PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Code

Discipline
05-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Anyone hear about this movie? It sounds like a great movie because Tom Hanks and Ron Howard are involved. I'm almost done with the book so I can see it when it opens on Friday.

It's some real interesting material from Dan Brown. Even thought it's a book, I suggest you read it to enjoy and learn at the same time.

What go y'all think? :)

picturebloodbaths
05-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Anyone hear about this movie? It sounds like a great movie because Tom Hanks and Ron Howard are involved. I'm almost done with the book so I can see it when it opens on Friday.

It's some real interesting material from Dan Brown. Even thought it's a book, I suggest you read it to enjoy and learn at the same time.

What go y'all think? :)

All of Brown's books have exactly the same plot accompanied by terrible dialougue.

Can't stand him.

Right.
05-14-2006, 03:26 PM
I heard about that movie after War of The Worlds.

urban_angel
05-14-2006, 03:29 PM
true, like picturebloodbaths says, Angels and Demons and Da Vinci Code have the same plot...it's kinda lame...well I find it boring, how many times can you use the exact same plot over?

But like the first poster said, you 'learn' alot. When I read Da Vinci Code last year, I thought it was dope, and so I'm looking forward to seeing the film open on Friday :D

Yep, I know it's Tom Hanks, (who I love as an actor) and Audrey Tautou as Sophie, plus Ian McKellen is in it, and Paul Bettany as Silas and Jean Reno is in it!
It was filmed using Lincoln Catherdral (which is not far from me :D), cos apparently I heard they weren't allowed to film it in Westminster.
But yep yep, should be good, as I said I finished the book last year, so I've been waiting for this for time!

p

O:)

Frontal Lobotomy
05-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Right on, picturebloodbaths, Dan Brown is vastly over rated. On a literary par with J.K Rowling.
I read the Brown novels and like, once you're done reading about all the tech, there isn't much left after that, it's all rather empty. I'd say speculative, but it's too full of holes for that.
On the other hand, it'll offer the masses a dumbed down theory on how the church has lied to so many people, which might spark some new thinking among the masses. Beyond that, I think I'll wait to rent.

WU-KILLAH
05-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I loved the book, Im sure the movie will be nice as well . Can't wait to see it !

Icurus
05-15-2006, 12:53 PM
I felt the same way, when I read it two years ago. The novel was just ok, horrendous dialogue, and an interesting fast paced read, but nothing interesting since I heard about Jesus getting it on since I was 10.

led_mic
05-15-2006, 02:19 PM
so many people have read that book and the people that dont like to read will now see the genius of dan brown's Da vinci code. its going to be the biggest movie that has ever been released since titanic. Its going to be so big that Angels and Demons will be made into a movie and The Solomon Key will be a HUGE book as well as a movie just give it about 2 years. This is the biggest project in Hollywood.

galt john galt
05-16-2006, 01:59 PM
book sucked - the ending was lame.
that should put the movie as an unpopped kernel against a tub of pop corn.

Visionz
05-16-2006, 03:00 PM
All of Brown's books have exactly the same plot accompanied by terrible dialougue.

Can't stand him.__________________
Dean Koontz is the same way. But haven't read the book so I don't really have an oppinion on it, other than it looks interesting

Discipline
05-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks for responding!

Looks like mixed reviews from reading the book which is nice to see. I didn't expect people to think it was all great. I should be done by tomorrow so I can't wait to see it on Friday.

In the end it is a fictional book, but at the same time interesting. The movie should do as well.

WU-KILLAH
05-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Very bad reviews after it has been played in Cannes. Almost eveybody who saw it said it really sucked. That's a pitty cause I think it is a very nice book.

Discipline
05-20-2006, 10:40 AM
I just saw it last night!

Honestly, do not believe all the critics. Towards the end of the movie, there's more talking, but the beginning and the middle are great. The person who played Sir Leigh Teibing (I forgot his name) did an excellent job.

Also, the scenes with Silas are really powerful.

Of course not everything in the book is in the movie, but I still enjoyed it. Oh, I also think the ending in the movie was excellent.

I give it a B+.

TAURO
05-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Just saw the movie and thought it was great, I think that critics are being harsh on this one.
Assuming you haven't read the book it is full of twists and surprises although one in particular I saw coming a mile a way.
It is slow in many places but the story keeps you interested in whats going on, there are some fast paced moments but their very brief so if you want action don't see this.
I personally loved all the flashback sequences of ancient times, it seemed like you could make a movie based on those alone.
Overall very entertaining, worth watching. 3/5.

MaShPG
05-21-2006, 12:12 AM
I just saw it too, and it was pretty good. I suppose I should tell you I didn't read the book (non conformist!...haha, lame) but from a movie stand point it was good. I thought it was pretty predictable, but my girl didn't. Overall it was well done, don't believe the hype.

I think Da Pope is writing all these reviews, cause they all suck.

After the movie there were Christians waiting outside the theater passing out booklets disproving the movie. It's causing a lot of controversy. You should go see this movie.

kell16
05-21-2006, 12:28 AM
all i know is, it's alot of contraversy going around about this movie, so the shit better be something 2 watch

King Justice
05-21-2006, 01:25 AM
I just saw it too, and it was pretty good. I suppose I should tell you I didn't read the book (non conformist!...haha, lame) but from a movie stand point it was good. I thought it was pretty predictable, but my girl didn't. Overall it was well done, don't believe the hype.

I think Da Pope is writing all these reviews, cause they all suck.

After the movie there were Christians waiting outside the theater passing out booklets disproving the movie. It's causing a lot of controversy. You should go see this movie.

Yeah i thought i was pretty good too althought sometimes when they doin shit I was gettin lost im lik what but always caught back on

MaShPG
05-21-2006, 02:16 AM
yea, it's one of those movies you gotta piece together afterwards.

GENERAL WISE
05-21-2006, 03:52 AM
Just confirms that Jesus was man
Welcome to judivsm/Islam

urban_angel
05-21-2006, 05:33 AM
mmmmmmmm, so the general opinion seems to be that Da Vinci Code is well worth goin to see right? i'm supposed to see it tonight, I think, or this week anywayz. I heard that Tom Hanks let the movie down..........is this true?
The person I heard it from said that Tom didn't really fit the role well at all, but that the British stars (i.e. Ian McKellen, Paul Bettany - Silas) were really good, what are peoples thoughts on this?

p

Razorsharp
05-21-2006, 05:40 AM
i jus saw it today with my roomie... it was pretty good, despite the times the movie dragged... but overall it was a good movie, my roomie read the book, so he enjoyed it more.... peace

Discipline
05-21-2006, 11:40 AM
mmmmmmmm, so the general opinion seems to be that Da Vinci Code is well worth goin to see right? i'm supposed to see it tonight, I think, or this week anywayz. I heard that Tom Hanks let the movie down..........is this true?
The person I heard it from said that Tom didn't really fit the role well at all, but that the British stars (i.e. Ian McKellen, Paul Bettany - Silas) were really good, what are peoples thoughts on this?

p

Wow, I didn't expect people to think it was good. Honestly, it is worth seeing. There really isn't any good movies out there, so this is a entertaining movie to see. It's not a classic, but it's well worth it.

Yeah, I've heard that Tom Hanks was a let down, but he still did a good job. And yes, the British actors did an excellent job, so it balances it out.

When I went to see it, this guy outside was holding a huge crucifix, so don't expect a warm welcome LOL.

J-Cee
05-21-2006, 12:20 PM
this movie never appealed to me,it never will and i think it was ridiculously hyped up.Fukin Hollywood.

Icurus
05-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Its an ok movie, I dont care about religion, so I read the book, If you like the book, you will love the movie. The movie is just like the book, nothing changed, however, I thought the book was ok, and the movie was ok, and yes Tom Hanks is the worst charater in the entire movie. He was boring to watch, but Ian Mckellen like always saves the movie from being boring. You have to wait like 70 minutes for him to show though.

At least next week, in x3, mckellen will rule.

Soul Controller
05-21-2006, 02:33 PM
this film is aiight

but learning from this film is WRONG

u need to read and check on the things he mentions.
the p2 lodge. the knights of the templar,, the knights of the teutonic order, the knights of malta.. the priory of sion.. u need to geneological research also.. and and.. looking into FREEMASONRY
dan brown is a low level freemason (same as jk rowling and the person who did the lord of the rings shit, all these stories ahve the same msg/tail on human DNA grafting aswell as other thangs)
but really.. dan brown doesnt want u to know the truth.
he mixes some facts. with his own fiction,
then presents it as fact.
lol

the bloodline is much more deep than what brown can say..

if u really wanna know the 'da vinci code'
look into da vinci's works
check his works.. research more on esoteric symbolry and freemasonic symbolry. mix that with real history and events.. (that have been white washed) and u will be much more wiser and, what dan brown has stated.. will make even more sence..

peace too one and all

Soul Controller
05-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Just confirms that Jesus was man
Welcome to judivsm/Islam

no it doesnt..

thats what he/they want u to think what the blood line (holy grail is)

its not jesus' bloodline..
lol
nor king solomons ( do u know how many times.. the name of the sun is mentioned in solomon?)

or king davids.

his castle/temple never excisted!!

it goes much deeper

peace

Discipline
05-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Well, it looks like it cashed big time,

'Da Vinci' Has Largest '06 Weekend Debut
By GARY GENTILE
AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES - Moviegoers gave their blessing to the "The Da Vinci Code" over the weekend, spending an estimated $77 million to see the Tom Hanks religious thriller.
While the film didn't set a domestic box office record, it was the largest weekend opening of the year so far and became the second largest worldwide release after "Star Wars: Episode III." It garnered some $224 million worldwide, according to Sony Pictures.

The film also was the best domestic opening for both Hanks and director Ron Howard.

The movie's performance, combined with the family film "Over the Hedge" debuting in second place with $37.2 million, was a welcome contrast to the last two weekends that saw disappointing results from "Poseidon" and "Mission: Impossible III."

The total box office was down about 2.8 percent from the same weekend last year, according to studio estimates released Sunday. But that's a tough comparison given that last year's numbers included the record-setting debut of "Star Wars: Episode III."

"'Da Vinci' opening this big just tells you that people do want to go to the movies, they just need the right movie to go," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

Sony Pictures took a risk in the marketing of "The Da Vinci Code," keeping the adaptation of the Dan Brown best-seller under wraps until a few days before its opening.

The film received mixed reviews and protesters picketed outside a number of theaters, upset over the story's suggestion that Jesus Christ was married and had a child. But the controversy did little to deter moviegoers, who packed theaters in almost every country the film debuted.

"You had a built-in audience from the book and the awareness levels were so high from this film," Dergarabedian said. "You would have to live under a rock not to know this movie was opening."

The movie also set opening-weekend records in Italy and Spain, Sony Pictures said.

"This is a fantastically great surprise for us this morning," said Jeff Blake, vice chairman of Sony Pictures.

It was good news for the studio, which had been struggling of late and had been counting on "The Da Vinci Code" to boost its fortunes.

"This is starting out to be a very good year," studio chief Amy Pascal said.

The animated film "Over the Hedge" had a strong showing with its $37.2 million as part of a counter-programming strategy from distributor Paramount Pictures. While the opening was slightly low for a computer-animated family movie, the studio believes the film will hold its own next weekend as children have the Memorial Day holiday off.

"We thought we could very easily coexist with `The Da Vinci Code' and I think the numbers bear that out," said Dan Harris, executive vice president at Paramount.

The Tom Cruise action film "Mission: Impossible III" crossed the $100 million mark in its third weekend with a total domestic box office take of $103 million.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "The Da Vinci Code," $77 million.

2. "Over the Hedge," $37.2 million

3. "Mission: Impossible III," $11 million.

4. "Poseidon," $9.2 million.

5. "RV," $5.1 million

6. "See No Evil," $4.4 million

7. "Just My Luck," $3.4 million.

8. "An American Haunting," $1.7 million.

9. "United 93," $1.4 million.

10. "Akeelah and the Bee," $1 million.

netscape check two
05-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I read in my local newspaper that there were people protesting outside a nearby movie theater here. I think it's pretty stupid that people are protesting the movie. lol If they had anymore intelligence, they would know that it's just supposed to be a fictional movie. On the other hand, they should be used to fictional stuff, such as their religious beliefs.

urban_angel
05-23-2006, 10:26 AM
yep yep I saw this on the wknd. The dude I went to see it with hadn't read the book, and I had. I thought the same pretty much, it was a good movie, nothin classic bout it but. He loved it, and I thought that some bits from the book were left out..........I dunno...........in some ways I kinda expected more from the film, but I guess I could put that down to all the hype and billions of reviews I'd heard about it.
One thing I did agree with was that Tom Hanks, for me, did not fit the roel of Robert Langdon at all, and the British actors were grand. I liked Audrey as Sophie :)

oook,. next to see.............X Men III oooooooooooo!

p

tekunique
05-23-2006, 01:05 PM
shit was wack... mad dissapointed.

im a big fan of the book and i thought the movie was pretty much shit. it was true to the book, yeah but the screenwriting was horrible. while they are moving with the plot, the character developement was so poor that you dont feel nothing for the characters... only character that was on the money was Teabing, played by Ian McKellen. besides him, everyone was mediocre. but you cant blame the actors, its pretty much the screen writers' job to develop each character etc.

check it, Ron Howard & Tom Hanks are A-list peeps in hollywood, theyve suceeded much more than not BUT things they were succsesful with has a thing in common : AMERICAN.

Saving Private Ryan
Cinderella Man
Forest Gump
Apollo 13
Beautiful Mind

^^ all classic American tales... with Da Vinci Code, where almost everything is European based, theme, location, characters [except Langdon] and it just seemes out of place for Hanks & Howard for this film.

All in all, i was disappointed.
peace.

Icurus
05-24-2006, 01:17 AM
I agree with everything in your first paragraph. The book was good, the movie was exactly like the book, but it was horrible because of the weak character development. I mean Silas killing people in the movie was done badly, cause he does it without any reason or explanation, in the book however, it was better explained, and it gave somewhat of a reason why he was committing murder.

Soul Controller
05-24-2006, 08:30 AM
i dont even think im a watch the movie.

mixing fact with bullshit,
make it all seem like bullshit

/me puts on national treasure

Kong
05-24-2006, 08:37 AM
this film is aiight

but learning from this film is WRONG

u need to read and check on the things he mentions.
the p2 lodge. the knights of the templar,, the knights of the teutonic order, the knights of malta.. the priory of sion.. u need to geneological research also.. and and.. looking into FREEMASONRY
dan brown is a low level freemason (same as jk rowling and the person who did the lord of the rings shit, all these stories ahve the same msg/tail on human DNA grafting aswell as other thangs)
but really.. dan brown doesnt want u to know the truth.
he mixes some facts. with his own fiction,
then presents it as fact.
lol

the bloodline is much more deep than what brown can say..

if u really wanna know the 'da vinci code'
look into da vinci's works
check his works.. research more on esoteric symbolry and freemasonic symbolry. mix that with real history and events.. (that have been white washed) and u will be much more wiser and, what dan brown has stated.. will make even more sence..

peace too one and all

peace..

i dont think i will watch it, i havent read the book, i know a bit about it all but im not that intrested in these kinds of films anymore. kind of bullshit.

netscape check two
05-24-2006, 03:37 PM
i dont even think im a watch the movie.

mixing fact with bullshit,
make it all seem like bullshit

/me puts on national treasure

You liked the National Treasure movie? lol

abasi
05-24-2006, 04:39 PM
i'm getting the movie on bootleg

Kong
05-24-2006, 05:46 PM
i'm getting the movie on bootleg

im not going to bother downloading it lol

i just got that v for vendetta though. looks good.

abasi
05-25-2006, 11:25 AM
how was v for vendetta

Tha Double-P
05-25-2006, 11:46 AM
fuck the davinci code, the book looks gay, the movie sounds gay, and im not gonna waste my time readin or watchin borin garbage like that

abasi
05-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Was the dialogue that bad