PDA

View Full Version : Do you really know yourself?

Machete
05-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Or do others serve as a mirror.

If you were the only human on this planet. Would you know who you are? What you stand for? What would you measure yourself to.

I am interested in specific responses.

denaturat
05-23-2006, 11:24 PM
I don't think that people are autonomous from their environment. it defines them and people in turn define their environement. I like your question, an astute observation: def rep.

HonWisNum
05-23-2006, 11:41 PM
If it is true that Change is Constant, then we will really never know our absolute self until we die. Then depending on what you believe of an afterlife there would still be change....

froth
05-23-2006, 11:45 PM
if i was the only person i could only begin to have a concept of life by watching the death of other creatures, plant or animal, and from this some idea might come

denaturat
05-23-2006, 11:48 PM
if i was the only person i could only begin to have a concept of life by watching the death of other creatures, plant or animal, and from this some idea might come

true, if you then encountered other people your concept of self would change

WTF?
05-24-2006, 12:23 AM
I think you know yourself better then other people.

Alcryt
05-24-2006, 11:10 AM
If i dont know myself then no one does, but i would say a few people know me but obviously not as much as i know me and i think i know me pretty well ya know?8O

Tangaz
05-24-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't think we ever will during our 80-odd year lifespans. And I'm sure many people would be amazed by what the don't know about themselves that is obvious to others in their sphere.

iniquity
05-24-2006, 02:15 PM
The best way to find yourself is to live without electricity for a while ..

Kong
05-24-2006, 05:34 PM
if somone was alone on earth i think it would be easier.

Machete
05-26-2006, 07:46 PM
I think you know yourself better then other people.
Sucks you were banned because now I can't read a reply. But this statement is a paradox. You think I know myself? How's that.

Urban_Journalz
06-01-2006, 09:29 PM
I have a pretty good idea of who I am, still, in observing the rest of the human race, I see sides of myself that I've either tried to hide, never knew existed, or else haven't experienced yet. I think who you are is not only defined by what you do, but how you affect others around you. An old Samurai proverb goes, "If you have no solid example to follow, you must create one." Now, wether these examples are real, or imagined, the traits of these characters are what makes you like or dislike them. It's not really a bad thing to be influenced by others, as long as that influence is positive.

If I were the only person on Earth, I highly doubt I'd know myself because there would be no others of my kind to compare or even identify myself with. You could say I'd be a walking "question to myself" in a way.

Strange Fruit
06-02-2006, 05:53 AM
self actualisation is a long process,,, i've taken a few steos, but i dont know myself well enough to describe to you.
what i do know is,

i am what i see in the poeple i surround myself with.

Prince Rai
06-02-2006, 05:57 AM
what i do know is,

i am what i see in the poeple i surround myself with.

def a huge part of the ultimate answer to the main question.

mate2006
06-02-2006, 08:11 AM
i am aware roughly of my potential and talents. I know that i am not at my peak physically or mentally and i know that to be able to fully able to apply my talents and create a legacy of work and produce i have to reach mental and physical sharpness. I intend to do this by practicing kung fu, meditation and reading a lot of books, and also preserving as much of my free time as possible by working part-instead of full time. I also know that to acheive this mental sharpness I wil also have to use my willpower to remove myself from nocive practices, such as consumerism, whether it be vanity consumerism or consumerism of foodstuffs (drinking cocacola, buying bullshit sweets, choc bars etc). I believe in a materialistically meagre existence being led to faciliate true understanding of yourself, others and the world we live in. I also feel that the consumption of any sort of drug has to be ceased to truly acheive self-knowledge, because substances change your perception for the moment, and perception needs to remain constant to truly learn about yourself and the world around you. I do feel that friends act as mirrors in a big way. when i feel down and start to doubt myself, being around friends always inspires me and tells me stuff about myself, simply through conversing with them. Encouragement/props gives me the biggest boost in confidence/drive/self belief

WhoWorksHereBanFans
06-02-2006, 09:28 AM
I don't accept rules or I have problems with rules sometimes. Especially if they make no sense or under force in case you didn't notice. I just do what I want then. I have that since kindergarden so you don't have to tell me anything.. Some teachers quit their jobs because of me. I been to 7 or 8 schools maybe because I got kicked out of a few not only class no the whole school not that I'm proud of that but I have diplomas so. I have been to the police station too 3 days one time or 4. And to court for things.. Other things I never went to jail and I don't have a record.

Kong
06-02-2006, 10:38 AM
If I were the only person on Earth, I highly doubt I'd know myself because there would be no others of my kind to compare or even identify myself with. You could say I'd be a walking "question to myself" in a way.

Having people to compare and identify with.
You not think that could maybe take you further away from your true self?

JackOfHearts
06-02-2006, 02:47 PM
we do kno hu we are because we are how we act and what we do. and yeh we can get influenced by others and people do serve as a mirror to an extent, but when push comes to shove we are who we are by how we act.....