PDA

View Full Version : The Streets

IRAN
04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Their new album was out today. Any thoughts on them?

Frontal Lobotomy
04-10-2006, 02:56 PM
First album was chilled. Second was pretty crap, I expect the third to be terrible. Shame really, Mike Skinner's not bad either. (that is his name, isn't it?)

damaja
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I hate the fucker. The Streets need to be taken off the streets. Or preferably dropped onto them from a high ledge.

ronaldo6
04-11-2006, 09:02 AM
i love the streets too lol their new album though to me is dissapointing only on for 37 mins only 2 songs stand out for me still like them though

TerroristTY
04-12-2006, 01:17 AM
I don't care what anyone says...Skinner is a genius..

Dr Zayus
04-12-2006, 02:28 AM
Great album. Dude is a genius in the sense that he's so fucked up he'll always have something to rap about. And the beats are fantastic.

NIGHT MAYOR
04-12-2006, 03:38 AM
the new album has been a feture (songs off the album played all week) on my radio station and i have to say his albums are on a sliding scale, original pirate material was great - i specialy love the song with the pot head and alco arguing which drug is better

a grand dont come for free was'nt as good, more directed at the pop side of hip-hop

and just like a pom in this album he is complaining - about fame no less - i mean do we have to suffer with him thru his 'terrible life' the beats are worse then ever and he doesnt seem to changing or advancing in his mc skills i give the recent album 3/10

he's original and diverse but a genius - far from it

:thumbdwn:

Krimewave
04-12-2006, 08:12 PM
RZA is a genius.
Brian Eno is a genius.
Joey Beltram is a genius.
Dr. Dre is a genius.
Mike Skinner is not a genius.

First album had alot of hot beats, but they were all spoiled by Skinner's vocals.
Second album didn't even have the beats.
If the new album turns out to be a bag of shite, it'll be twice as good as I expected it to be.

morgan
04-12-2006, 10:59 PM
I don't care what anyone says...Skinner is a genius..

on point.... beyond genius in fact

NIGHT MAYOR
04-13-2006, 02:27 AM
describe your meaning of genius because im lacking in understanding your understanding of the word........

ShaDynasty
04-13-2006, 09:52 AM
not feelin it
skinner sold out
makin fuckin pop songs
and why is he in sound shack
hes hip hop
thats why he raps over mid tempo beats
his shit doesnt even soung like garage or grime or nun of dat

morgan
04-13-2006, 10:09 AM
describe your meaning of genius because im lacking in understanding your understanding of the word........

In my eyes the kids a genius because he took elements of the music thats meant something to him through his life, ie the trance soundscapes on certain tunes, the garage drum patterns, hip hop beats (around mid-tempo as mentioned above). How many kids do i know in the same position he was in, the pubs and clubs, the daily routine of resin and bangin out eighths of green, goin thirds on a g of Charlie!! Dabbling in brown? Trapped in a sack of shit life? Fuckin hundreds. And none of them will come with something new and make it. And be ORIGINAL. Can someone please tell me how he sold out? Thats a bullshit fuckin statement if ever i heard one.

morgan
04-13-2006, 10:10 AM
I must say I havent heard his third album yet though so....

Dr Zayus
04-13-2006, 11:42 AM
. Dude is a genius in the sense that he's so fucked up he'll always have something to rap about.

Krimewave
04-13-2006, 11:51 AM
and why is he in sound shack
hes hip hop

I wouldn't have said The Streets' were a Hip Hop act.

as for Skinner being a genius.
like I already said, he's not a genius by any stretch of the imagination.

morgan
04-13-2006, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't have said The Streets' were a Hip Hop act.

as for Skinner being a genius.
like I already said, he's not a genius by any stretch of the imagination.

perhaps your imagination is not too stretchy?

crass
04-13-2006, 03:52 PM
i don't like the streets. but i think "too late" is an amazing song.

NIGHT MAYOR
04-13-2006, 04:44 PM
In my eyes the kids a genius because he took elements of the music thats meant something to him through his life, ie the trance soundscapes on certain tunes, the garage drum patterns, hip hop beats (around mid-tempo as mentioned above). How many kids do i know in the same position he was in, the pubs and clubs, the daily routine of resin and bangin out eighths of green, goin thirds on a g of Charlie!! Dabbling in brown? Trapped in a sack of shit life? Fuckin hundreds. And none of them will come with something new and make it. And be ORIGINAL. Can someone please tell me how he sold out? Thats a bullshit fuckin statement if ever i heard one.

put it this way - you have no idea about aussie hip hop - cunts stayin on the grind in small venues keepin it real, and if you can say no aussie hip-hop is original its obvious your narrow minded. ever herd of pegz ? large aussie hip-hop artist - owns obease records biggest hip-hop label in aus - no because he doesnt rap about what people want to hear and if you think about it uk rap and aussie hip-hop aint much diffrent. skinner lived in sydney for some time - he has artistic merit but genius man go get a dictonary, dont get me wrong like i said i like his stuff but yeah..... genius .....*shakes head*

+ as of recent his "flow" is more like talking.

ShaDynasty
04-13-2006, 05:25 PM
the first album was brilliant
it was fresh
from what ive heard of his new joint hes doing sumthing similar to eminem
by talking about his life in the spotlight and being famous and the troubles it brings
any1 who herd the eminem show or encore will know this isnt a good thing
he comes across as very patronising and over ambitious.
im ignoring him from here on out
dizzee rascal was the best uk rapper

Dr Zayus
04-13-2006, 08:38 PM
put it this way - you have no idea about aussie hip hop - cunts stayin on the grind in small venues keepin it real, and if you can say no aussie hip-hop is original its obvious your narrow minded. ever herd of pegz ? large aussie hip-hop artist - owns obease records biggest hip-hop label in aus - no because he doesnt rap about what people want to hear and if you think about it uk rap and aussie hip-hop aint much diffrent. skinner lived in sydney for some time - he has artistic merit but genius man go get a dictonary, dont get me wrong like i said i like his stuff but yeah..... genius .....*shakes head*

He didn't even mention Aussie Hip-Hop. And if you don't like Mike Skinner I could really give a fuck, but his "flow" has always been more like talking.

Dr Zayus
04-13-2006, 08:42 PM
the first album was brilliant
it was fresh
from what ive heard of his new joint hes doing sumthing similar to eminem
by talking about his life in the spotlight and being famous and the troubles it brings
any1 who herd the eminem show or encore will know this isnt a good thing
he comes across as very patronising and over ambitious.
im ignoring him from here on out

You mean from what you've read of the reviews of the album. Listen to the album yourself and then make your decision.

NIGHT MAYOR
04-13-2006, 10:42 PM
He didn't even mention Aussie Hip-Hop. And if you don't like Mike Skinner I could really give a fuck, but his "flow" has always been more like talking.

he's was try'na say mike was the only one doing the hard yards n shit im saying there are alot more real rappers out there keepin real BEING ORIGINAL not making songs about his fame and stupid shit. again no genius.
:loser: ^O^ :loser:

Dr Zayus
04-14-2006, 07:25 AM
he's was try'na say mike was the only one doing the hard yards n shit im saying there are alot more real rappers out there keepin real BEING ORIGINAL not making songs about his fame and stupid shit. again no genius.

Do you want me to say it again? HE NEVER MENTIONED AUSTRALIAN HIP-HOP. He's probably NOT FROM AUSTRALIA. Mike Skinner and The Streets ARE NOT AUSTRALIAN.

Krimewave
04-14-2006, 08:43 AM

hardly.

roots manuva, fallacy, rodney p, klashnekoff, deadly hunter, MC D, chester p, skinnyman, lewis parker, taipanic, jehst, Supa-T, AM, shineye, darktroopa, kobayashi and cuba are just a few mcs that shit all over dizzee rascal.

I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of UK Hip Hop than me could probably list another 50 or so at least.

morgan
04-14-2006, 09:08 PM

Before this third album he hadnt made 1 song about his fame or stupid shit so wtf?

I was just saying he's done it in the most successful, critically and commercially, then any other kid in his position. By position i mean white young male from inner city UK. I didnt mention Australian or US artists for that matter.

But seeing as you mention it, bring me something as Aussie flavoured and original as The Streets is English and original. It wont happen. Not at a level that Mike Skinners at commercially AND critically.

I heard this album he's just made is pants but i'll buy it and see.....

morgan
04-14-2006, 09:09 PM

man you broke easy for no reason

NIGHT MAYOR
04-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Do you want me to say it again? HE NEVER MENTIONED AUSTRALIAN HIP-HOP. He's probably NOT FROM AUSTRALIA. Mike Skinner and The Streets ARE NOT AUSTRALIAN.

747 straight over your fucking head.

Dr Zayus
04-14-2006, 11:43 PM
747 straight over your fucking head.

I didnt mention Australian

He lived in Sydney for a year about 7 years ago. He's not Australian. He doesn't make Australian Hip-Hop. There is no reason to mention Australian Hip-Hop. If you really want to, make another fucking topic and whinge about how Hilltop Hoods and Phrase are really cool for making boring ass hip-hop.

NIGHT MAYOR
04-15-2006, 07:44 PM
like i said 747 - no point in arguing with someone who dont listen or to fucking dumb.

morgan
04-16-2006, 08:09 AM
like i said 747 - no point in arguing with someone who dont listen or to fucking dumb.

no offence mate but your the one talking shit

IRAN
04-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Got the album last week. I would give it 1 5/10. Maybe 3 decent tracks.

verbal vipa
04-18-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm From The Uk And Have Been Watchin The Streets From The Start And I Have To Say The Last Two Albums Have Been Wack And Don't Compare To The First. He Seems To Have gone Too Mersh Which is A Bit Strange As His Taste In Other Uk Musicians Is Getting Better As He As Been Rollin Wit The Likes Of Prof Green, The Mitchel Bros And Kano.

Maybe He'll Be Back On Form Next Time.Peace.
Ps. Check Out My Wunited Kingdom Thread On The Hip Hop Spot Forum.

Krimewave
04-28-2006, 09:18 AM
well, let's just rap this one up by saying The Streets are a big bag of steaming shite then shall we?
I reckon most of us will agree with that.

tajeco
04-28-2006, 01:31 PM
I like his first 2, haven't heard the new one yet

IRAN
04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
I like his first 2, haven't heard the new one yet

Its pretty poor in comparison to his first 2 albums.