PDA

View Full Version : JAY-Z and DEF JAM.....not that great so far...

tical2000
06-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Yo, when I first heard that Jay-Z was going to be in charge of DEF JAM.....I thought they would start putting out good albums again. However, since Jigga has been boss he has released wack ass albums by MEMPHIS BLEEK, and YOUNG GUNS (the dudes in the puppie video a couple years back)...........now I hear the next DEF JAM release is FOXY BROWN???.......does anone give a shit about FOXY BROWN???

.....seems like he is more concerned with putting out albums from his friends than actually signing and releasing albums by talented artists............like he can put out another fuckin MEMPHIS BLEEK album and we still cannot get ODB or MOP's new album out????

Gully
06-09-2005, 12:00 AM
He's Putting out Budden and Redman...

G.O.D.FA.T.H.A.
06-09-2005, 12:03 AM
And he is also putting out this guy named Fifty Cent. I have never heard of him before. Have you guys ever heard of him before?:D

AK Spray
06-09-2005, 02:09 AM
Yo, when I first heard that Jay-Z was going to be in charge of DEF JAM.....I thought they would start putting out good albums again. However, since Jigga has been boss he has released wack ass albums by MEMPHIS BLEEK, and YOUNG GUNS (the dudes in the puppie video a couple years back)...........now I hear the next DEF JAM release is FOXY BROWN???.......does anone give a shit about FOXY BROWN???

.....seems like he is more concerned with putting out albums from his friends than actually signing and releasing albums by talented artists............like he can put out another fuckin MEMPHIS BLEEK album and we still cannot get ODB or MOP's new album out????

UR bein an idiot... Young Gunz got skills... So does Memph... ANd also.. what the fuck is he s'posed to do... say to them, "Sorry, even tho ur on my label, and we have a contract signed... I'm not gonna release your album.... Cuz a few ig'nant muhfuckas don't like your shit...." I mean, c'mon... It's sum good asss news for Ghost also.. cuz Jay is a Ghost fan... and he said that they were gonna be workin together to make this next shit big.

tical2000
06-09-2005, 02:34 AM
UR bein an idiot... Young Gunz got skills... So does Memph... ANd also.. what the fuck is he s'posed to do... say to them, "Sorry, even tho ur on my label, and we have a contract signed... I'm not gonna release your album.... Cuz a few ig'nant muhfuckas don't like your shit...." I mean, c'mon... It's sum good asss news for Ghost also.. cuz Jay is a Ghost fan... and he said that they were gonna be workin together to make this next shit big.
Okay bro......as far as YOUNG GUNZ having skills.....are they not the same dudes cuddeling up to puppies in that wack ass video a couple years back? (to hbe honest I never gave them a listen after seeing that gay shit).......and MEMPHIS BLEEK, the dude who has released the same mediocre album 4 times in a row

.....all I am saying is that, why not release albums by ODB, MOP, REDMAN, etc........all these albums have been put on hold.......but instead the focus is on releasing some 3rd string rappers who aint that great.....

AK Spray
06-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Okay bro......as far as YOUNG GUNZ having skills.....are they not the same dudes cuddeling up to puppies in that wack ass video a couple years back? (to hbe honest I never gave them a listen after seeing that gay shit).......and MEMPHIS BLEEK, the dude who has released the same mediocre album 4 times in a row

.....all I am saying is that, why not release albums by ODB, MOP, REDMAN, etc........all these albums have been put on hold.......but instead the focus is on releasing some 3rd string rappers who aint that great.....

I sort of understand what ur sayin at the begginin of that, but ur still bein close-minded about 'em....

BUT.. ODB's album is no longer under Jay's control.. that's Dame's area... M.O.P. are no longer on DJ or the ROC.. they are on Gay-Unit... and.... I dunno shit about Redman.. I know he's been workin on those Gillahouse FAm Mixtapes er whatevers tho.

Rebel_INS
06-09-2005, 04:18 AM

LMAO! I dont like Young Gunz or Bleek as much not that great 2 me

Sherz
06-09-2005, 04:46 AM
Am having a hard time tryin to figure the connection between heaving skills and cuddeling puppy's in vids, I mean do you have more skills if your shooting somebody. And how do you know about their skills if you never listening to them? Geezzzz..

MOP didn't wanna mess with Jay & Red album coming out later this year. Jay not releasing Memph is like 50 not singing on his records, impossible, but I agree that Memph's album was garbage. As of now, am lost all faith in dude, all of it. YG's ain't that bad tho, if you can listen to them without prejugdments you mind find yourself diggin them.. a bit. Am not a fan of them niggaz, but I do find their music to be enjoyable from time to time/

As far as The Carter Administration, give him at least a year or so. Kanye is gonna doing sum serious damage that's for certian. But I do believe that Jay needs to do more on his marketing managment, he may put his faith in Ghost, put if the marketing machine fails the product, then you know its chart longetivity gonna sink faster than the titanic.

PolitiC
06-09-2005, 05:10 AM
we dunno if odb is under dames control there has been sum heavy rumors saying def jam font drop odb.....and as far as red goes the muthafuckas delayed that shit again it was supposed 2 come out this summer but it wont....n some1 said sumptin about the mixtapes well u can drop mixtapes without ur label sayin shit 2 that....n mop didnt go 2 g-u-not records after all according to dame dash....n u heard the dmx???they made him do the album altough he didnt wanna cuz he hated the label like every1 else.....n i tell u its the worst music ive ever heard from x

LikwidSwordz
06-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Look......Bleek, Young Gunz, blah blah blah they are all GOOD rappers.....but i mean compare them to Immortal Technique, or Rakim, or Gza, or Ghostface, or Nas, etc....they SUCK ASS. So thats why everyone is like "they suck" why waste your time listening to whack ass rappers when you got so many other better ones.

pablobaluba
06-09-2005, 11:44 AM
jay z sucks

SHAOLIN GENERAL
06-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Guys, don't forget it takes years to make an album sometimes. How many years has Jay-Z been Prez? 1? not even? Chill give the man some time. He goin to do his thing there.

TUCO
06-16-2005, 08:38 PM
um HELLO
did it ever occur to you that maybe just MAYBE Redman aint finished with an album???
and MAYBE Foxy and Memph are done and will be released?
god damn ur one ignorant fuck, lol
so if the ODB album only had 3 tracks done and the Young Gunz album was done....u'd want ODB's shit released first?
get tha fuck outta here
and for the YG bein with puppies or watever....so what? that means they rappin bout puppies? DAMN!
and Memph Bleek had a couple sad albums, true....but i bet u didnt even listen to 534
shit is way better than any of his work!
stop being ignorant....its ppl like u that killin' hip-hop

peace

Queen Bee
06-16-2005, 08:41 PM
I care about Foxy's album!

tical2000
06-16-2005, 08:43 PM
um HELLO
did it ever occur to you that maybe just MAYBE Redman aint finished with an album???
and MAYBE Foxy and Memph are done and will be released?
god damn ur one ignorant fuck, lol
so if the ODB album only had 3 tracks done and the Young Gunz album was done....u'd want ODB's shit released first?
get tha fuck outta here
and for the YG bein with puppies or watever....so what? that means they rappin bout puppies? DAMN!
and Memph Bleek had a couple sad albums, true....but i bet u didnt even listen to 534
shit is way better than any of his work!
stop being ignorant....its ppl like u that killin' hip-hop

peacedude, you sound like a douchebag.....but I will answer some of the stuff you said

...the ODB album has been done for months and has been sitting on the shelf

....REDMAN has been fighting with DEF JAM to put out a record for over a year

......YOUNG GUNZ rap about there "gangsta", next moment they are in a video cuddeling up to puppies and lookin cute!....THIS IS THE SORT OF SHIT THAT IS KILLING HIP HOP!!! DUDES TRYING TO ACT GANGSTA THEN ARE ON THE BUBBLEGUM SHIT!

....so what MEMOPH BLEEK put out an album alittle better than the very mediocre albums he dropped before.....who cares

I dont think I was being ignorant, in stating what I said in this thread cause it is all the truth

TUCO
06-16-2005, 08:47 PM
u are ignorant
u act as if Jigga is helpin out his buddies
hello! Rocafella is part of Def Jam and who happens to be president?? hmmmm
so i guess Lyor Choen was puttin out ROC albums cause he was pals with em
thats ignorant yo

as for the ODB thing.....read closely...it was a hypothetical statement

peace

tical2000
06-16-2005, 08:54 PM
u are ignorant
u act as if Jigga is helpin out his buddies
hello! Rocafella is part of Def Jam and who happens to be president?? hmmmm
so i guess Lyor Choen was puttin out ROC albums cause he was pals with em
thats ignorant yo

as for the ODB thing.....read closely...it was a hypothetical statement

peaceDon't you think it is funny how the first two releases under JAY-Z as president of DEF JAM have been MEMP BLEEk and YOUNG GUNZ two 3rd string acts that he is close too.....now I hear FOXY BROWN's album will be next, who he is close too

....all this, when acts like more legendary acts like REDMAN, ODB, MOP (these were all supposed to be out last christmas).....keep sitting on the bench.

I was stoked when JAY-Z took over DEF JAM.....but he really has not done anything that has got me excited yet...hopefully that will change......like signing FOXY BROWN, big deal.........now I hear he wants to sign some Reggaton artist, who cares..

....it would be cool if he signed some dope artists

Da Ryda
06-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Honestly... I kinda agree with tical2000... Foxy is so garbage and they publicize that shit like it's a great signing. And Memphis Bleek will never be big... maybe in a parallel universe, yes. And I'm yet to be impressed by Young Gunz...

Jay should sign people like Pharoahe Monch, Last Emperor, Mobb Deep who are in between contracts and who can sell if marketed correctly. And who to do it better than biggest label in hip hop? (PS: Damn... I miss Loud Records)

trinking
06-16-2005, 11:26 PM
yo man he's just pushin everybody elses shit out the door so he can lay the ground for ghost and meths new shit :mmmyah: |(

J-DON
06-17-2005, 02:57 AM
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PUPPIES!?

has it even been 5 months since jay became prez?

Bone Collecta
06-17-2005, 03:56 AM
he doesnt know how to promote thats the prob him and LA Reid will fail only a couple of his albums will sell on that roster and 1 is kanye

nrw killa bee
06-17-2005, 09:35 AM
:i maybe if Jay contaced Baby or Master P on how to get the good business shit!

TUCO
06-17-2005, 09:46 AM
aint u ever gonna see Pharoe or Last Emporor on a label like DefJam so stop with all this stupid wishful thinking....Foxy aint garbage! wats wrong with her? except shes the best mainstream female MC (yea yea i know i know....but Jean Grae's underground) just fails to put good LP's out....dont deny that she has some skills yo
dont blame Jigga.....he's still new to the job and just putting out shit thats done and ready to be released
ODB isnt under his control so dont bitch about that
wat yall should be pointing fingers at is P. Diddy yo
the man once had Black Rob, G-Dep, 112, and the LOX and always sided with weaker acts such as Da Band, Dream (u know...that whote girl group, lol), himself, Ma$e.....and now u see him with Bad Boy South, lol
Boyz N Da Hood???? dam that shit sounds weaker than T.I.'s last album yo

peace

TrueDciple
06-17-2005, 10:06 AM
what up peeps this is my first reply since the web crash, however i just wanned to say that im not really feeling those new def jam joints but i dont blame jay z for it, i respect the dude but yo foxy brown voice is just anoying, she sounds like a man and thats akward. about the young guns i never liked'em and memphis weak is wack. thats a wrap!

peace!

Da Ryda
06-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Foxy is really really wack... When was the last time she said anything worth... well, anything? Lil' Kim is wack too but at least she's got better flow than Foxy and she can run on tracks... in her own little way.

"Bad little sista; not bad meaning bad but
bad meaning good, damn I'm so hood" (Candy)

^^^you've got to be kidding me, right?

AK Spray
06-17-2005, 01:19 PM
ARE THEY NOT ON THE LABEL? Did they not SIGN a Contract??? There shit is priority too...

tical2000
06-17-2005, 02:43 PM
aint u ever gonna see Pharoe or Last Emporor on a label like DefJam so stop with all this stupid wishful thinking....Foxy aint garbage! wats wrong with her? except shes the best mainstream female MC (yea yea i know i know....but Jean Grae's underground) just fails to put good LP's out....dont deny that she has some skills yo
dont blame Jigga.....he's still new to the job and just putting out shit thats done and ready to be released
ODB isnt under his control so dont bitch about that
wat yall should be pointing fingers at is P. Diddy yo
the man once had Black Rob, G-Dep, 112, and the LOX and always sided with weaker acts such as Da Band, Dream (u know...that whote girl group, lol), himself, Ma$e.....and now u see him with Bad Boy South, lol
Boyz N Da Hood???? dam that shit sounds weaker than T.I.'s last album yo

peace
Dude thats so true about PUFF DADDY......haha

.......like the dude would rather put out an album by DA BAND and some other manufactured group than put out real hip hop albums anymore..........I guess it makes a quick $$$

I dont think PUFF gives a shit about putting out actual hip hop anymore......he is more into SEAN JOHN and shit.......like if you take away BIGGIE, Puffy really has not put out anything other great HIP HOP artists (not including Craig Mack who Puff dropped).........PUFF is just all about putting out disposable pop-hop that turns over a quick buck..........like I am almost positive that nobody from DA BAND will ever put out an album, and PUFF knows this, he just used them to make a quick buck off 13 year old TRL girls

Bone Collecta
06-17-2005, 10:07 PM
lol fuck Foxy she has ghost writers and urban legend wasnt whack

Tres.Bo.
06-17-2005, 11:28 PM
wtf?

jay isnt releasing fifty, which ignorant little bitch told you that

Polocash7
06-18-2005, 02:03 AM
I'm gonna give Jay a chance. We all know what kind of business man he is. He might do Def Jam some good

ThePharaohNosferatu
06-18-2005, 02:15 AM
My 0.2 cents.

Jay-z as president of Def Jam isnt good, cause the man, as i see it, isnt Promoting these albums as much as Def Jam pormoted there artsit before Jay came in.

I dont see much commercials, much streetteams, much banners on sites.

i feel this man needs to start seeing this, hes prolly to busy with his crappy shoe bizz s.carter, or with the clothin line Roc a wear, maybe his mind is on other things instead on tellin those in charge of promoting to DO MORE PROMOS!!!!!!

i dont have nothin to say about foxy nor Young Gunz, they cool, but memph, is a joke.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
06-19-2005, 12:25 PM
ok here is my wooden nickel....
from a grown man's point of view(mind you eye was around when Def Jam released it's first 12 inch and ceen the rise and fall of the company)

Jay-Z as president: It is too early to tell what is gonna happen he needs at least a year to get things organized eye belive he will do fine cause he is/was an artist and while some of y'all might not realize is he is a hustler so that mindstate is in effect so once trhings are in proper order he will be on point

Foxy Brown: Eye do not care what anyone says she has heat and since she started gravitating back to her roots(That Brooklyn/Jamacian Flow) she has been iiight her latest under the radar heat"Art Of War" is fire.

Young Gunz: Eye live in Philly and eye hear they shit all the time eye think they are garbage period. Beans needs to reconstruct State Property and get rid of some dead weight. Young Gunz are not that good at all

Memphis Bleek: Eye like him he has shined on a few joints that are classics in my book("It's Alright", "Is That Your Chick", "Parkin Lot Pimpin" etc...) but he is still one hit away and he just does not have a good taste in the beats he chooses....

As Far As Signing Underground Groups: Well eye will not say it won't happen cause Jay-Z surprised me by choosing 9th Wonder for the Black Lp and we all know he is a fan of Common and Talib so who knows.

Def Jam needed some younger blood and Jay-Z was a good choice BUT, eye do not like how he did Dame and Biggs in this deal, from a streets ponit of veiw he did them dirty, but hey who knows why it was done and we are not that close to those men to really know. Hopefully Jay-Z can bring back the pride of Def Jam that would be real nice.

this PSA was brought to you by:
The "We Still Love H.E.R." Foundation

ThePharaohNosferatu
06-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Ya heard anything from that boi he signed, AZTEK?

tical2000
06-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Ya heard anything from that boi he signed, AZTEK?
I heard AZTEK is on some faggot reggaeton shit.......

Bone Collecta
06-19-2005, 04:04 PM
thats pretty biased just cause u dont understand somethin doesnt mean u should bash it fool

tical2000
06-19-2005, 04:12 PM
thats pretty biased just cause u dont understand somethin doesnt mean u should bash it fool
REGGAETON is wack.........I understand it, and the beats and the lyrics are lame

that being said I am huge dancehall reggae fan..........not that DANCEHALL REGGAE and REGAETON are the same by any means......but it shows you where I am coming from

Bone Collecta
06-19-2005, 04:14 PM
u are biased do you know spanish?

ThePharaohNosferatu
06-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Aight here is my 0.2 Cents

Reggaeton is crappy in my eyes, i dont like it, I only like 2 artist Tego Calderon and Don Omar, they have a better rythem and the way they rap, sounds very ReAL.

as for AZTEK i dont think hes a Reggaeton artist cause he from Texas, but he is COlumbian which could be hes into reggaeton, but he had a FREESTYLE with JAY, and i dont think that he could be a reggaeton artist.

hes signed to ROc-La-Familia. he and some other Mexican Boxer dude, but i dont think hes a rapper of any sort hes just sponsored.

Bone Collecta
06-19-2005, 05:41 PM
they do multiple things they not just reggeaton

ThePharaohNosferatu
06-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Heard the freestyle at hiphopgame.com and let me tell ya this man aint that hot, he could have gone to the west and signed some one better

sneakerpimp
07-05-2005, 11:28 AM
you can hear some of his shit here:

www.aztekescobar.com/ (http://www.aztekescobar.com/)