including death, for narcotic offences as the country faces a growing drug menace.
Five Chinese nationals, a Dutchman and a Frenchman who appealed against the length of their convictions on drug charges were instead sentenced to death last month.
Six young Australians were sentenced to death last year for heroin smuggling on Bali, sparking anger in Australia where capital punishment has been abolished.

444trumpets
07-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Mega-mushroom a savory stunner in Mexicohttp://www.breitbart.com/images/common/dot.gif
Jul 10 02:49 PM US/Eastern
http://img.breitbart.com/images/2007/7/10/070710184905.473qrihk/SGE.ALW05.100707184715.photo00.photo.jpghttp://www.breitbart.com/images/common/dot.gif

A more than 20-kilo (41-lb) mushroom has been picked in a forest in Mexico's southernmost state of Chiapas, university officials said Tuesday.
The white mushroom, macrocybe titans, measured a towering 70 cm (27 in) tall, was found near Tapachula, near the Guatemalan border, according to the Southern Border University Center.

CrazyCoCasian
07-21-2007, 11:12 PM
I dont read the news as it is all controlled by the LUMINAtI but i would buy that mushroom from above