PDA

View Full Version : hip hop and rap

energizer
05-21-2006, 12:37 PM
do you believe that hip hop and rap are the same thing if not what are the differences, drop your comments

i know many people have their opinions about this and it would be nice to see them

TUCO
05-21-2006, 01:30 PM
hiphop is the surrounding culture and way of life
rap is MC'ing...one of the four sides to the coin

cap
05-21-2006, 01:33 PM
rap is something u do,hip hop is something u live - krs one

rap is mc'ing,rhyming,spitting,flowin'

hip hop is rapping,beatboxing,graffiti,breakdance

-Gambino-
05-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Yea. Tuco is right.
Hiphop is culture and lifestyle.
Rap is one element of hiphop.

INF
05-21-2006, 02:04 PM
yeah, I ran into this arrgument last summer with a producer that I was trying to get workin with me. He told me that hip-hop was watered down rap such as will smith and I tried to set him straight. I'm in tha south so I didnt try too hard cuz this cat was stuck in his way. Needless to say, he was bumped off the wish list at that point and I wrote a track against him and set him straight there. I still might press it but it will be years after I'm established. Rap is something that you do within hip-hop, to me. Ya'll are comin right with it though. This shit is 3-d it can't be reduced to singular terms.

One.

oDoUoSoKo
05-21-2006, 02:07 PM
"rap is something u do, hip hop is something u live!"

cap
05-21-2006, 02:10 PM
"rap is something u do, hip hop is something u live!"

i already said that.

oDoUoSoKo
05-21-2006, 02:17 PM
didnt see it...sry

energizer
05-21-2006, 02:20 PM
im talkin in terms of if someone is saying are you listening to hip hop music or rap music do you see it as the same thing then

Funk_Dock
05-21-2006, 02:33 PM
im talkin in terms of if someone is saying are you listening to hip hop music or rap music do you see it as the same thing then

well i guess you could say u listen to hip hop music, since hip hops music is rap. still tho the music itself is rap

caps first post explains it well

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
05-21-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't where b-boy gear or talk hip hop

so you could say i am just a rap fan

but i feel all the other elements

venex
05-21-2006, 02:58 PM
rap is something u do,hip hop is something u live - krs one

rap is mc'ing,rhyming,spitting,flowin'

hip hop is rapping,beatboxing,graffiti,breakdance

co-sign

Koolish
05-21-2006, 03:01 PM
musically, you could say Hiphop is the music that sticks true to pure mc'ing. KRS-ONE would be Hiphop, and Nelly would not. but it doesn't have to be strictly rhyming about your skills, just so long as it isn't "mainstream" i guess.

snapple
05-21-2006, 09:00 PM
backpackers and their silly labels

TAURO
05-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Alot of people view rap as people like 50 cent, nelly etc.. and hip hop being well you all know, true mc's and I myself is guilty of using the terms in this way to separate the good from the wack, but truly it is all hip hop regardless of wheather we like a particular artist or not.

Prolifical ENG
05-21-2006, 10:19 PM

I wouldnt spend the energy to argue. If you know what they are referring to it shouldnt matter.

THE W
05-21-2006, 10:59 PM
hiphop is the surrounding culture and way of life
rap is MC'ing...one of the four sides to the coin
asked and answered :thumbup:

ShaDynasty
05-22-2006, 06:12 PM
hip hop music is rap music
rap music is a part of hip hop culture, hence rap music also being called "Hip-Hop"
its really that simple

MaShPG
05-22-2006, 06:31 PM
backpackers and their silly labels

YESSIR!

call it whatever the fuck you want, i'm still listening to and living it.

Ghost In The 'Lac
05-22-2006, 08:27 PM
the hip hop culture is shrinking, while rap is growing. Hip Hop used to be everything not just grafiti/breakin/DJing but also clothes, attitude, lifestyle, haircut, mind state, partys the whole shit but once it blew now the whole form of it is dissapearing. Thats what these new young fans to it dont realise, it never used to be just about a song that happens to be in fashion right now, or which artist got shot most times, or which artist selling the most units. I'm talking back in the day when HipHop was DJ's who had the illest breaks and inventing the newest scratches and who had the freshest dress sense and all that old shit.

So I guess to call what we have now "Hip-Hop" aint right. It still there just about but most of It aint really Hip Hop no more, its just more like a movie.