PDA

View Full Version : New to hip-hop.

FatOldSun
06-20-2006, 09:40 AM
I just been discovering hip-hop and am just wondering what are some good artists. I know of Bone Thugs N Harmony, Notorious BIG, Tupac, NWA, Afroman, Big L, Nas, Jurassic 5, KRS-One and of course the all mighty Wu Tang Clan. Who else should I check out?

Edgar Erebus
06-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Rakim, Public Enemy, all members of NWA solo, Eminem's early work (Infinite & Slim Shady EP/LP, aI bet you already heard other), A Tribe Called Quest... ffuuu... there's too many...

graffitiwhat
06-20-2006, 10:03 AM
vakill,Reef The Lost Cauze,Mek-a-Lek,Doujah Raze,Pumpkinhead,Mr. Lif,Akrobatik,Bronze Nazareth,Brand Nubian,Lord Finesse,Large Professor,

Edgar Erebus
06-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Look, he's new, don't bombard him same second with underground. It took to me 2 years to move from Eminem to Wu-Tang, since then I passed many other rappers...

GhettoGnom
06-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Tonedeff, PackFM and CunninLynguists....

BLACKNEFERTITI07
06-20-2006, 10:29 AM
DE LA SOUL, BLACK SHEEP, EPMD,NOTORIOUS B.I.G, 2PAC, NWA, BONETHUGS ~n~HARMONY, P. DIDDY, ERIC B. AD RAKIM, KRS-ONE, JUNGLE BROTHERS, PAUL WALL, MIKE JONES, SLIM THUG, BUN B, E 40,KEEK DA SNEAK,UGK, RICK ROSS PITBULL, DJ KHALED, OUTKAST, BUBBA SPARXXX, BUSTA RHYMES, TOO SHORT, SAN QUINN, YUNG JOC, T.I., LIL JOHN, YOUNGBLOODZ, DAVID BANNER,KANYE WEST, COMMON, MOS DEF, LUPE FIASCO,YOUNG GUNZ,FREEWAY,JAY Z, MEMPHIS BLEEK,NAS, MOBB DEEP, CYPRESS HILL, NELLY, ST. LUNATICS, MURPHY LEE, GOODIE MOB,NUMSKULL,THE FEDERATION,ETC.

THESE ARE JUS A FEW RAP ARTISTS AND GROUPS I LIKE.

dimi
06-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Naughty by Nature Gang Starr Aceyalone Masta Ace Ras Kass ONYX AZ Big Daddy Kane Run DMC Xzibit Redman Immortal Technique Boot Camp Clik(and everybody in it-their solos) Maestro Fresh Wes Classified K-OS Geto Boys Scarface

oDoUoSoKo
06-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Me

Robert
06-20-2006, 10:59 AM
anything produced by dj premier

Orion Nebulus
06-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Holocaust, MF Doom, Little Brother

GhettoGnom
06-20-2006, 11:18 AM
DE LA SOUL, BLACK SHEEP, EPMD,NOTORIOUS B.I.G, 2PAC, NWA, BONETHUGS ~n~HARMONY, P. DIDDY, ERIC B. AD RAKIM, KRS-ONE, JUNGLE BROTHERS, PAUL WALL, MIKE JONES, SLIM THUG, BUN B, E 40,KEEK DA SNEAK,UGK, RICK ROSS PITBULL, DJ KHALED, OUTKAST, BUBBA SPARXXX, BUSTA RHYMES, TOO SHORT, SAN QUINN, YUNG JOC, T.I., LIL JOHN, YOUNGBLOODZ, DAVID BANNER,KANYE WEST, COMMON, MOS DEF, LUPE FIASCO,YOUNG GUNZ,FREEWAY,JAY Z, MEMPHIS BLEEK,NAS, ETC.

wow that was alot of shitty rappers....

Orion Nebulus
06-20-2006, 11:19 AM
^^^She's a chic what do you expect lol.

MaShPG
06-20-2006, 11:26 AM
ones that haven't been mentioned...

Black Star (and Mos Def & Kweli)
One Be Lo
Blackalicious
The Roots
Big Pun
Mobb Deep
Camp Lo
Company Flow
Coup
D'Angelo
Dead Prez...

and that's just the beginning, i'm still finding new artists to listen to and i've been a hip hop fan for a while now. holla at me if ya need guidance, i used to be in your shoes. please for the love of god, do NOT formulate opinions about Hip Hop from wu tang corp.

BLACKNEFERTITI07
06-20-2006, 11:51 AM
wow that was alot of shitty rappers....

WHY DO ALL THE RAPPERS I NAMED HAVE 2 BE SHITTY????? DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CUZ THESE RAPPERS ARE MY FAVORITES AND I HAVE ALL OF THEIR CDS SO FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!

famenchuan
06-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Fat Boys

energizer
06-20-2006, 12:01 PM
why must you type in such large font and why do you take shit so personally SHYHEIMCHICA06

youngdeck01
06-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Mobb Deep(early shit, like The Infamous and Hell on Earth)
Nas(pretty much cant go rong with him)
Jay-Z
Dialated Peoples
7l & Esoteric
Apathy
Jedi Mind Tricks
Papoose
Epik
Saigon
Tragedy Khadafi (also checkout Capone n Norega's War Report, hes on like every track)
Cormega
AZ
Royce Da 5 9 (best album is Death is Certain, M.I.C. mixtape is sick too)

Longbongcilvaringz
06-20-2006, 09:23 PM
apart from stuff mentioned already, here are a few:

- cypress hill (early albums: black sunday and temples of boom)
- jedi mind trick: (first two albums are the best)
- canibus (rip the jacker, mic club, 2000bc are his best works)

also check out some wu affiliates such as:

- the gravediggaz
- killarmy
- sunz of man
- cappadonna ("the pillage" is his best)

have a look at the album reviews to have a look at some classics and other good albums.

TUCO
06-20-2006, 09:59 PM
listen to wat u like...watever it may be
just stay way from em backpackin' devils....they just gonna bore you

MaShPG
06-20-2006, 10:09 PM
You know what I think you should do?....Find some huge alphabetical list of rappers and just listen to all them muthafuckaz A-Z. Don't even leave your house, just lock yourself up and listen to every rapper. Don't go on the internet, because then you'll make judgements on rappers (mainstream especially) based off of their silly classifications. Word...somebody should do that.

Prolifical ENG
06-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Don't go on the internet, because then you'll make judgements on rappers (mainstream especially) based off of their silly classifications. Word...somebody should do that.

Exactly

oh yeah, try to refrain from listening to too much underground...some of it is good but repetitive listening to specific types will make you feel sombre.

eVoL
06-20-2006, 11:41 PM
ras kass..

don't listen to the nerd shit that people are recommending here either, like that lame mf doom/little brother garbage

The Lost Prophet
06-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I just been discovering hip-hop and am just wondering what are some good artists. I know of Bone Thugs N Harmony, Notorious BIG, Tupac, NWA, Afroman, Big L, Nas, Jurassic 5, KRS-One and of course the all mighty Wu Tang Clan. Who else should I check out?

stop looking at what people are meantioning, if u havent noticed everyone has got a different opinion. best thing to do is to go to the HIP-HOP section and download the songs they post (title of the thread is hip-hop mp3 exchange thread) from the first page to the last (well maybe not all of those). what u should also do is go to sites like hiphopgame.com, hiphophavoc.com, and hiphopdx.com and check out the audio sections. cats wont find hip-hop for u, u have to find hip-hop for urself. find what u like not what other people like

KBOS
06-21-2006, 12:05 AM
The gravediggaz

Wu-Tality
06-21-2006, 03:41 AM
Did anyone mention Slick Rick?

oldie
06-21-2006, 04:28 AM
Army Of The Pharoahs / Jedi Mind Tricks, Demigodz & 7l & Esoteric

And

Edan

Dr Zayus
06-21-2006, 05:02 AM
Whatever the fuck you like. Get onto that music yourself, its much better that way. And don't force yourself to like anything specific.

ShaDynasty
06-21-2006, 05:08 AM
WHY DO ALL THE RAPPERS I NAMED HAVE 2 BE SHITTY????? DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CUZ THESE RAPPERS ARE MY FAVORITES AND I HAVE ALL OF THEIR CDS SO FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!
david banner?
lupe fiasco?
i dont think any1s being sexist when they say you got bad taste

GhettoGnom
06-21-2006, 05:20 AM
david banner?
lupe fiasco?
i dont think any1s being sexist when they say you got bad taste

thank you(even though I've liked lupe for a long time now and I love his work)

But seriously, paul wall, david banner, nelly and fucking Lil' Jon(+++)...
THAT SHIT IS WACK!
We want this dude to get more into hip hop, not leave him running away and start listening to emo shit.......

Dr Zayus
06-21-2006, 05:24 AM
But seriously, paul wall, david banner, nelly and fucking Lil' Jon(+++)...
THAT SHIT IS WACK!
We want this dude to get more into hip hop, not leave him running away and start listening to emo shit.......

Lil Jon? EMO? Do you people actually just say "I don't like Lil Jon, and I don't like Emo music... OMG, LIL JON MUST BE EMO!!!!!!!!111"

Atmosphere is emo. Lil Jon is crunk. Get it the fuck right.

Orion Nebulus
06-21-2006, 12:02 PM
ras kass..

don't listen to the nerd shit that people are recommending here either, like that lame mf doom/little brother garbage

Obiviously this dude dont know shit about hiphop.

tacle
06-21-2006, 12:25 PM

Hold that again.

stak84
06-21-2006, 12:46 PM
and dont listen to what the euro kids are telling you,
especially if theyre sixteen year old norwegians recommending
tonedeff, pfffffft disgraceful

tancen
06-21-2006, 12:49 PM
everything by DJ premier and of cours Gangstarr

GhettoGnom
06-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Lil Jon? EMO? Do you people actually just say "I don't like Lil Jon, and I don't like Emo music... OMG, LIL JON MUST BE EMO!!!!!!!!111"

Atmosphere is emo. Lil Jon is crunk. Get it the fuck right.

lol, that's not what I ment... I don't think lil' jon is emo.... Basicly, what I ment was; If someone that just got into hip hop and have gotten into stuff like wu, bone thugs, krs-one etc. they've probly just heard the mainstream shit(like lil'jon) and haven't liked it... Therefore, if these persons asks for more good rap and people start saying Lil' Jon, they'll probly back a bit off and just listen to whatever they listened to before....

and dont listen to what the euro kids are telling you,
especially if theyre sixteen year old norwegians recommending
tonedeff, pfffffft disgraceful

oh noo, you didn't!?!? Tell me that was sarcastic...

stak84
06-21-2006, 01:09 PM
no i was being very serious

energizer
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM

co sign

GhettoGnom
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM

U should go kill yourself than....

venex
06-21-2006, 02:35 PM
^^^co-sign

VernakuLa
06-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Tonedeff for sure

MR SOS

Sirius Jones

PackFM

CunningLynguistics

VernakuLa
06-21-2006, 02:40 PM

fuck yo hyphy ass then

zeppelin2k
06-21-2006, 03:25 PM
read the WU TANG MANUAL by RZA

THEN get all the wu tang albums and wu tang member albums

and vibe for real

then get some mf doom some afu ra, BIG L, first Xzibit album, first and 2nd eminem album

thats a good start

energizer
06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
read the WU TANG MANUAL by RZA

THEN get all the wu tang albums and wu tang member albums

and vibe for real

then get some mf doom some afu ra, BIG L, first Xzibit album, first and 2nd eminem album

thats a good start

hmmm i agree with this pretty much, but maybe get the essential wu tang albums instead of ALL

ShaDynasty
06-21-2006, 03:30 PM
word
fuck a backpacker
you can listen to whatever dull wordy records you like
i like to enjoy my music
word to the third

MaShPG
06-21-2006, 03:38 PM

word...see that's what i was saying, you can not formulate opinions based on what people here are recommending you. most of them are so damn caught up in what's real hip hop and what's not that they'll say lil jon is emo and everybody on the radio sucks. backpackers fam, beware of them. listen to the artists and make up your own mind. peace.

Prolifical ENG
06-21-2006, 04:27 PM
This is a good question....I never met anyone who just "starts off" into hiphop and looking for some direction....perhaps this person really isnt new and is just seening where people would lead off.

Since you started with those artists you mentioned, just branch off from there.

Big L - Listen to D.I.T.C. members

Wu Tang - Listen to Wu fam, Sunz of Man, Killarmy, etc.

NWA - Listen to more west coast and G-Funk....Warren G, etc.

KRS One - Listen to old school....Rakim & Eric B, Slick Rick etc.

It takes a long time to listen to different kinds of hip-hop, different geographical regions and their distinct sound, and what time frame to figure out what you really like.

If you have soulseek, hit me up "Prolifical" and I can show you a well rounded multi layered collection for you to sample.

Dr Zayus
06-21-2006, 06:51 PM
word...see that's what i was saying, you can not formulate opinions based on what people here are recommending you. most of them are so damn caught up in what's real hip hop and what's not that they'll say lil jon is emo and everybody on the radio sucks. backpackers fam, beware of them. listen to the artists and make up your own mind. peace.

well said, yadadadamean

*shakes dreads*
*ghostrides the whip*

GhettoGnom
06-22-2006, 06:08 AM

like I said before: I DIDN'T CALL LIL'JON EMO....
But he is a disgrace to hip hop...

stak84
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
cuz you know

ps your norwegian

stak for the win

GhettoGnom
06-22-2006, 12:35 PM
^^^^ Nice use of arguments..... smh...

Wu-Tang 9
06-24-2006, 12:57 PM
anything produced by dj premier

YES!!!!!

White_Mouse
06-24-2006, 01:02 PM
scribbling idiots-www.scribblingidiots.com
LMNO (leave my name out)
lightheaded
Diverse
Vast Aire

(i'll post more later)*(:)

JackTrippa718JR
06-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Here's the list of the best shit around that you need to check out...

Rhymefest - Blue Collar
MF DOOM - All His Albums
Eminem - All his albums except for Encore
Redman - Muddy Waters, Dare IZ A Darkside & Whut!? Thee Album
Black Moon - Check thier stuff from the early 90's first
Jay-Z - pretty much every album he ever made
Lupe Fiasco - Debut album dropping soon
Little Brother - All thier albums
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
Onyx - BACDAFUCUP
Beanie Sigel - All his albums
Jeru The Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East
Joe Buddens - Every song he ever dropped LP or mixtape
Killer Mike - Monster
Lords Of The Underground - Here Come The Lords
Das Ffx - Dead Serious
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Check their stuff from the early 90's
Slick Rick - The great adventure's of Slick Rick & The Art Of Storytelling
Smif-N-Wesson - Da Shinin'

That list will keep you busy for a while.

Professor Poopsnagle
06-29-2006, 07:27 AM
If i was to introduce Hip Hop to a interested person that rather likes something very different, I think maybe for Rock-listeners I would give them something that has similar elements, like in this case Mos Def-New Danger. But at the same time I would give them Afrika Bambataa (Kraftwerk-Roots), Grandmaster Flash(and show him some original samples), Run DMC, early LL, Juice Crew, Rakim, KRS. Just to give an impression of the origin, maybe some original breaks. Describing how music is made and how it elevated. How different styles emerged, how ppl started having this eastcoast/westcoast-beef, the modern artists he/she might know (50, Jay-Z, Biggie, 2Pac) and their works along with contemporary other rappers.

Maybe not that detailed. I can´t exactly tell, what records I would give that person and say "yo, listen to that shit. true hip hop." that´s silly. y´all name your favourite (old school) albums & artists but I think if you would play them some music (not necessarily the whole song) and comment on it this is the best way to introduce.

So, if you´re new to hip hop: Check the artists you already know, dig into their roots. Wikipedia can help, too. Also a lot of tracks are uploaded in the Hip Hop section. And listen some old shool and if you can watch "Wild Style"(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084904/) and school yourself(sounds shitty I know but at least take a glimpse, you´ll see why) on Breakdancing and Graffitti. I think an overview is important! From there you can go where you want to....."Backpacker", "jiggy", "commercial" ..... all these attributes you won´t need as well as any further recommendations.

Have fun!