PDA

View Full Version : most importatant- the beat or the lyrics?

Cuchulain
05-12-2006, 03:20 AM
what do you think? i think a cool beat can cover for shit lyrics (ask 50)
but really good lyrics can't cover a shit beat.

4-Bar Killer
05-12-2006, 03:46 AM
When it's the first time you'll hear a song, it's definitely the beat. If you never heard a song before, and the beat sounds shitty from the start, you'd already judged it a bit.. But when you actually starts listening to it, the lyrics is definitely the most important thing.. Punchlines, sick flows or just a crazy story is always something that'll make a song much better.. So I'll say the lyrics.. the best example is Impossible - my all time wu-song. Wu has had so many much better beats, but the lyrics makes it my favorite wu-song ever..

Cuchulain
05-12-2006, 04:09 AM
i hear what your saying. helps with the longevity of the track, in that you can listen to it over & over again even after your tired of the beat.
good example. thanks

Johnny Dust
05-12-2006, 04:12 AM
Yeah, it's just like a girl. Beats are the body (first impression) and lyrics are the character (getting to know what's inside/behind).

Cuchulain
05-12-2006, 04:48 AM
hence the description fat ass beats!
:b

cap
05-12-2006, 05:37 AM
When it's the first time you'll hear a song, it's definitely the beat. If you never heard a song before, and the beat sounds shitty from the start, you'd already judged it a bit.. But when you actually starts listening to it, the lyrics is definitely the most important thing.. Punchlines, sick flows or just a crazy story is always something that'll make a song much better.. So I'll say the lyrics.. the best example is Impossible - my all time wu-song. Wu has had so many much better beats, but the lyrics makes it my favorite wu-song ever..

co-sign
well said.

Ghost In The 'Lac
05-12-2006, 05:59 AM
strange question. doesnt make sense hip hop is both, you cant seperate them or make one more important, they both need to be on point otherwise you got a wack song.

Alesco
05-12-2006, 06:06 AM
As far as hip hop music goes, If you take away the beats and tones, you just have a guy spitting his raps which is good, but you need music to go with the rapper. You need both to work together. The music is like the root of the tree, And the raps are the brachies. If you loose a few branchies the tree dosent die, But if the root of the tree goes, it dies.. The music is the stronger, in my opinion.. But like a said, When you put the two together you have some real tight sound.

Funk_Dock
05-12-2006, 09:30 AM
to make a good song takes both, but usually it depends, in general i cant listen to a song for long if it has a wack beat

Claustrofobic
05-12-2006, 10:57 AM
The Dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum

:learning:

Smif-N-Wessun
05-12-2006, 11:30 AM
The Dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum

nice quote man

Heaterz1990
05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
I Think both Beat and Lyrics are both evenly important

Edgar Erebus
05-12-2006, 12:41 PM
I listen song 3 times:

1st - i listen beat
2nd - i listen lyrics
3rd - i listen both and then I can judge if I really feel it

Greek Gheynician Anal Tradition
05-12-2006, 02:09 PM
to make a good song takes both, but usually it depends, in general i cant listen to a song for long if it has a wack beat

co

na diel
05-12-2006, 02:12 PM
if it has to be one or the other...bulldog with no beats. peace

bg357
05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I don't understand all the lyrics so first I listen to the beat and after I try to understand the maximum
but all is important even the flow