PDA

View Full Version : What God Taught me (very long!)

Ultimate Fist
06-28-2006, 12:33 AM
About a month ago, I had a life changing spiritual experience. I had just picked up a book of Sufi stories earlier that week and I was so inspired by them I decided to try salat (the formal prayer) and dhikr (chanting God's praises) My exact practice was this:

*Salat in English
*A short prayer where I asked God for the following: freedom from hatred (I tend to be a political hothead and am confrontational to people who disagree with me), freedom from negative influences (specifically NGE, whose teachings I saw as adverse to my spiritual journey), and the ability to choose the religion of God (I regularly jump from religion to religion; I've been a Christian, a Jew and a Rasta over the years.)
*Dhikr: Chanted "Glory to God", "Praise be to God" and "God is greater" each 33 times.

As I did the ablutions before prayer, for the first time I felt at total peace. Its like the water turned off the outside world so I could talk alone with God.
As I raised my hands and said "God is greater" the seeds of the answer were already planted in me. I realized God controlled my heart and my destiny. However, He never misuses this control for He is greater than human fickle emotions.
The purpose of salat in my mind is this: to restore man's often faltering confidence in God. He is greater, He is compassionate, He is merciful, He does listen to those who pray to Him.
Having surrendered spontaneous prayer was much easier.

As I moved into dhikr though, an interesting thing happened. As I chanted, putting my heart into my words, I felt my body was "fake" It wasn't that it was not real, it was that my soul was something special, beyond my mere physical exsistence. I realized i was blind because my eyes were imperfect, I was deaf because my ears can only hear sounds. it is hard to describe. Our physical bodies are shells. They're us but they're not. Our souls are the only thing that keeps them going. They are machines we control. We aren't even our brains. Our thoughts are not us.

Over the next couple of weeks, I have had similar revelations during prayer. A few are:

*God created all religious paths, even atheism. He did this so we could walk on the path that most fits us and change paths when one is no longer fit for us. In the end, He will judge us. He will judge the path we walked on, but more so He will judge our actions.

*God is constant. Do what you wish but know He'll be waiting for you in the end for judgement.

*Religion is made to help us not enslave us. God is all powerful and doesn't need our pandering. God created religion so we could reconnect with Him for renewal. This was an important teaching because I used to have a neurotic fear of going to Hell.

I am not a muslim in the religious sense. I believe Islam has been perverted by mullahs. But I submit to God. In that sense I am a muslim.

I am less angry now. Everybody has their own path to walk on. Do not get angry at those who walk another; yours may lead to destruction and theirs to eternal life.

I no longer think about race. its like being a kid again before people teach you to do that. Everyone is a child of God's creation Adam and Eve.

I invite you to try it yourself. Do ablutions, salat (Adapt it to your religion if it makes you uncomfortable), say a short prayer for guidance, and dhikr. Maybe God will teach you too.

Visionz
06-28-2006, 01:29 AM
Peace Brother, your outlooks and visions align very closely with my own. I hope you keep posting here as we need more in here who speak with unclouded vision. Too much slander and not enough understanding between differing views. Nice post. peace

Prince Rai
06-28-2006, 03:05 AM
I am not a muslim in the religious sense. I believe Islam has been perverted by mullahs. But I submit to God. In that sense I am a muslim.

Islam is peace and submission to God/Allah, and thus it is a universal way of life.

I read your post and agree with Eric, it was very good and i appreciate the effort you put in to share your thoughts and experiences.

Likewise do I hope you come down here more often.

peace

supremecharma
06-28-2006, 04:22 AM
good4u

SubtleEnergies
06-28-2006, 05:43 AM
I agree with the second one. Religion is a tool for us to use, a guide not somethign to be bound to.

froth
06-29-2006, 01:02 PM
great post, i am glad you experienced a trancendental experience. i would very much like to reccomend a book to you that i think you will find helpful. 'Stillness Speaks' by Eckhart Tolle.

froth
06-29-2006, 01:12 PM
I have to go to work but I would like to share a similar experience i had to yours. I will do this later.

aismani
06-29-2006, 11:30 PM
nice post

diggy
03-25-2009, 10:38 PM
i do not know what i did with my mouse, but i clicked something and saw all these five star rated threads

anyway

ya

i use to to 'wudu' (ablusion - cleansing the hands, face, arms, feet) before prayer

it is a good feeling - of peace, quiet,

prayers -communication to the creator is important and sometimes u see changes instantly

thikr- pronouncing the names of the creator is satisfying to the body and mind