PDA

View Full Version : Grant Morrison

Os3y3ris
05-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Anyone else read his works? If not, I recommend that you get some of his stuff ASAP. Writes the most brilliant comics. The concepts that he drops are fucking mind blowing. Its the type of shit that makes you wanna jump up and start the revolution tomorrow. His two major works are The Invisibles and The Filth.

The Invisibles is a most interesting comic. Its basically dealing with two warring Illuminati factions, known as The Invisibles and Outer Church. The crazy shit is that all of the characters follow real philosophies to a certain extent. In fact, the shit is described as a sigil, not just a comic. Perhaps the most interesting idea contained within the comic is that off language being a weapon. In an early part of the series, its revealed that the alphabet is in actuality a demonic presence with the hidden name of Ay-bee-cee-etc. Its then used as a weapon, given the logic that if the language defines whats real to you, then it can be used in reverse, with external language defining whats real in your mind. Later on we see the 64 later alphabet with symbols so powerful that they break up the mind upon mere sight with the concepts they drop.

Morrison also deals with the concept of the gods of various cultures. In this world, they all exist, but in different states. In perhaps the best arch, one of the characters deals with the aztec gods where its revealed that they're all masks to be worn. The users apparantly manifest they're power in that form. The story covers a wide amount of cultures and traditions. One story pits the Dogon "gods" against the western ideals of machines and weaponry.

If you read up and understand the author's background, it becomes fairly obvious that he's one of the main characters in the story and really does believe these things. Check it out. Definitely worth a look.

As far as The Filth goes, it touches on a lot of the same concepts, but in a more abstract way. Can't really say anything about it. It has to be read to be understood.

LHX
05-04-2006, 03:43 PM
co-sign

i just started on the invisibles and its some dope shit

dif de la rev
05-06-2006, 10:06 PM
most comics under the vertigo publishing are pretty good. i'm collecting a majority of them.