PDA

View Full Version : why does eveyone hate on post-illmatic?

T.H.O.M.A.S. Man
06-08-2005, 07:17 PM
ok, obviously its the general opinion that illmatic is the best of nas' collection. i agree. but whenever i talk to someone it seems they always say 'oh everything nas has done after illmatic fuckin sucked.."

granted, there are some bad songs in there, the majority are better than what's passed off as good rap today. some of the lost tapes songs should have gone on god's son instead of the ones on the album.

also, is nas gonna drop a 50 diss? part of me doesnt want him to cause 50 isnt even on his level but i do wanna hear him destroy 50

Hayabusa
06-08-2005, 07:29 PM
I am,It Was Written, and Stillmatic was hot as fuck to me. Most non-Nas fans won't give those CDs the just due they deserve though idk. There lost i guess lol. Only shitty CD Nas but out was Nastradumas. Street's Disciple and God's Son could of been better though. IMO He got 4 classic CDs. Since 50 isn't on Nas level that might be reason he won't beef wit him but idk.

T.H.O.M.A.S. Man
06-08-2005, 07:58 PM
truue. streets disciple would have been much better on one disc. i pretty much like all of his cds except nastradamus. streets disciple i dont really care for though.

FuNk_Doc
06-08-2005, 10:12 PM
i like gods son best out of the nas albums i have heard. (illmatic, stillmatic, it was written, gods son)

ill0gic
06-08-2005, 10:21 PM
The main reason is probably in many listeners' eyes (or ears, in this case), nothing post-Illmatic is even REMOTELY close to Illmatic's level...

Not me though, I bump Stillmatic and Lost Tapes every now and then.

Hayabusa
06-08-2005, 10:27 PM
To me "I Am" is every bit as good as Illmatic some even like it more than Illmatic.

tical2000
06-08-2005, 10:40 PM
In my opinion IT WAS WRITTEN is also a classic..........but to be honest NAS has not put together a great "album" since IT WAS WRITTEN, he has had some killer songs though..........GODS SON came close

the messiah
06-09-2005, 12:51 AM
people think that nas fell off because thats what jay-z said in takeover, and people usually take sides with hov cuz mainstream heads dont even know who nas is.

tical2000
06-09-2005, 01:53 AM
people think that nas fell off because thats what jay-z said in takeover, and people usually take sides with hov cuz mainstream heads dont even know who nas is.
I dont think NAS has fallen off.....but as far as making consistenly good albums goes.....I dont think NAS has made one since IT WAS WRITTEN where I did not have to continuely hit the fast forward button (besdides LOST TAPES which was awsome).

like IAM (4-5 great songs), NASTRODAMUS (2-3 great songs on a shit album), STILLMATIC (last 5 songs blow....BRAVEHEART PARTY?), GODS SON ( most consistent album he has made since IT WAS WRITTEN), and STREETS DISCIPLE (alot of great tracks, but alot of filler too).

That being said, with a NAS album you always know there will be some classic tracks.......but since IT WAS WRITTEN there has always been alot of medicore tracks as well

Rebel_INS
06-09-2005, 03:15 AM
Illmatic is hott. Nas can still spit but he can do better hes capable of it.

And the diss on 50. Nas has actually came out with one lyric wise, I seen it a while back, and damn its nice. (If its the real one which im pretty sure). And 50 is wack by the way lol

MILF DOOM
06-09-2005, 07:25 AM
i wount sat post-illmatic has been hated on but that album was just damn good it will not be possible to top it. Its credith to the album in a way

pablobaluba
06-09-2005, 10:50 AM
i don't like nas style ....only illmatic is hat i like from him

Polocash7
06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
only so called "fans " say bullshit like that. Real heads know where Nas stands. I willing to bet that 99% of heads who say Nas fell off after Illmatic don't own any of his albums

Hayabusa
06-09-2005, 12:48 PM
You right Polocrash. Event though lately he could be better. But he didn't fall off after Illmatic.

Polocash7
06-09-2005, 01:35 PM
You right Polocrash. Event though lately he could be better. But he didn't fall off after Illmatic. Co signs

staycreepin_n_silence
06-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Well I like everyting but I am I am agree with everyting else Street diciple should have been one album but it's still hot to me and god son should be better. The truth is I dont want nas to diss 50 to give 50 that satisfaction of having nas acknowledge him again. Just let 50 do what he do eventually he will diss the wrong rapper and get his ass sonned

T.H.O.M.A.S. Man
06-09-2005, 03:43 PM
only so called "fans " say bullshit like that. Real heads know where Nas stands. I willing to bet that 99% of heads who say Nas fell off after Illmatic don't own any of his albums
true, ive heard people shit on everything after illmatic who have never heard anything else, or even own illmatic. one of the resons iveheard for not liking illmatic is that beats suck. that shit gets me heated, not only are the beats hot but you have to understand that the style of hip-hop, including the beats, has changed since ten years ago(for thhe betteror for the worse? your call). now people think shit like still tippin is hot.

(and before someone says it, yes i am only 15 (16 in 13 days) and no, i didnt really listen to hip-hop when i was 5. ive done my fair share of digging though..)

Prolifical ENG
06-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Of course when many people speak of classic hip-hop albums, I see they are often compared to Illmatic...the short 10 track album yet they are all solid.

It is easy to compare good albums to timeless classic ones and say an artist fell off. This is especially true when their best album is the debut album, which there are many mentionable artists in that category where their first album is debated their best.

Do you really think Raekwon will make a better solo than OB4CL? It is possible but not likely. But still, his future releases will be compared to it. And if it doesnt measure up the critics are quick to judge that a particular artist has "fallen off".

POst illmatic albums do not measure up to illmatic, however they are good and will say Nas hasnt fallen off. I liked Streets Disciple...but have seen many threads on many boards that are hating on it and saying Nas "fell off".

Gully
06-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Nas hasn't Fallen Off...

Hayabusa
06-09-2005, 04:21 PM
For all those who hate on the beats from Illmatic tell em to cope the 10th anniversary edition beats on it is new and straight fire.

Smif-N-Wessun
06-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Nas always got that fire but he doesn't know what a ill beat is

gi0vanni
06-09-2005, 05:36 PM
"new york state of mind pt II" is absolutely incredible.

nas has said he won't respond to fifty.

T.H.O.M.A.S. Man
06-09-2005, 07:37 PM
hmm, im kinda disappointed but in a way that's good.

was this real?"{Verse 1}
Affirmitive action verball attack word assassin
murda tactics burn a track back to Curtis Jackson
pac would turn in his casket, but you maken me laugh
to see you get in the game from all the ****s you take in the ass
while you fake on a track and act like you a gangsta in rap
theirs real street *****s who could break you in half
but since 'em signed you, you run around and claim you can rap
like 'em just paved you a path or ****in gave you a pass
a fee bee to make up for every slave that he had
or every racist comment that he made in the past
I done herd you say a million times that you killed a guy
but Black Child stabbed you and that ***** still alive
you aint even bruised no one, you have the dirty cops
do your dirty work you aint even had to use yo gun
you real hard in the studio poppin **** in a mic booth
you dont wanna have me fight you you wanna have me write you
talkin bout "Nas my son wants to be just like you"
well if you ask the street *****s eminem over hyped you
each bullet in yo ass is a symbol in its place
to remind you how hated you are when you see that dimple on yo face
just give up ***** you've taken enough
when you got all the people involved sayin you suck
and half the **** you say you just maken it up
so now your own crew members haten yo guts
***** why da **** you think yo whole crew is top charters?
cause your all pop artists your hip hop's garbadge
why the **** you think you maken the same money as Britney makes?
g-unit is a boy band ***** and 50's fake
you real tuff till g-unit gets gobbed with sticky tape
and have my *****s run up in and robb yo piggy bank

{Hook x2}
So what you gonna do when **** hits the fan
you gonna fight like a man or just kiss my ass
or threw all this hostility you piss your pants
I'm a short fuse and you lit the match

{Bridge x2}
Nas, a braveheart veteran
name an mc I aint better then
you against me you could never win
meet me in the streets we can settle this

{Verse 2}
When I'm speakin threw rap, you *****s deepin my wrath
**** mixed with emotions makes it hard to keep it on wax
cause it can steer off a track and coserveer off of rap
and have *****s jump you till your left breathin with gasps
and each have you stabbed and all of my people in masks
so you cant identify to the police who attacked
just *****s reachin for straps and heaters bringen out gats
and watch this thug turn ***** when he pees in his pants
*****s callin my name, I can turn '50 cents' into a 'Buck'
invest it in the 'Bank' and spend it all in the 'Game'
a ball and a chain with an anchor tied to your ankel
and hang you until you dangel and break you apart from each angle
and repeatededly kill you with my freedom of speech
so you can look at my lyrics and read 'em and weap
so you don't run with cops? ***** niether do we
but your right hand man is the cheif of police
beef in rap cause you aint got the balls to beef in the streets
cause you'd get another lil cute dimple on your cheek with the heat
yeah I got my wifey tattoo'd on my arm
while you got a "Nas' biggest fan" sign glued to your thong
while you shake yo lil ass for them record exects
and blow kisses and suck up so they'll send you a check
but never the less I knew about you steppin to X
but interscope made you take it off the track to settle your debts
to calm your beefs, you ***** made put a switch blade threw your rib cage
and watch your chest leak in the street like bootleg mixtapes
aint no need to dictate, line up your calvulry
you talk that gangsta **** and get it twisted with reality
ayo my pistol got the flue and my bullets got allergies
so if the trigga sneeze you gone be anotha casualty"

Luda848
06-09-2005, 07:38 PM
i personally think all of his discography is decent - dope...

Hayabusa
06-09-2005, 08:06 PM
hmm, im kinda disappointed but in a way that's good.

was this real? I doubt it, The song to those lyrics would of been leaked I think those lyrics like 2 months old.

T.H.O.M.A.S. Man
06-09-2005, 08:24 PM
yea, isaw them right after piggy bank. they're kinda nice though... i saw on allhiphop.com that nas is ready to drop his comeback though

dns
06-09-2005, 08:27 PM
IWW (along with Ironman) was the first rap album/cd's I bought. You could imagine, how a twelve-years old girl was blown away. This music I was experience (from actually purchasing a cd from a record store, and no longer recording songs from the radio-when they were once good) was mind-blowing. I was always a BCC and Wu girl, but to be honest I gravitated more to Nas. I never forget the first time hearing Black Girl Lost and I Gave You Power and repeating them over and over. I could not believe someone other than Wu and BCC was rhyming in that fashion, with an immaculate/meaningful presence on the mic. I happen to love Escobar, even though Nasty Nas was what gave you Illmatic. Everything to followed Nas after that I love. Anybody else puts out Nastradamus, its a great album, but for Nas that is one of his weakest links. The Hyrdro drop skit, and Nastradamus single killed any potential classic status on that album. It's a shame not many appreciated Street's Disciple (second best double-album next to Forever). I could care less. The rest of those mindless fucks that buys that G-unot/Crunk lost.

TUCO
06-09-2005, 08:45 PM
yada yada yada
stop being such spoiled brats and enjoy his shit
Illmatic was a classic, no doubt there....but damn! why hate on It was Written and Stillmatic??
even Streets Disciple was a banger! 2 cds filled with classic Nas shit....Gods Son was the one i disliked the most besides Nastrodamus
enjoy the man yo....stop bashing him

peace

dns
06-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Nas always got that fire but he doesn't know what a ill beat isI think his production suits him well. And he's also fire on his own beats:Sucicide Bounce and Get Down.

T.H.O.M.A.S. Man
06-09-2005, 11:15 PM
that's right, i forgot he produced a few tracks of his own. there are songs i like on street disciple but i would rather it have been 1 cd with all the songs i like. it was writte=hot. god's son=fairly hot, not feeling some tracks, i am=hot, nastradamus=be serious nas.. (come get me is ill though), etc....

EDIT: lost tapes= fire

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
06-11-2005, 06:35 PM
yo to be honest i thin street's disciple is da shit yeah there were some shitty songs on there like the slow ones but overall it was pretty good at least 4.5 mics and God son is my fuckin album right there everything Stillmatic, Iam..,It was written are all great fuckin albums but illmatic is his best work to date most jay-z fans won't even admitt it

AK510
06-11-2005, 07:52 PM
stillmatic definately had some good songs, one of my favolrite songs ever was off of stillmatic, 'you're da man'

Liquidswordsman
06-12-2005, 06:44 PM
"new york state of mind pt II" is absolutely incredible.

nas has said he won't respond to fifty.
NYSM II blew me the fuck away. When i bought that cd a saw he made another verson i went nuts. An album i never here people talk about of his is "the death of Escobar". He redid 'take it in blood' (that last verse in the orginal is one of his best) and it sounded great. The man will never fall off; and just like Jordan wanted to play baseball; Nas wants to make the music he makes and they are both the Kings of the game. so just take it for what it is worth

CeeDub204
06-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Nas lyrically is always a beast, he always brings it. But the production after illmatic has been struggling. The Jordan comparision is good, but I would relate it to when he went to the Wizards. Even a key player has to surround himself with at least someone decent. I guess it goes with they saying your only as strong as your weakest link. Nas didnt fall off, but he has fallen completely away from the classic bangers by Premier making a lot of his songs/albums unlistenable.

Analyze
06-14-2005, 11:54 AM
To me all that niggas joints was hot except Nastradums. God Son caught a lot of niggas of balance but I still think it was NAS thought he just came at niggas from a different perspective. Streets D' shouldve been a single disc but it was still hot. I thought he was coming with the Lost Tape 2

Wu Forever