PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good MC?

Wongo921
04-29-2006, 06:26 PM
I would like to have more knowledge about the music I listen to, so I can appreciate it more. What factors do you consider when listening to an MC? Honestly, the first thing when listening to an album I notice is the production, then I pay more attention to the lyrics. But what do you look for in an MC? And also, what exactly are people talking about when they talk about an MC's delivery? Thanks

Luther Large
04-29-2006, 06:31 PM
imma say being able to feel a beat and drop the right lyrics over the right production 2 put your listeners in the certain mindstate that u want them in

other than that i'm either feelin an emcee or not

J-DON
04-29-2006, 06:58 PM
^ All that has to be said has been said right there.

Qualities of a top Emcee are

Breath Control
Flow
Voice
Proper Inflection
Charisma
Original Style and Character

You have to have to be a relatable character. You can have all the lyrics and flow you want but if people dont relate to you as a person you just come off dry (which is why I think people sleep on Deck and Masta Killa). You cant just be a rapper.

cap
05-02-2006, 07:16 PM
rappers have to be witty too,with lines that make u go "damn,why didnt i think of that" u know?

Fucking Haters.
05-02-2006, 07:36 PM
If you can talk rhyme and represent then you're a MC in my book.

Luther Large
05-02-2006, 07:37 PM
^^^well he said good mc

Fucking Haters.
05-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Si and if that/it sounds good, then you're a good MC. Delivery is how you bring your message.

PDTantisocial
05-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Having flow
Having breath control
Having strong voice/vocal tone
Strong lyricism
Originality/Creativity/Conceptuality
Being able to switch up styles
At least some freestyle ability

Luther Large
05-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Having flow
Having breath control
Strong lyricism

freestlying can help in sum cases it has nothing to do with being a good mc

Fucking Haters.
05-02-2006, 07:48 PM
You don't need all these/those tricks you can use them but it goes/have/has to go out of yourself.. If it's good. Handy if you know languages/more languages 2.

Wu-Tang 9
05-02-2006, 08:24 PM
lyrics
flow
passion

theres a lot more but those are the top three that come to my mind when the ? was asked

PDTantisocial
05-03-2006, 05:56 AM
A nice MC can drop a tight rhyme on the spot, ready for battle.

Iron Man
05-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Thats true in my book as good MC has to have top freestyle ability. Unlike 50 and Game whom i've never seen freestyling. Kanye is overrated and acts like he can do all the shit RZA can..rapping,producing, freestyling, dropping knowledge etc. I'm not a dickrider RZA is just the first example that came to mind. Plus if you ever heard Kane freestyle he stutters as a motherfucker.

All he great MC can freestyle. Or it can be the other way around good freestylers are good MC's. KRS, Canibus, Big L. Rakim etc

Rorschach
05-03-2006, 11:14 AM
No disrespect to anyone who's already posted, but I disagree with you all. I only have one rule that all the MC's I listen to need to have;

That's that they must keep my attention. So all the artists I listen to fulfil that criteria, that ranges from T.I to GZA, Rakim to 50 Cent and Pharoahe Monch to The Game.

Funk_Dock
05-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Having flow
Having breath control
Strong lyricism

pretty much on point here PD, but something no one has mentioned.....is the ability to ROCK THE CROWD

since we're talkin bout str8 up emceein then thats a crucial and over looked point

Dirty Knowledge
05-03-2006, 03:19 PM
You have to be a dope freestyler because all battlers are freestylers. And lots of NY cats got in to the game battling. That's my opinion. I think freestyle is a lost art and now adays on mixtapes you have "freestyles" that are written. Dope freestylers like Eminem could do a freestyle track and release it as is. Freestyle is that connection real emcees have to eachother because anybody can write a verse. Anybody. Unless you're real bad at writing and aren't the creative type. I've peeped mad internet tracks from white boy geeks who rip shit up. They can't flow it though so they remain just writers. You can have dudes like a Krayzie Bone that got mad rhythm and can keep a listener tuned in just by his sound but fake their lyrics or just aren't real. Freestyle is an artform above any platform you put lyricism or writing tracks. I think of Rza and DMX battling and Rza spitting some whack shit but STILL freestyling and keeping the crowd hype off that fact alone. Then I think of Papoose labeling tracks freestyles that obviously ain't. I question a lot of rappers in the booth Rap city if they even really freestyle. Peep any volume of the Wake Up Show but I'd suggest the one where Aceyalone and Common battle Killah Priest and Capadonna to see what real freestyling is all about. I mean of course you need to be on beat and what not to be a good rapper, but damn that's rap. Hip Hop isn't always about someone riding a beat sounding sweet you can have an MF Doom who sounds lame as fuck but still kicks some real shit. Freestyle number 1. And for anyone who says "Freestylers don't sell, look at Jin" they still got in the position they are in for freestyling.

Luther Large
05-03-2006, 03:23 PM
You have to be a dope freestyler because all battlers are freestylers. And lots of NY cats got in to the game battling. That's my opinion. I think freestyle is a lost art and now adays on mixtapes you have "freestyles" that are written. Dope freestylers like Eminem could do a freestyle track and release it as is. Freestyle is that connection real emcees have to eachother because anybody can write a verse. Anybody. Unless you're real bad at writing and aren't the creative type. I've peeped mad internet tracks from white boy geeks who rip shit up. They can't flow it though so they remain just writers. You can have dudes like a Krayzie Bone that got mad rhythm and can keep a listener tuned in just by his sound but fake their lyrics or just aren't real. Freestyle is an artform above any platform you put lyricism or writing tracks. I think of Rza and DMX battling and Rza spitting some whack shit but STILL freestyling and keeping the crowd hype off that fact alone. Then I think of Papoose labeling tracks freestyles that obviously ain't. I question a lot of rappers in the booth Rap city if they even really freestyle. Peep any volume of the Wake Up Show but I'd suggest the one where Aceyalone and Common battle Killah Priest and Capadonna to see what real freestyling is all about. I mean of course you need to be on beat and what not to be a good rapper, but damn that's rap. Hip Hop isn't always about someone riding a beat sounding sweet you can have an MF Doom who sounds lame as fuck but still kicks some real shit. Freestyle number 1. And for anyone who says "Freestylers don't sell, look at Jin" they still got in the position they are in for freestyling.

no not all battlers are freestylers

look at GZA he battled growin up with well crafted ryhmes not freestyles

and your definetly wrong by saying every1 can write a verse thats ridiculous

half the people that wanna be rappers nah fuck that half of the rappers out cant even write a good verse

so go sumwhere with that cuz that aint true