PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen silent hill yet?

the surgeon
04-21-2006, 01:39 PM
has anyone seen it im really looking 4ward 2 it hopefully itll b better than all the other video game to film conversions.Its got a few good reviews which is a gd sign

Luther Large
04-21-2006, 01:56 PM
to be real i aint even gonna see it cuz anytime they convert a video game to a movie theyre nothin alike and it pisses me off like resident evil the movie was absoluotley nothin like the game

and silent hill doesnt look to promising either since the main character in the movie is a female but in the game it's a male so right there u already know they fucked with and it pisses me off cuz silent hill is a good game too and it could be a good movie if u stick to the original game

but i know it will dissapoint cuz like i said they probly fucked around and changed too many things from the game like with resident evil

Dough Snatcher
04-21-2006, 02:01 PM
I might go check it out tommorow night...

Ink Is My Drink
04-21-2006, 03:31 PM
to be real i aint even gonna see it cuz anytime they convert a video game to a movie theyre nothin alike and it pisses me off like resident evil the movie was absoluotley nothin like the game

and silent hill doesnt look to promising either since the main character in the movie is a female but in the game it's a male so right there u already know they fucked with and it pisses me off cuz silent hill is a good game too and it could be a good movie if u stick to the original game

but i know it will dissapoint cuz like i said they probly fucked around and changed too many things from the game like with resident evil

yeh dont u jus love it when they do that!

an its not as if they make the storyline sbetter they make them like twice as worse

resident evil fuk no the game storyline is alright the film though noooo! i seen both of them was such a waste of fukin time

Bloo
04-21-2006, 10:36 PM
For real ya'll take it from me, it's worth it. It's not as good as it could've been but it is the best videogame to movie transition so far. I mean, they even went so far as to points in the movie they even used the same fucking camera angles as the game did. And one thing I really liked is every piece of music in the movie is from the games.

Now they did have to change some stuff around in order to make sense of the story but it actually didn't hurt the story. It did get slow toward the middle but it never slowed too much to where you lost interest. My only real gripe is the lack of Pyramid Head, he was in the movie and all but he didn't have much screen time, only like three scenes. It's almost as if they threw him in to appease the fans. But it's all good :) If you wanna know what all his kills were I'll PM them to you if you holla. I don't wanna post them here and spoil it for the people who wanna be suprised.

All in all it's worth it. For those of you who don't understand the way the games work then the movie isn't gonna make any sense to you either. So don't go unless you go with someone who knows the games or you won't understand it. If you did go and still don't undersand it then holla cause it all made sense to me and I can clear it up for you.

If they do make a sequel, they need to focus less on making new characters.

Definately more http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Pyramidheadofficialartwork.jpg

brown_dogg
04-22-2006, 01:02 AM
i read a bunch reviews saying that it was weak in plot and scare-elements.

DREW-DIE$EL
04-22-2006, 02:49 AM
well i liked Mario Bros (prolly cuz of John Lugezama(sp?) )
and i like the final fantasy movie
and the mortal kombat movies
and resident evil 2
so yeah i guess ill go see silent hill sometime.. maybe when its out on dvd

Bloo
04-22-2006, 04:47 AM
i read a bunch reviews saying that it was weak in plot and scare-elements.

Na, a lot of the scares were snatched straight from the game. Some of them were kinda funny in tems of the demons and how they moved but they tried to mimic the game. The plot on the other hand was changed lot from what the game was based on. But the only reason why anyone would say it was eak is because they don't understand it. A lot move movie critics aren't gonna understand this movie if they don't understand the video game.

Icurus
04-22-2006, 09:31 AM
I cant read shit from bloohook, and I am not gonna try.

Minor Spoiler Warnings, Minor:

Look guys, fuck what people say, I didnt' read a fucking review and I saw the movie last night with my girl. it wasn't scary but it was bloody as hell. The plot was good in my opinion, really good. Yeah it was weird, but it was unpredictable. The ending/revelation was fucking awesome. Let's just say, people would sell their soul to the devil, just to get something back. However, what pissed me off was the lack of intelligence America has. I went to see it, and no offense but most of the people where GHETTO. So, at the end people where booing. Not cause they hated it, but probably cause of the last 30 seconds of the movie, nobody got it. I get it, and when you think about it, it makes sense, there is more to it than what you see.

The demons, pyramid man, and the two, main demons/the devil, are all awesome in the movie. People complain that the little girl was horrible in it, I thought so too in the beginning, until I saw her act in her counter part, then it click on why she was annoying in the beginning. The point is, she is amazing, that little girl can act, and she plays three characters so pay attention, they are all relevant to the plot.

The main actress wasn't that bad, but totally goes on the opposite side on the end, big switcharoo. It is good, not perfect, but definitely the best video game movie period. Homage to the clive barker classics, I say.

the surgeon
04-22-2006, 09:59 AM
i heard about a scene when someone gets skinned and pyramid head is the best in it,shame he isn't in it much.Is he important to the story line?was cybil any gd

Bloo
04-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah, his role wasn't really all that major. He was in it but he didn't need to be. There wasn't any explination as to who he was so it's safe to assume he's just the demon's henchman. But yeah, Cybil was good, she played the role well and did her thing. She was kinda annoying in the beginning but she came around when she realised what was going down.

Bloo
04-22-2006, 10:29 AM
I cant read shit from bloohook, and I am not gonna try.

All you gotta do is turn up your brightness bro

RynMur
04-22-2006, 11:08 AM
I watched the movie last night. For never playing the video game I think I understood the ending and thought the movie was still good. The other reason besides people not understanding the movie, I think people booed b/c it didn't end happily like most movies do. People these days are too simple minded and always think something is good when it ends joyfully.Ok this is a **SPOILER**, so if you haven't seen the movie don't read on. Ok just to get some things straight. The little girl was the demon the whole time right? She was the little girl, the reaper lil girl, and the demon all in one? And at the end they were ghosts, one b/c the girl was already a part of the demon and two, cuz the mother let the demon enter here to get the story across right??? Thanks **SPOILER**

Bloo
04-22-2006, 11:18 AM
SPOILER

Well kinda...

It's like this. You have three different beings here.

1. Sharon, the little girl that Rose adopted and takes to Silent Hill
2. Alessa, the crispy little girl in the hospital bed.
3. The Dark One, the one actually behind all of this, the one running around the whole time that they were in SH that Rose thought was Sharon.

Sharon is in fact the positive persona of Alessa

Alessa is bad, but only because of what happened to her

The Dark One, gained access to with world through Alessa's hate, so in a way she's like to door into the world for the demon.

RynMur
04-22-2006, 11:31 AM
**SPOILER**
Thanks...I thought I was pretty close to getting it. So the mother was a ghost the entire time upon entering Silent Hill? Damn now I want to play the games to understand other parts. The last question I have is what's the story behind the demon with the big swords??
**SPOILER**

Bloo
04-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah, everyone in the town that was part of that cult was dead. They just wouldn't lay down :)

Ah yes, Pyramid Head! He's the stalker of James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2. He pretty much follows you around the game stopping you up whenever he gets the chance, simmliar to what he was doing in the movie. They didn't explain his presence in the movie much because basically I think they just put him there to shut the fans up. But in the game it goes like this...

Back during the Civil War, Silent Hill had a prison camp for captured rebel soldiers (As SH was in the North). At the prison camp they would have executioners who would usually wear white smocks and triangular hoods to conceal their face. The prisoners would have a choice of how they would like to die, either...

1. By hanging
2. By skewering

Hanging is pretty much self explanitory, as for the skewring, they would take the prisoner, hang them upside down on a metal box frame, and spear them through the chest. Afterwards the executioner would clean off the instruments at Toluca Lake or "Blood Lake" as the water tended to get quite red. Pyramid Head represents part of the town's bloody history as the spirit's of such men couldn't possibly be pardoned due to the excessive murders on his soul. So they're pretty much damned to roam in Silent Hill. PH's look is similar to the costume he used to wear as an executioner only instead of a triangular hood he has an extremely pointy head now. In the game Pyramid Head is a lot more of a badass than the regular demons because not only is he out to kill the damned who happen to flock to SH for whatever reason, but he also kills other demons (and is seen in a few scenes in the game which can only be described as rape of a demon). The first half of the game he can be seen carrying the Great Knife - which is the weapon he was using in the movie. The other half og the game he's using a spear - like the ones used to skewer the prisoners to death.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/40/Sh2_judgement.jpg

This is the picture you find in the game that kinda explains that he was to be the one to lead the damned once time came to take over. You can see the tortured souls of his skewer victims behind him.

Hope that clears that up for you :) Also, remeber. This has nothing to do with the movie his role in the movie is purely to wreak havoc.

Sicka than aidZ
04-22-2006, 12:18 PM
dude, what other video games are as cool as silent hill when it comes to demon raping cult skewering hell holes with ghost girls runnin around deathcamps with pyramid motherfuckers in em?

brown_dogg
04-22-2006, 03:16 PM
you guys got me interested now. i think i wanna see this movie despite the shitty reviews i've read.

the surgeon
04-22-2006, 03:57 PM
4 real its sounding 2 dope i have 2 see it soon hopefully james will be in part 2 he had the best story in all the games in my opinion.Question anyone who play 4 know if his dad is in the game

Bloo
04-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah SH2 definaely has the best story hands down.

And yeah, James' father is in part 4. Frank Sunderland, he plays the landlord for the apartment complex the game takes place in.

Rorschach
04-23-2006, 06:42 AM
*possible spoilers*

Pyramidhead was crazy. I think it could have been given more time on the screen though (the part in front of the church was amazing)

The toilet scene had everyone in the cinema cringing, which you don't see often in cinemas .One of the best scenes of the year so far.

Can't say it's a classic, but a very, very good film. I though it was a great film,the only thing letting it down was the acting in certain parts and a somewhat weak script,but well worth seeing for anyone deciding whether or not to go see it.

Would love a sequel, and I think it's set up nicely for one too.

Icurus
04-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Bad reviews cause they didn't understand the movie, plus gans is a french director (crying freeman, brotherhood of the wolf) So, he never does films that american audience can relate, cause its more like a french film. This is his first American movie, and fought hard to get the rightd to do silent hill, he worships the game. By the way, the movie is definitely the best adaptation of a video game. BEST VIDEO GAME MOVIE EVER. I saw something different about the ending than most people do

spoilers:

I thought the devil made rose choose, and once she chose the darkness to get her daughter back, that she will remain in the devil's domain/darkness, and rose knew this. Hence towards the end she wasn't freaking out and screaming trying to look for her husband. She knew what path she took and she loves her daughter very much. So, she sold her soul to the devil.

end spoiler:

By the way, the music at the final confrontation was fucking insane, all the music and camera angles were straight from the game. Absolutely amazing, fuck what the critics say, and by the way, the reviews are still better than most video game movies.

Dough Snatcher
04-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Yo man i just saw it last night and that shit was worth it. It was this one part when this bitch got her fuck'n skin ripped off, that had just about everybody in the theater flip'n out. The ending is the only thing that had me kinda mad though because i dont really understand what happened...

Dough Snatcher
04-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Na, a lot of the scares were snatched straight from the game. Some of them were kinda funny in tems of the demons and how they moved but they tried to mimic the game. The plot on the other hand was changed lot from what the game was based on. But the only reason why anyone would say it was eak is because they don't understand it. A lot move movie critics aren't gonna understand this movie if they don't understand the video game.

Ive been on this site for a while and ive seen your sig a few times. Now that ive seen this movie im just now understanding the joke entitled...hahaha

(Double post, but who cares.)

Ink Is My Drink
04-23-2006, 01:22 PM
so what age rateing is it ?
might go watch it when it comes out (dont think it hit the UK yet)

Dough Snatcher
04-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Its rated R...

the surgeon
04-23-2006, 04:12 PM
its only a 15 here in the uk which dont make sence 2 me from ive been hearing

JackOfHearts
04-23-2006, 04:26 PM
its ok- its more blood thirsty and sick then scary.

the surgeon
04-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah SH2 definaely has the best story hands down.

And yeah, James' father is in part 4. Frank Sunderland, he plays the landlord for the apartment complex the game takes place in.

what ending do u think they used from part 2 then does his father say anythings about it

Icurus
04-23-2006, 09:43 PM
I am not lying when i say this. I talk to this guy in a video game store today who saw the movie, and he thought it was absolutely horrendous. I totally disagree, so I said that "at least its better than stay alive", he goes "what stay alive was great"

Ok, I figured it out, I don't think anyone fully understood the movie as a whole and people just figured it sucked. Here is the problem. Silent Hill the movie does not play out like your typically horror movie, I mean, seriously, who would have known that the mother is still alive strapped on a barbed wired bed while the devil is trying to reunited the daughter, biological mother, and foster mother to destroy a witch hunting cult thats being haunted by demons from hell, and the twist is that the demons are the heroes and the witch huanting cult are the villians.

Does that sound like a typical american horror film? No. Will it fuck with people's heads? Yes. So, that is why people hate it. It is completely unpredictable. Most audiences need something where they can grasp the meaning of a film, or have a happy ending.

spoiler:
the demons/heroes win. Kinda of weird huh.
end spoiler:

So, stay alive was just a basic ghost story about a ghost trapped in a video game with teenagers running around.

Another reason people didn't like Silent Hill, after talks with people about it. It that there were no male leads. Meaning, most of the important characters were all women. And violence on women freaks audiences out.

Kill Bill is a love it or hate it movie, no in between. Silent Hill same thing, both films dealt with mostly women. But they were very violent.

Oh, and Silent Hill was definitely, in my opinion, more violent than Kill Bill.
Remember, the biological mother, and what they did to her. The hospital scene was sad and hard to watch.

Let's face it, the film was so weird and bizarre it was difficult to accept as a good movie for most people. But open your mind and let it absorb you. The movie was amazing, and alot better than most of the shit thats been out in the past couple of years.

One last thing, the music ruled in this movie.

Bloo
04-24-2006, 12:17 AM
what ending do u think they used from part 2 then does his father say anythings about it

Actually no, he never does speak about James in the game. But at one point in the game when you're walking around your apartment, if you look at the picture hanging over the couch the main character talks about how Frank gave him the picture when he moved in and then goes on to say that Frank told him about how his son and daughter in law went missing in Silent Hill a few years back. So it's safe to assume James never did get out.

Bloo
04-24-2006, 12:25 AM
I am not lying when i say this. I talk to this guy in a video game store today who saw the movie, and he thought it was absolutely horrendous. I totally disagree, so I said that "at least its better than stay alive", he goes "what stay alive was great"

Yeah, it's safe to assume here that either said store clerk either was a big fan of SH and dissapointed or that he didn't understand it but went to see it cause it was based on a video game.

Another reason people didn't like Silent Hill, after talks with people about it. It that there were no male leads. Meaning, most of the important characters were all women. And violence on women freaks audiences out.

I think that this might have had a reason to do with some of it's sucess so far. But I also think that they chose to switch the part to a female lead because people wouldn't have accepted a male going this far for his daughter.

Oh, and Silent Hill was definitely, in my opinion, more violent than Kill Bill.
Remember, the biological mother, and what they did to her. The hospital scene was sad and hard to watch.

That much was pretty much snatched from the game. Now the same thing was done but it wasn't done the same way. Instead of the town burning it was only the house she was in.

One last thing, the music ruled in this movie.

That's one thing I did like about it, every single piece of music in this movie was snatched from the games. That really helped in terms of keeping with the game. I was listening to all 4 SH soundtracks on the way home playing the tracks they used in the movie :)

the surgeon
04-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Actually no, he never does speak about James in the game. But at one point in the game when you're walking around your apartment, if you look at the picture hanging over the couch the main character talks about how Frank gave him the picture when he moved in and then goes on to say that Frank told him about how his son and daughter in law went missing in Silent Hill a few years back. So it's safe to assume James never did get out.

thanks man that sounds dope i got 2 finish the game off i guess they used the ending when he drives in 2 the river wid his wife in the trunk

Ink Is My Drink
04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Its rated R...

whats rated R mean? haha sorry im frm UK (an i know it a 15 in UK now but still wondering)

the surgeon
04-24-2006, 02:32 PM
r's like an 18 in the uk

Shitao
04-29-2006, 03:52 AM
I love Silent hill (the video game) and I saw the movie last night. Not perfect but the atmosphere of the video game is here. The darkness, the deepness, the music... Reminds me HP Lovecraft, Jacob Ladder... Very good movie...and fo sho not a "classical Horror movie"... Like the video game isn't a classical "Resident evil like"... Good work Christophe Gans.

Icurus
04-29-2006, 08:54 AM
I love Silent hill (the video game) and I saw the movie last night. Not perfect but the atmosphere of the video game is here. The darkness, the deepness, the music... Reminds me HP Lovecraft, Jacob Ladder... Very good movie...and fo sho not a "classical Horror movie"... Like the video game isn't a classical "Resident evil like"... Good work Christophe Gans.

Yeah, its not perfect, but expect it to be a classic, a cult classic. Because the film definitely is a difficult movie for most viewers to love. It does have a limited amount of people that will like it. So, yeah its a cult classic in my opinion.

Does anyone know what the music at the end was from, the scene were alessa rises and obliterates the cult. Where is the music from, and what is the name?

the surgeon
04-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Pyramid Head Was Dope In This Movie!why Wasn't He Used More !!the Monsters Looked Amazing I Loved The Janitor When He Came 2 Life.the Music Was Dope Straight From The Game So Where The Camera Angles ,the Camera Work Was Fantastic.the Acting From The Rose,sharon,cybil(didn't Like The Way She Died Though Was Ott),and Sean Bean's Character.my Complaint Is The Story,it Could've Been Better The Last Half An Hour Was A Little Dissapointing.question?spoiler:i Think I Get The Ending But Y Couldn't Rose Leave Silent Hill After Helping The Dark One