PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two Cities

SubtleEnergies
04-05-2006, 10:45 PM
I bought this book not long ago...simply because it's famous.

I have read about a quarter of it...and to be honest I don't see what all the hype is about....

Anyone else read this? What's your opinion on it?

LHX
04-05-2006, 11:38 PM
it was long and torturous

it was written chapter by chapter in a monthly magazine or something
so
maybe it was more bearable in that form

personally
i dont have the patience for that kind of literature any more

but
i did enjoy it when i first read it

i used to like dostoevsky too

Soulless
04-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Its an ok story. Plain and simple people today don't have the same tolerance for written storytelling as they once did. Back then books were the tv, movies, and all of that so the stories were written in a more grandiose fashion. That doesn't necessarilly mesh with most of today's readers.

Muslimah
04-07-2006, 09:49 PM
I loved the book. I can't believe people don't for that matter! It's about the people's struggle! Shit, it has everything from a brilliant master of the English language, to depth and substance in meaning. It is a beautiful tale of struggle and despair, and of humanity! This book not only depicts revolutions of many kinds, but also in itself, in its time, triggered a revolution in thought. It has many lessons, many still applicable today.

LHX
04-07-2006, 11:37 PM
I loved the book. I can't believe people don't for that matter! It's about the people's struggle! Shit, it has everything from a brilliant master of the English language, to depth and substance in meaning. It is a beautiful tale of struggle and despair, and of humanity! This book not only depicts revolutions of many kinds, but also in itself, in its time, triggered a revolution in thought. It has many lessons, many still applicable today.

there is a lot of melodrama tho

SubtleEnergies
04-10-2006, 02:54 AM
I have no problem with the themes. I just don't get all the hype....I mean it's definitely not the worst thing I have ever read....but I just don't think it's that well written. I guess maybe I had worked it up in my mind because the title is so well known.

Muslimah
04-10-2006, 08:28 AM
I can see where you are coming from. He has the kind of style that you either love or just can't get around... I do think that it is exceptionally well written though. His use of figurative language, imagery and more specifically metaphor is exceptional. I mean…it's not written in the typical novel format, but as was mentioned before, it was actually printed as a series in a newspaper. Obviously this would affect the way it was written, but personally I though it added character more then anything.

Anyways, when it comes to literature, a big part of it personal taste anyways and not everybody is going to agree. Can’t force someone to like something just because you do lol