PDA

View Full Version : Guru From Gangstarr

GSTYLE
05-10-2006, 05:51 PM
For me, Guru is a legend no doubt and he is a good MC, but he has never been up to par with Premier's beats ASIDE FRM THE MOMENT OF TRUTH LP. That is an all time classic, Guru really took the time to stake his claim as one of the greats and to make that the LP they remember him for. Its a damn shame they didnt get 5 mics for that album, because he deserved more attention for his work right there. BUT, HERES THE THING......

Ive heard Guru described as the tightest wack rapper there is. Would you agree with that?

Sometimes i listen to him and he comes off as if he is trying to be clever but his lyrics are just average, or he is rushin too much and bein lazy. I dont know, but he has shown flashes of genius, but also a lot of average moments. What do u think?

cap
05-10-2006, 05:56 PM
totally agree,
i made a thread about guru being way too simple at times a while back.

the shit he spits is sometimes too simplistic 4 words,i cant understand how some people put him in their top 10 list.
i do however respect & enjoy the dope tracks he made wit primo.

Luther Large
05-10-2006, 05:56 PM
For me, Guru is a legend no doubt and he is a good MC, but he has never been up to par with Premier's beats ASIDE FRM THE MOMENT OF TRUTH LP. That is an all time classic, Guru really took the time to stake his claim as one of the greats and to make that the LP they remember him for. Its a damn shame they didnt get 5 mics for that album, because he deserved more attention for his work right there. BUT, HERES THE THING......

Ive heard Guru described as the tightest wack rapper there is. Would you agree with that?

Sometimes i listen to him and he comes off as if he is trying to be clever but his lyrics are just average, or he is rushin too much and bein lazy. I dont know, but he has shown flashes of genius, but also a lot of average moments. What do u think?

i think he is a great consistant rapper with good lyrics he got a nice delivery too and his rap style sumtimes makes up for his sumtimes simple ryhmes nevertheless it's always good to hear him

just think he's NEVER put out a wack album maybe sumthin in the average to above average range but he's never put out an album that wasnt worth buying

he's 1 of the most consistant mc's out there

yes he's in my top 10 and for a reason too

PANDA PISS
05-10-2006, 05:58 PM
he has a simple flow
but he spits very intelligent thoughts
Guru and Premier are the perfect union
and i really dont understand cats sayin that moment of truth was the best gang starr album
please tell me im not the only one who thinks their 3 records before it were much better
guru is not a wack rapper, hes one of the best of all time
he just gets his point across all the time, sounds dope, and more importantly
his lyrics are actually positive, something which cant be said of most rap music (underground or otherwise)
and hes ALWAYS a match for Premos beats
and thats high praise

Luther Large
05-10-2006, 06:01 PM
he has a simple flow
but he spits very intelligent thoughts
Guru and Premier are the perfect union
and i really dont understand cats sayin that moment of truth was the best gang starr album
please tell me im not the only one who thinks their 3 records before it were much better
guru is not a wack rapper, hes one of the best of all time
he just gets his point across all the time, sounds dope, and more importantly
his lyrics are actually positive, something which cant be said of most rap music (underground or otherwise)
and hes ALWAYS a match for Premos beats
and thats high praise

agree with everything u said exept the moment of truth part

yeah he does come across simple sumtimes but he always gets his point across usually without being misunderstood yeah his thoughts are intelligent too

and even though his ryhmes can be simple the stuff he raps about is usually different than alot of mc's

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
05-10-2006, 06:17 PM
the greatest wack rapper?

what kind of bullshit is that?!?!?!

I think your shity opinions are great!

xHard to Earnx
05-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Lemonade was a popular drink.

Luther Large
05-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Lemonade was a popular drink.

and it still is

TAURO
05-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Sometimes I think that everyone here is so used to listening to complex and cryptic rhyming from Wu-tang and other such artists that when you go back and listen to a straight forward mc like Guru it just sounds too basic despite the positive lyrics.

Prolifical ENG
05-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Is it because he is monotonic?

Nah I dont get sick of him.

You want to know a wack emcee with a tight DJ? Magoo.

Luther Large
05-10-2006, 07:55 PM
i neva get sick of guru i luv'em just as much as the wu

Bedlam
05-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I agree with the thread starter, sometimes I wanna hit Guru he's so simplistic, but other times, like on the song "Moment of Truth" he comes off as one of the best ever. Its not just cause he's monotone, its cause he seems lazy sometimes when he's writing.

cap
05-11-2006, 06:45 AM
I agree with the thread starter, sometimes I wanna hit Guru he's so simplistic, but other times, like on the song "Moment of Truth" he comes off as one of the best ever. Its not just cause he's monotone, its cause he seems lazy sometimes when he's writing.

exactly.
couldnt agree more.

Cheech Da WildKard
05-11-2006, 07:16 AM
What is wrong with simplistic rhymes?

Would you prefer him to be spittin' shit you didn't understand, or took years for you to work out? ...To me, that stops you enjoyin' the shit

TAURO
05-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Masta ACE also has a straight forward rhyme style and I think it's great it just adds variety in the game, I do see peoples point about Guru but I would not ever say he was wack, if I want to listen to complex rhyming then I will listen to rappers that do that but sometimes I just want to hear something straight but keeping with the intellegent and positve lyrics.

pussy-with-teeth
05-11-2006, 11:28 AM
to me its not his lyrics that are the problem..its just his flow and his delivery..and his voice...that dude is wack imo

P-Noid Brown
05-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Guru's the shit because his flow and meaning behind it , is logical. Reality Rap....His solo album is supposed to be dope did anyone check it?

Luther Large
05-11-2006, 11:51 AM
to me its not his lyrics that are the problem..its just his flow and his delivery..and his voice...that dude is wack imo

u got bad taste

probly cuz your a pussy

guru's ill in no way is he wack not at all

he's 1 of the greatest mc's all time

TAURO
05-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Guru's the shit because his flow and meaning behind it , is logical. Reality Rap....His solo album is supposed to be dope did anyone check it?

I heard it was weak, the production let's it down.

P-Noid Brown
05-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Really? wow, that sounds like a disappointment because I heard 2 joints on the album i almost broke my neck son. on some real shit they was hot.

markd4213
05-11-2006, 01:10 PM
you probably havent heard enough gangstarr to speak about Guru's career. He is in my top three. His flow is original, his voice is dope, and him and primo make hits. He stays underground too, if he wanted he could crossover and make more money but he keeps it real

Luther Large
05-11-2006, 01:15 PM
guru just works better with premo than any1 else

the only person that sounds just as ill on a premo beat is NAS and sumtimes Jay-Z

TAURO
05-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Really? wow, that sounds like a disappointment because I heard 2 joints on the album i almost broke my neck son. on some real shit they was hot.

I heard a couple of tracks too that I thought sounded tight but people have said that it is weak overall, I don't know, I won't buy it until I can hear it fully first.

GSTYLE
05-15-2006, 10:09 AM
I wish they'd make a new gangstarr album

THE W
05-15-2006, 10:43 AM
his 7.0 album is finklematter

Luther Large
05-15-2006, 10:45 AM
his 7.0 album is finklematter

finkle or fecal?

THE W
05-15-2006, 10:47 AM
finkle or fecal?
which ever one stands for crap.

Luther Large
05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
which ever one stands for crap.

then you mean fecal...not.......finkle :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i dont think it was it wasnt a great album but it was a pretty solid release from Guru

benzo
05-15-2006, 12:33 PM
must be the voice that gets ya up, lotta rappers got FLAVOR and some got SKILL, but if you're voice ain't dope, then ya need to chill...

Luther Large
05-15-2006, 12:35 PM
must be the voice that gets ya up, lotta rappers got FLAVOR and some got SKILL, but if you're voice ain't dope, then ya need to chill...

i thought it was "MOSTLY the voice that gets ya up"

but i may be wrong

benzo
05-15-2006, 03:11 PM
^^^no you're right on. that's it. i guess Guru's a love/hate thing...

PANDA PISS
05-15-2006, 04:44 PM
3 words: mostly tha voice

how could you say his voice is wack, you must live in a paralel universe

THE W
05-15-2006, 05:34 PM
then you mean fecal...not.......finkle :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i dont think it was it wasnt a great album but it was a pretty solid release from Guru
whatever,

guru needs premo like cereal needs milk.

Luther Large
05-15-2006, 05:50 PM
whatever,

guru needs premo like cereal needs milk.

nah premo def helps but he is a well accomplished lyricist and he can do good on his own and he has he just hasnt done anything as good as his gangstarr albums which is still saying alot cuz not many things really touch gangstarr

deadlymelody
05-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Guru with Premier=Fine
Guru without Premier= Ehhh

This is why Gangstarr's albums just cannot be considered among the all time greats (even though I think Daily Operation is a classic). Moment of Truth, Hard to Earn, Step In The Areana I like all of them, but not spectacular.

Professor Poopsnagle
05-15-2006, 06:30 PM
guru is an asshole

Luther Large
05-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Guru with Premier=Fine
Guru without Premier= Ehhh

This is why Gangstarr's albums just cannot be considered among the all time greats (even though I think Daily Operation is a classic). Moment of Truth, Hard to Earn, Step In The Areana I like all of them, but not spectacular.

moment of truth is a classic and so is hard to earn there's no reason why they cant be listed with the all-time greats GANGSTARR is sum of the all-time greats

Professor Poopsnagle
05-16-2006, 11:21 AM
guru is an asshole

guru is a dope rapper. no doubt.

i donīt like the production of his album at all. too many high-pitched voices. but gang starr is classic shit.

saw him live 2 months ago. a friend of my girlfriend was supposed to interview him for the radio but he & his "supaproduca" solar totally lost it when she started with a gang starr question. he must be totally mad at premo. then after the concert ppl where partying, then all of a sudden guru came and tried to dance with her and my girlfriend.....and get their numbers......eh.....ok, thatīs when i saw one of my idols in a different light.

again, excuse the prior inappropriate expression, please.

guru is a hiphoplegend. credit where credit is due.