PDA

View Full Version : I Just Don't Understand KRS-One

Tetsuo
07-05-2006, 12:08 AM
I have a lot of respect for the dude as an MC, but I simply can't get into his music. I understand that he was one of the pioneers of conscious rap but his rhymes don't seem particularly cerebral. His flow is kind of awkward and off putting. Plus boom-bap can be pretty irritating. Apart from his music his ego and arrogance are repulsive. Someone please explain this guy to me.

VernakuLa
07-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Hes a better rapper than you^^^

deadlymelody
07-05-2006, 12:29 AM
^
Wow really?

Do I think KRS-One is maybe overrated a little bit? Yes. Do I respect KRS-One? You bet.

Tetsuo
07-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Hes a better rapper than you^^^

Ouch, man...ouch.

J-Cee
07-05-2006, 01:00 AM
yeh i fell the same as you.
I bought one of his albums a while back,i wasnt feeling it at all.

Bedlam
07-05-2006, 01:41 AM
I have a lot of respect for the dude as an MC, but I simply can't get into his music. I understand that he was one of the pioneers of conscious rap but his rhymes don't seem particularly cerebral. His flow is kind of awkward and off putting. Plus boom-bap can be pretty irritating. Apart from his music his ego and arrogance are repulsive. Someone please explain this guy to me.

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE FEELS THE SAME WAY I DO ABOUT KRS

Nothing against him, I just can't stand the guy. I agree exactly with everything you said. When he does the raggae flow, its so annoying. Even Return to the Boom Bap, when he's rappin on some Primo beats, I really coudn't get into it. And I definatly feel you on his ego and arrogance. I think I'd prolly punch him in the face if I had a converation with the guy. He acts like everything he says is the most important thing in the world.

I know "KRS IS HIP HOP" and whatever else yall wanna say, but I just don't like him, plain and simple. I respect him, but that's it.

Razorsharp
07-05-2006, 02:32 AM
wow... u guyz are crazy... KRS-One is the man, his style is different, makes him unique, old school 80's feel, rhymin the same words, but using in different ways... BDP mutha fuckas!!!! THE "P" is STILL FREE :yes:

smokebongoncliff
07-05-2006, 02:46 AM
i love his freestyles

VernakuLa
07-05-2006, 03:42 AM
download Clear em out

wit him and tonedeff and say that he aint good

Ghost In The 'Lac
07-05-2006, 08:34 AM
KRS One IS the greatest rapper ever. Educate yourselfs.

TAURO
07-05-2006, 08:44 AM
DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO LIKE KRS JUST BECAUSE HIP HOP CULTURE SAYS SO BE YOUR OWN PERSON, YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO RESPECT HIM, IN FACT I BET ALOT OF PEOPLE HERE THAT SAY THEY RESPECT HIM BUT DON'T FEEL HIS MUSIC SAY SO SO THAT THEY DON'T LOSE FACE WITH OTHER REAL HIP HOPPERS, FUCK THAT SHIT AND GROW SOME BALLS.

and for the record I like krs cos I actually like his music not because the culture says I should.

Seborth
07-05-2006, 09:28 AM
I feel his Hip-Hop, he's not so hard to understand, his album KRS-One (1995) is damn classic.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
07-05-2006, 10:07 AM
you don't have to like him or his music, but that dosn't change that fact that he is a rap legend with plenty of classics

xHard to Earnx
07-05-2006, 10:57 AM
KRS One IS the greatest rapper ever. Educate yourselfs.

THE IRONY IS DELICIOUS.

And if you can't get down with Criminal Minded, your ears are broken.

Greek Gheynician Anal Tradition
07-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Krs-one is a LEGEND for me but he is WEIRD too.I have heard that he is hatin Greece lol.

Tetsuo
07-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Ha why is he hating on Greece? BTW I love Greece I've been there every summer since I was like seven or eight. In fact Im bout to leave for greece in like a week. I didn't know there were any Wu-heads there.

THE W
07-05-2006, 01:03 PM
i got a chance to listen to the blueprint, criminal minded, i got next, and christyles from KRS and wasnt feelin any of them.

those albums were unable to justify people saying he's one of the greatest lyricists ever. maybe he's 100x better in an actual MC battle even though the dis he made for MC shan and shante was madd weak.

GhostfaceThaPharoahe
07-05-2006, 01:35 PM
i feel the same way as the first poster, i respect him for what he has done in the past, and the trails he has blazed, but i cannot get into his music at all

eVoL
07-05-2006, 01:54 PM
KRS-one is a fuckin yuppie

fuck him

venex
07-05-2006, 02:03 PM
I don't wanna join the majority of people in this thread, but I ain't feelin' him neither

I completely agree with BEDLAM (actually alot of times...:))

one track that is bangin is: "mc's act like they know" (bust mostly for the beat by premo"

and "sound of da police" ----> this IS a hiphopclassic...

but all that stuff from "return of the boombap" and others: NAAAH, I don't feel that

peace!

Da Problem Child
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM

I feel the same way.I try and jam to his music,but it's straight garbage to me.Most of these guys are Old School rap dickryders

Polocash7
07-05-2006, 02:54 PM
KRS-1 is a top 5 MC. However,he needs better production on his LPs. The lyrics are still there.

Da Problem Child
07-05-2006, 02:56 PM
^^ muahahaahahahaa

VernakuLa
07-05-2006, 02:58 PM
^^ muahahaahahahaa

SHUTUPUPTUHS

Edgar Erebus
07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Respect for all y'all, but KRS is simply dope (even though I admit he is believing his own hype a but too much). I get that man, he always has lyrics that are sharp like blade. And he's even in shape to spit them in such way you r having fun while listening to him (I mean his ragga-like flow and shit).

Frank Drebin
07-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Krs is one of the greats he is a legend blah blah blah still dont mean you gotta feel his music. Just like Big Punisher everyone goes on and on how great he was I dont like not one of his songs. He musta been a fucking legend cause everyone talks about him but I dont like his music

ShaDynasty
07-05-2006, 04:45 PM
you fuckin buncha cunts
go listen to some fuckin 3rd rate wu hanger on
seriously yall are idiots i mean theres nothing i can say really, hes dope
sickest battle rhymer ever, politically and socially aware, 4 classic albums with BDP, 2 solo and a lotta dope shit besides that
i cant change your opinions, but i can totally ignore everything you post from now on

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
07-05-2006, 05:31 PM
I feel the same way.I try and jam to his music,but it's straight garbage to me.Most of these guys are Old School rap dickryders

if its old it must be wack!

energizer
07-05-2006, 06:15 PM
if its old it must be wack!

haha nice

Chief 'Broom
07-05-2006, 06:19 PM
I haven't heard anyone that doesn't like his music mention his self-titled album. That is classic. He talks a little funny in documentaries but then again i'm not homosexual, so i don't care - i just like good music. Peep "KRS-One" and then tell me he's wack.

Professor Poopsnagle
07-05-2006, 06:50 PM
is he wu-affiliate?

Da Problem Child
07-05-2006, 06:53 PM
^^^ get off the forum for that bogus question.

The Lost Prophet
07-05-2006, 07:36 PM
compare a krs 80's album to any other artist from that era and it is easily seen that he is well ahead of his time. because my 9mm goes bang. he has more albums then odb has babies and thats alot to say. i feel u dudes who aint feelen him cuz to be homenst he has dropped some sub par albums (i got next wasnt consistant what so ever) but at the same time has classics and his new album "life" is top three albums of 2006

oDoUoSoKo
07-05-2006, 08:01 PM
hey man knowledge does reign supreme...tame it from me

GWP-ONE

oDoUoSoKo
07-05-2006, 08:04 PM
*take^

Da Problem Child
07-05-2006, 08:51 PM
I was never feeling KRs-One for some reason.I don't like Public Enemy also

ThaGoldenChild07
07-05-2006, 09:25 PM
4 real though i feel da same i dont really bump krs 1 i heard something bout him nelly guna beef lol

Chief 'Broom
07-05-2006, 09:37 PM
he gets respect cuz he started something in hip hop - dropping knowledge like that, he was the teacher

that's what it is

Chief 'Broom
07-05-2006, 09:38 PM
i could see why younger people don't pick up on it cuz it's dated music - he's older now

whitey
07-05-2006, 09:43 PM

WoW 8O

whitey
07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
you fuckin buncha cunts
go listen to some fuckin 3rd rate wu hanger on
seriously yall are idiots i mean theres nothing i can say really, hes dope
sickest battle rhymer ever, politically and socially aware, 4 classic albums with BDP, 2 solo and a lotta dope shit besides that
i cant change your opinions, but i can totally ignore everything you post from now on

werd.

Tetsuo
07-05-2006, 10:08 PM

I know you guys are gonna kill me but I agree with this dude I'm not feeling KRS-One or Public Enemy. Seriously, I have a lot of respect for them because of their influence and the way they changed the game but that doesn't mean I feel them musically. Just because you understand someones impact doesn't mean you can get into their music. It just doesn't appeal to me.

energizer
07-05-2006, 10:25 PM
wow im a bit surprised at people not feelin krs but im shocked at ppl not feelin PE like damn

ShaDynasty
07-06-2006, 05:20 AM
I know you guys are gonna kill me but I agree with this dude I'm not feeling KRS-One or Public Enemy. Seriously, I have a lot of respect for them because of their influence and the way they changed the game but that doesn't mean I feel them musically. Just because you understand someones impact doesn't mean you can get into their music. It just doesn't appeal to me.
have you ever listened to 'it takes a nation of millions to hold it back' or 'fear of a black planet'
if you dont start noddin your head back and forth like a maniac theres sumthin wrong with you
how can you not like pe, whats not to like

Marc051
07-06-2006, 06:57 AM
I bought one Krs album and that was enough to not listen to him ever again. I think he ruins other mc's tracks when he shouts all over them.

FlamingSwordz
07-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Well most of his latest works haven't been great (mostly production-wise), but his past records are classic's in my book, and he's earned my respect as a teacher, and an MC.

Greek Gheynician Anal Tradition
07-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Ha why is he hating on Greece? BTW I love Greece I've been there every summer since I was like seven or eight. In fact Im bout to leave for greece in like a week. I didn't know there were any Wu-heads there.

There are many WU heads here man.He is hatin my country but I dont know the reason |(

snapple
07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
boom bap can be irritating? what year are you from?

CharlesJones
07-06-2006, 04:15 PM
For the fools who said KRS is wack and boring, shut the hell up. How could you not like KRS? KRS is a legend. He always preaches education and intelligence. His lyrics are great and every album he's done back in the day with BDP are classics. Only albums i don't like by him is I Got Next, The Sneak Attack, Keep Right. The fools who said they don't like him, ya'll probably don't like him because he talks about education and knowledge all the time. All ya'll wanna hear about is gangsta shit and sex. There's more to life than that. That's why so many dumb ass black men are locked up or dead now because their stupid asses don't wanna read books and educate themselves. I always will respect KRS for preaching education because that's the only way you can take care of yourself in this cruel world. Some of ya'll said he's arrogant. What rapper isn't arrogant? Most rappers are arrogant.

Chief 'Broom
07-06-2006, 07:28 PM
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=1A79D65666448B83
"ah yeah"

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E73B36106E83EC50
"free mumia"

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=1B151E9E42C0FE5F
"hold"

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=1AF2DA3E775275FB
"health, wealth, self"

Music to my ears (from 95).

PLO-Stylez
07-06-2006, 08:15 PM
every1 can have they own opinion but i love Krs work some of the beats he has had are not that great but he has had dj premier do a few songs for him like "outta here" n "mc's act like they dont know" his work lyrically IMO he is the best I have ever heard . bein on a WU site ppl probably gonna say Gza is the best but i rate KRs higher. his lyrics are great his recent albums been talkin bout hip-hop and its future n where its goin BDP has straight up classics in hip-hop. His newest album Life is straight fire I give it 5 stars outa 5. 5 meanin u can listen to the album from start to finish with some pretty hot tracks nothin wack on this album. Listen to the albums Life, Criminal Minded, KRS-ONE then say u dont like Krs

Da Problem Child
07-06-2006, 10:23 PM
For the fools who said KRS is wack and boring, shut the hell up. How could you not like KRS? KRS is a legend. He always preaches education and intelligence. His lyrics are great and every album he's done back in the day with BDP are classics. Only albums i don't like by him is I Got Next, The Sneak Attack, Keep Right. The fools who said they don't like him, ya'll probably don't like him because he talks about education and knowledge all the time. All ya'll wanna hear about is gangsta shit and sex. There's more to life than that. That's why so many dumb ass black men are locked up or dead now because their stupid asses don't wanna read books and educate themselves. I always will respect KRS for preaching education because that's the only way you can take care of yourself in this cruel world. Some of ya'll said he's arrogant. What rapper isn't arrogant? Most rappers are arrogant.

I didn't read more than 18 words

Definitive X
07-06-2006, 10:33 PM
If ANYTHING, you should at least respect the fact that he killed Nelly with that "Ova There" track...

VernakuLa
07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
If ANYTHING, you should at least respect the fact that he killed Nelly with that "Ova There" track...

yea but its nelly.....

BGS
07-07-2006, 09:31 AM
as krs-one was here in switzerland a friend of mine showed me the ticket...on the ticket was written "NO SMOKING" and i was like wtf?????no smoking on a hip hop concert?is krs-one a non smoker or what?

Kong
07-07-2006, 10:18 AM

check the new album, it may appeal.

snapple
07-07-2006, 11:45 AM
add this for support in the "hiphop is dead" thread